Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Erpy posted:

Out of curiosity, is the manga series you bought the one below?

http://mangafox.me/manga/eiyuudensetsu_sora_no_kiseki/

I believe OMGFloofy once translated part of it, but I don't think it was finished.

Looks like it, yeah. Also, it's apparently licensed? Weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Some Numbers posted:

Looks like it, yeah. Also, it's apparently licensed? Weird.

Apparently Mangafox tends to tag stuff as licensed even when it's not actually available in the US, so that's probably why.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Erpy posted:

I believe OMGFloofy once translated part of it, but I don't think it was finished.

Floof did the prequel manga to Trails to Zero, as I recall; I think maybe a chapter or two of the FC manga as well? That was a while back, though.

And I'm not surprised if it's been licensed; Trails is beginning to "heat up" as a property, and I suspect SC and CS1 are going to crank the oven a lot higher, as it were.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

ok i finished FC so you can release SC now thank you

it was really good and i enjoyed it a lot

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Oct 4, 2015

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
In other news, apparantly the latest firmware update for the PSTV allows people to play Memories of Celceta without needing to apply a hack.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

No kidding? So they saw the people doing it and went "well, why not"?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

i went to the xseed site to try and see what they had to say about it if anything and lol what happened xseed

http://www.xseedgames.com/

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

oh no they fixed it but i got a screenshot:

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Cake Attack posted:

oh no they fixed it but i got a screenshot:

Maybe they're trying to help us get ready for SC.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
That's actually where they've been hiding SC the whole time.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Erpy posted:

In other news, apparantly the latest firmware update for the PSTV allows people to play Memories of Celceta without needing to apply a hack.

Wow, really? That's the game I bought my PSTV for back when it was new. Is there a confirmation somewhere about it?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Levantine posted:

Wow, really? That's the game I bought my PSTV for back when it was new. Is there a confirmation somewhere about it?

i have no idea how legitimate these people are but this is where i heard about it

https://twitter.com/vitareviews/status/650680601729703937

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Cake Attack posted:

i have no idea how legitimate these people are but this is where i heard about it

Well that's awesome news! I wonder if it works for the PS Store version or just the physical copy. I don't see why it would be different but I dunno. It's been a mess up til this point.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Cake Attack posted:

I have a PSTV so I investigated for people. For the record I did not ever apply the hack to my PSTV.

I can confirm that Ys: Celceta booted up for me after I put in in and when it initially told me it wouldn't load, doing a refresh and then trying it again had the game boot up. It does indeed work.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Levantine posted:

It was mentioned in the Celceta-PSTV thread on XSeed's forums:

http://forum.marvelous-usa.com/index.php?showtopic=27722&st=250#entry899055

Wyrdwad posted:

I've confirmed it on my end as well now! I wonder how many other games have just suddenly become compatible... and why they didn't do this sooner!

I also wonder how the PSTV will handle the game's touch puzzles, since the patch allowing for non-touch support in them was never pushed through to the English version. Does anyone have save-games near enough a touch puzzle that they'd be able to check? (I'm sure someone else at the office does, if not, but I unfortunately do not.)

-Tom

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Can also confirm that Celceta works.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

someone at SCEA went "oh it's just like, a single file? we can change that"

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
It's not even a file, just a flag.

The problem is that the game was originally flagged as "incompatible" because it requires use of the touchpad in a few places. I'm not sure the game will work without touchpad access in those places. It was flagged for a reason, so if you try to play it on the PSTV right now, be ye fairly warned.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
Am I missing something or does PSTV not emulate the touchpad? Like you can press L3 and R3 to emulate the front and back touchpad with x to hold down. Is that not the touchpad? It'd obviously be problematic for anything where timing is required--like it can get kind of tricky during Hearts R--but not impossible.

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~

Decus posted:

Am I missing something or does PSTV not emulate the touchpad?

You can. You can also emulate multitouch by using L2 and R2 while in a touch mode. You just have to enable it in your controller settings (hold PS button).

I've been playing around with Memories since I applied the whitelist hack and so far everything works. I haven't gotten up to the touch puzzle but since it only ever requires a single point of touch it should be fine.

Also the DS4 controller's touchpad can emulate multittouch on the front screen without R3 and L3 which is cool.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Erpy posted:

Well, I'd be interested in the story differences between the manga/game. There's usually quite a few of them due to mangas having to cram a large story into a limited amount of pages.

Three chapters into volume one so far.

Story starts with Estelle and Joshua trying to catch a kitten. Estelle and Luke butt heads and Josh ends up finishing the job.

Estelle and Josh head over to the Perzel Farm and the events are unchanged. When Estelle and Josh get back to Rolent, Aina tells them that Luke and Pat ran off to the Esmelas Tower.

Estelle and Josh climb the tower looking for the kids and run into Professor Alba. They save him from some monsters and he convinces them to let him tag along to the roof.

Luke and Pat are hiding on the roof, Luke is a dick to Estelle and she gives him a thorough talking-to. Alba gives his talk on the Sept-Tillions and the Aureole. Estelle herds everyone off the roof, just as some monsters attack. Josh protects the civilians, but isn't feeling 100%. At the last second, Scherazard shows up to save them.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Falcom went pretty silent on Ys 8 after the reveal last year. Did they show anything at TGS this year, or even mention it? I want some next gen Ys.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Didn't get mentioned as far as I know, since they announced a PS4 version and the last time they put anything on a home console was PS2 it might end up having a longer development than usual.

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~
Last announcement was quite some time ago as they've been mostly pushing Tokyo Xanadu. They'll probably get back to Ys Does Greece announcements soon, probably not until next year though.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
The PSP version of Trails SC will definitely not have special phrases for each individual chest, because SC's empty chest line only pointed to a single string. However, there is the possibility that all 522(!) chests in the Steam version of Trails SC will have custom strings. No promises, though.

PSP Master Testing, versus...

Tom from XSeed posted:

Master testing, in this case, refers to Sony evaluating the game to ensure it meets their standards to be offered on PSN, and fixing any issues they might have that would prevent it from doing so.

For PC titles, Valve and GOG don't have any such mastering requirements -- I don't know exactly how they work (particularly GOG, since I've only personally worked on Steam releases before), but I do know they more or less pre-approve games early on as opposed to giving final approval at the end of the process. So we're already good to go for the PC version -- we could theoretically release it RIGHT NOW if we wanted to, but it's not quite ready for that. There are still a few too many small issues that need to be resolved to ensure the game doesn't crash on people or create weird skip points or screw up an important story scene.

In other words, we're waiting for master testing to finish for the PSP version, whereas for the PC version, we're finalizing our own internal testing to ensure the game meets *our* standards.

Our plan is to finish one alongside the other, though, and everything is pretty much on schedule for that to be the case. So we should be releasing simultaneously after all.

Regarding how big SC is on PSP, I can't recall the exact number, but it's somewhere above the 2 GB mark, IIRC. I'd say make sure you have at least 3 GB free to be safe.

Steam "testing"

Sara posted:

Steam's verification process is actually basically "We'll see if the game runs for us at all. Does it? Cool!" other than requiring certain amounts of info for the store pages and such. Putting up the board actually is in the developer's hands if they want to do it early -- most things are. Steam has done an amazing job of putting almost everything at the developers' fingertips, which is part of what makes their system incredibly easy to use. About the only things developers can't change at just any time are things like region-locking or changing prices or release dates instantly, since the former is not in the back-end at all, while the latter must both be approved by Valve before anything can be done at all. They make it all very easy. That's why devs love them so much.

Edit: Also, to put it frankly, no, the PSP version isn't going to have chest phrases. I'm not the coder for the PSP version and to put it simply, as others have observed before, SC did not originally have the ability for that like FC did. If it happens, it will be a PC only feature. But that has absolutely NO BEARING on any of the verification processes.

So while the PSP version is pretty much ready and just going through the approval process, the PC version is still being worked on. But they still estimate a simultaneous release. Whether the PC version gets special chest phrases is still up in the air. Even if that does happen, it might not be in the initial release.

I'll probably not play SC for the first couple of weeks anyway to let them patch it (in the meantime I can replay FC).

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Oct 11, 2015

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Wait, the chest line thing did not exist in the Japanese version and was something XSeed added for fun? That's fantastic, they really are the best.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Wait, the chest line thing did not exist in the Japanese version and was something XSeed added for fun? That's fantastic, they really are the best.

Yep, it exists solely because they noticed the quirk in FC's programming where each chest refers to its own "It's empty" message, and decided to turn them into a variety of jokes.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

The PSP version of Trails SC will definitely not have special phrases for each individual chest, because SC's empty chest line only pointed to a single string. However, there is the possibility that all 522(!) chests in Trails SC will have custom strings. No promises, though.

PSP Master Testing, versus...

Steam "testing"

So while the PSP version is pretty much ready and just going through the approval process, the PC version is still being worked on. But they still estimate a simultaneous release. Whether the PC version gets special chest phrases is still up in the air. Even if that does happen, it might not be in the initial release.

I'll probably not play SC for the first couple of weeks anyway to let them patch it (in the meantime I can replay FC).

*shrug* I kinda assume that any patches they make during the first few weeks will be for things I won't have reached yet anyway.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Ugh, I just realised that there's no guarantee that the PSP version will get an EU release making it a pain to get on my Vita.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

Ugh, I just realised that there's no guarantee that the PSP version will get an EU release making it a pain to get on my Vita.

XSEED might do it themselves, since there's not going to be a physical release like last time, so I don't think there's much keeping them from doing so. They've published PSP games digitally here in the past, anyway (like some Ys games and Brandish). Probably won't be a simultaneous release, though.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Sakurazuka posted:

Ghostlight will publish it in 2018, for 50 pounds/70 AUD.

e: and it will have a game ending bug that will persist for 18 months

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

smenj posted:

XSEED might do it themselves, since there's not going to be a physical release like last time, so I don't think there's much keeping them from doing so. They've published PSP games digitally here in the past, anyway (like some Ys games and Brandish). Probably won't be a simultaneous release, though.

I believe the plan is for XSEED to release it on the EU PSN themselves - no reason not to, like you pointed out. Offhand I don't know that for certain, though. Worth bothering them on Twitter about it, or sending them an email.

Motto posted:

Yep, it exists solely because they noticed the quirk in FC's programming where each chest refers to its own "It's empty" message, and decided to turn them into a variety of jokes.

Specifically: each chest was basically an "entity", in the same way an NPC is. They had a "open chest, get thingie" message, and each one had the same "chest is empty" message, pasted over and over, in the scripting files. It was thus pretty painless to put a lot of jokes in there, since the script rigging already existed for the text to be different if anyone wished it. SC, by contrast, re-wired this to have empty chests all loop back to the same text string, instead of bloating out the files with tons of chest entities.

edit - And on the subject of Ys Does Greece, next year is when they'll start up the hype machine for that in earnest, I'm sure. All their efforts this year have been focused on Tokyo Xanadu, and it looks like those efforts are paying off. I kinda wonder about an international release, just because the Vita has quickly entered an awkward place at retail (and DD-only on the Vita wouldn't quite cut the mustard for a project of TX's scope), but it wouldn't surprise me at all if XSEED tries to find a way to make it work.

SpaceDrake fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Oct 11, 2015

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~
They localized Brandish: the Dark Revenant years after the functional death of the PSP. These people are crazy enough to try anything.

Except Grand Knights History... but we don't talk about that.

Seraphna
Oct 12, 2015

GalaxyTrail CM

Cake Attack posted:

i went to the xseed site to try and see what they had to say about it if anything and lol what happened xseed

http://www.xseedgames.com/

This actually happens repeatedly and it can happen still in different browsers. What's happening is the domain's been hijacked via Google's webmaster tools, someone else claimed the site was theirs and set up a 301 Redirect to a spam website, it's a pretty cheap and common "hack", to the point I feel like someone was butthurt at XSEED and decided to do it as a prank. This happened before months ago... it seems they keep fixing it.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Xseed is apparently doing a press thing today and I don't want to get anyone's hopes up, but there's literally a 100% chance they will announce a release date for SC and also a localization for Xanadu and yes, even Zweii II on Steam.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Cake Attack posted:

Xseed is apparently doing a press thing today and I don't want to get anyone's hopes up, but there's literally a 100% chance they will announce a release date for SC and also a localization for Xanadu and yes, even Zweii II on Steam.

loving tenterhooks man.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

Cake Attack posted:

I think all the info is embargoed until tomorrow though

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

xseed's site is selling dick pills again. What's up with this constantly happening?

Sivek fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Oct 14, 2015

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Sivek posted:

xseed's site is selling dick pills again. What it is up with this constantly happening?

It is to ready us for SC.

Cake Attack posted:

I am going to destroy you if it turns out you're lying to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

The Colonel posted:

It is to ready us for SC.

I am going to destroy you if it turns out you're lying to me.

Well, as I understand it, I think the press thing is actually tomorrow, so...

Though the part about it being pretty much 100% including SC is probably right.

• Locked thread