Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Does it work with any other mods? Does it require any of the regular DE fixes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Jeoh posted:

Why the gently caress would they redo the music?

I dunno man. Upon further review, yeah, the redone music kinda sucks. It's far too soft, it seriously lacks the oomph the original soundtrack had.

Compare the original: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4ZTyFL39ts

With Revision's: http://edenshard.bandcamp.com/track/another-kind-of-question

Xander77 posted:

Revision? No, I just bought DXGotY on Steam, then downloaded Revision right off its Steam page, then hit play.

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

Another unfunny, threadshitting knob-end.

Jeoh posted:

Why the gently caress would they redo the music?

I'm as much of an Alexander Brandon fanboy as any other classic DX fan, but I get the impression that it's trying to go for a full remaster/reimagining (REVISION, get it?) vibe. How successful it is on the whole remains to be seen, but I don't mind the sound of the redone soundtrack from what I've heard so far, it's a more ambient version of the punchy UMX score. You can swap between them on the fly AFAIK so it's just a matter of personal preference.

I'll probably flip between them, i love love love the sound of Brandon's classic UMX tracks but I also dig the idea of making them more McCann-esque.

Also all the redone models are HDTP I think (which is supposed to be an updated version with more redone models) and most people ITT have been lukewarm towards them for a long time, there should be a place in the options menu for turning them all to the original models, as well as picking which specific ones you want to keep, in case you want the juxtaposition of old polygonal low-res-texture models and borderline Reboot reject models to be even more jarring.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Moartoast posted:

Also all the redone models are HDTP I think (which is supposed to be an updated version with more redone models) and most people ITT have been lukewarm towards them for a long time, there should be a place in the options menu for turning them all to the original models, as well as picking which specific ones you want to keep, in case you want the juxtaposition of old polygonal low-res-texture models and borderline Reboot reject models to be even more jarring.

I only see options to disable the character models, not the first person ones.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
don't gently caress with the music retards that's the most timeless part of the game GGGGGGRRRRR

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Xander77 posted:

Shifter and Biomod are built in, you can choose between Vanilla, Shifter and Biomod from the options menu.

You can also turn off the new soundtrack and use the original music if you think the new stuff is bad or, like me, you have some kind of primal attachment to that Unreal/Deus Ex sound font.

Dr Snofeld fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Oct 13, 2015

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Dr Snofeld posted:

Shifter and Biomod are built in, you can choose between Vanilla, Shifter and Biomod from the options menu.

A nice feature.

This is a shot at Valve and not the creator, but I'm surprised that they didn't force him to charge at least $2.99 for it on Steam.

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

JustJeff88 posted:

A nice feature.

This is a shot at Valve and not the creator, but I'm surprised that they didn't force him to charge at least $2.99 for it on Steam.

Should probably shoot that at Square Enix considering that... Well, they're Square Enix. Steam selling free games and free mods isn't too uncommon, in fact the latter was very common in the early days of Source Engine mods, it's just that it's way more practical to just use Desura in most cases nowadays.

Also, the in-game description doesn't say much, is Biomod supposed to be an extension of Shifter? As in, is Biomod just Shifter but with more stuff in it? I'm pretty sure it is but it's been a long while since I paid attention to that stuff and the in-game Revision option presents them as two entirely separate thing.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

I enjoy that after download DX Revision via Steam, the thing won't actually play :waycool:

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Linguica posted:

I enjoy that after download DX Revision via Steam, the thing won't actually play :waycool:

What a shame.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Dr Snofeld posted:

You can also turn off the new soundtrack and use the original music if you think the new stuff is bad or, like me, you have some kind of primal attachment to that Unreal/Deus Ex sound font.

OK, well that is all good news then.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Moartoast posted:

Should probably shoot that at Square Enix considering that... Well, they're Square Enix. Steam selling free games and free mods isn't too uncommon, in fact the latter was very common in the early days of Source Engine mods, it's just that it's way more practical to just use Desura in most cases nowadays.

Also, the in-game description doesn't say much, is Biomod supposed to be an extension of Shifter? As in, is Biomod just Shifter but with more stuff in it? I'm pretty sure it is but it's been a long while since I paid attention to that stuff and the in-game Revision option presents them as two entirely separate thing.

Biomod expands on Shifter, it dramatically changes the augs so that some of them are passive (always on and using no power) while other will (de)activate automatically. It also adds the ability to mantle up ledges like Thief, but on the flipside your swimminh skill is now a general athletics skill and you have to put at least one level in it to move and jump at vanilla DX levels. There's also a few little extras like the ability to play in Unrealistic mode (everyone has random crazy weapons) and new incendiary grenades that randomly appear on corpses.

I can't remember if Shifter re-added the cut content like the VoIP call you can eavesdrop on or Smuggler's friend actually showing up in his base after you rescue him from MJ12, but if not then Biomod does that.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

OK turns out I needed to press alt-enter to force the game into windowed mode because it was freaking out with my dual monitors (I assume)

But now the brightness slider doesn't work so the game is so dark I can't see anything :waycool:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

gently caress, I can't save. My hard drive is too big, and caused the games signed integer counter for storage space to roll over to negative. Why would you use a signed integer for that?

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

KillHour posted:

gently caress, I can't save. My hard drive is too big, and caused the games signed integer counter for storage space to roll over to negative. Why would you use a signed integer for that?

Y2K

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

KillHour posted:

Welcome to ION Storm's coding skills.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

closeted republican posted:

Welcome to ION Storm's coding skills.

To be fair, this glitch wasn't possible to activate back then :v:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Counterpoint: DeuxExe fixed that poo poo years ago. Why wasn't that fix included?

Also, first impressions: It's too loving dark. Holy poo poo, an outdoor area should never be pitch black.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

KillHour posted:

Counterpoint: DeuxExe fixed that poo poo years ago. Why wasn't that fix included?

Also, first impressions: It's too loving dark. Holy poo poo, an outdoor area should never be pitch black.

Well JC Denton never takes off his shades.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Sleeveless posted:

you have to put at least one level in it to move and jump at vanilla DX levels.

This was actually fixed. Also if you type 'skillsforkills' in the console, it re-enables Shifter's xp system so you can finally once again be rewarded for flushing toilets. Also to people having difficulty with brightness, somethings up with your poo poo because my brightness is just fine and I can change it via the menu like usual.

edit: Actually skillsforkills doesn't seem to work in Revision.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Oct 13, 2015

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
I remember DX with DX10 being darker than normal but not minding it much. Try opening your advanced preferences window (hit your chat key, remove "say", and enter in "preferences") and look in there.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Right off the bat I can tell they didn't fix the Flashlight being the same button as the one for Steam's screenshots. Is there any way to go about changing it?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Momomo posted:

Right off the bat I can tell they didn't fix the Flashlight being the same button as the one for Steam's screenshots. Is there any way to go about changing it?

If you hit SHIFT+ENTER and click on settings at the bottom, you can change the Steam screenshot key. This is a pretty silly thing to complain about.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

You can also go into the game's key binds and change the flashlight key...

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

KillHour posted:

You can also go into the game's key binds and change the flashlight key...

Actually, you can't. You can only assign a key that also counts as F12. F12 is always a flashlight toggle.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

This was actually fixed. Also if you type 'skillsforkills' in the console, it re-enables Shifter's xp system so you can finally once again be rewarded for flushing toilets. Also to people having difficulty with brightness, somethings up with your poo poo because my brightness is just fine and I can change it via the menu like usual.

edit: Actually skillsforkills doesn't seem to work in Revision.

quote:

Allowed Shifter's skill system to be toggled with the variable bNewSkillSystem or by typing 'skillsforkills' into the console

Appears to exist in Revision.ini with it already enabled. You might need to add it to DeusEx.ini's gameinfo section. Or it could be that you need to also edit the ini files in the Deus Ex folder in the windows documents folder.

quote:

Open up DeusEx.ini and hit ctrl+F to bring up the find window. Find the text "[DeusEx.DeusExGameInfo]". At the bottom of the section, add this line:

bNewSkillSystem=True

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Oct 14, 2015

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan
Gotta love that mouse acceleration that can't be disabled. (And no, tweaking ini's doesn't work)

The devs put off releasing this game for months and they didn't think to maybe address the horrible mouse acceleration.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Party Plane Jones posted:

Appears to exist in Revision.ini with it already enabled. You might need to add it to DeusEx.ini's gameinfo section. Or it could be that you need to also edit the ini files in the Deus Ex folder in the windows documents folder.

It is already enabled by default! I just didn't notice because I wasn't knocking out anybody because the goddamn baton isn't where it usually is. I feel so lost without the baton.

Mr Scumbag posted:

Gotta love that mouse acceleration that can't be disabled. (And no, tweaking ini's doesn't work)

I have zero mouse acceleration so I'm not sure what your issue is. Perhaps it's a windows mouse setting somewhere?

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Oct 14, 2015

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
If anybody is bored and wants to see Revision in motion, I'll be broadcasting via Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/solidsnakesbandana/

I'm going for non-lethal and no guns, though I am sad to learn that pepper spray counts as a gun so I may or may not break the no guns challenge. I'm also a save-scummin' son of a bitch, if that bothers you at all.

edit: Done.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Oct 14, 2015

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Alabaster White posted:

Actually, you can't. You can only assign a key that also counts as F12. F12 is always a flashlight toggle.

Yes, but then you don't have to take a screenshot every time you use the flashlight, at least. I guess the opposite still happens - you turn the flashlight on whenever you take a screenshot.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Linguica posted:

OK turns out I needed to press alt-enter to force the game into windowed mode because it was freaking out with my dual monitors (I assume)

The game won't play for me either, and I only have one monitor. No error messages or anything, so I can't even start figuring out what's the problem is.

Do I need to download Deus Ex as well?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Played Revision tonight, made it to the Mole people in one sitting. All-in-all, very enjoyable. There's a ton of new enemies everywhere, and a lot less lockpicks/multitools. Nothing mind-blowing though. The city areas are really cool and look like an actual city now, but if you're familiar with the original levels it's hard not to feel like some of it is just pointlessly superfluous. It's given me a new respect for the old level design, effectiveness through simplicity. I was hoping for something along the lines of Black Mesa, but this does not reach that level of polish. It kind of reminds me of playing the PS2 version, which also changed up the levels a bit.

I will say this: there's waaaaay too much foliage. Like drat, trees and bushes everywhere. What kind of dystopian future is this?!

edit: BTW, you get skill points for taking people out and for flushing toilets, but sadly not for being stealthy. Shifter used to be able to tell how many guys you left standing and gave you skill points for each one.

Xander77 posted:

Do I need to download Deus Ex as well?

Yes.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Oct 14, 2015

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

I'm a sucker for modders going balls-out with overdetail so I'm loving some of the ridiculous changes, poo poo like changing plain grey utilitarian hallways into massive ridiculously detailed areas all their own is the stuff that gets me going, as much as I do respect Ion Storm's original use of well-designed simplicity, as visually ugly as it may have gotten sometimes.

This all reminds me of those weird ports of PC games you'd get on random consoles waaaaay back in the day that would gratuitously change whole levels, soundtracks and lighting to make them fit a different-but-familiar mood from their original source. The new soundtrack reminds me of how the Doom 3DO music compared to the original, I'll take the original soundfont-y goodness any day of the week and some of the tracks don't translate so well, but it's still real neat to hear smoother-sounding, ambient reinterpretations of the classics.

I did find a pretty exploitable bug at the very start, though I don't know if it's just a vanilla DX bug that slipped by both me and the modders: You can get the crowbar, multitool and lockpick from the starting area, talk to Paul and get whatever, then run out and get shot to death, start a new game with the exact same JC skin and skills, and the game will start you off with what you picked up before death while respawning everything and giving you another set of starting gear (including medpacks). I was able to repeat this loads of times, even when my inventory was full from all the respawning starting gear, it just like, "buffered" it so that more poo poo would appear after I emptied my inventory. Really specific stuff seems to reset this pattern, but you can still save & load between each death in case you mess something up.

Look, if I exploit this, I'm totally not being a lame rear end in a top hat doing the equivalent of opening console and giving myself a bunch of multitools and lockpicks and medpacks because it's a feature ok it's different don't judge me don't look at me

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

What. The mod is 5 gb, while the original Deus Ex is 700 mb. And it (supposedly) only downloads if you have the original in your library. The hell.

Impressions:

For some goddamned reason, none of the default key binds are updated. Reload is still left bracket, toggle zoom is still "x". So, great priorities from the very start.

The HD models look creepy as gently caress.

Ahahaha - if you lure Paul to help you out, he'll use non-lethal weapons against the NSF. On the other hand, if you lure Paul and the UNATCO troops towards the robot:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6ug8Jh-vn0

Koburn
Oct 8, 2004

FIND THE JUDGE CHILD OR YOUR CITY DIES
Grimey Drawer

I was hoping the HDTP faces would be optional. Is there no way to turn them off?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Koburn posted:

I was hoping the HDTP faces would be optional. Is there no way to turn them off?
They are. You can. Still creepy though.

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

Welcome to HDTP, the singular mod that's bothered to touch the character models, and been exemplifying why we should probably leave them alone for years now.

Also while I get what they're trying to do with the new intro environment (making it more like the PS2 port's CG intro) it was probably a bad idea to make janky-looking looping CG gifs such a focal point, just make an updated version of the hand over the globe that's so iconic and good that even HR recreated it. Unless that was there and I was just too distracted by the screens, whatev's.

Koburn posted:

Nah there's still the same options menu HDTP's always had. Only thing you can't turn off are the weapon models, which is a bit of a bummer but it's not nearly as distracting as the characters unless you're just that nostalgic for the old guns and broken GEP gun FOV.

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner
Thief had that saving problem as well, try duplicating a big file.

I've got the Gog version of DX, is this purely steam only?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Prenton posted:

I've got the Gog version of DX, is this purely steam only?
Deus Ex is 1.39$ on steam atm. Just get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Something that really bears repeating about DX:Revision is that, by default, the gameplay is almost 100% vanilla. Just some bugfixes and AI tweaks in there.

If you want it freshened up, go into the Game Options menu and either pick Shifter or Biomod. The latter adds the most new features. Combined with the new maps (especially the later ones, if the preview shots/videos are any indication), it should make for a pretty fresh experience.

Also, don't try to get smart and install the DX10 renderer, because not only does that cause bugs with Revision, but runs worse.