Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Good call, the hd release isn't going to be priced that high either.

It's 3 weeks until Halloween! still time for good horror games

SOMA(PS4, PC) is the newest title from Frictional Games. you explore an undersea base filled with monsters and robots.

If you played and enjoyed Amnesia: The Dark Descent you should really really get SOMA. It approaches its story way clearer and way better than TDD does and it has differentiated and cool monster designs. Plus the non-violent npcs are neat and a few of the puzzles are engaging without being overly hard. the visuals are really cool too and it's obvious that Frictional spent a lot of time and effort to make this game the best it could be. I think it's great! This game is also way more streamlined than TDD, it doesn't have an inventory system and you don't have to keep your light source fueled (though I have noticed the light get a little dim if it's on too long, you can just flick it off and back on to fix that). There is something of a health system that is kind've of a detraction from the game for me but I could see how it's probably there as a concession to gamers that don't play a lot of horror titles like this. It's something you can kinda game to help you beat the game easier so I'll tag it getting hit by a monster causes your screen to go black, you wake up in the same spot with a fuzzier screen and a slightly reduced walk and run speed. You can 'fix' yourself by either completing some scripted events or by finding a health bulb. This is pretty easy to use to your advantage like if you need to use a chip on a door to proceed to an area but there's a monster in the hallway. You can just sprint to the door and if the monster hits you you're pretty much home free the second you regain control. If you played TDD or something else like Outlast you might find that you experience your first death several hours into the game or even not at all. Not to say the game is too easy because it isn't. you're given a lot more spaces to 'breathe' in. Something I think SOMA handles better than TDD does. In SOMA the majority of monster encounters are pretty unique to the area where in TDD you had the Butchers that were either scripted or could sometimes spawn, which kinda kills the tension if you know which is which. In SOMA the flow is clearer and these areas are obvious. Monster encounters are very clear cut and you don't have to worry about one spawning just because you read a book or something. Speaking of, SOMA hands out tons of optional lore stuff for you to read or listen to that's really great. You might guess story details correctly before they happen but the game still manages to be pretty engaging.

SOMA on the PS4 looks and plays great. highly recommend looking into this one if you're already interested in it

frank.club fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Oct 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.
SOMA is sick

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

It's friggin awesome. Just finished a powerful session.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

one thing i think I might have missed about SOMA do they ever explain who actually downloaded your brain into the dead chick and why?

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

one thing i think I might have missed about SOMA do they ever explain who actually downloaded your brain into the dead chick and why?

I assumed it was the WAU but I could be wrong.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
I'm playing Doom I & II for my halloween gaming sesh

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

ArfJason posted:

theres a niche series of SNES games called 帰ります (Hepburn romanization: Goubak-Tsu) which is fairly light on the horror and is considered as a nice introduction to people less brave. Never released outside of japan but luckily a fan group recently translated the best entry Grand Battle Stand, so as your october play recommendation, i suggest Goubak-Tsu: GBS

belated drat to the man jason

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

SAW the Game was so bad that they removed it from steam. One of my friends streamed it one halloween, and while it has some jump scares that game was funny as hell to watch. Just a suggestion to celebrate the lighter side of halloween.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

I assumed it was the WAU but I could be wrong.

It has to be everyone else in the station is either a scan that hasn't been activated or uploaded into a robot. The WAU was probably looking for another puppet and found your scan and shoved it into a corpse without knowing that you'd gain sentience. It must've used some WAU goop too because you can heal from the WAU bulbs

Oh actually there's a little conversation that confirms that the WAU brings you back because it still maintains a directive to bring back humanity

Ending is crazy
Seriously one of the best horror games I've ever played

frank.club fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Oct 12, 2015

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

the new wii u fatal frame comes out next friday, which I might pick up.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

In Training posted:

the new wii u fatal frame comes out next friday, which I might pick up.

I'm intensely jealous. I'm going to try the hardest difficulty of Isolation and Silent Hill 2.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.
i fuckin LOVE spooky games

i bought Parasite Eve sometime ago and never got around to playing it so now seems like a good time to give it a go, it's a spooky-ish game, right?

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Thanks for the recommendation but when I tried to find that game but when I searched 帰ります it just sent me to some kindle book

:confused::confused::confused:

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

i bought Parasite Eve sometime ago and never got around to playing it so now seems like a good time to give it a go, it's a spooky-ish game, right?

It's spooky and a well made RPG. Second one also holds up pretty well

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

*says a prayer for net cafe scandal*

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Wormskull posted:

*says a prayer for net cafe scandal*

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
I will download the RErelease of the excellent RE REmake for the 360 2nite

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

mycophobia posted:

I will download the RErelease of the excellent RE REmake for the 360 2nite

i really wanted to buy this but steam wouldnt put it below 15 bucks

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

ArfJason posted:

same I already own it on gamecube I'm not paying that much for a port of a game I already own and failed to get through due to laziness

think I burned out since I tried to play it directly after shotgunning in one sitting the intense mediocrity of resi zero

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

same I already own it on gamecube I'm not paying that much for a port of a game I already own and failed to get through due to laziness

think I burned out since I tried to play it directly after shotgunning in one sitting the intense mediocrity of resi zero

i havent played re ever

zero is the rebecca one right?

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ArfJason posted:

i havent played re ever

zero is the rebecca one right?

Yes. The gameplay isn't bad but it seems kinda like it had a rushed development. The RE1 remake for GameCube is excellent, the red skull zombies do a lot to make the game even more tense than it was on psx. It's really like a polished classic experience. Didn't know it was on PC

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

frank.club posted:

Yes. The gameplay isn't bad but it seems kinda like it had a rushed development.

It has a few interesting spins on the classic RE formula but its just kind of a really boring game like not a lot happens in it

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

It has a few interesting spins on the classic RE formula but its just kind of a really boring game like not a lot happens in it

Its biggest problem I think is that its story isn't very clear. Mainly it's the fact that you don't even encounter the main antagonist, or even know who he is, until very late in the game. The level design was also clearly thrown together without much thought. If I remember right this is the game with the elevator that moves in impossible directions

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

i kinda want to replay the REs. I remember really liking 2 and 3 and not so much 1. 4 was good too but different.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

I'm downloading Until Dawn and will start it tomorrow night

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm doing Nightmare Isolation rn. I'm broadcasting it but I'm still in the opening area

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

ArfJason posted:

There's a Capcom Humble Bundle that has some RE games in it maybe they'll toss that one in

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Pablo Gigante posted:

There's a Capcom Humble Bundle that has some RE games in it maybe they'll toss that one in

im holding my breath until they reveal more beat the average games

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's fall in your animal crossing towns now guys

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

frank.club posted:

oh man im gonna have to pick a hundred weeds

Rhycool
Jul 15, 2012

frank.club posted:

Cardigan Isabelle is my favorite Isabelle

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Yeah very much so. Lots of horrifying genetic abominations in dark hallways, I just recently played this for the first time like a month ago and had fun with it, but it is extremely easy

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
parasite eve 2 scared me as a kid despite the monkey funny no. 9 guy lol

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
this mix of fmv and 3d models was miraculous back then

https://www.youtu.be/APHrYEeXMhQ?t=711

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

Pouring one out for everyone who can't play PT this Halloween

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

Games I'm gonna play this October/Halloween:

-Silent Hill 2
-Fatal Frame 2
-Resident Evil HD Remake

Maybe I'll finally finish Alan Wake as a breather between these very good and very scary games. I was near the end I think but the combat was so boring that I dropped it.

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
vampire: the masquerade - bloodlines is $4.99 on steam right now. it's not really a horror game, but does have a few scary parts sprinkled in like forcing you to interact with homeless people. it's still an awesome game that everyone should play. it can be kinda buggy so get the unofficial patch

Soral
May 30, 2009

"Wii U - Fatal Frame: Maiden of Black Water Extremely Spoopy Trailer"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-cIGX8kE_g

Famous TV Dad
Nov 1, 2011

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

I'm downloading Until Dawn and will start it tomorrow night

I just finished that a couple of days ago. Its cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ModsBanForJokes
Apr 16, 2014

Famous TV Dad posted:

I just finished that a couple of days ago. Its cool.

I want to play it once normally and then see how quickly I can get intentionally get every character killed

• Locked thread