Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
I was 11 when I played FFX? gently caress it, Rikku gave me a boner, no shame in that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

i finished ff10 HD last night.
Jecht is actually a really hard boss if you haven't done any of the optional stuff before.
it's weird and anti-climactic that you have auto-life for the final boss. what was the point of that? did they think people would power level their summons so they would be unbeatable?

Eternal calm was a thing i guess. Good job on having everyone call Wakka fat and still use his six-pack ab model.

On to 10-2. 10 minutes in and this game's a mess.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Attitude Indicator posted:

i finished ff10 HD last night.
Jecht is actually a really hard boss if you haven't done any of the optional stuff before.
it's weird and anti-climactic that you have auto-life for the final boss. what was the point of that? did they think people would power level their summons so they would be unbeatable?

Eternal calm was a thing i guess. Good job on having everyone call Wakka fat and still use his six-pack ab model.

On to 10-2. 10 minutes in and this game's a mess.

Well Jecht is the REAL Final Boss, the rest of it is just theatrics at that point. I think even the game realized that. Yu Yevon especially, I mean for goodness sake he's susceptible to Zombie and two phoenix downs. But I also figure they felt "Well if they have all the Aeons, they don't want to beat Jecht only to be stone walled by the loving Magus Sisters or Anima." I mean It is a long period to go without a save. And thematically it fits, the Fayth want to die. Yu Yevon is a pathetic being, he's literally a tick who's been sucking away at life to sustain himself. At this point you have defeated the Aeon meant to destroy Sin. Nothing else is a challenge.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

I guess, but I think it's bad game design to have the final boss just be busy work.
Also, yunalesca is apparently a dog in the HD remaster. I got the trophy for killing her while smashing some random dog in the desert way before you get to zanarkand

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Attitude Indicator posted:

I guess, but I think it's bad game design to have the final boss just be busy work.
Also, yunalesca is apparently a dog in the HD remaster. I got the trophy for killing her while smashing some random dog in the desert way before you get to zanarkand

Well it depends on your point of view. The final boss is Jecht to me. The rest is just the narrative tying itself up.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Yeah, it's like how the duel at the end with Sephiroth isn't the final boss, or how final phase Orphan isn't the final boss.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
After the long, gruelling and exhilarating fight with Jecht, pumped from the music I had enough of the fighting, but the fight with Aeons was effective for me and really, really sad - here I was, killing allies that ware probably the only reason I was able to go this far for the sole reason of killing some idiot who was too much of a coward to fight and/or die properly. Not being able to be defeated was just an anti-frustration measure, at this point it was more of a cutscene than a fight.

Why Yu Yevon was such a chump, especially considering you have super Auto-Life on, is a bit of a mystery, though - he could have thrown some unique Ultima or Flare re-colour, instead he really was just pathetic and less of an issue than the very first boss. Fitting, really, but to lose Aeons to kill this idiot is such a waste.

"It sucks."

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Szurumbur posted:

After the long, gruelling and exhilarating fight with Jecht, pumped from the music I had enough of the fighting, but the fight with Aeons was effective for me and really, really sad - here I was, killing allies that ware probably the only reason I was able to go this far for the sole reason of killing some idiot who was too much of a coward to fight and/or die properly. Not being able to be defeated was just an anti-frustration measure, at this point it was more of a cutscene than a fight.

Why Yu Yevon was such a chump, especially considering you have super Auto-Life on, is a bit of a mystery, though - he could have thrown some unique Ultima or Flare re-colour, instead he really was just pathetic and less of an issue than the very first boss. Fitting, really, but to lose Aeons to kill this idiot is such a waste.

"It sucks."

Honestly Yu Yevons patheticness puts into perspective what you have to give up to kill him. Tidus and Auron have to die, the Aeons have to literally be taken behind the shed because they are so tired at this point, and this is after reaffirming hard that sacrificing yourself for others isn't good. Tidus took on Yuna's role as she released the role of willing to kill herself for everyone else, Tidus made peace with his own death.

and he's literally a tick, sucking away at the lives of others to keep surviving. You can't even simply stop with the destruction of Jecht and the Aeons, you MUST kill Yu Yevon the loving parasite that he is.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I thought Yu Yevon was the final boss because I beat Jecht before he even had a turn I think

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Replaying FFX thirteen years later as a 31 year old dude made me realize how well done and fitting that ending actually is. Back then, hotheaded, barely out of his teens, old me didn't recognize any of that and just shrugged it off. But now I could see it for what it was.

It ends on a perfect note where the idiotic main character finally learns you can't solve a worldwide problem with just optimism and the wrong notion that no one had to sacrifice themselves. Of course you had to: it's a worldwide problem. Someone has to do the metaphorical toilet scrubbing. Even the final interaction between Tidus and Jecht, while not impressively written, is just right. "There's nothing that we could say here that would change anything, let's just get it done." Bang.

Hell, the whole auto-life thing against Yu Yevon is also not properly presented, but the meaning is there and is powerful stuff: those dudes will fight to the very end to kill that tick that prey'd on a world for a thousand years, no turning back, no chance to die. Of course the game represented that in a way the battle engine would understand, which is just auto-life and that makes it seem lame instead of cool, but eh.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Another thing to consider. The main thing that breaks Tidus is upon the destruction of Home hearing that Yuna has to die. This is a secret everyone kept from him because they knew it would shatter him. Tidus then finds out that he'll have to die to stop Sin, and he doesn't tell anyone. He pulls the exact same bullshit that Yuna and the others did, for the same reasons. No one would have helped him if it means that he would die. They would have struggled to find a way when a way didn't seem to exist. That's how it looked when it was Yuna needing to perform the final summoning, and Tidus specifically kept it from them until it was too late to make a difference.

He's completely taken Yuna's role in the story, from hiding the truth to making decisions that would save everyone else even if it meant him dying. He couldn't stop the cycle of death without dying himself. And he took the rest of the Dream Zanarkand with him. I'm not sure the game makes it clear (It doesn't) but that's still a physical place, it's off the shore of Spira. That's why Jecht reached it by boat and Tidus woke up at sea. I've said it before and I'll say it again, A games writing may not be the most stellar thing, but so long as its theme is great and worked in well, I'll forgive a lot. FFX is not without its problems. But it does its themes well, and as much as it beats you over the head about the Cycle of Death, it doesn't take the time to flat out explain what Tidus's sacrifice means for his character arc.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
So remind me, what was the reason that you HAD to summon and kill all of your Aeons in the final battle? I mean, Yu Yevon was powerless without an aeon to possess, so why even give him the weapon?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Schwartzcough posted:

So remind me, what was the reason that you HAD to summon and kill all of your Aeons in the final battle? I mean, Yu Yevon was powerless without an aeon to possess, so why even give him the weapon?

Because as long as the Aeons exist, he will always have a host. By killing them one by one, the Fayth can finally rest and he can't exist without the fayth anymore.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Schwartzcough posted:

He is a summoner, so he will summon them and infect them if you don't.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
WTF is with summoners in Final Fantasy games? They all bad bitches.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

What happens if you get to the end without getting the secret summons do they still show or does the game pretend they don't exist?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

You kill them, too. In fact, all the aeons have a custom "kill me" message. One of the Magus Sisters asks you not to be sad.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

If you have Sensor instead of saying like "weak to fire" or whatever yeah they have messages to you directly. Anima says "thus I atone"

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Tae posted:

Because as long as the Aeons exist, he will always have a host. By killing them one by one, the Fayth can finally rest and he can't exist without the fayth anymore.

Ehhh, then why do YOU have to summon them instead of him? Make him do the work.

Plus, X-2 goes and shits on this conclusion anyway. The whole thing about X was the Fayth wanting you to kill Yu Yeven so they could be at peace and die or whatever. But then in X-2- They're back! "Sure, we can bring Tidus back for you, why not? We could've done it any old time, we've got nothing better to do!"

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Schwartzcough posted:

Because when Yu Yevon summons them, they become Sin

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Schwartzcough posted:

Plus, X-2 goes and shits on this conclusion anyway. The whole thing about X was the Fayth wanting you to kill Yu Yeven so they could be at peace and die or whatever. But then in X-2- They're back! "Sure, we can bring Tidus back for you, why not? We could've done it any old time, we've got nothing better to do!"

The FF10 EU managed to somehow be worse than the FF7 EU, I try not to think too hard about it.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Crisis Core was a good game with an overall good story for a ff

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
Actually the point of X was ending the whole downward spiral Spira was wrapped up in and the point of X-2 was pretty much the euphoria of getting out of the electronic chair and moving on with life and slapping the people who want to go back to that stuff. Yuna getting Tidus back in the golden ending was basically the Faith thanking Yuna for saving their asses and the world twice and rewarding her with some arm candy because the girl has been through a lot of poo poo and deserved a break.

That audio drama is garbage though.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Where does Tidus kicking a bomb and exploding fit into all this because it's the pivotal moment the entire X series had been building to the entire time.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Mega64 posted:

Where does Tidus kicking a bomb and exploding fit into all this because it's the pivotal moment the entire X series had been building to the entire time.

It fits into the trash

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Mega64 posted:

It fits into getting at least something humourus out of the entire fiasco.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Folt The Bolt posted:

It fits into getting at least something humourus out of the entire fiasco.

Is this the gaming equivalent of the Onion? What did I just read.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

bloodychill posted:

Is this the gaming equivalent of the Onion? What did I just read.

Yes

Seraphna
Oct 12, 2015

GalaxyTrail CM
I have a new favorite site to randomly read stuff on. Kudos.

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

I posted this in the FFX LP, and I'm sure this thread will like it too
http://auronlu.hubpages.com/hub/fansub

Apparently there is a part 2 that can be seen on the internet wayback thing

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So this is an odd question but I'm thinking about playing an FFVII mod with jot classes and it made me think of something.

Original FFVII has customization but it's not on part with FFVIII or FFX, is it? In those games anyone can be as good at anything as others if you invest the time. In X everyone has clearly defined roles but you can escape those simply enough and make Yuna whack people for max damage with her dumb rod.

Is that possible in FFVII? I never tried to make Aerith a physical powerhouse and I just wasn't sure if it was possible or not.

Cocksmith
Dec 28, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

NikkolasKing posted:

So this is an odd question but I'm thinking about playing an FFVII mod with jot classes and it made me think of something.

Original FFVII has customization but it's not on part with FFVIII or FFX, is it? In those games anyone can be as good at anything as others if you invest the time. In X everyone has clearly defined roles but you can escape those simply enough and make Yuna whack people for max damage with her dumb rod.

Is that possible in FFVII? I never tried to make Aerith a physical powerhouse and I just wasn't sure if it was possible or not.

The only major difference between FF7 characters are limit breaks. She'll do pretty much the same damage as everyone else assuming similar levels and equipment.

Cocksmith fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Oct 16, 2015

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Really? I guess it's been too long since I played the base game then since I recall her being a poo poo physical fighter. Others meanwhile, like Barret or Cid, have poo poo magic stats.

But maybe that's all the mods talking.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

NikkolasKing posted:

Really? I guess it's been too long since I played the base game then since I recall her being a poo poo physical fighter. Others meanwhile, like Barret or Cid, have poo poo magic stats.

But maybe that's all the mods talking.

You probably had her in the back row.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I think characters can end up pigeonholed at certain points of progression just from the weapon stat curve. But like everything numerical in the vanilla game, you can completely override it with the correct materia.

So if you're used to mods, that exact reason is why mods often focus on giving characters unique stat spreads and nerfing materia stat bonuses/focusing on materia stat maluses.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cocksmith posted:

The only major difference between FF7 characters are limit breaks. She'll do pretty much the same damage as everyone else assuming similar levels and equipment.

This is incorrect. There's actually a fairly significant stat difference between characters. It isn't enough that you can't use Aerith as a physical fighter if you want but it's significant enough that she'll be doing much better as a mage.

FF7's easy enough it doesn't matter though.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy
Aeris is a poo poo physical fighter and will do much less damage than others because of weapon stats and poor strength

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Aeris is so bad that after a certain point she'll be doing no damage with her physicals.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Mega64 posted:

Aeris is so bad that after a certain point she'll be doing no damage with her physicals.

:golfclap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
I would avoid putting Aerith on the front row because she usually can't take a hit without dying