Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Tulpa posted:

While the kickstarter for Circle of Hands did basically present the game as such, Ron Edwards did back off of being this dumb and the end result was a game that was actually interesting in some ways and explicitly excluded 'pillage and rape' as a setting feature.
Oh! Well, that's a plus, at least. And to be entirely fair, Edwards did handle the whole thing like a decent person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

I stopped reading Cape trash from murricans since three years ago and it was the best decision I've ever had. Go read Franco-Belgian, Japanese or Southamerican comics yall

YakOnFir
Aug 16, 2015

Helical Nightmares posted:

Re: Pendragon

Requires Archives.

I think this may be the only Actual Play of Pendragon on the net. :shrug:

http://esoteric-rp.blogspot.ie/

Here one that's gotten pretty far along

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?
Have you folks heard about Cthonian Highways?
A company some friends for work just put out this:

http://ironspine.com/wp/en/rpgs/chthonian-highways/

Free to download rpg based on Mad Max and Cthulhu and these guys have been making games for years now. Haven't had the time to test it myself but it looks promising.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

*kisses fingertips* Oui, c'est magnifique!

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

ProfessorCirno posted:

As I understand the other big issue with going THE DARK AGES is that it was the "Dark Ages" in this one shitpile of a hole that Europe was, while plenty of the rest of the world was having one golden age or another.
That's true and came up first, but led to people just calling it the European Dark Ages, which modern historians also consider a mostly bunk idea. Life in Europe didn't get noticeably worse in the transition from late West Roman Empire to the early Middle Ages and in quite a few places got better, because you no longer had constant civil wars. Similarly the idea that a huge amount of technology was lost due to some sort of regression as a result of Rome's final collapse is also misleading. Technological advance continued just fine in plenty of areas, of specific note boat building and steel working. There was a regression in the ability to fund large construction projects such as aqueducts and baths, but that started as early as the 200s when Rome's power diminished and the rounds of civil war began. So it's probably better to think of the European Dark Ages as the European Recovery Period.

Tulpa
Aug 8, 2014
Late Antiquity (ps this is the preferred nomenclature) is actually one of my fav historical periods, Boethius alone makes the entire region/era worth studying.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

My favorite part of late antiquity is the Undersea Palace.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

FactsAreUseless posted:

My favorite part of late antiquity is the Undersea Palace.

Really? Mine was the City of Dreams.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Mi casa es Enhasa.

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

Now I want to play with the AD&D Historicals books.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Traveller posted:

Now I want to play with the AD&D Historicals books.

The Rome one is not bad actually. The character class kits are bad but that's to be expected.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Maul: The Dark Age on the arcade and 64 was badass

ScaryJen
Jan 27, 2008

Keepin' it classy.
College Slice

Maul: The Dark Age on the arcade and 64 was badass

It certainly had the best Monster as PC rules.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Personal opinion and this could be an anomaly in his work, but this guy might want to take a page from the school of comic writing that says your pictures should do 60% of the talking with the words doing the last 40%.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.

Covok posted:

Personal opinion and this could be an anomaly in his work, but this guy might want to take a page from the school of comic writing that says your pictures should do 60% of the talking with the words doing the last 40%.

Agreed. If you're going to fill that much of the page with text, why even bother with illustration?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I'd probably have more luck asking in the board game thread, but are there any Descent-like dungeon crawlers that a) have solo play and b) don't have a ton of bookkeeping or stuff to keep track of?

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Evil Mastermind posted:

I'd probably have more luck asking in the board game thread, but are there any Descent-like dungeon crawlers that a) have solo play and b) don't have a ton of bookkeeping or stuff to keep track of?
Now see here son and let me tell you about Kingdom Death.

The game is bad and you shouldn't play it

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Terrible Opinions posted:

Now see here son and let me tell you about Kingdom Death.

The game is bad and you shouldn't play it

It's good actually;

Anniversary
Sep 12, 2011

I AM A SHIT-FESTIVAL
:goatsecx:

It's good actually;

You sure changed my mind!

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Anniversary posted:

It seems to be a decent game, it just slaps cheesecake on everything.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
there's some really misogynistic elements to it beyond the cheesecake

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Anniversary posted:

That's fine, because it's a good game.

Anniversary
Sep 12, 2011

I AM A SHIT-FESTIVAL
:goatsecx:

That's fine, because it's a good game.

But is it fun?

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
How boutique is it? Like, on a scale from one to Paris?

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Tollymain posted:

there's some really misogynistic elements to it beyond the cheesecake

Admittedly, I only looked through a copy of the base rules out of curiosity. :v:

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Setting aside anything to do with Kingdom Death's aesthetics or themes, pretty much every review I've read by people who've played it or seen it played say that it's got some neat ideas in the monster battles where each monster is represented by an "A.I. deck" that you remove cards from by damaging but that the rest of the game is full of "wacky" random save-or-die stuff shoved everywhere, and if I'm after "roll on the big table to see what happens, whoops you died" then I already have games that do that and don't need to buy someone's bespoke Kickstarter thing, tentacle titmonsters or no.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Yeah, a lot of what I watched outside of the minifights was "flip a card, roll a die, find out what happens" Talisman sort of design, only without the excuse of being designed thirty years ago.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Covok posted:

Jacobs was a collaborator of Tintin creator Hergé, and his Blake & Mortimer series, while always very wordy to the end, get a lot better pretty quickly.

He said he chose the Tibetans to be the bad guys in the first story arc because that was a ridiculous idea that no one would believe, but there's a ton of racist Yellow Peril stuff in them.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...
something something Facebook discussion of this article...

What the gently caress does "advancing classic tabletop [gaming]" mean?

Context: described as "what 4e didn't do that made it a bust (conceding that it succeeded at making money and bringing new players into the hobby.)" :psyduck:

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

P.d0t posted:

What the gently caress does "advancing classic tabletop [gaming]" mean?

Lovingly fellate AD&D

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The trend of "don't engage in the game's mechanics, this is roleplaying, get outta here!" that I keep seeing is leading me dangerously close to using the phrase "magical tea party"

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

The trend of "don't engage in the game's mechanics, this is roleplaying, get outta here!" that I keep seeing is leading me dangerously close to using the phrase "magical tea party"

That's what it is.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

ProfessorCirno posted:

Lovingly fellate AD&D

But I don't wanna!

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

gradenko_2000 posted:

It's kinda fun how the Gaming Den started by recognizing one problem, and then immediately sprinting in the wrong direction to find a solution.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

ProfessorCirno posted:

It's kinda fun how the Gaming Den started by recognizing one problem, and then immediately sprinting in the wrong direction to find a solution.

Ceterum censeo Frank Trollman esse delendam.

GEExCEE
Sep 19, 2012

My real life tabletop group fell apart a while ago and I'm looking to start a pbp game. I've played and enjoyed burning wheel and dungeon world in the past, but they've been tough games to run on a forum. Does anyone have suggestions for a system that works well in this format?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

GEExCEE posted:

My real life tabletop group fell apart a while ago and I'm looking to start a pbp game. I've played and enjoyed burning wheel and dungeon world in the past, but they've been tough games to run on a forum. Does anyone have suggestions for a system that works well in this format?

Play on Skype/Roll20/IRC

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

GEExCEE posted:

Nothing works well purely PBP, because otherwise reliable people become enormous flakes the second they are asked to write a few sentences once a day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Dungeon World seems like a good candidate for something where you just hop on IRC and ask people if they want a game right now if you've got an hour or two to spare.

• Locked thread