Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
In the game up to V1 at least they seem to have a particular design philosophy. It's sort of object oriented where they basically repeat level design and dynamics with small variations across zones and factions. Story lines differ, and the terrain can look different, but the basic layout and structures are pretty much all shared with some punctuating exceptions. I don't think they have put a lot of time into the design of unique instances. As a result they might not be very good at it. Thus far I don't mind so much because I am still just trying to figure out mechanics and how skills work/don't work together which is plenty entertaining for me. So far I have only partially explored Sorc and Templar and of course have no idea how PvP, CP and AP work. Because of the skill/attribute structure though this is beginning to give me some basic understanding on the shared lines like weapons, guilds, etc. Exploring the other classes and learning about that would entertain me for a while yet, even if there even more limited paper, rock, scissors in PvE. In theory I am learning this to PvP, but oddly have not really dipped into that yet.

One thing I wish is that there were some limited number of Magicka morphs in the weapon lines to mirror class based Stam morphs. Currently there are options for making your class scale in Stam almost all its trees, but only the staves for making weapons scale with Magicka. Probably a game breaking idea and they don't need my help to break the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Scyantific posted:

I don't give a gently caress if the rest of their content is nothing but solo poo poo, but if they don't throw in some new group content they might as welll just tell everyone interested in group play to go find a new game. And none of this "same exact dungeon but everything will kill you faster now" bullshit either like they pulled with White-Gold Tower and Imperial City Prison.

Aren't they adding two new dungeons in Wrothgar or are those just public dungeons

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Public dungeons.

Those can be solo'd by anyone with half a brain.

I want stuff like VCoH, VCoA. Dungeons with an expanded storyline that open up new areas inside them.

Hell they even have three dungeons that are basically built for continued storylines right now (Direfrost Keep, Blessed Crucible, and Selene's Web). And that was one of their biggest draws back during pre-2.0, "continued story content."

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
1-50 in the game was really fun and good. Could pve part of the night then jump into pvp and not be completely worthless for not being 50.

VR ranks ruined the game, instead of being like 50-75% useful in pvp, you turn into cannon fodder which pretty much cuts the game in half unless you are at max lvl.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
I am trying to figure Divines. What it looks like is that for basic enchants for attributes you get more from infused, but what if I am using Thief for crits? No real help from armor enchants there I think? Just traits. Not sure how the traits compare though. I am guessing that the crit trait is better for the large pieces and divines for the small. I can't seem to find an answer to how those stack though.

Doh. No crit traits for armor. So I dunno.

Sogol fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Oct 14, 2015

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Scyantific posted:

Public dungeons.

Those can be solo'd by anyone with half a brain.

I want stuff like VCoH, VCoA. Dungeons with an expanded storyline that open up new areas inside them.

Hell they even have three dungeons that are basically built for continued storylines right now (Direfrost Keep, Blessed Crucible, and Selene's Web). And that was one of their biggest draws back during pre-2.0, "continued story content."

Do are the veteran dungeons with IC just the same but harder mobs?

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!

tgidieday posted:

Not true, I'm just waiting for Aramek to get to v16.

Aww jeez, Rick...

The dps gear you made me is making the solo thing way easier, still way slower than the sorc murder machine would be, but, thanks again. I think I'm over half way through V9, I'll hit it some more when I get home.

tgidieday
May 7, 2007
You can't kill me, I quit!

Scyantific posted:

This has been the biggest puzzle to me. It'd be pretty easy to make vet versions of all the normal dungeons that don't currently have them. Instead, they added two whole new dungeons with only one version each. That seems like a lot more work for less benefit.

I'm wondering if they're using art assets saved up from development years ago, but they only have a skeleton crew now to fill them with interesting game mechanics. So you get this wonderfully intricate Imperial City area with basically nothing to do.

Tenzarin posted:

VR ranks ruined the game, instead of being like 50-75% useful in pvp, you turn into cannon fodder which pretty much cuts the game in half unless you are at max lvl.

To the designers' credit, they fixed that. Everyone's scaled to v16 now. Although people who expected to be instantly awesome were still getting killed, so now they're complaining about champion points being unfair. When those go away, those people will need to find some other reason why they're losing to people that practice all day.

I guess it's the PvE player in me, but I'm ok with some people being super-tough (like emperors). I think of it like a boss fight and plan accordingly.

Sogol posted:

Divines.

Infused makes your glyph up to 20% better, while divines makes your mundus up to 7.5% better. That chart I posted a while back about mundus stones has solid lines for 7 divines and dashed lines for 3 infused on the big glyph pieces (magicka/stamina) and 4 divines elsewhere, if you want to see how they compare. Short answer, use 7 divines until v16. At v16, you might get a tiny benefit from infused in certain cases, but it's negligible, so unless you care about .1% dps, stick with divines for the flexibility.

Aramek posted:

Aww jeez, Rick...

Time for some nDSA, I think.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Berke Negri posted:

Do are the veteran dungeons with IC just the same but harder mobs?

Basically. The only thing different is the optional objective for each dungeon's final encounter, which is only available in the veteran versions.

Talk about lazy.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

tgidieday posted:

I'm wondering if they're using art assets saved up from development years ago, but they only have a skeleton crew now to fill them with interesting game mechanics. So you get this wonderfully intricate Imperial City area with basically nothing to do.

I don't think they've lost too many dev people since launch but it is rather that console port took up a lot of dev resources and time. All the art assets were done like a year ago though probably

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
For the record, Scyantific, I'm pretty sure Murkmire is going to be an Adventure Zone like Craglorn. It is time to get some new solo content out there, though. So they're probably doing it on a rotation until the map is full.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
They should call the solo zone "Swampass."

HotBobaloo
Jun 19, 2002
Just bought the game, have a level 6 Templar on Ebonheart Pact. Would appreciate a guild invite @HotBobaloo.

Perpetual Notion
Nov 17, 2004

Scyantific posted:

My guess would be sdayer and wdayer. Not sure though.

Not us, we don't PVP. At least not yet

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger

Perpetual Notion posted:

Not us, we don't PVP. At least not yet

Wasn't PvP. If you, it was the main DC city in Rivenspire.

Is anyone working on leveling enchanting?

I want an enchanting buddy so I can:

- send runes
- craft them
- mail back the glyphs for decon

It's going to take years otherwise I think. I am currently just under lvl 20 or something like that and progress to the next skill point unlock has become glacial. (I want to be able to craft poison, defile and weapon power runes which cannot be bought and don't seem to drop often.)

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
At lvl 45 what sort of dps should I be looking at with zero CP for running dungeons?

Perpetual Notion
Nov 17, 2004

Sogol posted:

Wasn't PvP. If you, it was the main DC city in Rivenspire.

Is anyone working on leveling enchanting?

I want an enchanting buddy so I can:

- send runes
- craft them
- mail back the glyphs for decon

It's going to take years otherwise I think. I am currently just under lvl 20 or something like that and progress to the next skill point unlock has become glacial. (I want to be able to craft poison, defile and weapon power runes which cannot be bought and don't seem to drop often.)

Might have been us then, but we aren't wearing tabards that I'm aware of

tgidieday
May 7, 2007

Sogol posted:

At lvl 45 what sort of dps should I be looking at with zero CP for running dungeons?

With crafted gear, probably about 6k for stamina, 4k for magicka.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger

tgidieday posted:

With crafted gear, probably about 6k for stamina, 4k for magicka.

Ok. Below that on single target. hitting 10k on burst AoE. Failplar is a stamplar. Traveling through the weekend so doing so theory crafting on resource efficiency for sustained damage.

tgidieday
May 7, 2007
I'm assuming single target and "stamina" means weaving wrecking blow. If you're doing jabs, it'll be lower. Also if you need sustain, use three stamina cost reduction glyphs.

tgidieday fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Oct 16, 2015

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Yo I wanted to get some cool grinding mmo for the evening hours so what's the version to buy? The Steam version?

tgidieday
May 7, 2007
The imperial edition comes with the imperial race and mount, but you can buy those later with crowns. I'd just pick up the standard version from whatever's cheapest (GMG had it on sale for $12 before the DLC came out, so you might find a similar flash sale soon for Orsinium) and join us in the ebonheart pact on the north american server. If you hate all the ebonheart races, you can buy the adventurer's pack from the crown store to unlock everything except imperial.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Ah crud, no real EU presence?

tgidieday
May 7, 2007

Atrayonis posted:

Sure is boring on the EU PC side with basically no other goons aside from two playing and the guild leadership being AWOL.

I've never been, but going by this, it sounds less fun than NA.

e: Also, we have stroopwafels. Or at least I do.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
I'm eating a stroopwafel right now actually, had some pepernoten earlier. I got a key for 15 bucks on g2play (much love, shady keysellers) so I'm now downloading the game after clearing the 80(!!!)GB required.

Apparently the servers are in Texas for NA and Germany for EU though. Eh.

Orange DeviI fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Oct 16, 2015

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

killstealing posted:

I'm eating a stroopwafel right now actually, had some pepernoten earlier. I got a key for 15 bucks on g2play (much love, shady keysellers) so I'm now downloading the game after clearing the 80(!!!)GB required.

Apparently the servers are in Texas for NA and Germany for EU though. Eh.

Actually the NA servers are on the East Coast, otherwise I would be getting sub 50 ping.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Not saying you're wrong but I got this info from the site: megaservers

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Keep your mind be open window everyday

killstealing posted:

Yo I wanted to get some cool grinding mmo for the evening hours so what's the version to buy? The Steam version?

Buy the basic version and the Adventurer Pack. Don't buy Imperial Edition.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

JackBadass posted:

Buy the basic version and the Adventurer Pack. Don't buy Imperial Edition.

Done, thanks. There still room in the guild? I'll just message someone who's on, still downloading.

E: actually might try EU because latency is kinda killing me

Orange DeviI fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Oct 16, 2015

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

killstealing posted:

Done, thanks. There still room in the guild? I'll just message someone who's on, still downloading.

E: actually might try EU because latency is kinda killing me

Beats me, I handle the PS4 stuff.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger

tgidieday posted:

I'm assuming single target and "stamina" means weaving wrecking blow. If you're doing jabs, it'll be lower. Also if you need sustain, use three stamina cost reduction glyphs.

I am traveling so no in game time for a few days. Instead I made a spread sheet looking at the efficiency of various AoE and Single target skills. I have to get in game to make sure the numbers are right since the online skill calculators are all over the place. By efficiency I just mean the damage to resource ratio. I think even with the damage increases, for which I have not found an equation, WB is very low efficiency. I will be testing out the theory crafting on my failplar next week, but to me it looks like for both single and AoE efficiency on a stamplar Bow and DW are a lot more efficient. I am including weaves, but taking those as a constant across skills more or less. Again, it's not dosas (dps... Dosas are delicious, but not relevant), but rather resource efficiency for damage dealt.

Also in terms of possible efficiency NB's are insane it seems. I have not gone through the NB skill line though so not sure yet. If I can get the efficiency thing down where it could be really cool is making a Stam dk...

I do weave jabs either with a preloaded heavy that does not interrupt, or at the point of the step in the animation with a light. Jabs it turns out is not terribly efficient, though better than WB. Takes about the same time to animate as WB. Does some AoE and is much harder to mitigate than WB.

In other words, I am a bad and can't reliably get WB's off.

E: yeh, failplars attributes are all Stam and I use cost reduction glyphs.

Sogol fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Oct 17, 2015

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
This game is pretty cool but there's definitely a noticeable difference between EU/US when I try to block and jab and dodge stuff. Gonna see if playing kinda solo is a thing in this game, else hopping back on US I guess.

tgidieday
May 7, 2007
You can absolutely play solo while leveling, although it's fastest with two. And you won't miss having guildies until you get to endgame.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

RE: Stealth-resurrection change

ESO German CM posted:

Hier ist die Aussage, dich ich bekommen habe:
es gab einen alten Fehler, durch den bei getarnten Spielern die Wiederbelebungsstrahlen angezeigt wurden, wenn auch teilweise ausgehend von falschen Orten, wodurch Strahlen sich manchmal über den ganzen Bildschirm erstreckten. Dies war die Absicht der Korrektur.
Ich habe eure Bedenken, was dies fürs PvP kleiner Gruppen bedeutet, aber verdeutlicht und es wird nun diskutiert, ob/wie man es ändern kann.

Which roughly translates to:

quote:

It existed an old error which caused the revive-beams of hidden players to be visible, sometimes even from false spots where the player wasn't even located at which resulted in beams crossing nearly your whole screen.
The reason to disable hidden rezzes was to get rid of this error.
I forwarded your concerns regarding smaller groups in PvP and it started a discussion if and how we are able to change this.

Which basically comes down to:
"We encountered an old (i.e. we saw it during development) visual error, and instead of correcting the error itself, we're completely changing an aspect of gameplay to work around that error. Oh also we're just realizing we have something called PvP so we're gonna try and uh, make that fun I guess?"

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Wow so adventurer packs etc aren't shared across servers either huh

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
Hey there, folks! Could someone send a guild invite to @YappingEevee when they get a chance? :)

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Scyantific posted:

RE: Stealth-resurrection change

Which roughly translates to:

Which basically comes down to:
"We encountered an old (i.e. we saw it during development) visual error, and instead of correcting the error itself, we're completely changing an aspect of gameplay to work around that error. Oh also we're just realizing we have something called PvP so we're gonna try and uh, make that fun I guess?"

So what? You can't be hidden when reviving anymore. That's such a tiny change.

tgidieday
May 7, 2007
It's significant for small-group PvP. And if you're a fan of that play style, it's frustrating that the change was made for a dumb reason. Kinda like how PvE has to deal with the blocking and mitigation changes so that PvP is more competitive.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

tgidieday posted:

It's significant for small-group PvP. And if you're a fan of that play style, it's frustrating that the change was made for a dumb reason. Kinda like how PvE has to deal with the blocking and mitigation changes so that PvP is more competitive.

I don't know, sounds like complaining just to complain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
so uh....I'm making my NB healer minor in DOT DPS lol

So...non-optimal.....so satisfying...

• Locked thread