Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I am not a lawyer, but my understanding of booby trap law is that they're illegal.

However, it's not necessarily illegal to have an unsafe home. So a pit trap in your living room would be illegal, but if you have a bunch of rotting floorboards and you've got dangerous piles of trash and rusty old bicycles, you might avoid the worst problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I am not a lawyer, but my understanding of booby trap law is that they're illegal.

However, it's not necessarily illegal to have an unsafe home. So a pit trap in your living room would be illegal, but if you have a bunch of rotting floorboards and you've got dangerous piles of trash and rusty old bicycles, you might avoid the worst problems.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WllmUTgi5Tg

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

mr. mephistopheles posted:

How many of those social issues were backed up by a Constitutional Amendment and had a lobby as powerful as the NRA.

The NRA's strength is overstated. If you look at the last few election cycles, their win record regarding candidates they support is pretty bad. Some politicians still run from them as though they're invincible, but there's an opening for politicians who challenge them directly.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Spite posted:

I mentioned this in the other thread: the only thing that has resulted in actual gun control in this country is scary minorities showing up to courthouses and polling places with large guns.

If there were large groups of non-white "concerned citizens" around during the election next year I bet you'd hear more noise about who should and should not have guns. Just like what happened with the guy that got kicked out of the oath keepers or whatever group it was for wanting to arm Ferguson protesters in solidarity. (or the armed groups would get shot, which is probably where we're at as a society these days)

Why do you think we worked so hard on giving so many felony records?

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Senf posted:

Eh, I know an openly-racist, gun-lowing guy that's halfway through the interview process for a local police department. He's on many occasions told me that "all Muslims should be taken care," "profiling isn't racism," and that he "really wants to be able to carry [his] own gun" after he's hired.

His grandfather is a well-liked retired officer who spent much of his career with the department he's interviewing with, so I'm sure he'll get in.

I seriously looked into becoming a cop a couple years ago for the whole "be the change you want to see" blah blah but I've basically done way too many drugs and there's like two cities in the whole country that don't do polygraphs and they seem almost exclusively designed to catch people who lied about drug use and I wasn't confident I could beat it and it's always one of the last steps in a process that can take up to a year to get through.

I get why they'd target people who will unquestionably enforce the law independent of personal beliefs but that tends to make it lean toward dumb motherfuckers who have absolute faith in the law and a very black and white view of morality.

mr. mephistopheles fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Oct 12, 2015

Moxie
Aug 2, 2003

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

That's not gonna pass inspection though

Also i submit that all these justifications for anti booby trap laws could also apply to guns

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Moxie posted:

Also i submit that all these justifications for anti booby trap laws could also apply to guns

They won't because 2nd Amendment and Murrika.

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice

Moxie posted:

Booby traps are automated and indiscriminate, guns require some level of agency to fire (unless they're rigged to a booby trap, obviously)

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD

THIS PERSON
Would also throw a fit if someone didn't say Merry Christmas!

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer
And here's the rest of the miscellaneous Extremely Pissed Off Right Wingers II for this week

So close and yet so far

So sayeth Obama in this macro, while you're looking at the EPORWII site. hm.

Time to give 111%!

Frowny face :(

ARE VETS

Probably true, considering how black people couldn't vote

Oh that's what you meant

\
This macro makes me want to find a freshman philosophy TA and acknowledge the thankless work they do every day

I'm sure this macro contradicts the last one somehow

[citation needed]

I love death

Awkward

Nothing is Racist

How dare you misuse the star trek font for this drivel

White people never realize how privileged they are. A good macro

Ok, sure.

True, capitalism is more complicated than that

jpg artifacts before all!

EPORWII is anti-Darrel Issa?

This is either a comment on right to die or an inadvertent admission that Obamacase is so good it can keep you alive when half your body is missing

That reminds me: why haven't you closed Guantanamo Bay, Barry :mad:

California sounds terrible. Surely no one wants to live there...

Dad Jokes

Trump will bring the zombie apocalypse?

This came up in the comments regularly

Fuckin hippies amirite

now more about how illegal immigrants should be deported and get no benefits.
"Indians?" really?

Hillary

Can anyone parse this?

Too real, EPORWII. Too real. :(

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
That loving Native American macro.

:psyboom:

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Defenestration posted:

Can anyone parse this?

Liberals said that anyone who likes the Confederate flag are evil dumb racists. But then South Carolina got massive flooding and some of the people who owned boats also owned Confederate flags and saved the liberals from drowning. This proves everyone who likes the Confederate flag is a great person and that liberals are dumb.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Rednecks own big vroom-vroom motor toys which are generally useless outside recreation. In an emergency, they become temporarily useful. Many of these rednecks casually sport a symbol of a slave state, ostensibly for its connotations of rebellion.

Thus, all people who support the Confederate flag are lionhearted heroes.

At long last, those who decried the Stars 'n' Bars will get their comeuppance for their hubris! Dixie's hallowed ancestors shall taste vengeance 'gainst those who struck their gallant banner AUGHHHHHHHHHHHH

i must rest now i.. . i have become most weary

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

What the gently caress is up with the typesetting on this one?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

I love this one because it's actually true.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

quote:

:psypop:
I haven't gone through the looking glass this hard since the last time Microsoft had an E3 presentation.

quote:

Too real, though I have other options personally :canada:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

SwitchbladeKult posted:

I don't know if it's been posted or not but a meme has been floating around Facebook for days about the "biased anti-gun media" that can be debunked in 30 seconds of Googling. It keeps spreading because the cognitive dissonance of pro-gun advocates is so drat high you can't even speak to them. They refuse to live in the real world.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/guns/pearlhigh.asp

In the wake of dead first graders he was brought in to tell his story on an NPR program:

http://www.thestory.org/stories/2013-03/joel-myrick

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Anosmoman posted:

Well it seems pro-gun folks are getting excited about mental health issues so that'll surely lead to strong bi-partisan measures to strengthen mental health treatment.

No, it'll only lead to mental illness being further demonized and in turn make it harder for the mentally ill to seek treatment. To pro-gun people in America, and the world and even this very board, the mentally ill are nothing more than a scapegoat for them to shift the blame onto.

"Surely it cannot be the guns fault, he must have been mentally ill! Goddamn those niggers spics faggots mentally ill! They give us reasonable gun owners a bad name!"

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I've been seeing a lot of bullshit lately about how the NAU shooting proves that Ben Carson was right about how to stop shooters.

I can't help but wonder if the shooter had managed to kill all his victims before being tackled, if he'd be treated like a George Zimmerman who successfully defended himself from a bunch of thugs.

Throwing Turtles
May 3, 2015

Defenestration posted:

[citation needed]

Citation.
http://www.snopes.com/politics/taxes/itin.as

Although to be fair the issue looks a lot more complicated then Mexicans bad, but there you go.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

SSNeoman posted:

:psypop:
I haven't gone through the looking glass this hard since the last time Microsoft had an E3 presentation.
They named the third reich the reich one.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Reagan and Giffords have both happened within living memory, and did not even make a dent.

Under Reagan the supply of registered machine guns was frozen at 1985 levels, then in 1991 Bush I signed the import ban on military-type rifles, and then in 1994 Clinton signed in the Assault Weapons Ban which sunset after 10 years.

None of those things had any appreciable effect on crime though since registered machine guns have almost never been used in a crime since full auto isn't particularly useful for 99% of even violent criminals and for the few that it is its doable (if not Hollywood-easy) to convert some weapons if you're so highly keen. And the 1991 and 1994 restrictions were pretty close to worthless because they defined "assault weapon" by external features unrelated to lethality or criminal utility, so when companies modified firearms to get them back on the market it wasn't even slightly a loophole, it was following the letter of the law as written.

You could argue that the 1991 import ban had some slight utility in raising prices slightly on imported semi-auto rifles to make them compliant, but it also unintentionally served as trade protectionism for small US firms, who all things being equal are much more involved in firearms politics and ideology etc. as opposed to some Belgian factory.

TapTheForwardAssist fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Oct 13, 2015

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

quote:

I mentioned this in the other thread: the only thing that has resulted in actual gun control in this country is scary minorities showing up to courthouses and polling places with large guns.

A reminder that five sitting Congressmen were shot in 1954 right there on the House Floor by Puerto Rican nationalists up in the visitor's gallery: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Capitol_shooting_incident_(1954)

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

Defenestration posted:

And here's the rest of the miscellaneous Extremely Pissed Off Right Wingers II for this week

Nothing is Racist

Even pretending the definition is true, how is the use they are referring to for "racist" a "verb"?

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Under Reagan the supply of registered machine guns was frozen at 1985 levels, then in 1991 Bush I signed the import ban on military-type rifles, and then in 1994 Clinton signed in the Assault Weapons Ban which sunset after 10 years.

None of those things had any appreciable effect on crime though since registered machine guns have almost never been used in a crime since full auto isn't particularly useful for 99% of even violent criminals and for the few that it is its doable (if not Hollywood-easy) to convert some weapons if you're so highly keen. And the 1991 and 1994 restrictions were pretty close to worthless because they defined "assault weapon" by external features unrelated to lethality or criminal utility, so when companies modified firearms to get them back on the market it wasn't even slightly a loophole, it was following the letter of the law as written.

You could argue that the 1991 import ban had some slight utility in raising prices slightly on imported semi-auto rifles to make them compliant, but it also unintentionally served as trade protectionism for small US firms, who all things being equal are much more involved in firearms politics and ideology etc. as opposed to some Belgian factory.

Exactly, neither did anything to curb the actual kinds of gun ownership that are responsible for the constant stream of mass shootings in this country.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Defenestration posted:

[citation needed]

I agree, we should increase the enforcement budget for the IRS.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Billy Gnosis posted:

Even pretending the definition is true, how is the use they are referring to for "racist" a "verb"?

Probably the same reason as the bizarre pronunciation guide.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

James Garfield posted:

Probably the same reason as the bizarre pronunciation guide.

I'm trying to figure out what that would sound like using IPA characters, and it's loving weird.

It's like (R-r-r)aayoo-Sseesst or something as far as I can make out.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I've been seeing a lot of bullshit lately about how the NAU shooting proves that Ben Carson was right about how to stop shooters.

I can't help but wonder if the shooter had managed to kill all his victims before being tackled, if he'd be treated like a George Zimmerman who successfully defended himself from a bunch of thugs.

heh guns are simultaneously necessary for self-defense and easily defended against if unarmed.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Brawnfire posted:

I'm trying to figure out what that would sound like using IPA characters, and it's loving weird.

It's like (R-r-r)aayoo-Sseesst or something as far as I can make out.

My favourite thing is that there's only one language that pronounces "rey" as "ray" and it ain't English.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"The warmth of life has entered my tomb!"

Defenestration posted:

Nothing is Racist

Yeah... this really irritates me. My parents refuse to admit that thinking all blacks are criminals is racist. Clearly the only reason I call them racists is to win imaginary argument points. I don't talk to them anymore.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Posting here because of the threads creator.

Breitbart using a PAC and using Vilerat's face for it makes me disgusted. Claiming he'd be asking for more investigations make me loving sick.

The words "GO gently caress YOURSELF" just seem to not be strong enough.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

A reminder that five sitting Congressmen were shot in 1954 right there on the House Floor by Puerto Rican nationalists up in the visitor's gallery: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Capitol_shooting_incident_(1954)

I knew about this but this I didn't know:

quote:

in 1978 and 1979, they were pardoned by President Jimmy Carter; all four returned to Puerto Rico.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
If you all don't shut the gently caress up about guns I will Helldump this thread again, I don't care what it does to my mental health.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Fulchrum posted:

If you all don't shut the gently caress up about guns I will Helldump this thread again, I don't care what it does to my mental health.

Do it motherfucker

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Just a mad weather-ologist :science:

FuzzySkinner posted:

Posting here because of the threads creator.

Breitbart using a PAC and using Vilerat's face for it makes me disgusted. Claiming he'd be asking for more investigations make me loving sick.

Can I get link? I've been trying to find it to no avail.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Ron Jeremy posted:

I knew about this but this I didn't know:

In retrospect, the 1980 Election was really unlucky for Carter but also kind of a culmination of a whole bunch of dumb stuff that he did.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD
I've seen surprisingly little right wing rage about (or even acknowledgment of) last night's debates. Aside from Huckabee's racist tweet but really that happens every day.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

Lightning Jim posted:

Can I get link? I've been trying to find it to no avail.

I assume he's talking about this.

FuzzySkinner posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

PUGGERNAUT posted:

I've seen surprisingly little right wing rage about (or even acknowledgment of) last night's debates. Aside from Huckabee's racist tweet but really that happens every day.

My favorite so far as been noting the Democratic debate was full of old white people while the GOP debate had a business tycoon, a former CEO, and a neurosurgeon. Actually comparing apples to oranges, but whatever.