Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011
nice first attempt!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
Here's one from last month. The power went out so I drove down to the bay:

Moonlit Resurrection by Alexander Havens, on Flickr

And from last night, here are my first attempts at shooting auroras. It wasn't particularly strong, but it was clear. v:shobon:v

Ribbons in the Sky by Alexander Havens, on Flickr

Trail Lake Lights by Alexander Havens, on Flickr

Above the Divide by Alexander Havens, on Flickr

Twisting Lights by Alexander Havens, on Flickr

Expect more as we continue to descend into the darkness here in Alaska.

zeroprime
Mar 25, 2006

Words go here.

Fun Shoe

toggle posted:

Great shots mate!

Thanks. The best part is traveling to national parks to take them.

Alehkhs posted:

Twisting Lights by Alexander Havens, on Flickr

Expect more as we continue to descend into the darkness here in Alaska.

These are delightful. Try to frame it with a partial moon at your back and it will light up any snow/mountains you use to help frame your shot.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Another vacation, another hacky attempt to get the milky way and ocean together in the same shot

20150913-DSC_8555 by revbleech, on Flickr

20150914-DSC_8592 by revbleech, on Flickr

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

zeroprime posted:

These are delightful. Try to frame it with a partial moon at your back and it will light up any snow/mountains you use to help frame your shot.

Thanks! :kiddo:

The moon's currently pretty low on the horizon here, and it had set before the show really kicked off, so it wasn't around for me to use. Hopefully this winter will bring many clear nights. Once the snow is on everything I'm hoping the landscape will show a bit better.

brandino
Apr 15, 2002

I did a double exposure of myself and the Milky Way on a recent trip to Death Valley. It's beautiful out there!

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
That rules.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

brandino posted:

I did a double exposure of myself and the Milky Way on a recent trip to Death Valley. It's beautiful out there!

That looks like an album cover from the 70s. And yes, I mean that as a compliment.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah, I want to go buy a Bob Dylan album now :swoon:

Thorpe
Feb 14, 2007

RELEASE THE KITTIES
Took a few photos of the super blood moon that was going on in the area. I really need a better tripod than the $20 amazon special.

Thorpe fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Sep 28, 2015

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?
Nice. I just got back from cycling around for an hour. Thick clouds, no wind. Not even a glimpse. :(

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
I too shot the Moon.

2015-221 by Tom Rintjema, on Flickr

2015-223 by Tom Rintjema, on Flickr

2015-224 by Tom Rintjema, on Flickr

2015-225 by Tom Rintjema, on Flickr

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS

Thorpe posted:

Took a few photos of the super blood moon that was going on in the area. I really need a better tripod than the $20 amazon special.

No. You need a faster shutter speed and higher ISO. The moon moves really fast.

Soopafly
Mar 27, 2009

I have a peanut allergy.
I too shot the moon.

zeroprime
Mar 25, 2006

Words go here.

Fun Shoe
Nice pics. Cool to see it change color like that.

Friggen stupid clouds here...

oldmandon
Feb 10, 2004

OMG! It's OMD!
We're posting the butt moon? Cool.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

cool moons

Venusian Weasel
Nov 18, 2011

I took a couple of widefield shots:

Lunar Eclipse Widefield by Justin Cowart, on Flickr

Lunar Eclipse Widefield by Justin Cowart, on Flickr

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
Safe in the Harbor (Ometepe Island, Nicaragua) by Esa Foto, on Flickr

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Pukestain Pal posted:

No. You need a faster shutter speed and higher ISO. The moon moves really fast.

I have an old pair of celestron 20x80 binoculars (~20x) and set them up one night trying to take a picture using my 2004 era consumer grade 4x digital camera and by the time I got the binoculars moved with the moon in frame, camera turned on and looking through the eye piece, the moon had moved half out of frame. This was the best photo I got after about an hour of flailing about

The moon will completely move through your field of view in about 35 seconds at 20x zoom, give or take. Moon moves crazy fast.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

About 1 kilometer a second, even. Which is 2200 miles an hour.

Vroom!

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001
My (lovely) composite - I don't have anything interesting around here to set the moon against , just condos and trees, so I went for "all out focal length" and slapped stacked teleconverters on my 100-400mk2.

So this is 6D, 1120mm, f/22 - This was pretty easy exposure wise for the bright moon shots (1/20, ISO 100) but rough as hell on the dark red (.8-1.6 sec, 3200-6400)

Edit: I told my wife we should buy an 800/5.6 before the next one in 2033. She did not agree with the basic gist of that plan.

timrenzi574 fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Sep 29, 2015

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
Just put a few bucks away every week and by then you should have enough money for one.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

TomR posted:

Just put a few bucks away every week and by then you should have enough money for one.

Yeah, something like 15 bucks a week would do it. Will never happen though , I have 2 little kids. That money would end up going elsewhere at some point

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Wouldn't it make more sense to buy a telescope and mount your camera to that anyways?

Telescopes can certainly be expensive but the ratio of dollar to focal length is more favorable.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

xzzy posted:

Wouldn't it make more sense to buy a telescope and mount your camera to that anyways?

Telescopes can certainly be expensive but the ratio of dollar to focal length is more favorable.

I was mostly joking - I wanted to see my wifes reaction when I told her we could buy a 13,000$ lens

Jimlad
Jan 8, 2005
Moon!

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Are we still posting lunar eclipse photos!?

That second photo was an accident. I put the camera on auto, but didn't realize it would choose a 2.5 second shutter speed. It's not at all crisp, but I like the result, as it shows my setup: both pictures were taken handheld by pointing the camera into the eyepiece of a telescope. Are the rest of you using zoom lenses and tripods?

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
Moving on from moon photos.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Dread Head posted:

Moving on from moon photos.

How do you keep everything in focus at f/4.0? My own attempt was hampered a bit by wind, but I still think that the tent is badly out of focus:

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

DorianGravy posted:

How do you keep everything in focus at f/4.0?
The DOF at 16mm is pretty wide even at F/4

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Saint Fu posted:

The DOF at 16mm is pretty wide even at F/4

This, and I focused on the tent, ideally it would have been f8 or more but needed more light.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

DorianGravy posted:

How do you keep everything in focus at f/4.0? My own attempt was hampered a bit by wind, but I still think that the tent is badly out of focus:

if it was windy, it's probably just the movement of the tent and not focusing.

Also, as mentioned, f/4 at 16mm is really a large DOF.

Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011
nice 1 dread. Looks a lot like a spot in Sombrio that I camped at over the summer.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...
A couple long exposures from my trip to BC last week:

At sunrise in Sidney BC by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

Great Blue Heron in the fog by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

neckbeard posted:

A couple long exposures from my trip to BC last week:

At sunrise in Sidney BC by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

I'm curious how it'd look without that building on the left.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Luckily you can emulate that by putting your hand on the screen

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

And get fingerprints on my top of the line 4k monitor? How dare you make that suggestion sir.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Skizzzer posted:

nice 1 dread. Looks a lot like a spot in Sombrio that I camped at over the summer.

Was on the island but up in the mountains in Strathcona.

One more from the same night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The Locator posted:

Not sure what really counts as a 'long' exposure, but I tried a few shots from my hotel balcony on a recent trip to San Diego.

This is the only one that came out even reasonably decent, since I have no idea what I'm doing and this was my first ever try at night exposures.

5 seconds at f/13, 45mm with the kit 18-55mm on a Nikon D3300.

I got similar (probably worse) results from my hotel room in Dubai on Monday and I'm a bit pissed at myself. I was using a gorilla pod which isn't ideal but is the only thing small enough I could pack into carry on. Even at 5-10 seconds everything just came out blurry, and I feel like I wasted a really good opportunity.

I'm lucky in that I got photos I really liked during the day, but a few good nighttime shots would've been the icing. I think this is my favourite thread, and I've totally cribbed on the posters who go out and shoot what some people think are mundane buildings at night. That is totally my poo poo, and the attempts I've done that came out alright got some praise on Facebook (which we all know is the only thing that truly matters). So keep doing that stuff, because as a to-be-UK-to-US transplant I still dig seeing odd looking Subway franchises in small town America.