Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

grassy gnoll posted:

Is there a specific thing wrong with VGC, or are they just not preferred? 'cause I just bought a shitload of them last week.

no they're cool and good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Awesome.

I like bright colors. :downs:

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Are the Vallejo washes alright?

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

grassy gnoll posted:

Is there a specific thing wrong with VGC, or are they just not preferred? 'cause I just bought a shitload of them last week.

The specific complaints I've seen about VGC: color separation is worse than other ranges (including VMC, which can also separate more easily than some ranges) and that some of the colors don't cover very well. On the plus side, VGC is a lot more resistant to wear than VMC, which is especially important if you don't varnish your guys.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

El Estrago Bonito posted:

One of those nude slave girls is also apparently based on the former Prime Minister of the Ukraine. Also the masturbating nun.

Jesus. :stare:

I've always had a vague feeling that you could make semi- or completely-nude minis and not have it be 100% embarrassing but this sure isn't an example of that.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Spiderdrake posted:

So I've been painting my Heavy Dragonspawn kits, which I magnetized since one is from the Legion starter and the other AIO so this gives me some nice variety, and I've run into a snag - the magnets keep ripping themselves free. Any suggestions on the best adhesive to keep these little guys in? Epoxy? I had prepared the surfaces but any attempt at regluing isn't working overly well.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000DD1QH

I had the same problem, then I switched glues. I was using a really inconsistent brand from the hardware store before.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"
Hmm. So now I'm trying to find good vehicles in-scale (for my ~25-28mm reaper figures). It looks like I want between 1:60 and 1:48. Specifically I want one or more of a taxi, a Humvee, a dune buggy and a tank.

Supposedly matchbox is 1:60 scale. I don't have one in front of me, but that feels like it'd be way too tiny, from my memory.

I also found this, and though the price isn't too bad I suppose, it feels weird using a collector thing like this for war gaming.

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

bored before I even began
Anyone have a good *reliable* option for dropper bottles? I want to transfer all my old GW and Reaper paints but I read a few bad reviews of several options on Amazon.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

KPC_Mammon posted:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000DD1QH

I had the same problem, then I switched glues. I was using a really inconsistent brand from the hardware store before.
Yeah, I tried two different glues, but I'll see if that brand is sold in Canada before running the epoxy idea.

I was using Le Page stuff but it has been pretty inconsistent.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

shoplifter posted:

Anyone have a good *reliable* option for dropper bottles? I want to transfer all my old GW and Reaper paints but I read a few bad reviews of several options on Amazon.

I bought these and have had no issue yet: http://www.thewarstore.com/product61278.html

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

shoplifter posted:

If you're in the US try SKS Bottle & Packaging.
https://www.sks-bottle.com/340c/fin21a.html
The half once ones are basically the same as Vallejo/Reaper bottles in my experience.

Edit: and I'm pretty sure the Warstore ones are just these being sold at double price.

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused

Avenging Dentist posted:

I went to his site, clicked on the "Girls" category, and for a moment thought, "that's not too bad, he just did 4 cheesecake models". But then I realized those were 4 categories. It always makes me wonder why no one really does naked dude minis.

I think Hasslefree has some dong if you look hard enough.

The sculptor has a Facebook page, and it's kind of hilarious to see some of his followers squirm when those greens get posted. :unsmigghh:

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

shoplifter posted:

The BEST I've found is Nalgene LDPE dropper bottles off amazon, but the price will hit you hard. Fortunately tho they're built like tanks and when you run out of paint you can clean them in simple green just like anything else. I've gotten some of the kind that are like 25 cents apiece and the caps broke in transit while I was flying around. That's right the pressure differential or something actually broke the top off the loving caps. Never had any problems with my Nalgenes.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

If you're in the US try SKS Bottle & Packaging.
https://www.sks-bottle.com/340c/fin21a.html
The half once ones are basically the same as Vallejo/Reaper bottles in my experience.

Edit: and I'm pretty sure the Warstore ones are just these being sold at double price.

Hahaha, 'Natural' Plastic Bottles

bet they are organic too

grumbster
Apr 19, 2004
Lord of the Fjord

BULBASAUR posted:

bet they are organic too

But are they local?

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

BULBASAUR posted:

bet they are organic too

Whenever I go into a hippy store I always look for the organic salt.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

Avenging Dentist posted:

The specific complaints I've seen about VGC: color separation is worse than other ranges (including VMC, which can also separate more easily than some ranges) and that some of the colors don't cover very well. On the plus side, VGC is a lot more resistant to wear than VMC, which is especially important if you don't varnish your guys.

It's not a bad idea to toss a bit of pewter sprue into a bottle of paint to act as a shaker. Same idea as the skulls Reaper used to put in their paints (or the glass beads they use now).

Incidentally, I'm told the lower sprue of this set contains the skulls they used to use in the bottles, if you're feeling nostalgic. Though, if you're looking for a lot of skulls, Secret Weapon has a sack of 50 skulls or so for twelve bucks right now.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

JackMann posted:

It's not a bad idea to toss a bit of pewter sprue into a bottle of paint to act as a shaker. Same idea as the skulls Reaper used to put in their paints (or the glass beads they use now).

I actually got a bunch of 8mm hematite beads as agitators. I think the issue people had with VGC though was that it even separated on the palette for some colors, which would be annoying.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
I just cut off bits of sprue if I can't find my bag of glass beads. I've been transferring lots of paints into bottles lately, I made a hot-glue-and-cardboard thing to hold paint pots upside-down. The small bottles I got are these: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251988362199 which where the only 30ml size ones I could find, and there are a ton of larger bottles available for decanting stuff like Pledge/Klear, thinner and custom mixes into.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I'm looking to add a few vallejo liquid gold colors to my collection, but its crazy expensive on ebay. Any US retailers carry the stuff? This is for the alcohol based paints.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

BULBASAUR posted:

I'm looking to add a few vallejo liquid gold colors to my collection, but its crazy expensive on ebay. Any US retailers carry the stuff? This is for the alcohol based paints.

WarStore.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Silhouette posted:

:ssh: VMC Black-Grey + black wash = instant black with depth :ssh:
Hot drat, son, I was looking for a good gray color for my Warmaster Night Goblins!

Prime Minister of the Ukraine.
She has the most awesome hair of any world leader, ever.

I mean, look at it, for God's sake!

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid
How big are the McFarlane dragons? Are they fit for 28 mm?

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

They'd work well as pretty big dragons in 28mm, though there are a few which have riders so you'd want to avoid them.

I have a few, I'll try remember to take some scale shots this weekend.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Slimnoid posted:

WarStore.

They only have the basic kit and not the white gold/green gold colors :(

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

I see them on the War Store. But if that doesn't work, Noble Knight has em too: Green Gold, White Gold.

Also something-something try the Scale75 metallics too (mainly because I want to hear about them).

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Aww poo poo. Thanks man. Apparently I wasn't looking in the right place!

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

Avenging Dentist posted:

Also something-something try the Scale75 metallics too (mainly because I want to hear about them).

They're really good. What did you want to know about them?

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Gareth Gobulcoque posted:

They're really good. What did you want to know about them?

Any colors in particular that are especially stand-out, or should I just grab some random ones and mess with them?

e: To elaborate a bit, I'm looking to do old steel (for skeletons), greenish(?) gold, and maybe some gunmetal blue. If Scale75 has particularly good colors for any of those, I'll pick some up and see how they work for me.

Avenging Dentist fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Oct 16, 2015

dmnz
Feb 14, 2012

BNNRROWNWNWOWOWOWO
My Goblin BSB with the Spider Banner for all of the poisoned shots.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"
Thinking about vehicles I remembered my sister gave me a pack of plastic army men, and it came with some tanks.

Does the scaling look good with the middle guy? The guy on the right is one of the army men who came with the tank,, who you'd think would be in scale with the tank, but he's pretty huge (48-50mm by my measurements). The tank looks close to 28mm scale, but I'm not sure.

If it is I'm going to try painting these up.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

Avenging Dentist posted:

Any colors in particular that are especially stand-out, or should I just grab some random ones and mess with them?

e: To elaborate a bit, I'm looking to do old steel (for skeletons), greenish(?) gold, and maybe some gunmetal blue. If Scale75 has particularly good colors for any of those, I'll pick some up and see how they work for me.

I've only seen them in sets. I have the metal and alchemy steel set, and it can do pretty much anything silvery. It comes with a blue, purple, green, and white metallic, which are surprisingly useful. They sets are kinda meant to work together, so I'd recommend that over picking them up individually.

The white alchemy and brightest metal don't have the best coverage. Do I prefer them over vma? Ehh. They're pretty similar, probably mostly a personal preference thing.

Vallejo alcohol metallics are hands down the nicest looking metallics, but I don't use them much anymore cause I just didn't want the hassle anymore. That, and I do mostly nmm these days.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Vallejo alcohol metallics are hands down the nicest looking metallics, but I don't use them much anymore cause I just didn't want the hassle anymore. That, and I do mostly nmm these days.

I just use silver marker ink and wash over it with whatever color I want and it looks great in my opinion. I get that everyone wants to use stuff made by companies that sell stuff made for modeling but honestly there's a world of stuff out there that is as good or better for a lot of niche purposes. IN MY OPINION...

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

I mean the two metallics I use most are the gold and silver fluid acrylics from golden, so yeah.

The alcohol metallics aren't about the shine though. They have this deep luster, which is frankly pretty amazing.

Gareth Gobulcoque fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Oct 16, 2015

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

I've only seen them in sets. I have the metal and alchemy steel set, and it can do pretty much anything silvery. It comes with a blue, purple, green, and white metallic, which are surprisingly useful. They sets are kinda meant to work together, so I'd recommend that over picking them up individually.

Cool, good to know. Other places seem to like Scale75 more than VMA for darker metallics, and their color variety is nice...

Yeah, the alcohol-based metallics seem like a pain, but maybe they're worth a shot? Since I like the more "European" painting styles, I'm pretty set on doing TMM.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I actually really like how the alcohol based paints behave. There is a learning curve, but I find it really easy to use them.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

I like how they behave to. It's more that it's a different set up than my normal painting process, requires all of it's own stuff, and I don't feel like pulling all that stuff out.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Yeah that's definitely true. I have special steps just for the alcohol paints. I'm hooked at their luster though.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

dmnz posted:

My Goblin BSB with the Spider Banner for all of the poisoned shots.

That's a good lookin gobbo, and that banner's nice too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

BULBASAUR posted:

Yeah that's definitely true. I have special steps just for the alcohol paints. I'm hooked at their luster though.

Don't suppose you could elaborate? I'm a painting novice and got a few of their alcohol-based paints in one of their big variety paint boxes. It'd be cool to know if there were was of getting more use out of them.