Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Adult Sword Owner posted:

I'm just surprised that dual energy weapons is usable against the bigger guys.

My last smuggling mission was "200k for a single jump? Hell yeh!" and then I find out the place is 300k LS away. Fell asleep in supercruise, woke up a few hours later going over 2000c and I think half a lightyear past my target. I don't remember how far because it was 4AM and I just ALT-F4'd out. Is my ship going to be lost to the void?

C3 Pulse Lasers on a properly fitted Vulture can fire just about forever with 4 pips to WEP. What you lack in each individual hit is made up for in a steady stream of damage :getin:

The Vulture is already pretty nimble, and doesn't gain too much from having anything in ENG, which also is plus. You can run 3 in SYS and WEP all the time, but better to learn how to switch between the two on the fly, of course.

As for your ship, we probably can get to you? How much fuel do you have left to actually run the ship's basic needs? If you have enough to make a short up to a nearby star you should be fine. No matter how far out you are when you jump out, you'll always jump back to the largest/densest body in a system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!

Libluini posted:

If you don't want to side-step into a Viper, take an Imperial Courier. Sweet ship and easily affordable.

I think I had a Viper at one point (it's been a while since I played) but I left it for a Cobra because the range and cargo limitations were a bit much to me (could be different now for all I know).

I mainly bounty hunt and pirate, though sometimes I take cargo-hauling missions if they are going where I'm headed anyways.

I'd have to rank up for a Courier, does the Diamondback Scout require reputation with anybody as well?

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

chaosapiant posted:

You'll end up sitting in space wherever you signed out of. You can probably just jump back into the system from another system since you've blown way past where that trip back would be shorter. This sentence makes sense in my head.

The mission probably expired before I woke up, so oh well. Gonna jump back to Kombucha and finally fit some good weapons on the Vulture since I have another 5m from smuggling.

Literally Kermit posted:

C3 Pulse Lasers on a properly fitted Vulture can fire just about forever with 4 pips to WEP. What you lack in each individual hit is made up for in a steady stream of damage :getin:

The Vulture is already pretty nimble, and doesn't gain too much from having anything in ENG, which also is plus. You can run 3 in SYS and WEP all the time, but better to learn how to switch between the two on the fly, of course.

As for your ship, we probably can get to you? How much fuel do you have left to actually run the ship's basic needs? If you have enough to make a short up to a nearby star you should be fine. No matter how far out you are when you jump out, you'll always jump back to the largest/densest body in a system.

Right I just assumed that a laser + hard rounds would always be superior to laser + laser, but I guess at big guns like C3 that doesn't really hold up?

Also thanks I think I'm ok on fuel? I was on full before this one jump and then hours of witching, but I should have enough to at least jump to another system. If I am truly hosed I'll bug you guys in IRC.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

imperialparadox posted:

does the Diamondback Scout require reputation with anybody as well?

Nope

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Literally Kermit posted:

They're nimble, but slow. It can be nice having some spare points in ENG to keep your booster fed against faster targets, since that includes a lot of things.

The biggest advantage of bringing a cannon along is that dual G Pulse lasers will put you to sleep.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

I came back to ED this past weekend after stopping since before powerplay. The shields from the blue haired space princess seemed like a good deal so I ferried my ships from lugh to her space and pledged. Did some hauling of her gubbins to get to rank 2 but it seems the best way to get merits is to undermine? Is this still the case or has the most recent patch changed things.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Okay so how easy is it now to jump in, group up with goons and just shoot NPCs?

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer
It's not.

Use IRC and mumble. Coordinate from there to get into wings. Pray the instancing gods drop you into the same instance.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Michaellaneous posted:

Okay so how easy is it now to jump in, group up with goons and just shoot NPCs?

Very easy. Just add goons to friends and then wing up with them. There are plenty of us in/near 63 G. Capricorni.

Re: instancing, you can wing up with friends from anywhere in the galaxy which will make it instance you together every time. No praying required.

Shine fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Oct 14, 2015

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

LCL-Dead posted:

It's not.

Use IRC and mumble. Coordinate from there to get into wings. Pray the instancing gods drop you into the same instance.

Shine posted:

Very easy. Just add goons to friends and then wing up with them. There are plenty of us in/near 63 G. Capricorni.

I am getting conflicting reports here.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Michaellaneous posted:

I am getting conflicting reports here.

See my edit. Add people to friends and it's completely painless. He's probably doing it the hard way.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

So I don't need to fly a literal million miles anymore?

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer

Shine posted:

See my edit. Add people to friends and it's completely painless. He's probably doing it the hard way.

Is there a list anywhere?

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Michaellaneous posted:

You still have to make your way to each other. Being friends and winging up just guarantees you'll be instanced together wherever you meet. Make your way to 63 G. Capricorni and make that area your home if you want a large pool of goon buddies. Unless you're like 300 light years away in an Eagle, it shouldn't take long.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Shine posted:

You still have to make your way to each other. Being friends and winging up just guarantees you'll be instanced together wherever you meet. Make your way to 63 G. Capricorni and make that area your home if you want a large pool of goon buddies. Unless you're like 300 light years away in an Eagle, it shouldn't take long.

Yeah that's still lovely gamedesign.
But fine.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Michaellaneous posted:

That's not very far in this game

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I'm currently 5,500 light years away from populated space near the crab nebula, anyone wanna wing up and scan some ice rocks

Magnaflux
Jun 28, 2007
Frontier is doing a livestream on how some of the Horizons stuff is working and being built.

Check it out here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYHJY9JZNBA

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Some pretty cool previews there, including a 30km high mountain O_o

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

They said there won't be caves, which is disappointing but I didn't even think of them before so small loss I guess.

e: "Lighting is definitely dynamic. If you stay on a planet for a long time you will see the starscape change and you will see the star move around"

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Oct 14, 2015

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Shine posted:

This is maybe a dumb question, but is there some kind of friends list somewhere? I added some friends but I never used that part of the UI before and have no idea how to do things like looking up friends and sending direct messages.

knockout
Apr 27, 2014

my reputation's never been worse, so

Gestalt Intellect posted:

They said there won't be caves, which is disappointing but I didn't even think of them before so small loss I guess.

e: "Lighting is definitely dynamic. If you stay on a planet for a long time you will see the starscape change and you will see the star move around"

As much as I'm tight about having to buy a new game to play the game that I already bought, it would be pretty cool to watch an alien sunset from my bad rear end spaceship.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
That livestream the planet generation guys did was cool as gently caress.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Is there any kind of combat log or history in this? I managed to get my sidewinder exploded but I've got no idea by whom, player or npc. Pretty much one shotted me out of FSD

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Literally Kermit posted:

That livestream the planet generation guys did was cool as gently caress.

It was indeed very cool as gently caress. I wanna land on top of a 30km mountain and then drive a space car off of it.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Now I'm really pumped to see how differences in gravity from one planet to the other will affect the flight and driving model. They did confirm dynamic gravity (according to planet mass)...<3

Also, nebularise!

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Up. Starts at 8min

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Et5Ivi_yIg

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Shine posted:

C'mon now. I have plenty of people on my friends list. It doesn't change the fact that somehow, even when winged up, the game has still spit us out into different instances.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Libluini posted:

This is maybe a dumb question, but is there some kind of friends list somewhere? I added some friends but I never used that part of the UI before and have no idea how to do things like looking up friends and sending direct messages.

You can see/chat/invite online friends in the Comms panel (the little person tab), and you can see all friends in the main menu's Friends and Private Groups screen.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Shine posted:

You can see/chat/invite online friends in the Comms panel (the little person tab), and you can see all friends in the main menu's Friends and Private Groups screen.

So that's what the little men are for, thanks. Of course the guys who invited me aren't on there, maybe because I'm 10k light years away from them or something. Have to see if they show up in the main menu when I'm stopping for tonight.

Zaardvark
Apr 28, 2015

Ceci n'est pas un GIF.
*edit* Whoops, it would have been better for me to post this in the PGS thread instead. Just me talking about the best ship to use as a long-distance smuggler.

For those interested in Sothis runs, I'm going to echo earlier sentiments that a Cobra is probably best suited for long-distance smuggling, even moreso than something like a DBE. Most ships (like the DBE) that get really good jump distances are somewhat lacking in internal slots, but the Cobra can get a cargo capacity of up to 40 tons, which is pretty good for a ship that can also get a jump distance of around 24 LY. I've now done the run with a DBE and a FAS, the latter of which was horrible and I never want to do that again. Go forth and GIT PAID.

Zaardvark fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Oct 14, 2015

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

I struggle to find excitement over this. So far Frontier has shown themselves much better at making things expansive than making things interesting, and I'm afraid this is just going to end up like Mass Effect 1 planetary exploration or something.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

That's a really weird complaint to have about that video, since that's what it's supposed to be about. They said repeatedly "we're specifically not talking about gameplay things, that's a different team".

Besides, for some of us expansive is interesting.

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 381 days!
if horizons brings massive canyon systems and the Condor together then i will be all over this poo poo

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Voyager I posted:

I struggle to find excitement over this. So far Frontier has shown themselves much better at making things expansive than making things interesting, and I'm afraid this is just going to end up like Mass Effect 1 planetary exploration or something.

The video is just showing the early stages of their work on the planets, and they weren't focusing on gameplay. When they finish the graphics will be better of course, there will be outposts and fortresses (that you can attack/defend), vehicles, drones, shipwrecks you can salvage, mineral deposits, you'll be able to fly around inside canyons, etc, and eventually they'll add cities, planets with atmospheres, and life. The end product sounds pretty exciting to me. And eventually (in a few years maybe?), we might be able to walk around planets/ships/stations and do stuff in first person.

ChickenWyngz
Apr 3, 2015

Got them WMD's! Got that Pandemic!
I've got a 360 pad, would that be ok or should I grab a joystick?

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

ChickenWyngz posted:

I've got a 360 pad, would that be ok or should I grab a joystick?

Try it out, some people like them.

If you don't like it, spend $25-30 bucks on a Logitech 3D Extreme Pro

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Rah! posted:

The video is just showing the early stages of their work on the planets, and they weren't focusing on gameplay. When they finish the graphics will be better of course, there will be outposts and fortresses (that you can attack/defend), vehicles, drones, shipwrecks you can salvage, mineral deposits, you'll be able to fly around inside canyons, etc, and eventually they'll add cities, planets with atmospheres, and life. The end product sounds pretty exciting to me. And eventually (in a few years maybe?), we might be able to walk around planets/ships/stations and do stuff in first person.

Sure, I'm just afraid it's going to end up like their procedurally generated galaxy; a functionally infinite number of systems to do the same handful of activities in with the occasional odious travel time.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"
For me season 2/horizons/1.5 isn't really about the planetary landing, it's about basically everything else, cool ships, more modules, more/better missions, multicrew, character customization, etc. planetary landing is just icing on the cake.

But the mile wide inch deep criticism is well deserved by the game, and it will probably always be there for some people.

AndroidHub fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Oct 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

LCL-Dead posted:

Try it out, some people like them.

If you don't like it, spend $25-30 bucks on a Logitech 3D Extreme Pro

Or save that money and just use mouse and keyboard because it's perfectly playable with that.

• Locked thread