Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

I COULD DO THIS ALL DAY

AND I PROBABLY WILL

BECAUSE I COULDN'T AFFORD A BETTER LASER AND A BARE MINIMUM MULTI AND THE ONES THAT COME WITH THE VULTURE ARE REAALLLLLLY BAD

Seriously took about 2 minutes of laser while he just sat there and spun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

So I still have my Vulture from before. Should I go visit Space Khaleesi and work on getting a pretty green shield, or should I go hang out with my icephibian homies?

Join her now, and then three weeks from now you can grind out the merits to get your shields. No point in grinding now unless you've already been in her faction for a month.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Thats an in-game month right? :stare:

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

SynthOrange posted:

Yes. :v:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Adult Sword Owner posted:

A BARE MINIMUM MULTI AND THE ONES THAT COME WITH THE VULTURE ARE REAALLLLLLY BAD

:psyduck: The Vulture comes with class 1 guns, the same as the Sidewinder. Get class 3s!

SynthOrange posted:

An in-game month is a real month. :rip:

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Galaga Galaxian posted:

:psyduck: The Vulture comes with class 1 guns, the same as the Sidewinder. Get class 3s!
gently caress that. I read in National Geographic that having class 3 lasers so close to your cockpit might cause brain cancer. Have you seen the size of those things?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Join her now, and then three weeks from now you can grind out the merits to get your shields. No point in grinding now unless you've already been in her faction for a month.

I've been in her faction since I quit back in June, so that's not a rush.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I didn't math and had 500k left after the buy

Opted for the best shield I could grab because I'd rather kill slowly than lose the ship

Swapped back to my Cobra to get some smuggling runs done though. I also have a week long mission for 600k for kill 22 pirates

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Class 3 fixed pulses are 70 grand each, they won't break the bank.

Lunch! Finally!
Jan 23, 2006

I- I don't even know what you just called me!
The best part of buying a new vulture is when the giant rear end hardpoints open and you see the teeny tiny class 1 laser sitting there.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

ps am no frog posted:

The best part of buying a new vulture is when the giant rear end hardpoints open and you see the teeny tiny class 1 laser sitting there.

And then you think about how big those guns looked bolted onto your starter Sidewinder/Eagle.

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

im judjing all goons cause they have bad leader, so a noral member is associated whith thoose crasy one

Personaly i would quit the goons if i was in cause of thoose crasy ppl
Clapping Larry

ps am no frog posted:

The best part of buying a new Fer-de-Lance is equipping a class 4 cannon in your *massive* slot, and watching the animation.

The worst part is the ~5M loss you take when selling it back, because the Vulture is much better.

Jury's still out on the Fed Assault ship. It's very fun to fly, packs crazy fire-power, but has tissue-paper shields.

Also, less ugly than the Vulture, though that's a low bar.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Is there any trick to finding a pristine/metallic ring planet.

I found the name of one from a google search but its hundreds of LY away and it sometimes takes a whole minute to jump from one place to another because of some lag poo poo.

I want to like mining :/

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I had a chrome Vulture for all of two days before Fed Security rams in RESs kicked me back down to my Imp Eagle, but those two days were glorious

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
gently caress, for a moment today I thought the dense mass of brown dwarfs and growing voids of emptiness between the stars would stop me, but I got lucky and crossed the worst.

Now I'm closing in on the Outer Arm and from there to the edge of the galaxy. If I keep this speed up, I should be back home in December. :v:

Fake Edit:

I found, among other things, another Earth-like and my first 100% pure metal world. Didn't even know those existed, but welp! Here we are.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Took my Mining Asp out for a spin yesterday, and when I was in minimum speed supercruise just over the ring I was going to go mining in, I got to watch at least 3 NPCs fly past and slam into the rings dropping them out of supercruise. Good job interdicting me, assholes :laugh:

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

hakimashou posted:

I found the name of one from a google search but its hundreds of LY away and it sometimes takes a whole minute to jump from one place to another because of some lag poo poo.

Frey and Njikan are close to goon space.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

hakimashou posted:

Head to Frey, fourth planet. Stay at Frey, 4th planet

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Frey is good poo poo.

Just remember to get gass at Garret(?) station and double-check your route on the galaxy map, because I only get brown dwarfs between Frey and 63 Goat.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
So, after looking at the new additions to the ship list, as any of the Federal [??]ships any good? Since the Federal Assault Ship looks like it might be good for some combat and possibly some smuggling on the side, however the 19mil price tag is somewhat unappealing.
Since I've currently got a kitted-out Viper +23mil and am looking for an upgrade option, in case mining doesn't pan out for me. Is the Vulture still the best option, that doesn't require a lot of sucking up to the Empire? Or are there actually other decent alternatives now?
Thanks

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
So, mistakes were made.

Incidentally, the damage model for the Anaconda is quite nice :v:

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Major Isoor posted:

So, after looking at the new additions to the ship list, as any of the Federal [??]ships any good? Since the Federal Assault Ship looks like it might be good for some combat and possibly some smuggling on the side, however the 19mil price tag is somewhat unappealing.
Since I've currently got a kitted-out Viper +23mil and am looking for an upgrade option, in case mining doesn't pan out for me. Is the Vulture still the best option, that doesn't require a lot of sucking up to the Empire? Or are there actually other decent alternatives now?
Thanks

Get a Vulture. It has very beefy shields, big guns, turns on a dime, and most important it is big enough to death ram Haulers when try to dock. It can easily take on any NPC ship, including Anacondas.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

The Vulture's greatest crimes are its best weapons loadout is boring, poor jump range, and it looks :mediocre:.

Otherwise it is a kickass ship.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Also it has an incredible amount of windshield and I just imagine it's really great with an Oculus

I'm ruining all sorts of slave's lives to build up cash to arm it now

e: I got scanned with a ton of illegal poo poo and the fine is less than the bounty I got blowing up a guy who interdicted me outside of the station.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

What should I be looking for in weapons? Aside from lasers and multicannons, the other weapons ammo capacity look ridiculously tiny and would dry up shortly in a fight?

timn
Mar 16, 2010
The Vulture will treat you extremely well and can be completely A-fitted for ~20 mil including the base ship IIRC. If you want to branch into higher volume mining/trading on the side, you can keep saving and rank grinding to trade in for an imperial clipper, and after that eventually a Python when you are space-rich. Once you have a Python you no longer give a gently caress because it's unfairly good at everything.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

The Vulture's greatest crimes are its best weapons loadout is boring, poor jump range, and it looks :krad:.

ftfy

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
When in doubt, buy pulse lasers

They're really boring but work well

Galaga Galaxian posted:

The Vulture's greatest crimes are its best weapons loadout is boring, poor jump range, and it looks :mediocre:.

Actually it looks awesome because it looks like someone took two big ol' engines and strapped a cockpit to them.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Heh, alright then, I might just get a Vulture then, as it sounds like it's still widely considered to be the best option - I didn't realize it could take out Anacondas without (too many) troubles, either.
(Also reminds me of my memories flying the Solano in X3:TC. Tiny ship, but I managed to take out a Xenon Q with it after around 30min playing cat-and-mouse around an asteroid, bypassing its shields by firing copious amounts of munitions at it with my twin mass drivers. :allears: I might name my future Vulture the RJRS Solano after it, even. Good times, those were)

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Insert name here posted:

When in doubt, buy pulse lasers

They're really boring but work well

Actually it looks awesome because it looks like someone took two big ol' engines and strapped a cockpit to them.
And the cockpit looks like a helicopter gunship from the inside.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Eh, I would've prefered if Core Dynamics had just made it look kinda like a larger Eagle

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

My friend SWEARS by beams but I find them really annoying because you have to be on all the time and gimbaled sucks at range

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
I flew a vulture around for a while in low intensity combat zones. I had 2 gimballed pulse lasers and an A class shield. Anything below an anaconda was easy money. Anacondas were bit tougher because it took a while to destroy the hull, but even then if I could get them engaged with a couple other ships as well it was easy, good money.

I have an explorer Asp fitted right now and have made a couple small excursions. What are the best stars to look for to find earthlike/water/terraformable metal planets? F G and K?

knockout
Apr 27, 2014

my reputation's never been worse, so
I am stuck in witchspace?

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

deadlyrhetoric posted:

I jumped for literally my final jump for my final run and I've been here for probably 100 seconds

God dammit

e: poo poo just dropped to reality

knockout
Apr 27, 2014

my reputation's never been worse, so

Adult Sword Owner posted:

I jumped for literally my final jump for my final run and I've been here for probably 100 seconds

God dammit

e: poo poo just dropped to reality

Finally made it out but I was at a solid two to three minutes. That was my first jump back from a few month hiatus. I thought they might have changed something and was freaking out.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
What's a good fit for a Vulture, and where's the closest spot in Goonspace where I can get the necessary gear?

timn
Mar 16, 2010

deadlyrhetoric posted:

Thargoids :tinfoil:

Has anyone noticed that NPCs sometimes stop and roll in place lazily for a few seconds in combat? I was thinking it might be a temporary module malfunction, but I think I've seen this happen before even breaking through their shields.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

timn posted:

Thargoids :tinfoil:

Has anyone noticed that NPCs sometimes stop and roll in place lazily for a few seconds in combat? I was thinking it might be a temporary module malfunction, but I think I've seen this happen before even breaking through their shields.

I'm seeing this happen a lot in RES sites, as well as seeing larger ships like Clippers and FDL's unceremoniously suicide into rocks seconds after I start shooting at them. I mean I still get the bounty, it just seems unsporting.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

deadlyrhetoric posted:

Finally made it out but I was at a solid two to three minutes. That was my first jump back from a few month hiatus. I thought they might have changed something and was freaking out.

Past few days some jumps have taken hell of long, it's weird

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

What's a good fit for a Vulture, and where's the closest spot in Goonspace where I can get the necessary gear?

Xihe is the nearby go-to system for outfitting. There's a high tech station there. This is my build.

At its most basic, slap on a pair of C3 guns (I like gimbal pulse; some people will do a laser and a canon, do whatever), a large FSD (its range is pretty bad), and chaff. You'll need a bigger power plant and/or module management if you're using high-level shield boosters and cells. That'll be enough for you to go stomp an RES. Beyond that, it's just beefing up the things that usually make sense to beef up (power distributor, thrusters, etc.). My build probably isn't min-maxed for shield capacity and such, but the Vulture doesn't need much help to dominate NPCs, and against players it'll be more a matter of pilot skill than gearing.

• Locked thread