Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
The Flop House Adventure Zone was ok. The character concepts are funny but they have execution problems. The little dude stops singing (mostly) after the first 30 minutes, too. A little bit teenage murderhobo-seque in tone but not a terrible failure or anything. It's fun as a contrasting episode, especially the painful go-nowhere unfunny "I'm sleepin' with the ladies" poo poo that the regular Adventure Zone studiously avoids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
I thought that poo poo was hilarious because it reminded me 100% of what it was like to have to pry nerds off of fantasy sex-having in high school and college.

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost

Tempo 119 posted:

Elliot singing is Flop House's version of sad libs

as a Flophouse-liker i can confirm that this is 100% accurate (although letters songs are way more frequent than sad libs ever were)

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL

Poopy Palpy posted:

I guess the mistake they made was putting switcheroo episodes in the feeds of the show being emulated rather than the feed off the hosts doing the emulating. If you've never listened to JJGo, does it really matter that the McElroys have a guest instead of answering questions? If you only listen to the brothers' podcasts, they're still putting out the same amount of content this week, it's just in a slightly different wrapper.

Yeah, I imagine the thinking was that doing it this way might encourage you to check out other shows, which isn't a bad idea, but it's not like I'm gonna start listening to One Bad Mother just because Dave and Graham are funny. The show might be great, but this week's episode was no indication of anything other than its basic format.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Impermanent posted:

I thought that poo poo was hilarious because it reminded me 100% of what it was like to have to pry nerds off of fantasy sex-having in high school and college.

"Yea you rolled the best possible roll, so you convinced this woman to come back to a room you share with two other guys."

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Crindee posted:

Yeah, I imagine the thinking was that doing it this way might encourage you to check out other shows, which isn't a bad idea, but it's not like I'm gonna start listening to One Bad Mother just because Dave and Graham are funny. The show might be great, but this week's episode was no indication of anything other than its basic format.

I think the thinking might be the other way around. Like, you hear the new hosts being funny, and maybe you'll consider listening to their normal podcast, just in a different format.

Hello Meow
Nov 9, 2009
That actually makes a lot more sense.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I've never listened to Flophouse outside of their awful ad and I thought this episode was really funny. I'm probably gonna give their show a listen now.

I am the target audience of the swap!!

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
The Flophouse is alright but discovering We Hate Movies kind of gently caress up my perspective on movie podcasts and I don't like them as much anymore.

Really I'm just sad the Fury Road storyline got put on hold for that much longer.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Get ready to return to the factory.

Hello Meow
Nov 9, 2009

Yessssssssss

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
The Sawbones swap was pretty good, it's already a relatively dry and low-key show but Ross and Carrie did a fine job with it. I really appreciated that they did a show on near-death experiences that managed to avoid a bunch of "LOL XIANS :rolleyes:" snark while still showing that the evidence is almost entirely in support of the light at the end of the tunnel just being how you experience your brain shutting down and debunking that "woman whose heart fails on the operating table and sees a shoe on the hospital ledge on an out-of-body experience" story that everybody has heard at one point in their life; a big part of the appeal for me is that Sawbones is one of the only shows of its type that isn't run by Penn & Teller style libertarian assholes with an axe to grind and is content to just talk about weird and crazy old medicine.

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

The Flophouse is alright but discovering We Hate Movies kind of gently caress up my perspective on movie podcasts and I don't like them as much anymore.

Really I'm just sad the Fury Road storyline got put on hold for that much longer.

Yeah, We Hate Movies is so good that it's the only bad movie podcast I follow. If you don't listed to it give it a shot, some of their goofs are McElroy-tier. Here's the thread if you need more endorsements or episode recommendations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raGCwMCCnm8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IYnfcijp_8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reaP4iOjqqo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdtoZ4FbvVw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLHIif2E7IE

Sleeveless fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Oct 10, 2015

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Hoooly poo poo. I love this stupid series so goddamn much.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum
Mbmbam Flop House episode is up, but not on the maxfun site yet? (got it from the flop house site)

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

Scudworth posted:

Mbmbam Flop House episode is up, but not on the maxfun site yet? (got it from the flop house site)

For the lazy:

http://www.flophousepodcast.com/2015/10/the-great-switcheroo-adventure-zones-flop-house-takeover/

They have him listed as Merle McElroy instead of Clint.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Hey bigger nerds than me, how many episodes have Haunted Doll Watch? I know the canadian live show has the feminist doll, but I forgot where the others are.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
The way that Clint calls Travis "Travy" when he's being condescending to him is just adorable.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

kidcoelacanth posted:

I've never listened to Flophouse outside of their awful ad and I thought this episode was really funny. I'm probably gonna give their show a listen now.

I am the target audience of the swap!!

For a while, I wasn't sure that the nasally voice guy was a real person. It sounds too much like a guy doing a voice. So I was under the impression it was some wacky promo with the main guy doing characters.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Mr. Fowl posted:

For a while, I wasn't sure that the nasally voice guy was a real person. It sounds too much like a guy doing a voice. So I was under the impression it was some wacky promo with the main guy doing characters.

in the actual podcast he just kinda sounds like a non-Quebecois version of Acierocolotl from the F Plus

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

Mr. Fowl posted:

I thought the same too about our favourite host of MBMBaM: Edward Snowden.

The Phantom Ghost
Feb 28, 2007

hold on what kind of fighting robot is he again
I wonder how Flop House listeners will react to an episode without an irritating song. Will it be like seeing the sun parting the clouds for the very first time

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
Nah, it'll be like an MBMBaM episode with the brothers answering the last Yahoo question.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

The Phantom Ghost posted:

I wonder how Flop House listeners will react to an episode without an irritating song. Will it be like seeing the sun parting the clouds for the very first time

Clint gave it his best shot

The Phantom Ghost
Feb 28, 2007

hold on what kind of fighting robot is he again

kidcoelacanth posted:

Clint gave it his best shot

too bad his voice is like smooth butter

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJBl2tgdmZU

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum
It is thanksgiving and I am thankful for monster factory.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Mods, please change my name to Toucan Dan, the Spooky Kabuki Toucan Man, in rainbow text TIA

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Spooky Kabuki sounds like a monster from the original Scooby-Doo.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Or maybe a crook from the PBS Carmen Sandiego game show.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
In the newest ep I am so happy to hear the bros talking poo poo about all those shady fantasy sports gambling sites that apparently every other podcast in the world is shilling for now.

Also I never get tired of what a bottomless barrel of whimsy Tyra continues to be.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Piano Dad had me nearly in tears. Which was bad since u was driving.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
In all fairness to Travis, I also heard "n-word snare" during that Yahoo Answer.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

MeUndies: Put your vagina in a crisper.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

X-Ray Pecs posted:

In all fairness to Travis, I also heard "n-word snare" during that Yahoo Answer.

I 100% heard it too.

It was a goddamn setup I think.

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL
Sad bad Piano Dad.

Also yeah I absolutely heard "n-word snare" and did the :stare: face.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away
I do not know much about beatboxing but "N-Word Snare" sounds like something you'd read on Yahoo Answers.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I 100% heard it too.

It was a goddamn setup I think.

Griffin forcing Travis to say literally "N-Word Snare", clearly so we'd love Travis less.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

I've listened to The Juice Will Flow like 5 times. Griffin's pokemon run is amazing. It might be perfect. His immediate "yeah Travis, I'm going to open a bug type gym". The same Blastoise....

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I want a supercut of Griffin going on Pokemon rants because it happens a few times and it's always completely incredible.

The one where he's getting audibly enraged by Justin pretending he doesn't know which Pokemon are in the original 151 is my personal favorite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Travis343 posted:

I want a supercut of Griffin going on Pokemon rants because it happens a few times and it's always completely incredible.

The one where he's getting audibly enraged by Justin pretending he doesn't know which Pokemon are in the original 151 is my personal favorite.

Obligatory repost of the Warrior Cats Pokerap.

• Locked thread