Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

A. Beaverhausen posted:

I'm hoping we get something like Lang's "knotty pine" or Basset's "butleeeeeeer" this season.

This would be even more apt if it had happened to the detective. Missing kids will bring poo poo on ya apparently.

We're just one episode in. Have faith.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

I'm wondering if their similarities may be a plot point? Like maybe in the Shining film, when the house, depending on your interpretation, Jack Torrance either had a look-alike in the past or a reincarnation in the future and the house led him back. Maybe the hotel does too.

Ryan Murphy couldn't be that deep though, could he?

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Come to me .... and live forever.

The Saddest Rhino posted:

if the rapeghost is supposed to be this season's Twisty i'm going to be so annoyed

Part of me hopes that happens so he'll be gone in four episodes.

So far it seems The Ten Commandments Killer is being set up as the main baddie, though not a supernatural one.

And what was up with that ghoulish guy that came out of the Swedish girls' mattress?

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

OmegaBR posted:

And what was up with that ghoulish guy that came out of the Swedish girls' mattress?

At first glance I thought it was Pepper or Salt.

Dienes posted:

We're just one episode in. Have faith.

It is Ryan Murphy :allears:

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ĄTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!
Writer: And then the man comes out of the mattress and the Dutch girls scream, and-
Ryan Murphy: And then we play Hotel California!?
Writer: No, Ryan, not yet.

Writer: And then Gaga and Matt Bomer slits the couple's throats and drinks their blood, and-
Writer: No, Ryan, not yet!

Writer: And then Kathy Bates pushes Sarah Paulson out the window, and-
Writer: YES, RYAN! AND THEN WE PLAY HOTEL CALIFORNIA!

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

they should have played Hotel California during the rapeghost sequence to up the shitmetre

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Guys - so the witches didn't go so hot with the Stevie Nicks.
And the whole freak show/Mars thing with David Bowie didn't go so hot.
I got...
A hotel.
And we'll play hotel calfornia in the first episode.
And lady gaga is gonna be all sexy and mysterious and blood and psssshhhaww

Ryan Murphy is the Michael Bay of schlock.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
He's lucky he has the cast he has, and that the recurring actors with different roles is its thing. Makes it a little more watchable to me.

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Guys - so the witches didn't go so hot with the Stevie Nicks.
And the whole freak show/Mars thing with David Bowie didn't go so hot.
I got...
A hotel.
And we'll play hotel calfornia in the first episode
And lady gaga is gonna be all sexy and mysterious and blood and psssshhhaww

Ryan Murphy is the Michael Bay of schlock.

The Stevie Nicks fan and the Life on Mars song were the best parts of their seasons, imo.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
You guys, what if every episode ends with a montage set to Hotel California?

Every. Single. One.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Parasol Prophet posted:

You guys, what if every episode ends with a montage set to Hotel California?

Every. Single. One.

the american audience is the true horror story happening

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

El Tortuga posted:

Writer: And then the man comes out of the mattress and the Dutch girls scream, and-
Writer: No, Ryan, not yet.

Writer: And then Gaga and Matt Bomer slits the couple's throats and drinks their blood, and-
Writer: No, Ryan, not yet!

Writer: And then Kathy Bates pushes Sarah Paulson out the window, and-
Writer: YES, RYAN! AND THEN WE PLAY HOTEL CALIFORNIA!

I swear the only reason I wasn't more annoyed by this (and people sound really annoyed by this) is I just got through watching Fear the Walking Dead, which picked LA as a setting and then did absolutely not a single thing with it. Not one. They didn't even have the budget for zombies so Los Angeles just got raptured and looked, of course, like Canada. So the fact that this actually used it's setting throughout the episode made me give the tiniest bit of mercy, I guess.

Less mercy though for how predictable the whole vampire scene played out. It was obvious what they were going to do, to the point it just was a "get on with it already."

The Saddest Rhino posted:

they should have played Hotel California during the rapeghost sequence to up the shitmetre

They should have had rapeghost singing Hotel California

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

And lady gaga is gonna be all sexy and mysterious

Almost worthy of a lies gif. Vampire Gaga looks like Marylin Manson having a full on 90s goth crisis. I just can't find that hot.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Oct 13, 2015

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.

Blazing Ownager posted:

Vampire Gaga looks like Marylin Manson having a full on 90s goth crisis. I just can't find that hot.

With no eyebrows (ok, they are there but you have to actually look for them) and huge rear end forehead she is not attractive. If they are going for the 'sexy vampire seductress' put some eyebrows on this woman.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

The girls weren't Dutch.

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.
I didn't do a re-watch and missed the first few minutes, but weren't they speaking French?

CHiRAL
Mar 29, 2010

Anus.
Gaga looks awesome. I love it when she gets ugly, beats all those pretty girls I can't tell apart :j:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Sarah posted:

I didn't do a re-watch and missed the first few minutes, but weren't they speaking French?

Sounded like Norwegian to me, but they were referred to as Swedes in the show, so I dunno

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Blazing Ownager posted:

Less mercy though for how predictable the whole vampire scene played out. It was obvious what they were going to do, to the point it just was a "get on with it already."

Yeah that scene had zero impact for me because I willingly sat through every season of True Blood. Even though it'd be kind of predictable I guess, since Gaga's character is Countess Elizabeth I hope at some point she goes full Bathory in a bathtub full of blood. At least it'd be something that True Blood didn't do.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

King Vidiot posted:

Yeah that scene had zero impact for me because I willingly sat through every season of True Blood. Even though it'd be kind of predictable I guess, since Gaga's character is Countess Elizabeth I hope at some point she goes full Bathory in a bathtub full of blood. At least it'd be something that True Blood didn't do.

I dunno, we already had a bathtub full of blood last year..

I'd like to take this opportunity to share my dream AHS season: CAMP. Set it in Minnesota in the 80's at a summer sleepaway camp. Pay homage to Friday the 13th obviously, maybe work in some Nightmare on Elm Street subplot material. Center the camp on a lake and make a lake monster, there's another subplot. I've always heard this urban legend about a psycho who puts razor blades in a water slide, that would be perfect too. Would this not be amazing?

Death Zebra
May 14, 2014

King Vidiot posted:

Assuming you're just talking about bathing in blood, Hostel 2 already did this. Well, it was more of a shower because the victim was suspended above the bathtub and then sliced open.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

timp posted:

I'd like to take this opportunity to share my dream AHS season: CAMP. Set it in Minnesota in the 80's at a summer sleepaway camp. Pay homage to Friday the 13th obviously, maybe work in some Nightmare on Elm Street subplot material. Center the camp on a lake and make a lake monster, there's another subplot. I've always heard this urban legend about a psycho who puts razor blades in a water slide, that would be perfect too. Would this not be amazing?

That could be a neat season, I admit, but honestly it sounds better suited to being it's own contained show.

Me? I'd like to see a season about a major company in the 80s with all the worst of 80s corporate behavior, except the company is revealed to be more and more ludicrously evil at it's core (and not just in the normal sense). I've always had soft spot for that kind of aesthetic, though. It definitely allows for a wide variety of hosed up characters and behaviors they get away with thanks to money.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
American Horror Story: The Devil's Advocate.

Pointless unless they can get Al Pacino to come back and make that face again, though.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

haveblue posted:

American Horror Story: The Devil's Advocate.

Pointless unless they can get Al Pacino to come back and make that face again, though.

Wasn't 100% what I was thinking, yet, that'd be kind of awesome in it's own right.

Hey, Al Pacino I've heard is to the point in his career he's cranking out overseas direct to video poo poo, maybe they really could get him.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I'm four or five episodes into Freak Show right now and it's just bland. There's no real drive or plot so far. Murderhouse had the hosed up house full of ghosts and the family falling apart. Asylum had aliens, demons,nazis and a serial killer, sure that's a lot of moving parts but it was interesting and things happened. Coven while it kind of tanked at the end at least had the whole "Who will be the next supreme?" going through the whole season. This one just seems to be episode after episode of character building with nothing happening.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
It doesn't get better.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
My dream season is American Horror Story: Plantation.

The antebellum Deep South. Just think of all the hosed up poo poo they could do with that. :allears:

Blazing Ownager posted:

Vampire Gaga looks like Marylin Manson having a full on 90s goth crisis. I just can't find that hot.

She looked way better in the flashback scene near the end when she had eyebrows.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Quite liked episode one of hotel. That vampire sex scene was one of the best things in the show to date.

Also like the set-up of there being one moral character in the show - I hope he stays that way. The last two seasons kind of faltered by having no one you could actually side with/like enough.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

FourLeaf posted:

The antebellum Deep South. Just think of all the hosed up poo poo they could do with that. :allears:

It's too bad they already blew their load on the LaLaurie plot in coven.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Calico Heart posted:

Also like the set-up of there being one moral character in the show - I hope he stays that way. The last two seasons kind of faltered by having no one you could actually side with/like enough.

Yeah part of what had me so invested in Season 2 was that we had Lana as a recognizable protagonist in a horrible situation and we rooted for her, and in the end she gets what she wants after going through hell.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

King Vidiot posted:

Yeah part of what had me so invested in Season 2 was that we had Lana as a recognizable protagonist in a horrible situation and we rooted for her, and in the end she gets what she wants after going through hell.

Yeah 3 and 4 shifted away from having main characters who were getting spooked and into being just about the supernatural/crazy/etc characters who should be doing the spooking. I imagibe Hotel will focus mainly on them as well but having the detective and his little family side story may help ground it some.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

King Vidiot posted:

Kit too. The first couple episodes set him and Lana up as sympathetic, wrongly imprisoned "forbidden love" characters. Then we have the opposite with Jude who becomes more sympathetic as we learn about her background and as she loses power and is locked up herself.

Freak Show kiiiinda tried to do this with the whole "freaks are people too!" bits like the diner sit-in but that never really went anywhere.

Calvin Johnson Jr.
Dec 8, 2009
It boggles my mind how much of a decline there was after season 2. Is there any real reason for this? I feel like the show has turned into tumblr pandering where I imagine each line being written to turn into a gif or some poo poo.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

Calvin Johnson Jr. posted:

It boggles my mind how much of a decline there was after season 2. Is there any real reason for this? I feel like the show has turned into tumblr pandering where I imagine each line being written to turn into a gif or some poo poo.

Most of Ryan Murphy's shows tend to do this and this really is the serious answer. For Nip/Tuck, it was lauded at first as a sexy, crazy different medical drama. So he amped up the crazy more and more, giving what the people want until they didn't want it anymore because it wasn't good. For Glee, they loved the original covers of music and it didn't hurt that sales of the music files in various forms and concert tickets sold like hotcakes, so he got more and more rights to popular songs and again, gave the people what they wanted until it was just too much and not enough substance. It seems he's doing it now with this.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Pan Dulce posted:

Most of Ryan Murphy's shows tend to do this and this really is the serious answer. For Nip/Tuck, it was lauded at first as a sexy, crazy different medical drama. So he amped up the crazy more and more, giving what the people want until they didn't want it anymore because it wasn't good. For Glee, they loved the original covers of music and it didn't hurt that sales of the music files in various forms and concert tickets sold like hotcakes, so he got more and more rights to popular songs and again, gave the people what they wanted until it was just too much and not enough substance. It seems he's doing it now with this.

In some cases he didn't bother to get the rights. Plagiarism, ahoy!

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Tonight on American Horror Story: "Chutes and Ladders"

Fashion mogul Will Drake brings couture to the Hotel Cortex; a model catches the Countess's eye; John learns about the hotel's sadistic first owner.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

So the mattress ghoul was the guy who got raped by the Addiction Demon?

Edit: Wait no that's happening now and that happened then.

Oh hey, Gaga's talking.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Oct 15, 2015

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Asiina posted:

It doesn't get better.

Episode 11 down and you're right it still hasn't. I was prepared for it to be lame but goddamn I at least expected some sort of story.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I said "gently caress you!" out loud at "Maybe we can binge House of Cards."

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.
I'm surprised she didn't just kill him then and there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
anti vaxxers are scum

• Locked thread