Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Threep posted:

And the current lead on BC recently wrote this blog post:

http://blog.asie.pl/a-tale-of-joules.html
That post doesn't even make sense. There are so many ways around this, and not just the ones he listed.

There is actually no difference between pulsing and streaming. A time averaged look at the system is identical.

If you want "pulsing" functionality for zany pipes that no one in their right mind uses anymore or bursty machines you can implement it in your mod trivially in a way where it functions just like before but doesn't mess with other mods. I don't understand how you can program a mod but not understand how to implement something like that. If other mods want to treat rf as pulsing they can implement it themselves or you can get together and write a library/api/whatever that all of the pulsing mods call. But it's not rf that is pulsing, it's your mod that is only allowing power transfers every n ticks.

If you implement it on a machine level it's trivial. TE itself, and most RF mods, only have actions performed when a certain energy buffer amount is reached. That's literally the "pulsing" power system that he describes.

If you implement it on a pipe level you just do streaming but monitor the power input over n ticks and if it exceeds the limit you have it do whatever bad thing you want. Or, you can sample the rf/t every n ticks and multiply it by n. If you only want them to handle a 2k rf packet over 50 ticks you literally divide 2k/50 and limit the rf traveling through to 40rf/tick. And pipes can clearly have rf/t limit because pretty much every implementation of ducts has it. Like, pulsing makes no difference at all in practice. The pipe thing is actually somewhat tricky because I'm not entirely sure what is called normally and what isn't and you don't want overhead, but old bc pipes had a ton of overhead.

Implementing it on an engine level means you just output a set rf/t... like all rf generators/engines/dynamos. If you want them to heat up or whatever they output less rf/t. It works the same drat way as packets.

It's like he doesn't understand the math behind what he is trying to do.

Note that I actually liked BC engines unlike lots of people here. And I like BC for the most part. It was hilarious when my combustion engines exploded because I added 2 extra and the water feeding method I used couldn't keep up with the extra two engines. I even like BC item pipes and all the pipe mods for different types of pipes. I liked planning out little networks with those. I like logistics pipes too. But, that post just doesn't make sense.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Oct 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Threep posted:

And the current lead on BC recently wrote this blog post:

http://blog.asie.pl/a-tale-of-joules.html

God this blog post is so dumb.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
It's like most of his complaints are from the BC machines using a different set of expectations than the other mod machines do and they don't quite mesh! Oh no! Have your pipes work only on BC stuff and lo, your issues with RF are gone. What about integrating with other mods? gently caress 'em, you clearly never cared according to that blog post.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Sage Grimm posted:

It's like most of his complaints are from the BC machines using a different set of expectations than the other mod machines do and they don't quite mesh! Oh no! Have your pipes work only on BC stuff and lo, your issues with RF are gone. What about integrating with other mods? gently caress 'em, you clearly never cared according to that blog post.

yeah you can almost taste the despondency when he talks about railcraft and forestry getting off the MJ train

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

the best part is that forestry and railcraft are so outmoded and awful that even if they did go back to MJ, no one would care

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Nasty Surprises so far: Mandrakes, skeleton cats, and the fact the flower creators are 3x3 (I cheated a few in after emptying in a 1x1 and not getting a single white flower)
Death count: 26

I have a goblin thing trapped in there and he wants calamari for some weird dust. I moved him to the basement (currently empty).

No animals on my pasture yet. I might be in the wrong biome. I hope I don't have to move!

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Oct 14, 2015

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Bhodi posted:

Nasty Surprises so far: Mandrakes, skeleton cats, and the fact the flower creators are 3x3 (I cheated a few in after emptying in a 1x1 and not getting a single white flower)

I have a goblin thing trapped in there and he wants calamari for some weird dust. I moved him to the basement (currently empty).

No animals on my pasture yet. I might be in the wrong biome. I hope I don't have to move!

there's a different way to get animals in this pack, you can craft spawn eggs (you'll get quests for them once you have enough of "The Life of the World" finished)

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Yay, good to know. Started on early botania and next stop, enderman murderville.

LOL at that blog post - Easy to use with no annoying side effects = "forbidden fruit" that people "can't resist once they've had a taste", and this is deemed a negative thing

gently caress that guy

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Glory of Arioch posted:

regrowth is grindy as hell but still pretty fun :yaycloud:

Agreed.

I really enjoyed regrowth. I just wish I'd been given AE earlier so I could automate those drat runes.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Bhodi posted:

LOL at that blog post - Easy to use with no annoying side effects = "forbidden fruit" that people "can't resist once they've had a taste", and this is deemed a negative thing

It's almost like I want to build things and have them stay built not spend 80% of my time maintaining the things I've already built

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
is there a fast way to auto-pick all botania flower to petals, I guess you can use 9 of those crafting frames?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Bhodi posted:

is there a fast way to auto-pick all botania flower to petals, I guess you can use 9 of those crafting frames?

e: thought of a better way

drum of the wild, hopperhock connected to a chest/hopper going into a crafty crate with the one-item preset installed

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

Reason posted:

How is legends? Is it a quest mod?

No quests as far as I can tell. The teaser site made it seem like an indiana jones explore ancient ruins thing, but I tried it for a bit and had no clue what to do. I guess I've been spoiled by all the nice HQM packs recently and I didn't want to just google every mod and figure out what to do with it.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I never did figure out how to use the crafty crate. There was supposed to be a gui that popped up, but I could never get it open.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
The crafty crate is a pile of rear end

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
There isn't an already-working system in existence that some mod author won't reinvent, but worse!

This includes a second version of their own creations.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
So in theory the crafting crate is ridiculously powerful because it can automatically change recipes on the fly if you do enough setup and you could actually have a system where you press a redstone button and it does things in the back and vomits out the item, but in practice it's a dumb, overly complex piece of poo poo

It'll assemble any item without a pre-programmed recipe, except if you number the item slots

then it will always put whatever it gets into the lowest number available item slot, and you have to feed it special crafty crate padding items in the right order to get it to do recipes right. So like for a diamond pick, you'd give it diamond, diamond, diamond, filler item, stick, filler item, filler item, stick, filler item, in that order, and it'll spit out a diamond pick and four filler items. Fortunately it doesn't consume the filler items, but it's still garbage because of how ridiculously complicated the redstone logic to spit out those items in that order is.

Magres fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Oct 14, 2015

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Bhodi posted:

I never did figure out how to use the crafty crate. There was supposed to be a gui that popped up, but I could never get it open.

no, part of the botania gimmick is there are no guis on anything ever

e: the way the crafty crate works is you use a hopper/hopperhock/etc to put items into it, and if they are in the right order and form a recipe, the crafted item pops out

you can represent blank squares with a placeholder item, and you can also craft placeholder items into a few predefined shapes and apply them to the crafty crate so it only ever tries to make items with those slots open

it actually works really well for the case of "automatically turn any mystical flower into petals" because you can use the "only one" preset and then pump any flower into it and get what you want

Gwyneth Palpate fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Oct 14, 2015

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I couldn't get the presets to accept the filler items or any of the presets. Maybe crafting flowers and other 1->X items are basically the only useful thing? The flowery non-specific documentation that botania loves is useless. I'll try it out tonight.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

anyways the trick to the crafty crate for crafting anything more complex than that is to use analog redstone and the corporea network

the crafty crate outputs a redstone signal with a strength equal to the number of items currently in the crate

anyways here's a way to craft basically anything

http://gfycat.com/NippyLividBoilweevil

and here is the circuitry, the hardest part is snaking an analog signal upwards without losing any signal strength but strongly powered blocks win the day

no complex timing or other mods necessary, just a bunch of space to put all the blocks you need

Bhodi posted:

I couldn't get the presets to accept the filler items or any of the presets. Maybe crafting flowers and other 1->X items are basically the only useful thing? The flowery non-specific documentation that botania loves is useless. I'll try it out tonight.

:confused:

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

basically i am a huge botania apologist because my favorite thing in minecraft is vanilla redstone and most of botania's gimmick is that all the tools it gives you couple really well with vanilla redstone

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
I love Botania because rube goldberg machines are really cool and it's basically the rube goldberg plant machines mod, but crafty crates are stupid as hell

also you're an insane person for liking vanilla redstone :colbert:

E: Yeah I'm like 99% sure that Vazkii sat down and said "okay how can you do crafting without a gui" and the crafty crate is the abomination that came out. Crafty crates are more about not having guis than about actually doing cool things. Sacrificing "is this cool and/or fun" for "does this fit MUH VISION" is awful

Magres fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Oct 14, 2015

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Glory of Arioch posted:

anyways the trick to the crafty crate for crafting anything more complex than that is to use analog redstone and the corporea network

the crafty crate outputs a redstone signal with a strength equal to the number of items currently in the crate

anyways here's a way to craft basically anything

http://gfycat.com/NippyLividBoilweevil

and here is the circuitry, the hardest part is snaking an analog signal upwards without losing any signal strength but strongly powered blocks win the day

Huh. I'd not have figured that out on myself because I hate vanilla redstone almost as much as I hate mining (why do I even play this game) but I can see that's decently useful. Still really awkward compared to the one-block crafting solutions of other mods but I can see that being usable for botania-only challenges.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Magres posted:

E: Yeah I'm like 99% sure that Vazkii sat down and said "okay how can you do crafting without a gui" and the crafty crate is the abomination that came out. Crafty crates are more about not having guis than about actually doing cool things. Sacrificing "is this cool and/or fun" for "does this fit MUH VISION" is awful

i mean it's not like there's a lot of room for innovating in the realm of "automatically crafts a thing" when AE exists

some of the botania stuff is there so botania can exist without any other mods, and the crafty crate is one of them

not everything in a single mod has to measure up against all other mods, especially in a mod that is as insular as botania is

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Glory of Arioch posted:

i mean it's not like there's a lot of room for innovating in the realm of "automatically crafts a thing" when AE exists

some of the botania stuff is there so botania can exist without any other mods, and the crafty crate is one of them

not everything in a single mod has to measure up against all other mods, especially in a mod that is as insular as botania is

There are other mods that do auto-crafting on a smaller scale than AE and are slower/worse to use than AE without it being as bad as the crafty crate. Iirc, buildcraft had some block that you could feed items into and if it got the right items for the recipe you built in its crafting grid GUI, it would spit out the product, I used like half a dozen of them and a bunch of igneous extruders to make a big setup at one point that made quadruple compressed cobble. Needing a ~30 block structure to autocraft one single item is dumb. There's a middle ground between AE and the crafty crate and it's basically the Cyclic Assembler.

Magres fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Oct 14, 2015

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Magres posted:

There are other mods that do auto-crafting on a smaller, shittier scale than AE without it being as bad as the crafty crate.

then use them?

the crafty crate can exist and be inferior to other options, it's okay :yaycloud:

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Yeah honestly I feel like there's room for a 'better' crafting table that's somewhere between what we have now and AE.

I'd really like to be able to store/search recipes by name click to fill using items from all adjacent chests using oredict, and have a 'craft unless >=X are adjacent. I liked the buildcraft block, that was very useful, I used it for cobblestone in skyfall just like you did. Also autocrafting all dependencies if avail would be great, too.

Basically, I want to streamline the current "Open crafting table, search for item in nei, click, shift-click the ?, replace any items that didn't dictionary correctly, take completed item". If I've crafted something once, I don't want to have to go through those steps again and again.

I built the preset but I couldn't figure out how to load it into the crafty crate. Clicking did nothing.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Bhodi posted:

Yeah honestly I feel like there's room for a 'better' crafting table that's somewhere between what we have now and AE.

I'd really like to be able to store/search recipes by name click to fill using items from all adjacent chests using oredict, and have a 'craft unless >=X are adjacent. I liked the buildcraft block, that was very useful, I used it for cobblestone in skyfall just like you did. Also autocrafting all dependencies if avail would be great, too.

Basically, I want to streamline the current "Open crafting table, search for item in nei, click, shift-click the ?, replace any items that didn't dictionary correctly, take completed item". If I've crafted something once, I don't want to have to go through those steps again and again.

I built the preset but I couldn't figure out how to load it into the crafty crate. Clicking did nothing.

clicking the crafty crate with pattern doesn't consume it but the crate's texture should change

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Bhodi posted:

What do you mean by "flower creators"?

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Basically this. Crafty crates are kind of a pain for most recipes, but if you want to craft single items, 2x2 items, or stuff like the compressed cobble recipes (aka 3x3), then crafty crates are great because they work as fast as you can pump things into them. Set the exact recipe type using the crafting patterns like in the gif (just right-click the crafting pattern on the crafty crate) and start pumping in stuff and you're golden.

I'm using it for auto-producing compressed cobble and stone bricks right now in the world I'm playing in (no AE2, no Thermal Expansion, so my auto-crafting options are basically the crafty crate or the Automagy golem workbench.)

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

McFrugal posted:

What do you mean by "flower creators"?
Bonemeal for botania. I forget what they are called, but they're green bonemeal. I had just got 1/4th the yield I should have because I only dropped them on a single dirt block, thinking they were like bonemeal. (Floral Fertilizer)

TY for this! Maybe something was wrong with my crate, because when I clicked it nothing happened, maybe I was using the spacer items? Anyway I dunno, it's clear enough once you understand how to use it.

Animated gifs are SO underrated as instruction manuals. Replace all youtube "personalities" with 2 second gifs, TIA

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Oct 15, 2015

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Bhodi posted:

Bonemeal for botania. I forget what they are called, but they're green bonemeal.

Floral Fertalizer

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Playing botania, and I have a problem with my baubles. The baubles slots are filled with bibliocraft items, and if I try to remove them it crashes my game. I guess it may have happened in the update. Any suggestions? I can't remember what I had in there but it was probably poo poo, so I'd be happy with just destroying them and getting the slots back now that I have Thaumcraft mostly done.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Wolfsbane posted:

Playing botania, and I have a problem with my baubles. The baubles slots are filled with bibliocraft items, and if I try to remove them it crashes my game. I guess it may have happened in the update. Any suggestions? I can't remember what I had in there but it was probably poo poo, so I'd be happy with just destroying them and getting the slots back now that I have Thaumcraft mostly done.

Sounds like ID's got messed up bad. You can delete your player file in save/worldname/playerdata but chances are the damage is more extensive.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

oh god :supaburn:

THE TREES ARE ANGRY WITH ME

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Glory of Arioch posted:

oh god :supaburn:

THE TREES ARE ANGRY WITH ME

REPENT, SINNER

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
"YOU HAVE BEEN A KNOTTY BOY. I'M GOING OUT ON A LIMB HERE THAT YOU'VE BEEN DOING SOME RATHER CUTTING REMARKS. WOOD YOU LIKE TO SEE WHY MY BARK IS WORSE THAN YOUR BITE?"

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

i was only cutting alder trees with a lumber axe over and over and over i dinnt do nuffin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

ents are the best and are why i will always love witchery

people ALWAYS freak the gently caress out and it will never get old