Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
is there an image viewer/organizer for macs that just lets you browse the filesystem and flip through images, and doesn't insist that you import images into its own stupid storage system?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.

prefect posted:

is there an image viewer/organizer for macs that just lets you browse the filesystem and flip through images, and doesn't insist that you import images into its own stupid storage system?

xee3? it's on my wife's mac and i think it works like that

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Heresiarch posted:

xee3? it's on my wife's mac and i think it works like that

thank you. if it works as advertised, i will not feel bad paying four bucks for that :tipshat:

edit: it looks like a winner. thanks again

prefect fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Oct 15, 2015

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

echinopsis posted:

i heard if you used different channels it was fine

also wahts this "extreme pain" anyway

its teh sort of thing that will work just enough of the time to drive you (further) insane

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

the gom jabbar is a dangerous thing

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

because if you have to go outside your subnet you're no longer dealing with just arp and that's piss on a physically connected local network

echinopsis posted:

by default the master is .20.1 and the slave .2.1

hmm, off the top of my head that should route unless it's refusing to shove packets back down the same port it received them on but just set the master and slave to the same subnet (.20.1 and .20.250) anyways

bobbilljim posted:

you're going to cause yourself extreme pain by having them the same name

same name different non-overlapping channel is standard practice

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Shaggar posted:

use a masonry drill

hilti freakin' owns

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

I'm in the process of trying to convert some old as poo poo HVD scsi-1 bridges that interface on to a 10mbit token ring network running a proprietary protocol using some amalgamation of LVD to iSCSI bridge with a LVD to HVD adapter sandwiched on the front end so I can replace the servers running this huge pile of poo poo with something on a vcenter HA cluster and I don't really need any help because the whole thing is helpless but let this be a cautionary tale to all you children to stay the gently caress away from the industrial controls sector

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
nice

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

The alternate "upgrade" path that vendors keep suggesting is that instead of using the 40mbit scsi interface I instead use the alternate 19.2k (not 192, 19.2) serial interface and slap an IP bridge on that and they swear up and down it will perform fine but gently caress you I can do basic math, you're on a 10mbit backhaul and this thing can easily burst up to 5mbit when something bad happens and I'm not losing data for your sale

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

I'm in the process of trying to convert some old as poo poo HVD scsi-1 bridges that interface on to a 10mbit token ring network running a proprietary protocol using some amalgamation of LVD to iSCSI bridge with a LVD to HVD adapter sandwiched on the front end so I can replace the servers running this huge pile of poo poo with something on a vcenter HA cluster and I don't really need any help because the whole thing is helpless but let this be a cautionary tale to all you children to stay the gently caress away from the industrial controls sector

:magical: this sort of poo poo is both fascinating and absolutely horrifying

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.

SO DEMANDING posted:

:magical: this sort of poo poo is both fascinating and absolutely horrifying

tech version of those emergency room/emt/elder care story threads

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

The alternate "upgrade" path that vendors keep suggesting is that instead of using the 40mbit scsi interface I instead use the alternate 19.2k (not 192, 19.2) serial interface and slap an IP bridge on that and they swear up and down it will perform fine but gently caress you I can do basic math, you're on a 10mbit backhaul and this thing can easily burst up to 5mbit when something bad happens and I'm not losing data for your sale

control systems are sooo cool but i can not begin to imagine the horrors of doing anything other than greenfield projects in that sector

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

:munch:

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
i hate linux
how do u free up space in /boot? whenever i try to purge some packages, apt get complains about not having enough space to install new poo poo. im trying to delete things!!!! i dont have time for this stupid linuxing poo poo

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

obstipator posted:

i hate linux
how do u free up space in /boot? whenever i try to purge some packages, apt get complains about not having enough space to install new poo poo. im trying to delete things!!!! i dont have time for this stupid linuxing poo poo
make the partition larger
remove old kernels
compile your own kernel to remove unnecessary stuff

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

obstipator posted:

i hate linux

i remember on ubuntu it would leave the kernels in /boot/ and fill up the partition. had to manually go in and delete some of the older ones and then remove the packages.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

anthonypants posted:

make the partition larger
remove old kernels
compile your own kernel to remove unnecessary stuff

also you can just get an usb key or other external drive and mount it where you need more space

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

apt-get autoremove

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

spankmeister posted:

apt-get autoremove

this doesnt always work

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

no but usually

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

it's worth a shot at least and if it works it's a drat sight better than the solutions posted so far

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

suggest me lightweight mail client for wandows, preferably not thunderbird

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

kalstrams posted:

windows live mail

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

anthonypants posted:

windows live mail
uhhh, maybe something not microsoft made either

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

kalstrams posted:

uhhh, maybe something not microsoft made either
cygwin comes with pine, right?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

anthonypants posted:

cygwin comes with pine, right?
now you are being just mean :(

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

kalstrams posted:

fastmail web interface, op

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

kalstrams posted:

now you are being just mean :(
you're the one who wants a bad windows mail client

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

i don't want to consolidate 3 webmails into one, and i can't run a browser at all times due to performance issues

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!
i use thunderbird and it's fine, op

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

i use thunderbird and it's fine, op
ill give kit another spin i guess. i tried it twice and both times something felt off

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

kalstrams posted:

and i can't run a browser at all times due to performance issues

what the gently caress sort of poverty-tier computer are you using?

thunderbird unfortunately is probably the best bet, there seems to be very little demand for desktop email clients. it's janky as hell for calendaring and nearly useless for contact sync, though. i've found its handling of gmail accounts to be weird at best, but admittedly at least half of that is on google for how they implement poo poo

maybe check out eM client or postbox (i think this one's based off thunderbird)

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

SO DEMANDING posted:

it's janky as hell for calendaring

nearly useless for contact sync

its handling of gmail accounts to be weird at best

oh yeah i don't use any of these things

but it's very needs suiting for plain email through fastmail, the best mail provider

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

ive used postbox, it was definition of janky
i have year old budget tier acer laptop with poo poo cpu so my bideo james insist on closing browser
calendars contacts etcetera are irrelevant, i just want reliable notifications for incoming mail

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Oct 20, 2015

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Thunderbird is ok, ive used it forever. lately ive just been using my phone for everything tho

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Panty Saluter posted:

Thunderbird is ok, ive used it forever. lately ive just been using my phone for everything tho

same and sameity

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

i'll thunderbird myself in the evening. the phone is generally fine but i sometimes miss the notifications, or the fact that battery's out

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

anthonypants posted:

windows live mail

this or the mail app in win 8.1/10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
has recaptcha gotten way harder recently or is it just me? it keeps telling me to select street signs/street name signs and only allowing me past after i solve 2-3 successfully. also repeatedly giving me image sets which do not include sufficient correct options for me to pass the test