Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lord of the files
Sep 4, 2012

Shaggar posted:

how the hell do you lose money as a payment processor?

you can't, unless you are purchasing other services to use with your own or you sponsor a team or use the money recklessly. in the case of square, it’s a case of bad business practices. could someone explain to me how going public with this ipo while operating under losses will help? the public market is very adverse to companies operating while under loss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Nitrocat posted:

you can't, unless you are purchasing other services to use with your own or you sponsor a team or use the money recklessly. in the case of square, it’s a case of bad business practices. could someone explain to me how going public with this ipo while operating under losses will help? the public market is very adverse to companies operating while under loss.

tech bubble. square is a known brand and idiot assholes will throw money at it. they will then use that money to continue operating.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

duTrieux. posted:

tech bubble. square is a known brand and idiot assholes will throw money at it. they will then use that money to continue operating.

i thought that was more a private investment thing, though? my understanding was that tech companies only ipo to provide the private investors an easy profitable out before the company crashes and burns

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

it's still possible to manipulate the ipo such that the bag gets passed from the private investors to the public market

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

an ipo only lets the initial investors cash out if somebody else is willing to buy their stake

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

duTrieux. posted:

an ipo only lets the initial investors cash out if somebody else is willing to buy their stake

oh. gotcha

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I saw square terminals for sale at the checkout at Lowes.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

they were between the super glue and the flashlights that attach to your head

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

FCKGW posted:

those are both good products

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

like, you'll think that you'll never need to use the head flashlight thingy but one day when you're poking at a leaking water heater in the dark you'll be all 'yeah this was totes worth it'

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

FCKGW posted:

since when does lowes sell fleshlights

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

duTrieux. posted:

like, you'll think that you'll never need to use the head flashlight thingy but one day when you're poking at a leaking water heater in the dark you'll be all 'yeah this was totes worth it'

headlamps are handy for hiking / mountaineering

Space-Pope
Aug 13, 2003

by zen death robot

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

i scroll down the page, skimming the replies. pretty normal yosposting when suddenly, someone who is stupid and wrong! hm, they're not wrong about tech so it couldn't be shaggar... ah i know! my eyes flit to the left and yep, exactly who i thought it would be, ice rear end tongue guy.
he literally raped and murdered children. you can't be surprised that he acts like a psychopath

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
you'd think that a guy releasing a billion pages of government secrets would have found same saying "buy ads about how wifebeating is bad so we can jail libertarians" to back up his arguments

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

duTrieux. posted:

:agreed:

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

lol square

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
I love square and hope they live. I use them every day and they saved my rear end over and over. I wish the reports it generated were better for reconciling tho

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Compare square to the twin fd100's my work used to "lease" from the bank for 50 bucks/month. ROFL. loving criminals.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
once square is a public company, how long will it be before some other, more awful company acquires them?

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

how does one go about performing such a heist, hypothetically

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer
i'm honestly surprised square and stripe haven't merged somehow to try and avoid being another braintree.

square has some solid physical card processing poo poo going on with mediocre online poo poo, and stripe has a solid online game. it seems like a situation where i'd like two non-poo poo companies to team up and at least continue to be non-poo poo.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer
also square's emv hardware/software poo poo is seriously great for the money. they're boasting like <15s processing where your average poo poo verifone terminal is doing 45-60s per card read.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
yeah, the basic square service is honestly pretty great, lots of shops I go to use it including the coffee shop downstairs, and I've been following them ever since they rolled out since several friends were (very) early employees

then they went and did things like the Starbucks deal and canceling their IPO and, well, what the gently caress?

I was also bummed when they canceled Square Wallet, I used that all the time for food trucks and the downstairs coffee shop

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

ultramiraculous posted:

also square's emv hardware/software poo poo is seriously great for the money. they're boasting like <15s processing where your average poo poo verifone terminal is doing 45-60s per card read.

Square blows everyone else completely out of the water. Be it in transaction time, hardware/software, !merchant control panel, shipping orders, and fees. No contest. It's loving ridiculous.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

eschaton posted:

I was also bummed when they canceled Square Wallet, I used that all the time for food trucks and the downstairs coffee shop

I liked square Wallet too, but I feel like it was hamstrung by it needing a good GPS lock and a lot of devices back then had lovely GPS. Lead to bad qoe for a lot of users and merchants.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
one seller? how the gently caress does that happen? did they somehow have to pay a settlement to hem over something?

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

ultramiraculous posted:

wait, is that time the customer's just standing there waiting for their card to be accepted?

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

qntm posted:

wait, is that time the customer's just standing there waiting for their card to be accepted?

yes.

emv is going to be a fun clusterfuck as it rolls out because some terminals are awful at it.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
that's pretty common for small scale emv terminals. the one at my dentists office always takes at least a minute to process my card. but it's not like I go there every week. the ones at the supermarket take a couple seconds at most.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
that reminds me, isn't everyone supposed to get chipped cards by now

my credit union is being lazy it seems

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
I have a card through chase and the lazy fuvks are going chip+sig instead of chip+pin, good thing I'm a big fat goon and don't go abroad much or indeed at all

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

computer parts posted:

smaller banks are slow about it because it costs $10-20 to reissue each card and they don't face $10-20 per account of skimmed card fraud

retailers are grumpy and slow about switching because the new encrypted PAN fucks with their customer tracking and data mining systems, and because it is slow as balls compared to a swiped card. expect high value or common use locations for fake cards to switch first (Walmart has forced me to use my chip for months now).

the PAN thing is why Apple Pay has been so slow to launch despite nearly every new terminal having a nfc reader. the retailers demanded the next revision of the tokenization spec include a unique per account identification code though so retailers can track someone no matter which card or phone they use.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

computer parts posted:

they are supposed to start rolling it out this month. they have a year to do it.

havent heard a peep
May 29, 2003

When Steve Jobs died it wasn't the first job I'd lost that week.

Space-Pope posted:

he literally raped and murdered children. you can't be surprised that he acts like a psychopath

Sick of your repeated lies boo.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

computer parts posted:

got mine a week or two ago. i tried using the chip once but it wasnt active on the reader i tried, so.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
i use the gently caress out of square. i have people calling me weekly to switch to their equipment/system but no one can beat the 2.75% at my average transaction price. i had one place talking about zero processing fee and just 25 cents a transaction which would end up costing me over a nickel on average more per transaction. one guy was trying to sell me a tablet ecosystem that would need me to buy a $500 android tablet with a built in card reader so they could charge me more per swipe.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Oh, square actually separated out the starbucks transaction revenues and costs in their IPO filing

"Starbucks Transaction revenue" was 114 million in 2013, 123 million in 2014, and 63 million (up 6 million) in first half of 2015
"Starbucks transaction costs" were 140 million, 151 million, and 77 million over the same three periods.

It looks like they were only charging 80% of their transaction costs to Starbucks and eating the rest

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Phobeste posted:

I have a card through chase and the lazy fuvks are going chip+sig instead of chip+pin, good thing I'm a big fat goon and don't go abroad much or indeed at all

the loving wailing and gnashing of teeth if people were to need a pin for their credit cards would drown out all other noise in the us

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

theflyingexecutive posted:

the loving wailing and gnashing of teeth if people were to need a pin for their credit cards would drown out all other noise in the us

cuckbubble

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

ultramiraculous posted:

i'm honestly surprised square and stripe haven't merged somehow to try and avoid being another braintree.

square has some solid physical card processing poo poo going on with mediocre online poo poo, and stripe has a solid online game. it seems like a situation where i'd like two non-poo poo companies to team up and at least continue to be non-poo poo.

did something happen to braintree?

• Locked thread