Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
XIII
Feb 11, 2009

E.T. NO HOMO posted:

They also fixed my fringe use case bug and took away that stupid "Signed in as" toast! Hooray Hangouts!

They also axed the widget for whatever reason. Hangouts will never release a decent sized update that doesn't contain some sort of regression, but I've learned to expect it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

XIII posted:

The Hangouts 5.0 update seems to be a LOT faster. Thank gently caress

Yeah it seems way faster to me too but it's a fresh install so give it a few days.

I'm just happy that gifs are fixed. loving finally.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
I can't even open hangouts because half the time it detects my school email which happens to be a Google Apps account that's heavily locked down. So it tries to sign into that one and my regular Gmail, says it can't, and crashes.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I can't even open hangouts because half the time it detects my school email which happens to be a Google Apps account that's heavily locked down. So it tries to sign into that one and my regular Gmail, says it can't, and crashes.

Can't you just sign out of that account in Hangouts? I was still getting the pop-up, so I signed out of the one I don't use for messaging and all was well

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Soviet Canuckistan posted:

Is there an app out there that lets Tasker/Llama automate Marshmallow's "do not disturb" mode? I'd like something slightly more fine-grained than the built-in time-based profiles.

I've not got an M phone at the moment, but llama was working fine at turning on do not disturb when I did. Just selecting the silent profile did it

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
I really wish there was a way to tell google maps to auto avoid toll roads instead of having to manually do it every time.

I have to use Waze instead and wish I didn't.

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

XIII posted:

They also axed the widget for whatever reason. Hangouts will never release a decent sized update that doesn't contain some sort of regression, but I've learned to expect it.

Splash screen is totally unnecessary for a texting app, Long press on a thread and you still get holo blue highlight, etc, etc, there's still plenty wrong with it but now I don't have to use it AND another SMS app so I'm good

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

XIII posted:

Can't you just sign out of that account in Hangouts? I was still getting the pop-up, so I signed out of the one I don't use for messaging and all was well

How would I go about doing that?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Menu - Settings - <Your account> - Sign Out

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

I have been getting a bunch of emails that are sent to <mynumber>@txt.att.net. This is fine, except each message comes from a new sequential number each time. Is it possible to combine these into one contact, or at least one hangouts message? Would it be through hangouts, contacts or possibly my carrier? This is driving me crazy.

Soviet Canuckistan
Oct 24, 2010

Tunga posted:

Tasker supports this, under Audio.

Thanks, I'll try that.

Skarsnik posted:

I've not got an M phone at the moment, but llama was working fine at turning on do not disturb when I did. Just selecting the silent profile did it

Nope, that just puts it in vibrate mode.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

E.T. NO HOMO posted:

Splash screen is totally unnecessary for a texting app, Long press on a thread and you still get holo blue highlight, etc, etc, there's still plenty wrong with it but now I don't have to use it AND another SMS app so I'm good

Same. There are things that annoy me with Hangouts (that I doubt ever get addressed) and there were things I quite liked about Messenger, but,since my messaging is about a 50/50 split between Hangouts and SMS, I'm totally fine with using Hangouts because then I only have to use one app.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Soviet Canuckistan posted:

Nope, that just puts it in vibrate mode.

Well in not sure what to say, as it works for me. I'm using it in lollipop at the moment

Try changing the settings in the silent profile to zero volume, no vibrate

E: Oh wait, you're not using the one off the website are you? Just use the play store version

Skarsnik fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Oct 13, 2015

Soviet Canuckistan
Oct 24, 2010

Skarsnik posted:

Well in not sure what to say, as it works for me. I'm using it in lollipop at the moment

Try changing the settings in the silent profile to zero volume, no vibrate

E: Oh wait, you're not using the one off the website are you? Just use the play store version

I think DND mode changed between Lollipop and Marshmallow, which might explain why it works for you but not for me me. I'm using the one off the website because I wanted the Lollipop fixes that aren't on the play store one.

In any case, I successfully migrated all my Llama stuff to Tasker and everything works.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

The lollipop 'fixes' on the website version specifically removes the priority mode use.

That'd be why it's not working for you :)

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam
I've been getting a stubborn "stream was reset: PROTOCOL_ERROR" in Pocket Casts for the FP podcast. No other podcast I've seen shows this, and I can play the FP podcasts from their website fine.

I can't seem to figure out if it's a FP problem, a Pocket Casts problem, or my phone's problem. Googling this error shows it related to what appears to be some Java library. I don't know enough to dig deeper. Anybody have a guess?

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
I wanted a beep on my headphones every minute or so without me having to interact with my phone. What would be the best app for that? I'm guessing the normal android clock app can't do it, or at least I can't find the feature.

program666 fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Oct 13, 2015

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

hey santa baby posted:

I've been getting a stubborn "stream was reset: PROTOCOL_ERROR" in Pocket Casts for the FP podcast. No other podcast I've seen shows this, and I can play the FP podcasts from their website fine.

I can't seem to figure out if it's a FP problem, a Pocket Casts problem, or my phone's problem. Googling this error shows it related to what appears to be some Java library. I don't know enough to dig deeper. Anybody have a guess?

Maybe they changed the URL to their podcast or something like that and pocketcasts hasn't updated it yet? Did you try unsubscribing from the podcast in the app, closing it out completely, and re-subbing?

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Maybe they changed the URL to their podcast or something like that and pocketcasts hasn't updated it yet? Did you try unsubscribing from the podcast in the app, closing it out completely, and re-subbing?

This sounds like a good idea, but it didn't work. I ended up rebooting, and installing a system update in the process too. Still the same behavior.

Blowdryer
Jan 25, 2008
I've been working a lot recently on my music blog and one thing that I've been trying to do is find the right platform to make playlists for it on.

Whyd and Minilogs are both websites where you can make playlists combining youtube and soundcloud tracks into seamless play.

Whyd doesn't have an android app. Minilogs' app doesn't work.

Does anyone know of any alternatives?

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

program666 posted:

I wanted a beep on my headphones every minute or so without me having to interact with my phone. What would be the best app for that? I'm guessing the normal android clock app can't do it, or at least I can't find the feature.

Not sure on the app, but search the play store for boxing timer, bin timer, round timer or similar.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Touchless/voice control on my Moto X is working worse than ever for playing music. Partially due to Google Play Music's "radio" thing, which is really getting on my nerves, but for some other inexplicable reasons too.

I swear I used to be able to say "Okay Google Now, I want to listen to Heroes" and with a little luck, the album Heroes would begin to play.

Now the results differ every time, and none of them result in music from my library being played. Inexplicably, even the exact same query (even while verifying by text that it transcribed the same) will one time produce a google search, the next time try to play some unrelated google radio station.

"Okay Google Now, I want to listen to Heroes"
search results for i want to listen to heroes

"Okay Google Now, I want to listen to Heroes"
Okay! Playing Heroes radio - no stop!! I just want the album I own, not the goddamn google radio thing, which is apparently based off of some band called "Heroes" I've never heard of

"Okay Google Now, play the album Heroes by David Bowie"
search results for the album Heroes by David Bowie

Okay Google Now, I want to listen Heroes by David Bowie"
google search results for Heroes by David Bowie, including a big thing at the top saying i can buy the album on Google play music - come on, you know I already own it!!

Out of principle I tried for like 10 minutes one time, just to see if it was at all possible to get it to play something, ANYTHING in my library. I tried asking for albums, songs, or artists, I tried different ways of asking, and I tried every query several times the same way to see how they would change. At best, when it finally did interpret my request as something to send to google play music, it would choose some google radio station 100% of the time, NEVER music from my own library.

This is kind of a rant but I'm also honestly asking for help. I looked online and I don't see any way to disable google's radio feature, short of setting your player to "downloaded only." That's unfortunate. But what is up with touchless control being so bad at this now? It was never great but it's definitely worse.

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001

alnilam posted:

But what is up with touchless control being so bad at this now? It was never great but it's definitely worse.

Totally agree and wish I had a solution for you. I do not understand the appeal of the "radio" thing and why they are pushing it so hard. But even before the radio thing, it would almost never actually play the music I requested, preferring to do a search instead. I wish google would just release an explicit up-to-date list of voice commands. The natrual language approach is not working.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Edit: God damnit.

Jehde fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Oct 14, 2015

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Jehde posted:

I accidentally posted in the Awful Android App thread instead of here, but the android games thread has been archived, so this is the only place to ask: Are their any good ports of Lemmings for android? Been having the itch lately and a smartphone seems like the best way to play it. Spirits is alright, but doesn't quite scratch the itch.

The thread is in Games now.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3711191

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

My touchless control has gotten bad too. The other day I successfully got it to write a text but when I asked me to confirm it failed to recognize "yes" 3 times before giving up.

Sometimes it will flat out not work and saying "OK Google now" will produce no response.

concise
Aug 31, 2004

Ain't much to do
'round here.

Using voice control to send a hangouts message is horrible in my experience. When I say, "yes" to send the message it fails and tells me to say "send it." When I say "send it," it cancels.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

concise posted:

Using voice control to send a hangouts message is horrible in my experience. When I say, "yes" to send the message it fails and tells me to say "send it." When I say "send it," it cancels.

Any kind of noise gently caress it up. This is especially true for one-word answers.
Your only response to correct is to cancel and try again.
Smart lock REALLY fucks it up. (I can't do that unless you unlock. Grab the phone, it is obviously unlocked. Setting is SET to allow lock screen actions!)

No way to have it read incoming texts and reply by voice.

I don't know why the dictation quality has gotten so much better while the interface itself hasn't improved.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Speaking of Hangouts 5.0, does anyone know a way to get it to read in my contact photos if they aren't also Google+ contacts? It's super frustrating.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Montalvo posted:

Speaking of Hangouts 5.0, does anyone know a way to get it to read in my contact photos if they aren't also Google+ contacts? It's super frustrating.
Doesn't adding it to the contact manually work? I have a G+ contact who has no photo but I added one for him and it shows up.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Tunga posted:

Doesn't adding it to the contact manually work? I have a G+ contact who has no photo but I added one for him and it shows up.

Yeah, I've done this. Took a while to update after I added it.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I've been looking at antivirus/antitheft apps for my phone. I started messing with Avast! since it's got high reviews almost everywhere, but now I see I can't use the antitheft portion of it without having a second number to text to/from. Are there better apps out there that have remote lock that I can access from a PC? Or could I set up a google voice number just for this? Or are antivirus apps even worth my time?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Deeters posted:

I've been looking at antivirus/antitheft apps for my phone. I started messing with Avast! since it's got high reviews almost everywhere, but now I see I can't use the antitheft portion of it without having a second number to text to/from. Are there better apps out there that have remote lock that I can access from a PC? Or could I set up a google voice number just for this? Or are antivirus apps even worth my time?

Antivirus is absolutely pointless if you don't root and aren't in China or something (and even that's becoming less terrible now that Google is actually operating in China, but it'll be a while recovering from years of Android phones with not-Google app stores), and is still mostly pointless if you DO root and you take longer than about five seconds to evaluate whatever app you're using. The entire point of everything on the phone being sandboxed front to back is that it doesn't have to blow immense amount of power on security sweeps all the time. Keep in mind that Google also has the power to blacklist even sideloaded apps if they figure out that the app is flat-out user-hostile.

As for remote find/lock/erase Android Device Manager has been a thing for a while.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Oct 15, 2015

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
Can anyone with Marshmallow (Nexus 5) and Whatsapp help me confirm a bug please?

I'm trying to email chat history from a contact via the settings menu, but the email that gets sent has no attachment.

Makes no difference if I include media or not.
Makes no difference if I pick a contact with years of history, or one with only 3 messages exhanged.

You can email yourself to test of course.

Actually - can someone with Lollipop please try that too, in case it's always been broken.

Hope I don't have to downgrade just to get this chat off my phone.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

wooger posted:

Can anyone with Marshmallow (Nexus 5) and Whatsapp help me confirm a bug please?

I'm trying to email chat history from a contact via the settings menu, but the email that gets sent has no attachment.

Makes no difference if I include media or not.
Makes no difference if I pick a contact with years of history, or one with only 3 messages exhanged.

You can email yourself to test of course.

Actually - can someone with Lollipop please try that too, in case it's always been broken.

Hope I don't have to downgrade just to get this chat off my phone.

Nexus 5 on Marshmallow and yeah it's broken.

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

I've got K9 mail installed (for reading and writing encrypted mail, I normally use Inbox for like 99,99% of my mails) and that got invoked with a text attachment containing the chat log. Lollipop.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Grim Up North posted:

I've got K9 mail installed (for reading and writing encrypted mail, I normally use Inbox for like 99,99% of my mails) and that got invoked with a text attachment containing the chat log. Lollipop.

Aha, so perhaps a problem with gmail...

I will try it out.

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

wooger posted:

Aha, so perhaps a problem with gmail...

Yeah, I disabled the GMail app as I don't use it anymore.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Grim Up North posted:

Yeah, I disabled the GMail app as I don't use it anymore.

The whatsapp email export works fine with K9Mail on my N5 with Marshmallow too, this is a gmail / Marshmallow compatibility bug somewhere.

Thanks for your help everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Antivirus is absolutely pointless if you don't root and aren't in China or something (and even that's becoming less terrible now that Google is actually operating in China, but it'll be a while recovering from years of Android phones with not-Google app stores), and is still mostly pointless if you DO root and you take longer than about five seconds to evaluate whatever app you're using. The entire point of everything on the phone being sandboxed front to back is that it doesn't have to blow immense amount of power on security sweeps all the time. Keep in mind that Google also has the power to blacklist even sideloaded apps if they figure out that the app is flat-out user-hostile.

As for remote find/lock/erase Android Device Manager has been a thing for a while.

Thanks. I had a feeling this was the case, but don't know enough about Android to really support it. I think this will be enough to stop a petty crook if I manage to lose my phone.

• Locked thread