Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

1) Does anyone know what the leasing situation is for a '16 GT? Does the '15 GT have any glaring first-of-the-generation issues, or would that be a good bargain if I can get a cheap lease on a '15?

[snip]

Boats like the Camaro are out.

I own a 2014 Mustang and have driven the poo poo out of a Camaro, and the Camaro is hands down more fun to drive. It doesn't feel any heavier than the Mustang, but it is substantially more composed on the road. The GT weight about the same and while the visibility on the Camaro is bad, it's livable, especially with a backup camera.

That being said, if RWD isn't a must, the WRX is the most fun I've ever had in a car. It's quick enough on the road, but holy gently caress is it a rocketship in the corners.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

skipdogg posted:

The Focus RS, while balls to the wall awesome, is a 15,000 dollar drive train shoved into a 20K car and you can see the compromises on the feature sheet. The RS is definitely more polished than the SRT-4 ever was, but the comparison is still valid.

While I agree, we were talking about the Golf R which is exactly the same thing (albeit a bit softer and more practical)

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

dissss posted:

While I agree, we were talking about the Golf R which is exactly the same thing (albeit a bit softer and more practical)

I think the bit in the parenthesis is exactly what makes it not the same thing though.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

pik_d posted:

I think the bit in the parenthesis is exactly what makes it not the same thing though.

It's still an expensive performance model based on a very cheap car.

Kinfolk Jones
Oct 31, 2010

Faaaaaaaaast

PT6A posted:

Question: how many people actually give a poo poo about their interior beyond functionality? My parents' cars are works of art on the inside, if you care to look at them, but I don't. I want the radio and HVAC controls to be trivial to find and use, the gauges to be clear to read, a good place to set my drink, an ashtray if any modern manufacturers can be bothered, and that's about it. I don't think I could tell you what materials my car's interior is made out of, or even draw a reasonable approximation of anything but the gauge cluster. Everything else is only important insofar as I can manipulate it without having to look at it.

Like many have already said, the interior is the place you spend most of your time. If a car has a sub-par interior, I'm really not interested. One of the reasons I didn't give a whole lot of thought to a WRX/STi before going with the Mustang. If Subaru ever got their interiors up to par, I might consider buying one.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Kinfolk Jones posted:

Like many have already said, the interior is the place you spend most of your time. If a car has a sub-par interior, I'm really not interested. One of the reasons I didn't give a whole lot of thought to a WRX/STi before going with the Mustang. If Subaru ever got their interiors up to par, I might consider buying one.

Same. I liked pretty much everything else about the outback I drove, but the interior just turned me off.

Cars models in a given segment are pretty close in most areas so lagging behind on the interior is sometimes all it takes to be a dealbreaker.

Well laid out controls that are easy to understand and get at with nothing weird like a handbrake on the wrong side of the console with nice feeling soft touch is all manufacturers need to do to keep me happy.

Another example of an interior that turned me off an otherwise well suited car: toyota venza. The loving shifter on the dash what the hell.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Kinfolk Jones posted:

Is that solely a materials used thing? To me the design and layout of the Subaru interiors are vastly better than the Mustang.

Kinfolk Jones
Oct 31, 2010

Faaaaaaaaast

dissss posted:

Is that solely a materials used thing? To me the design and layout of the Subaru interiors are vastly better than the Mustang.

There just isn't anything I like about Subaru interiors. The designs feel old and plastic-y, the infotainment systems are terrible, and I never liked the controls. Especially the steering wheel ones. This may sound crazy, but I can't stand that the MPG meter only does increments of 0.3. I know those aren't accurate, but it's just a detail that drove me crazy when I had a 13 Forester as a rental for 6 months. On the other hand, I love Ford interiors. Just my personal preference I guess.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
BMW M2 Revealed

365hp, no price announced. I'm guessing mid $50k range. As much as I like how it looks I think I'd have trouble picking it over a GT350 w/ track pack.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

dissss posted:

This is just me, but I've had an 07 legacy and family/friends own pretty much every Subaru model since the early 00s, and they've *all* been seriously lacking in front legroom.

edit- 'cept the current gen Legacy/outback, which has about the same front legroom as my Focus wth.

smooth jazz fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Oct 14, 2015

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I have a 36" inseam and I don't even have my seat back the whole way on my WRX.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

bull3964 posted:

Yeah, I loving hate Subaru interiors but front leg room is NOT lacking. In my friends WRX I always feel like I have entirely too much room, and he's 6'5" and doesn't have the seat even close to all the way back.

Also I prefer the ST interior to a golf interior. The dub is nice, just...plain, and not any nicer feeling to me.

Although, I'd take an RS with plaid recaros :v:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

david_a posted:

The interior is the part you actually see when you use the thing so I think it's very important. I get depressed sitting in other people's cars that are a mess inside. I was sort of cross-shopping a Mini and a GTI but once I sat in a GTI the Mini was no longer in the running. I don't know if that Mini is one or two generations old by now, but the interior was pretty drat bad with these stupid air vents and goofy switches and that dumb center-mounted speedometer etc etc.

When I'm using the thing, I'm looking outside. If the bits that I use (HVAC, basic radio controls, and shift knob) are appropriately arranged and feel nice to use, I'm happy. I couldn't give a gently caress what they look like or are made of, ultimately. The seats should be comfortable as well, but I don't give the slightest gently caress what they look like.

KillHour posted:

Part of this is you're the kind of person that smokes in their car. The kind of people that want all the fancy interior stuff don't normally smoke in their car.

Then why does my Dad's Mercedes have an ashtray (including in the back seats) while my Mustang does not? The last time I smoked in the car was about a year ago anyway because I enjoy a cigar when I'm on a highway for 6 hours, but that's not really the point. More important is the fact that literally every part of my Dad's vehicle is less pleasant to interact with as a driver, than my Ford, even if it looks much nicer in a photo and feels softer when you touch it. I'm not saying that interior design is not important, I'm saying that it cannot be judged by how expensive it is or how expensive it looks. I want my cockpit to be functional and comfortable; if it looks ugly as sin, I'd much rather that than impaired functionality.

EDIT: Interior design is quite important, but I dislike the notion that something that "looks cheap" is inherently worse than something covered in leather and polished wood. Either it's effective to use, or it's not; placing the buttons and knobs correctly should require only a trivial amount of money. Only the placement of the mechanical linkages should require any kind of actual engineering skill anyway.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Oct 14, 2015

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Mange Mite posted:

We had a guy on here complaining about power steering before, and he is still less nutty than the guy mad about key fobs.

And then there's just the dumb ones like the guy who thinks there's this one weird trick to increase engine power for free that car companies hate because ???

Weird, who would be dumb enough to think that?

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

PT6A posted:

Then why does my Dad's Mercedes have an ashtray (including in the back seats) while my Mustang does not?

Because Europeans still smoke like Americans did in the 1960's. The 2005 E55 I owned had more ashtrays than my 1968 Mercury.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

iwentdoodie posted:

Yeah, I loving hate Subaru interiors but front leg room is NOT lacking. In my friends WRX I always feel like I have entirely too much room, and he's 6'5" and doesn't have the seat even close to all the way back.

bull3964 posted:

You guys are weird

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

david_a posted:

I was sort of cross-shopping a Mini and a GTI but once I sat in a GTI the Mini was no longer in the running. I don't know if that Mini is one or two generations old by now, but the interior was pretty drat bad with these stupid air vents and goofy switches and that dumb center-mounted speedometer etc etc.

The vents, switches and placement of everything is an homage to the original Mini, the good one. It doesn't really work in a car that's not small or quirky because there's no actual need for the type of switch gear or the placement of any of it. The original mini had all that poo poo and placed it where it was because the entire car was a masterpiece in packaging. The new ones? Not so much. And it gets sillier year on year as they bring out larger and larger 'Minis'

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
The 'upside' of those larger Minis is that when you see a Cooper running around, it now looks smaller than it used to.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

They're all still ugly as poo poo though.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

kimbo305 posted:

The 'upside' of those larger Minis is that when you see a Cooper running around, it now looks smaller than it used to.

Even though it's way huge now.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

PT6A posted:

Question: how many people actually give a poo poo about their interior beyond functionality? My parents' cars are works of art on the inside, if you care to look at them, but I don't. I want the radio and HVAC controls to be trivial to find and use, the gauges to be clear to read, a good place to set my drink, an ashtray if any modern manufacturers can be bothered, and that's about it. I don't think I could tell you what materials my car's interior is made out of, or even draw a reasonable approximation of anything but the gauge cluster. Everything else is only important insofar as I can manipulate it without having to look at it.

I spend all of my time in a car, in the car. If it's a racecar, well, it's not supposed to be driven in on a daily basis. And on that premise, the RS would be fine.

But given that it's nominally supposed to be the sport model of a daily driver, and actually driven daily, I say the interior matters a lot.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Sigma X posted:

I spend all of my time in a car, in the car. If it's a racecar, well, it's not supposed to be driven in on a daily basis. And on that premise, the RS would be fine.

But given that it's nominally supposed to be the sport model of a daily driver, and actually driven daily, I say the interior matters a lot.

This. If you're buying the RS to solely drive on a track, you don't care about the interior. If you're buying it (as I suspect most people buying hatchbacks are) as a fun daily driver, you care now or shortly after you buy it and realize how much sense it makes to commute in a car made for the track.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

I daily drive in a 2004 base model RAV4 with a cassette deck. The RS interior will be more than fine for daily driving. I commute an hour each way to work and I bring a Bluetooth speaker with me so I can listen to podcasts. As long as I don't have to do that and the recaros are equal to or more comfortable than whatever is in the RAV4 I will be fine. The golf r interior wasn't anything particularly fancy. The best interior in a car I've driven was in a fully loaded BMW 335 xi that I had for a month while my car was repaired from getting rear ended but the Beamer doesn't make me smile like an idiot.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

iwentdoodie posted:

The WRX must have more room than the Legacy then. A coworker has a Legacy (probably a generation old) and the legroom in the front passenger seat is incredibly snug. Granted, I'm 6'7", but this is among the worst I've sat in. Part of it is that the glovebox is too low so I can barely get my legs under it.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

The newest road rocket from Lexus does its best BMW M5 impression – just not the M5 you'd think.

:smugmrgw:

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Amusing article for sure. Especially the line about fuel economy.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

oRenj9 posted:

I own a 2014 Mustang and have driven the poo poo out of a Camaro, and the Camaro is hands down more fun to drive. It doesn't feel any heavier than the Mustang, but it is substantially more composed on the road.

They key thing is you're comparing an older solid rear axle Mustang to the IRS Camaro; the new 2015+ Mustangs are also independent rear suspension just like the 5th gen Camaros. A solid axle is always less composed over bumps.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

dissss posted:

As for the Focus I don't like the layout very much - too disorganised, too many buttons but I don't see much wrong with the material choices. That tiny little low res LCD is pretty out of place looking though, at least on the 2013 model I'm familiar with.

The only thing I don't like about our Focus is the cruise control button locations. I have to look at the wheel to find them every time.

Other than that, everything is fine. Granted we have the bigger touchscreen and a lot of the buttons on the dash are redundant as a result, but it's never felt terribly disorganized.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Guy who was supposed to become new VWOA chief has already quit

quote:

​Well that didn't last long: Reuters reports that Winfried Vahland, designated to become the next chief of Volkswagen's U.S. division, is quitting the company, allegedly over differences of opinion over VW's new U.S. strategy.

Vahland, who served as head of Volkswagen Group's Skoda unit, was intended to join VW's brand management as part of the reshuffling after VW Group CEO Martin Winterkorn resigned as the scandal over Volkswagen's emissions-cheating diesels unfolded.

In addition to being the favorite for a new position overseeing U.S. operations, unnamed sources told Reuters ​that Vahland was being considered as a successor to Winterkorn as CEO.

:lol:

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators

Wonder if it had to do with this.

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/10/14/30-vw-managers-knew-emissions-cheat/

He might have been one of the 30. So much for "individuals" we're the only ones that knew.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

KidDynamite posted:

I daily drive in a 2004 base model RAV4 with a cassette deck. The RS interior will be more than fine for daily driving. I commute an hour each way to work and I bring a Bluetooth speaker with me so I can listen to podcasts. As long as I don't have to do that and the recaros are equal to or more comfortable than whatever is in the RAV4 I will be fine. The golf r interior wasn't anything particularly fancy. The best interior in a car I've driven was in a fully loaded BMW 335 xi that I had for a month while my car was repaired from getting rear ended but the Beamer doesn't make me smile like an idiot.

Yea, it's not the interior plastics people are talking about.

Have fun commuting in a car with suspension, tires, and chassis tuning all set up for track use. After you come back in the future to talk about how happy you are with how quickly the RS can scoot through an on-ramp, hit up Amazon for one of these. You'll thank me later.

As to the track car thing... If you're spending ~$40k on a track toy and didn't buy a used Porsche or Corvette you hosed up, son.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Wheeee posted:

Have fun commuting in a car with suspension, tires, and chassis tuning all set up for track use. After you come back in the future to talk about how happy you are with how quickly the RS can scoot through an on-ramp, hit up Amazon for one of these. You'll thank me later.

Not everyone is looking for a DD or full time track car. My fun car doesn't need all the creature comforts that the R has.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Wheeee posted:

It's ok dude I got a big 'ole but.

Edit: Joking aside the car has select-able suspension settings dude.

KidDynamite fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Oct 15, 2015

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
The GS-F looks awesome. drat son look at those seats.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
id rather DD a Focus RS instead of some lovely driving truck or SUV

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

go3 posted:

id rather DD a Focus RS instead of some lovely driving truck or SUV

Yeah, but what if someone offers me a free RS and I need to tow it home? What then? You just never know.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Just saw some weird VW test mule. Basically the size of a 4dr gti but taller like the Ford Transit Connect mini van type things. Also had dual exhaust cutouts in the rear bumper. What was it?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

BlackMK4 posted:

Just saw some weird VW test mule. Basically the size of a 4dr gti but taller like the Ford Transit Connect mini van type things. Also had dual exhaust cutouts in the rear bumper. What was it?

new touran?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Well, that's it. Interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I both hate it and as a parent am intrigued.

Competitor to Kia Rondo/MB B-Class/Chevy Orlando? Also dear departed mazda 5