Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

euphronius posted:

There is a work requirement for disability and Medicare.

Small potatoes. We clearly need a work requirement for Medicaid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

bencreateddisco posted:

Hillary clearly took this one though. I don't care what the polls, focus groups, Google trends, and fundraising numbers say.

There aren't any real polls yet, focus groups and Google trends are of questionable value, and even weird fringe candidates can money bomb large amounts. I actually do think Bernie did great in the debate and will see a boost, but there is no proof of that (yet) and there won't be for several days.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

tehllama posted:

Just at a glance the University System of Georgia enrolls ~318k students and the state has a population of ~10 million, while the University System of Florida has an enrollment of 302k and the state has a population of ~20 million. University of California + California State University has a combined enrollment of ~700k and their state population is ~39 million. It isn't so much that the public/private ratio varies significantly (though it may), its that the total university enrollment varies significantly. Florida looks like it has maybe another 110k in private schools, Georgia maybe 75k.

Yeah but that's probably including international or out of state students.

I'm unable to find out-of-state statistics, but for my university international students are ~10% of the student population. This will obviously be higher for states with low populations but high university populations (unless for some reason they had a major population boom 20 years ago).

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Small potatoes. We clearly need a work requirement for Medicaid.

Some poo poo states like Mississippi and Louisiana already do this.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Some poo poo states like Mississippi and Louisiana already do this.

What ? No! That's monstrous.

tehllama
Apr 30, 2009

Hook, swing.

computer parts posted:

Yeah but that's probably including international or out of state students.

I'm unable to find out-of-state statistics, but for my university international students are ~10% of the student population. This will obviously be higher for states with low populations but high university populations (unless for some reason they had a major population boom 20 years ago).

tehllama posted:

e: to be clear, both Florida and Georgia take about 90% of their public university students from in state, I believe by mandate but I can't find anything that explicitly states that

As far as I know that is true for most state university systems. The U cal system is about 85% in state.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
And Universities in Georgia keep getting more and more expensive.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

euphronius posted:

Think of it as an especially efficient way to trim the rolls.

Especially since Medicaid is the only way to pay for long term care!

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

euphronius posted:

Texas also has a threshold for Medicaid eligibility of 15% of the poverty line for non-children. So if you are a single person and make more than $1,765.50 a year, you are too rich for Medicaid.

Your kid can get covered though! You have to be literally homeless and penniless in order to get on Medicaid in Texas.

And they will never expand Medicaid. John Roberts is a literal monster.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Oct 15, 2015

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
The only caveat to that is that Medicaid for people who qualify for SSI or are recipients of SSI still receive Medicaid. I should really make a Underclass thread about Disability rights etc..

Also, there's a hilarious way to get Medicaid that I think still works. Basically if lived in a state that had a lower benefit thresh hold say like Texas but you receive Medicaid for a while in another state. When you move to a state that has a lower threshho you get it in the state you moved to. I think it's still set up that way.

Okay so where does this get weird?

Border Towns in Texas. Basically declare your residence in the state that has the better Medicaid requirements then when you get them declare for Texas.

Also previous to this there was a loophole for pre existing conditions under Cobra. So you could get Medicaid then go to a private insurance and they couldn't deny you because of pre existing conditions. I think they definitely closed that one a long time ago though.

Medicaid is loving weird and shouldn't exist. It should just be Medicare.

Medicaid in fact I think last time I was reading on it was pretty inefficient.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Oct 15, 2015

Fox Ironic
Jul 19, 2012

by exmarx

tehllama posted:

As far as I know that is true for most state university systems. The U cal system is about 85% in state.

University of Oregon, where I went for 2 years, has something like 50% out of state students.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

bencreateddisco posted:

Hillary clearly took this one though. I don't care what the polls, focus groups, Google trends, and fundraising numbers say.

The Sanders crowd on facebook is convinced that he totally won and will be the champion next year, but they always think that so

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Fox Ironic posted:

University of Oregon, where I went for 2 years, has something like 50% out of state students.

That does raise the question of where the in-state students are. If a disproportionate amount are in community colleges and the like (which is pretty likely since who would go out of state for a community college), then the funding required would be much less than a 4 year program.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Sir Tonk posted:

The Sanders crowd on facebook is convinced that he totally won and will be the champion next year, but they always think that so

Sanders fanfare on social media is like Ron Paul yard signs of years past.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

DemeaninDemon posted:

Sanders fanfare on social media is like Ron Paul yard signs of years past.

Is there an overlap between Bernie supporters and Ron Paul supporters or do I just have retarded friends?

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

Radish posted:

I am curious if anything will get the media to stop their "both sides just can't agree!" messaging. I guess we'll see when they try to shut down the government this time.

MSNBC seems to be getting more and more conservative anchors so I'm sure both they and Fox News will agree on who the party at fault is fairly soon. :v:

tehllama
Apr 30, 2009

Hook, swing.

Fox Ironic posted:

UO is not part of the University System of Oregon and as best I can tell is not overseen by a state board of governor's, so they may have more freedom than a large University System of <State>. At some point I think UC Berkeley (65% in state for undergrads) got told by the governor's office to cap their out of state students but I don't know if they actually did. All of the elite public schools get a lot more of their students from out of state as well and the difference is made up by the many smaller state schools that are basically 100% in state. Georgia Tech only pulls like 60% of its student body from in-state (69% for undergrad), same for U Mich.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

The Aardvark posted:

Is there an overlap between Bernie supporters and Ron Paul supporters or do I just have retarded friends?

I've noticed an overlap on my end, but again, not data and these are the kind of people who get their news entirely from Reddit.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

The Aardvark posted:

I imagine it's not uncommon. No true Randian superman is going to even glance at Bernie, but the more general platforms of both attract a lot of the same types. They're both out of step with mainstream Republicans and Democrats and both talk a lot about corruption and big money in politics.

Surface-level followers of politics would probably see them as cut from similar cloth, albeit with different takes on the hows and whys.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Hollismason posted:

Medicaid is loving weird and shouldn't exist. It should just be Medicare.

Medicaid in fact I think last time I was reading on it was pretty inefficient.

Medicaid is very efficient, especially for kids. Also there are a number of very necessary things that Medicare won't cover but Medicaid will -- long term health care, certain types of power wheelchairs, ABA therapy for kids with autism, etc.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Oct 15, 2015

Job Truniht
Nov 7, 2012

MY POSTS ARE REAL RETARDED, SIR

KiteAuraan posted:

I've noticed an overlap on my end, but again, not data and these are the kind of people who get their news entirely from Reddit.

I don't see how they could reconcile their differences in foreign and economic policies. Maybe there's a fringe element, but it's like saying libertarians and anarcho-communists get along.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Job Truniht posted:

I don't see how they could reconcile their differences in foreign and economic policies. Maybe there's a fringe element, but it's like saying libertarians and anarcho-communists get along.

Because they don't think about those things, they think about this outsider that's disrupting the system.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
Hillary supporters think Hillary won

Bernie supporters think Bernie won

big surprise

but i must make it an attack!!

Job Truniht
Nov 7, 2012

MY POSTS ARE REAL RETARDED, SIR

computer parts posted:

Because they don't think about those things, they think about this outsider that's disrupting the system.

I thought is what Trump was this time.

Sanders may not have been a Democrat for that long, but he knows and gets along with a bunch of them.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Lessail posted:

big surprise

They each "won" in that they each achieved their goals. Hillary wanted to keep her lead, not gently caress up, and put scandals to bed, and she did all of those things. So she's still "winning" in that sense. Bernie wanted to increase his visibility and get his name out and get people FIRED UP and he did that in a big way. So he "won" also.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I think we can all agree that Chafee lost, though. :buddy:

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

^^^^
:argh:

Lessail posted:

big surprise

I don't think anyone really "won" the debate. I just think that Chafee lost really loving hard and kinda feel bad for the old kook.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

They each "won" in that they each achieved their goals. Hillary wanted to keep her lead, not gently caress up, and put scandals to bed, and she did all of those things. So she's still "winning" in that sense. Bernie wanted to increase his visibility and get his name out and get people FIRED UP and he did that in a big way. So he "won" also.

I have to say this is probably the best post I've seen about the whole debate

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

zoux posted:

Bernie's campaign is reporting they raised $1.4m since the debate ended last night.

This is loving baller if true.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

hmm yeah but these bernie supporters on my facebook think he won and are a lil crazy about him. nothing like super serious politico insider junkie like me!

now let me tell you why any media that hints at hillary not winning just hates her and is out to get her for the horserace narrative

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

AlternateNu posted:

ya it's true and he snagged the coveted Hulk endorsement. Not jk :woop:

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

We'll have to see how the polls shake out, but I'm skeptical of the claim that Bernie increased his visibility in any significant way. He might have improved his favorability numbers, especially among Establishment Democrats for his defense of Clinton, but I didn't see anything in the debate that will expand his base much further. There was very little in the debate that suggests he will overcome his issues with minority voters and I don't see moderate Democrats flocking to him for any reason.

His fundraising might do some good for the campaign, though. Those are some very impressive numbers.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
http://www.npr.org/2015/10/14/448544926/texas-oklahoma-permit-companies-to-dump-worker-compensation-plans

"NPR article" posted:

"We can take care of injured workers more effectively, get them back to their families and their work as productive members of society [and] save incredible amounts of money that create new jobs," Minick adds.

The opt-out system saves employers 40 to 90 percent in claims costs, according to Minick.

"It's not about reducing benefits," he says. "We can objectively show you that we have saved our clients over a billion dollars against Texas workers' comp over the past decade. When you're saving that kind of money, you don't have to get hung up on squeezing the employee."

Welcome to America, how do you want to get hosed today?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Wellhe had a really good answer on literally the one black issues question(coincidentally asked by the one black anchor, with the one immigration question asked by the latino anchor and the one women's issue question asked by the woman anchor, wtg CNN) and a good answer for why he didn't support the earlier immigration reform in 2007 and is fully in favor of real reform.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Thump! posted:

^^^^
:argh:

I don't think anyone really "won" the debate. I just think that Chafee lost really loving hard and kinda feel bad for the old kook.

In the same vain so did Webb.

Webb was simply more confident in the nothingness and at times disturbing ideas his answers conveyed.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

AlternateNu posted:

It isn't

It got to 1.9 million by eob :getin:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Fried Chicken posted:

It isn't

Has the Clinton campaign released their figures yet?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Fried Chicken posted:

It isn't

Interesting money bomb, what is eob?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Nonsense posted:

Interesting money bomb, what is eob?

"End of Business"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Gravel Gravy posted:

In the same vain so did Webb.

Webb was simply more confident in the nothingness and at times disturbing ideas his answers conveyed.

I don't know, mentioning that he killed a guy might get him a bump in the polls.

Were he in the right debate, of course. Still not sure why he's a democrat.

• Locked thread