Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Funky Valentine posted:

The hierarchy is as follows:

- Phoenix
- Charley
- Mia's ghost
- Maya
- Trucy
- Pearl
- Athena
- Larry Butz
- Scruffy, the janitor
- Apollo

I think Apollo would still be higher than Larry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

When something smells, it's gotta be the Just.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Last Celebration posted:

This series is really cool. I just bought the trilogy when it was on sale and now I'm at case 3 of Dual Destinies. But flipping through the thread a bit, some people don't like Blackquill even though he's a cool faux-samurai man that tells bad dad jokes and insane prison anecdotes, and is generally a nice contrast to the other ones I've seen since he's just a dude doing his job competently that doesn't hold palpable contempt to the player like Godot did. Or help obviously innocent people nearly get convicted. I don't get it. :confused:

People dislike Blackquill? He was my second favorite prosecutor.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Like I said, I just flipped through some of the earlier pages of the thread and saw people saying they weren't that into him.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Well I certainly do. He sometimes feels he's the same joke told for the third time in a row. Never lost a case, really intimidating, dislikes the courtroom antics, physically abuses the defense and others in the court, etc.

Other times it feels like he has no character at all and he's just a giant pile of gimmicks with which to react to different situations. There's the psychology, sending out the attack animal, he likes giving nicknames, he tells prison stories, other stuff like that.

He's got his moments. I love when he gets really nerdy about Japan. But usually I think he's written really weirdly and inconsistently.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
i liked it when blackquill straight up left the courtroom to go on a walk because he was so tired of hugh's poo poo

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Case 5 spoilers: Wright...please stop presenting random evidence just to see how that person will react

Owns so much. :allears:

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Amppelix posted:

Well I certainly do. He sometimes feels he's the same joke told for the third time in a row. Never lost a case, really intimidating, dislikes the courtroom antics, physically abuses the defense and others in the court, etc.

Other times it feels like he has no character at all and he's just a giant pile of gimmicks with which to react to different situations. There's the psychology, sending out the attack animal, he likes giving nicknames, he tells prison stories, other stuff like that.

He's got his moments. I love when he gets really nerdy about Japan. But usually I think he's written really weirdly and inconsistently.

Edgeworth is really the only prosecutor without a gimmick when you think about it. Unless you count his inability to get witnesses to state their names and occupations.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

That's more of a running gag than a gimmick.

Though what about Winston Payne? He doesn't really have a gimmick.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Other than being the prosecutor who gets mopped up in the first case. (And having a really weak "Objection!")

Granted, that's probably more of a running gag than a gimmick.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Edgeworth's gimmick is being able to use logic. Investigations made that his special power, so it's the only thing that makes sense. :v:

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

What's logic, sir?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Terper posted:

What's logic, sir?

Labyrinthians aren't welcome here.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

How did that happen

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Terper posted:

What's logic, sir?

It's like magic!

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

This is a pretty cool Mario Maker level with an Ace Attorney theme:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOLVHGLXsZY

(you can skip to 1 minute)

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
The full Famitsu scans mostly telling us stuff we already know. The one important bit:

quote:

This week’s Famitsu formally introduces Apollo, specifically calling him and Phoenix out as “double Protagonists”. While Phoenix heads up the trials in Kurain, Apollo takes charge of the ones back in Japanifornia.

So it's not just Phoenix in the upcoming game, Apollo will get about as much screentime as him. If you told me after AA4 that would make me unreasonably excited, I wouldn't have believed you.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Blackquill is decent as a character, but he has so many loving gimmicks, and some of them run counter to his other gimmicks.

He's terse and no-nonsense, but he'll also go on weaboo nerds rant and has childish nicknames for everyone. He's fair and honest, but will happily use arguments like "Facts, schmacts, have you guys ever noticed that the defendant is really scary looking?" He constantly belittles the defense, which is standard for prosecutors, but it still makes him an rear end. He's supposedly the last, best hope of the Prosecutor's Office, even though he physically abuses the defense, is an rear end in general and tries to kill a defendant in the middle of a trial because it wasn't going his way.

Also the game presents it as a point in his favor, but it rankled me when he threw Fulbright under the bus without blinking. Yes, it turns out that he was correct in the end, but the man was still your partner and pretend-loyal friend for a year. At least be conflicted about it.

He definitely had his moments, like "This is bullshit, I'm going for a walk," and making Phoenix indict his real target while proving someone else's innocense, but for the most part, he felt like they were trying to write a third Godot half the time, and a completely different character the other half.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I just wish everyone would stop pretending he had a sword

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Phoenix vs. Layton had a prosecutor with a literal sword that he'd point at you to make a point, and he was less obsessed with swords than Blackquill.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Blackquill being completely serious about Robin being a paragon of manliness (which she is but not in the way that Simon meant) and the ensuing reaction are great.

In fact, every time things get ridiculous enough for Blackquill to use his freakout animation is great.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
Blackquill's best moment was during Hugh's testimony when he just goes "No, this is stupid" and walks out.

He's far from the best prosecutor, but he's still way better than Klavier.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I can at least give Klavier credit for being something different.

I'd imagine that maybe AA6's Kurain prosecutor (Two main characters means two prosecutors! Just imagine!) might be out of their element since they've never had to deal with a defense attorney anymore, but kinda easily come into their own, kinda like Barnham.

That or Payne is the prosecutor.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Kajeesus posted:

Phoenix vs. Layton had a prosecutor with a literal sword that he'd point at you to make a point, and he was less obsessed with swords than Blackquill.

That guy was cool.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

I'd imagine that maybe AA6's Kurain prosecutor (Two main characters means two prosecutors! Just imagine!) might be out of their element since they've never had to deal with a defense attorney anymore, but kinda easily come into their own, kinda like Barnham.

Idea for Kurain prosecutor: They channel the spirit of the recently deceased, you have dispute the testimony of the victim

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Idea for Kurain prosecutor: They channel the spirit of the recently deceased, you have dispute the testimony of the victim

(I played the demo at TGS)

The magic mirror in the court shows the last few minutes of the victim's life through their eyes and other senses, with the prosecutor narrating with their explanation of what's happening. You find contradictions between the narration and the vision.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

orenronen posted:

(I played the demo at TGS)

The magic mirror in the court shows the last few minutes of the victim's life through their eyes and other senses, with the prosecutor narrating with their explanation of what's happening. You find contradictions between the narration and the vision.

Okay that's pretty cool. I guess the main conflict will be the prosecution leading the court with disingenuous narration of the events, you could do some interesting stuff with that

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

Come to think of it, Apollo did say something about facing some butterfly woman as a prosecutor. So I wonder who Phoenix will be up against.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

fronz posted:

That guy was cool.

I liked when he tried to get Wright to stop pestering the witness because no, really, it actually was best for all involved

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Waffleman_ posted:

If this is going to be like AA5, then we'll probably be playing as Phoenix for the first and last cases of the game, with Apollo taking the midgame cases.

So I'd guess we'll get Payne as prosecutor for the first case for the sake of tradition. Then we meet the main prosecutor on Apollo's side of the board, and they either continue the role into endgame and end up facing Phoenix in court, or a mystery prosecutor emerges for the last case.

Though the magic mirror gimmick seems like it's too interesting to be regulated to a few cases. Maybe Apollo's cases hit a roadblock and they end up having to send the mirror over to clear things up.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Wyvernil posted:

Though the magic mirror gimmick seems like it's too interesting to be regulated to a few cases. Maybe Apollo's cases hit a roadblock and they end up having to send the mirror over to clear things up.

Yeah, they made an entire new gameplay interface to work it which I imagine they'll want to use in every single case.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
A siliconera articale that explains things as well.

http://www.siliconera.com/2015/10/14/ace-attorney-6-details-its-dual-protagonists-and-key-characters/

Leyfa Padma Kurain aka the girl that was featured when this was first announced appears to actually be an antagonist to Phoenix.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Speaking of, I don't think I ever posted my photo of the TGS demo area, taken while I was standing in line.

The mirror on the floor showed mirror footage from the game.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"
Oh snap, Kurain? Maya better be coming back in all this bidness here.

Kajeesus posted:

Also the game presents it as a point in his favor, but it rankled me when he threw Fulbright under the bus without blinking. Yes, it turns out that he was correct in the end, but the man was still your partner and pretend-loyal friend for a year. At least be conflicted about it.

To be fair, the guy killed his mentor and a whole assortment of other dastardly deeds. He wanted this guy more than anything else, even going so far as getting his psyche record smuggled into jail for safe keeping. Pretend loyalty or not, finding out 'Fullbright' was the one would've had me in 'Welp, gently caress you' mode, too.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

His gimmick is being the only prosecutor that has always been totally on the level. No hidden testimonies, no forged evidence (or "revised" autopsies) and no browbeating the judge. At his worst he ineffectually pleads with you to stop badgering the witness.

And what does he have to show for it? Total humiliation. No wonder everyone else cheats. Mark my words, the day Winston Payne lost his hair was the the day the Dark Age of the Law truly began.

His brother sucks tho.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The fact that Payne never cheats or is ever that much of a dick is just proof that he's bad at his job imo.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
That and the fact he's a bully, considering he only take easy cases against rookies if he can help it.

oopsie rock
Oct 12, 2012

orenronen posted:

Speaking of, I don't think I ever posted my photo of the TGS demo area, taken while I was standing in line.

The mirror on the floor showed mirror footage from the game.

Thanks so much for posting this! It looks awesome!

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

The fact that Payne never cheats or is ever that much of a dick is just proof that he's bad at his job imo.

The fact that his brother cheats and is that much of a dick and manages to be even worse at his job though...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Iceclaw posted:

That and the fact he's a bully, considering he only take easy cases against rookies if he can help it.

I don't think it's so much that he only takes easy cases against rookies as it is that most rookies end up going up against him and having their careers crash before they start.

He did have a pretty decent reputation before Mia destroyed the source of his power.

• Locked thread