Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

thehustler posted:

I have a hard time figuring out why people hate Toksvig, she's lovely!

She seems nice and everything but I've never found her funny at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Paperhouse posted:

She seems nice and everything but I've never found her funny at all.

The show is called QI, not QF.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
She's fine as a guest but she doesn't have the same verve and energy that Stephen Fry brings. Fry is adorable.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

njsykora posted:

most people I speak to think the News Quiz has been steadily getting worse since she took over.

Happy days for them since she left years ago. It's some, uh, posh guy now.

Paladinus posted:

The show is called QI, not QF.

That's why it's stuffed with Britain's foremost thinkers.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Mr. Squishy posted:

Happy days for them since she left years ago. It's some, uh, posh guy now.

aka Archie the Inventor from Balamory

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

thehustler posted:

I have a hard time figuring out why people hate Toksvig, she's lovely!

For many people, you'll find both reasons about a foot under her chin

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Why has Karl Pilkington not been on QI though?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Tsaedje posted:

aka Archie the Inventor from Balamory

Toksvig only left at the end of the last series, I guess about 4 months ago, and Miles Jupp is killing it (as in is very good). I wonder now if Toksvig knew Fry was leaving and made the time for the gig.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Because Alan Davies is already there to play the fool

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Tsaedje posted:

Because Alan Davies is already there to play the fool

I want multiple fools though

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

I want Rich Hall on QI every week.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Just a friendly reminder that the QI Podcast No Such Thing As A Fish with the QI Elves is both vastly more interesting and funny than the QI show ever was: http://qi.com/podcast/

Also the advantage of unemployment is that I was able to listen to all 80 episodes in about a week and a half.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer
Ok so the Apprentice starts tonight! is there going to be a dedicated thread this year? Despite losing enthusiasm for the format I still like to have a good old chortle at the idiots candidates, and there looks to be some corkers this year.

quote:

“Me and Lord Sugar will work together because you’ve got age and beauty and those two go hand in hand all the time. Sugar’s got the age and I certainly am beautiful.”

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I'll miss Fry on QI, never been a big fan of Toksvig but eh, could still be good. Seconding the recommendation for No Such Thing As A Fish, it's terrific.

ElectricWizard posted:

Time to reinvent QI.

They wouldn't get past the first fact.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Just a friendly reminder that the QI Podcast No Such Thing As A Fish with the QI Elves is both vastly more interesting and funny than the QI show ever was: http://qi.com/podcast/

Also the advantage of unemployment is that I was able to listen to all 80 episodes in about a week and a half.

Go and see them do a live recording if you get the chance, I saw one during the Fringe and it was a hoot.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

thehustler posted:

Go and see them do a live recording if you get the chance, I saw one during the Fringe and it was a hoot.

First Fringe in the last 4 that I didn't go to. Absolutely gutted. And London tickets are almost impossible to get.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Moaning of Life 2 was pretty great. Karl was even pretty positive about some things.

Doubtful Guest
Jun 23, 2008

Meanwhile, Conradin made himself another piece of toazzzzzzt.

thehustler posted:

Yeah, saw them in Manchester (Salford) and they were great. Lots of chat about semen.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Because he's awful?

Toksvig is basically Stephen Fry in lady form. Very interested to see how she does.

And I too prefer Fish to the actual show these days.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic
Those QI news were really unexpected. I like Sandi Toksvig and she fits the role, but I'm not sure if QI will ever be the same again :(.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Gorn Myson posted:

I want Rich Hall on QI every week.

Going to see Rich Hall 'Hoedown' this weekend, can't wait.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

QI is one of those shows that I never felt went bad, but because it was essentially the same thing each week I just got bored of it about 10 years ago. Maybe I should watch what will be Fry's last season just to give it a send off. How far through the alphabet are they now? Must be about O or so?

e: ah M, not bad for a wild guess.

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Oct 15, 2015

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
QI is still what it always was, the clue is in the title.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

In non-QI news, the ever-delightful Lucy Worley is on BBC4 right now, in a programme about the history of Romance and Romantic novels, and has managed to raid the BBC dressing up box to admirable effect.

We're 14 minutes in and she's already worn a dozen different wigs, dresses, crinolines, bonnets and shawls, as she dresses up as 400 years worth of female heroines. She has the jolliest job in the world, she really does.

Ireland Sucks
May 16, 2004

If anyone is into Come Dine With Me and hasn't been following this week (County Durham) should, there are some truly awful people on and it's fantastic.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

Ireland Sucks posted:

If anyone is into Come Dine With Me and hasn't been following this week (County Durham) should, there are some truly awful people on and it's fantastic.

I was watching the Costa Del Sol one earlier on repeats. Holy poo poo they were horrible people. Especially the psychotic guy who put the fake finger in his starter. Why are so many expats just complete dicks?

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Lucy Worsley's slow transformation into high-brow TV sex kitten is really weird. It definitely seems like she's encouraging it as well.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

netally posted:

I was watching the Costa Del Sol one earlier on repeats. Holy poo poo they were horrible people. Especially the psychotic guy who put the fake finger in his starter. Why are so many expats just complete dicks?

My parents went to Spain over a decade or so. You have no idea. They bitch about (Moroccan/German/Irish/etc) immigrants, pitch a fit about nit getting walls sausages or PG tips with their full English breakfast, read their Daily Mail or Express salvaged from the Airport, and click their fingers r shout for service. I am happy to report that my parents, redolent in faults as I am, don't put up with that sit and side with the correct people who were born there.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Comrade Fakename posted:

Lucy Worsley's slow transformation into high-brow TV sex kitten is really weird. It definitely seems like she's encouraging it as well.

Well, compare how many shows she gets to the uh... the history of rome person, who was trolled on twitter for being ugly.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Mr. Squishy posted:

Well, compare how many shows she gets to the uh... the history of rome person, who was trolled on twitter for being ugly.

Mary Beard, who is awesome.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

There's Bettany Hughes as well. She's done some Roman stuff on the BBC and is alright.

Apart from the time she slagged off the GeoPhys team on Time Time because they didn't manage to find something that wasn't there.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

feedmegin posted:

Mary Beard, who is awesome.

Mary Beard is great, I love her. That programme she did on the lives of ordinary Roman citizens was wonderful.

I also like Janina Ramirez, the professor who does a lot of the medieval and art history programmes on BBC4 (she wears lashings of black eyeliner, is terribly enthusiastic and I think one of the posters here went to school with her?)

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

The weird thing about Lucy Worsely is not so much that she's being put forward as attractive, which she is in a "weird crush" sort of way, but that she doesn't seem to be being pushed or pressured into it at all, but instead seems to be very enthusiastically seizing that mantle herself, as if she's constantly ringing up BBC commissioners and pitching BBC 4's A Cheeky History of British Dildos. It's a bit odd for a respected academic.

In other news I just watched the first episode of the new TFI Friday revival and it was bloody awful, just a ramshackle mess and not in a fun way.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Comrade Fakename posted:

The weird thing about Lucy Worsely is not so much that she's being put forward as attractive, which she is in a "weird crush" sort of way, but that she doesn't seem to be being pushed or pressured into it at all, but instead seems to be very enthusiastically seizing that mantle herself, as if she's constantly ringing up BBC commissioners and pitching BBC 4's A Cheeky History of British Dildos. It's a bit odd for a respected academic.

In other news I just watched the first episode of the new TFI Friday revival and it was bloody awful, just a ramshackle mess and not in a fun way.

The show got commisioned for a full series before he got the Top Gear gig I think, so I would imagine his mind is more on that. He's already said that there won't be any more TFI past this run whilst he is doing Top Gear as he doesn't have the time.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Irisi posted:

I also like Janina Ramirez, the professor who does a lot of the medieval and art history programmes on BBC4 (she wears lashings of black eyeliner, is terribly enthusiastic and I think one of the posters here went to school with her?)

that would be me and however enthusiastic she is on TV is nothing on how she is in real life

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

netally posted:

That guy was one of the worst people I've ever seen. Just completely unlikeable and pathetic. One of those 'I just tell it like it is' dicks. The Cardiff one was pretty funny though, mainly for the one woman I've seen around town a few times who loses it and starts having a major strop because they're talking about food and she feels excluded. They were nothing but reasonable to her and she threw a little fit. She also runs a B&B that was shown a few times so I wonder if it hurt her business.

Anyway River was disappointing. There's just much better ways to handle the material than the way they do. It also majorly cheats in the first few minutes for no reason. After the end of the opening chase it reveals that his partner has been dead the whole time. Ok, well done, that establishes the premise of the show. But then a moment earlier we see her, on her own, calling for backup.

I thought it was going to be a Detective version of Bringing Out The Dead but sadly it's just every cliche cop show ever, except this time he's literally haunted.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

There was one come dine with me episode on a few years back where they had this absolutely vile gay bloke, he cooked first and then basically trolled for the rest of the week, and because he marked everyone low he ended up winning it. It was fantastic... I should find it again.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Nettle Soup posted:

There was one come dine with me episode on a few years back where they had this absolutely vile gay bloke, he cooked first and then basically trolled for the rest of the week, and because he marked everyone low he ended up winning it. It was fantastic... I should find it again.

My friend's hairdresser was on Dinner Date and won. She went on a few more dates with the guy but it turned out he was a bit strange and loved just doing everything on his own.

I always wonder how many people actually apply to these shows. I know they have auditions and etc beforehand but surely it's not that many? I can't even imagine enough people watch it to keep a decent stock of new contestants especially if you're auditioning them and cutting out the boring ones.

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

You've gone through at the back

Taear posted:

I always wonder how many people actually apply to these shows. I know they have auditions and etc beforehand but surely it's not that many? I can't even imagine enough people watch it to keep a decent stock of new contestants especially if you're auditioning them and cutting out the boring ones.

There was a dating show being filmed at a bar I was in a couple of weeks ago, it was awkward as gently caress and I'm amazed anyone wants to put themselves through that. What exactly do you get out of it? (I suppose they pay for the meal??)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Some people just really want to be on the telly.