Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Away all Goats posted:

It bugs me when a character is looking for a vehicle, finds a car or truck or whatever, opens the sun visor and the car keys fall right in their lap.

Who does this? Is it more common in rural areas or something? Why wouldn't you just take the keys with you?

I prefer that to the hotwiring scenes where they just fiddle around under the steering wheel for a few seconds off the camera and the car starts.

I guess it would make sense at a beach and didn't want to get them wet/shove them in your shoes, or if you didn't have pockets for whatever reason. I've never personally known anyone who does it in real life though - maybe some people keep a spare set up there? Who knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Gargamel Gibson posted:

Yeah, just trolling. Peace.

Fair play then lad.

Gargamel Gibson posted:

Han Solo's "I'll see you in hell" line in The Empire Strikes Back bugged me as a kid. Does that mean that there's Christianity in space? It's just a figure of speech but it raises a few questions.

I wondered this as well, and I recall that Uncle Owen said something like "there'll be hell to pay" about not getting the moisture harvest in or something. Fortunately, the incredi-nerds of the Extended Universe have us covered.

Memento has a new favorite as of 10:35 on Oct 13, 2015

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!
For the car keys in the blinds thing.

When I spent time in South Dakota, that's what they used to do in their cars or tractors. They'd never lose their keys that way. It was easier than keeping it in your pocket when you were doing farm work where they might fall out, and you'd never be able to find them. The closest neighbor was miles away, and the closest small town was a couple of hours, with a pop of around 200 people.

In other, very small towns in rural locations, people know your car. They know who drives it. They'll know if someone's in there that's not supposed to be in there. If you're that weirdo that only goes to the shop on occasion, people take note of it.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Memento posted:

I wondered this as well, and I recall that Uncle Owen said something like "there'll be hell to pay" about not getting the moisture harvest in or something. Fortunately, the incredi-nerds of the Extended Universe have us covered.

I figured that they weren't speaking English anyway and we were just getting a translation that made sense to us. Well, apart from the fact that I never thought about it at all until just now.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Knowing Lucas, we should be glad it wasn't reconnected so that Hell is actually just a really famous prison planet.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Fuckin' Geonosis was close enough, IMO

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Memento posted:

Fair play then lad.

quote:

Chaos, referred to as Hell in Corellian mythology and also known as The Void,[1] was a reputedly dark[2] region of the Netherworld of the Force inhabited by the spirits of deceased Dark Lords of the Sith[3][4], Dark Jedi, and the spirits of all evil sentient beings who had died.[source?] In Naboo mythology, Chaos was envisioned as a dark pit kept closed by six impenetrable gates.

That's the dumbest thing I've ever read.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Plus I'm pretty sure the concept of 'hell' isn't an exclusively Christian one. It's just some place where people get tormented in the afterlife.

Zaphod42 posted:

Jesus christ of course there's something that dumb in the EU.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Morpheus posted:

Jesus christ of course there's something that dumb in the EU.

I was going to say "alright imagine that scene if he said 'I'll see you in plimdarrrr which as we all know is a black hole that grinds up tortured space souls forever'" but they already did it in the EU.

Ancient greeks had tartarus. Zoroastrians had The Chinvat Bridge which I am just reading about now and sounds bad rear end. Christianity didn't get to any ideas first.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Yeah that's is from a universe where some sort of sentient spider runs a black market weapons dealership out of an asteroid belt. Which actually sounds like a Rick and Morty character.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

In Naboo mythology
?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Henchman of Santa posted:

Yeah that's is from a universe where some sort of sentient spider runs a black market weapons dealership out of an asteroid belt. Which actually sounds like a Rick and Morty character.

That spider was pretty cool though, even if his coolness was tainted by having even indirect contact with Prince Xizor

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Here's a stupid one. I was watching Star Wars with my 4.5 year old. First time I'd seen it in forever.

How does R2D2 get around? Seems like even on tatoonie, which is all sand, there'd be a rocky obstacle at sone point. Wouldn't he be hosed? Even getting traction in sand can be difficult. And are there no stairs in the Star Wars universe? A simple raised platform in a spaceship would have him effectively stuck.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

BiggerBoat posted:

Here's a stupid one. I was watching Star Wars with my 4.5 year old. First time I'd seen it in forever.

How does R2D2 get around? Seems like even on tatoonie, which is all sand, there'd be a rocky obstacle at sone point. Wouldn't he be hosed? Even getting traction in sand can be difficult. And are there no stairs in the Star Wars universe? A simple raised platform in a spaceship would have him effectively stuck.

Uhh R2D2 has rocket jets dude. They show em in the prequels.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

BiggerBoat posted:

He's just not supposed to so he's doing it through robot pluck and gumption. R2 is an astromech and he's designed to fix ships while either rolling around on the outside of the ship or while plugged into a droid-shaped socket. That whole trilogy would be better if it was just the heartwarming story of a plucky droid that won't take stairs for an answer.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Lil dude is a hero. He literally fucks the death star when he gets the chance (tell me that data probe ain't shaped like that for a reason), and then helps discover the weakness would be literally shooting it in the rear end in a top hat.

Guy needs a medal way more than anyone else in the movie, that's for damned sure.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
Guy curses like a sailor, though.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Star Wars would be R-Rated if R2 or Chewie got subtitles.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

BiggerBoat posted:

theironjef posted:

He's just not supposed to so he's doing it through robot pluck and gumption. R2 is an astromech and he's designed to fix ships while either rolling around on the outside of the ship or while plugged into a droid-shaped socket. That whole trilogy would be better if it was just the heartwarming story of a plucky droid that won't take stairs for an answer.

This is half of the answer. The other half is... doesn't he have like tank treads effectively? The movies never really show his wheels very well, although I'm probably forgetting some single shot somewhere.

The physical R2D2 used for filming just had roller wheels but I always got the impression that he had like a big rubbery wheel under each of those pads that would have like.... rubber fins on it?

Put one of those under each pad and he'd get around on sand just fine. Rocks would still be an issue but he could back up and turn around, and people could help him if he gets really really stuck.

Plus 'droids are waaaaaaay smarter than any robot that we can make yet, so by simple virtue of artificial intelligence he can probably analyze the loving poo poo out of any rocks in his path and calculate the exact ideal angle of approach or whatever. He IS an astromech droid after all.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

BUBBA GAY DUDLEY posted:

Uhh R2D2 has rocket jets dude. They show em in the prequels.

Well, there's my answer then. Of the prequels, I only ever saw Phantom Menace, and that was enough. I knew I was skewering a sacred cow and opening a can of worms going after Star Wars when I posted it.

It was just something that stuck out for me watching it for the first time since forever, with my kid, and seeing that little fucker escape from the Skywalker complex, which was multi tiered. They lived in a hole/cave complex. A reverse apartment building practically. R2 made his way out of there, into the desert and navigated canyons. Somehow.

I'm being irrational here, dude. Work with me.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

BiggerBoat posted:

Well, there's my answer then. Of the prequels, I only ever saw Phantom Menace, and that was enough. I knew I was skewering a sacred cow and opening a can of worms going after Star Wars when I posted it.

It was just something that stuck out for me watching it for the first time since forever, with my kid, and seeing that little fucker escape from the Skywalker complex, which was multi tiered. They lived in a hole/cave complex. A reverse apartment building practically. R2 made his way out of there, into the desert and navigated canyons. Somehow.

I'm being irrational here, dude. Work with me.

Neo did it.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Zaphod42 posted:

Yep, it's basically a retcon for "ahh poo poo some of the star warriors said the word Hell, better incorporate it into the extended universe because just ignoring it and watching the movies and having fun is something none of us or our fans are capable of doing".

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.

Memento posted:

Yep, it's basically a retcon for "ahh poo poo some of the star warriors said the word Hell, better incorporate it into the extended universe because just ignoring it and watching the movies and having fun is something none of us or our fans are capable of doing".

Hurry! Someone is having fun the wrong way! Make them stop!

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
On the flip side, Star Wars EU is also really bad about having made up terms for things that exist in the real world simply because it's IN SPACE. Like toilets are called 'freshers and instead of "poo poo!" when something goes wrong you say "sithspawn!"

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

AnonSpore posted:

On the flip side, Star Wars EU is also really bad about having made up terms for things that exist in the real world simply because it's IN SPACE. Like toilets are called 'freshers and instead of "poo poo!" when something goes wrong you say "sithspawn!"

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Paper

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

AnonSpore posted:

Hand me the hydrospanner

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
In the EU didn't Luke join the darkside just to see what was up? Then just up and returned to the light side through his SSJ Goku levels of willpower?

Just a reminder how dumb awesome really dumb the EU is

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.

darkhand posted:

In the EU didn't Luke join the darkside just to see what was up? Then just up and returned to the light side through his SSJ Goku levels of willpower?

Just a reminder how dumb awesome really dumb the EU is

Luke wasn't convinced that there even was a light and dark side, since the Old Republic Jedi were kinda wrong about a lot of things, and was of the opinion that there was only The Force and how you used it was up to the individual (A philosophy called Potentium). So he thought he could learn a few darkside tricks from Palpatine before killing him again. But he then realized he was wrong, the dark side was a "thing" and could corrupt a Jedi who tried to skirt the line between light and dark, so he abandoned that plan and fought Palpatine.

Yes, I am one of those people.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Hasn't Luke fallen and come back like three or four times now

Also iirc he's even more Jedi Jesus than his dad was

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

AnonSpore posted:

They're just bad with made-up terms in general.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Jizz

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

AnonSpore posted:

I think the worst offenders for this sort of poo poo are those loving dinosaurs from the Land Before Time. My son watched nothing else between the ages of three and four and the dialogue drove me mental. Stuff like "Before the big ball of fire crosses the sky three times" - they invented words for "ball", "fire" and "sky" but they couldn't be arsed to name the loving sun? I demand more realism in my cartoon dinosaur language. :argh:

John Big Booty posted:

They're just bad with made-up terms in general.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Jizz
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Evar_Orbus_and_His_Galactic_Jizz-Wailers :wiggle:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

On that note: mildly :nws:http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Breast:nws:

Extra fun together with that wiki's obsession with writing everything in the past tense. Apparently both paper and breasts ceased to exists at some point in time.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

PicklePants posted:

For the car keys in the blinds thing.

When I spent time in South Dakota, that's what they used to do in their cars or tractors. They'd never lose their keys that way. It was easier than keeping it in your pocket when you were doing farm work where they might fall out, and you'd never be able to find them. The closest neighbor was miles away, and the closest small town was a couple of hours, with a pop of around 200 people.

In other, very small towns in rural locations, people know your car. They know who drives it. They'll know if someone's in there that's not supposed to be in there. If you're that weirdo that only goes to the shop on occasion, people take note of it.

I'm originally from small town America and this is actually super common. In the visor or under the mat. If you're in a rural area, it's normal to leave the keys in the ignition all the time, even in town.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
People do the same in Corsican villages, I never questioned it when I was a kid, but now it seems crazy to me. To be fair everyone has a rifle as well :v:

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Perestroika posted:

On that note: mildly :nws:http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Breast:nws:

Extra fun together with that wiki's obsession with writing everything in the past tense. Apparently both paper and breasts ceased to exists at some point in time.

Well it was a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Piell posted:

Well it was a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away.

Pretty sure breasts and paper still exist in our galaxy, close, close nearby.

Or maybe the term breast in the EU just shorthand for hyperbreast or something. So, technically, hyperbreasts no longer exist indeed.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

No jiggling in the Empire.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

BiggerBoat posted:

All I know about Star Wars is from watching the movies a couple times and playing some of the video games. Then along come the hyper nerds to make me feel ashamed about even doing that.

I'm laughing too hard at the breasts one though.

quote:

T'ra Saa, a tree with pronounced breasts.

New Wave Jose
Aug 20, 2008

Hahahha first appearance in Starwars IV: a new hope

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

AnonSpore posted:

On the flip side, Star Wars EU is also really bad about having made up terms for things that exist in the real world simply because it's IN SPACE.

Younglings.