Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Garfu posted:

Just bought StarDrive 2 while it was 50%. Even after all the bad reviews I'm a sucker for MOO2 clones so I gave it a try. It's loving terrible. There's a ton I could say about it, but the one thing that stands out is the combat. It felt like a 5th grader designed and implemented it compared to Starsector's combat.

If they had just cribbed EVERYTHING from MOO2 including the combat instead of just cribbing everything BUT the combat... it could have been a good game.

Did you get a refund? Dude doesn't deserve your money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.

oohhboy posted:

Did you get a refund? Dude doesn't deserve your money.

I've played 2.6 hours, but I'll give it a shot anyway

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
Is this game still in alpha?

I bought it like 2 or 3 years ago. This is star citizen levels of incompetence.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Bedshaped posted:

:nyd:

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Yeah, Star Citizen deserves a lot but not THAT.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Star Citizen wishes it was this "Incompetent".

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

In starsector you can actually fly your spaceship jpegs.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Bedshaped posted:

lmao

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

Bedshaped posted:

This is Star Citizen levels of hyperbole.

OwlFancier posted:

In starsector you can actually fly your spaceship jpegs.

They're PNGs. :colbert:

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011

Bleremiah posted:

Suddenly realised I could put a reaper into each of the front small universal slots, and fire 6 reapers at once. Let's.

I remembered to try this earlier today. About as dumb as you'd think.

Taking on an onslaught frontally with 2 volleys of 6 reapers was kinda funny. Lasts all of five seconds.

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

ErKeL posted:

Seriously cannot wait for this next patch. It's going to be insane.

Whats in it? Haven't played the game for a while.

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

kikkelivelho posted:

http://fractalsoftworks.com/2015/10/02/expanded-battles/

You can join ongoing battles.

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

kikkelivelho posted:

Some fairly big changes to give the campaign map more substance.
This is what's been talked about on the blog:

- Combat Officers you can hire which have the same skills the player does and can improve one ship. They'll gain experience and levelup.
- Stealth and sensor systems. You can ambush fleets or get ambushed yourself. Not being detected also makes you a better smuggler.
- Active abilities you can use to give you more speed/sensors/stealth, with some cost.
- Space terrain with effects more interesting than "you go slower near planets". Also different terrain in hyperspace, possibly moving storms of some kind.

Plus the super cool new thing that's already been mentioned:
- Battles on the campaign map will no longer be resolved instantaneously, and you can join in on an existing battle as well as have friendly / enemy reinforcements join battles you're in.

cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

this game is great so far

but man the AI is woefully inept when it comes to driving my Onslaught sometimes

-they'll happily drift away while the opposing capital is overloaded, rather than moving in to seal the deal
-sometimes when they do actually move in, they wait too drat long and end up burn driving into a fresh shield
-they have terrible shield management when sliding out of range, so their flux management suffers terribly
-they do not utilize any of the extra range provided by various sources (aside from guns set to autofire)
-I had to use all 5 firing groups with a strange layout just to help its bad flux management
-stupid use of rockets in general, pointlessly throwing them up against a shield

aside from those annoyances, which aren't too important when your opponent suffers from the same problem I guess, the AI is pretty impressive

some of these issues can probably be fixed (using range bonuses, better shield/flux management) so hopefully he's still up for tweaking it

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

You're probably better off removing shields from tanky low tech ships you're giving the AI and piling on more armor. The shields are usual garbage on top of the relatively poor flux handling those ships have.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The AI is well above other games of this type, ie, fly at player, shoot until someone is dead, maybe dance a little during. It knows to run when outmatched, knows holding objectives is important, it knows what type of ship to send against which or at least it doesn't send idiot combinations like bombers after fighters. It's shield management is good if it wasn't playing cunning humans who can exploit its predictable behaviour or if it understood some shields have terrible flux costs. Onslaughts are a big offender for the last thing and the loadout they come with generate mad amount of flux in a very short time with inadequate vent rate or flux pool.

One pet peeve with the AI I have is to do with heavy bombers not launching even when they have a clean shot because the angle was a little off. They just fly over/under the ship with torps attached when they have a point blank shot. The flip side is I have seen them launch too early and off by 45 degrees, but that only really happens when a cruiser is manoeuvring or a cap ship hits it's burn drive.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

dis astranagant posted:

You're probably better off removing shields from tanky low tech ships you're giving the AI and piling on more armor. The shields are usual garbage on top of the relatively poor flux handling those ships have.

There is kind of a flaw in the AI in that it tends to favor overly passive, standoffish play. There's a very good reason for this, since a miscalculated act of aggression can easily cost you a ship and it would be incredibly frustrating for the player to be constantly losing hulls to dumb mistakes by AI pilots they had no direct control over, but the low tech ships often don't perform effectively with this style of flying. Their flux stats are too low to win a battle of shield endurance and they don't generally have the mobility to seize opportunities or disengage and cool off the way a high tech ship can. Quite often, a ship like the Enforcer needs to go balls out and just throw itself into the enemy's face letting their armor tank through a single decisive action, but the AI almost never does this deliberately for reasons already mentioned above since an unwise commitment is suicide. Instead, they sit back with shields up like they're an Apogee and let themselves get slowly capped out and poked to death.

cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

maybe there will be some per-ship behavior setting in the future, so you can set certain ships to be more in-your-face aggressive, especially when that ship holds a significant flux/weapon advantage

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

cl_gibcount 9999 posted:

maybe there will be some per-ship behavior setting in the future, so you can set certain ships to be more in-your-face aggressive, especially when that ship holds a significant flux/weapon advantage
Officers are supposed to help with that as they have personalities that influence combat style.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

The by far best part of the AI in this game is how it manages shields, spreads damage on armor and dodges incoming fire. It's always amazing to see a Hound dance between heavy HE shots while evading LRMs. And I love when an AI buddy randomly takes that perfect torpedo shot or does something unexpected and cool.

And yeah in the future you can use Officers to manipulate ship behavior. For instance you could use a Buffalo II with a Cautious officer so that it doesn't get surrounded and blown up as easily, or you could set your officer in a tricked-out Medusa with AM Blasters to Aggressive and follow it around and blow things up. I also know Alex has improved AI across the board for the upcoming patch, regarding stuff like frigates being aware of how they move respective to your fleet, using HE missiles more intelligently, not reacting perfectly to Sabot SRMs, etc.

That will also make enemy ships much more unpredictable, imagine that you're about to blow up an Enforcer and instead of backing off and rotating to spread armor damage, it burn drives directly towards you while making GBS threads its entire payload of missiles. A lot of how I play this game is based on reading the fairly predictable AI so I'm looking forward to being surprised.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Oct 14, 2015

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND posted:

imagine that you're about to blow up an Enforcer and instead of backing off and rotating to spread armor damage, it burn drives directly towards you while making GBS threads its entire payload of missiles. A lot of how I play this game is based on reading the fairly predictable AI so I'm looking forward to being surprised.

I have died to more than one buffalo II because of its nice habit of orgasming missiles out of every orifice just before it dies.

cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

that actually sounds fantastic, can't wait for this next patch

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

OwlFancier posted:

I have died to more than one buffalo II because of its nice habit of orgasming missiles out of every orifice just before it dies.

Freaking Salamander missiles regenerating now. :argh:

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

I always forget how much firepower they actually have hidden up their sleeve and this catches me off-guard every time.

Really love the the effort he's put into the AI, and the improvements and officers next patch should just make it better.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

That will also make enemy ships much more unpredictable, imagine that you're about to blow up an Enforcer and instead of backing off and rotating to spread armor damage, it burn drives directly towards you while making GBS threads its entire payload of missiles. A lot of how I play this game is based on reading the fairly predictable AI so I'm looking forward to being surprised.

Knowing how the AI will react is 90% of the gameplay for me, especially with the early game where you need them to do something dumb and predictable to actually get a kill. It does make me happy to see a ship eat a HE missile to the hull instead of overloading it on the shields though. They know how fast you die when you get overloaded well enough.

But yeah. I'd love to have a challenge with the AI other than just, well, being horribly out-gunned. And having my allies be more aggressive and press the advantage would be something I'd appreciate on my side too. Too often, when an enemy ship is overloaded, does my allies back off and approach cautiously, like it'd bite them.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
God I did all the tutorials but I can't figure out how to pull up the orders screen in the game, I press G and nothing happens. Can't call my AI ships to retreat. Any tips?

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

Reason posted:

God I did all the tutorials but I can't figure out how to pull up the orders screen in the game, I press G and nothing happens. Can't call my AI ships to retreat. Any tips?

Tab? G is the reinforcement menu, right?

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Ive been following this thread for about 2 years now, and I think I'll finally take the plunge with this next patch.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Megasabin posted:

Ive been following this thread for about 2 years now, and I think I'll finally take the plunge with this next patch.

one of us one of us

feedtheid
Oct 17, 2006

we get it, you're too busy fellating Gabe to put yourself into someone else's shoes

Artificer posted:

one of us one of us

gooble gobble gooble gobble

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Garfu posted:

Just bought StarDrive 2 while it was 50%. Even after all the bad reviews I'm a sucker for MOO2 clones so I gave it a try. It's loving terrible. There's a ton I could say about it, but the one thing that stands out is the combat. It felt like a 5th grader designed and implemented it compared to Starsector's combat.

If they had just cribbed EVERYTHING from MOO2 including the combat instead of just cribbing everything BUT the combat... it could have been a good game.

Given the guy got bored before finishing star drive 1 and then peonounced it done while it was missing features to work on star drive 2, it was a fair guess it was going to be rubbish.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

There's already a game that was going to be coming out and cribbing everything from MOO2. You can find a link to its miserable failure of a Kickstarter on the bottom banner occasionally. Apparently someone announced there were going to quit sitting on the MOO license the day their Kickstarter launched :laugh:

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Megasabin posted:

It ain't a bad decision. Even though updates can be glacially slow they're always substantial and real solid and the game is hella unique and fun even as it is.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

So is there a good guide on how to start out? I played this about a year and a half ago and I don't remember the beginning being so brutal. I've added a few factions to the game, but right now I'm just going after pirates scouts/transports and I just can't seem to get any traction.

Edit: Or rather is there an optimal start? I try to get the Wolf but it only has lovely beams that aren't too effective.

feedtheid
Oct 17, 2006

we get it, you're too busy fellating Gabe to put yourself into someone else's shoes
It's honestly the most difficult part of the game. You have to work on picking on 1-2 frigate convoys, and even then it might be a bit much unless they're hounds. Careful play will net you enough bounty money for a new frigate or two, and all of a sudden it's a whole new ball game.

Wolf and Lasher are both solid frigates, you just have to be extremely careful. Also play on full damage. 1/2 damage is awful and will teach you horrible habits.

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008

feedtheid posted:

Also play on full damage. 1/2 damage is awful and will teach you horrible habits.

Yes. Half damage seems like a crutch you'd want at first, but by the time you've got a fleet rolling it's not much of an advantage, since yours is the only ship that will benefit from it.

Also, it will give you an unrealistic set of expectations as to what your fleet ships are capable of, which can be deadly for your economic situation if not for you personally.

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

BadOptics posted:

I try to get the Wolf but it only has lovely beams that aren't too effective.

Wolves are awesome frigates and an AI pack of them will utterly crush anything up to cruiser level with ease.

If you're using the graviton beam, those are more for support and make for terrible primary weapons. If you can score a heavy blaster or pulse laser for the front and tactical lasers for the other mounts you'll do a lot more damage. Also Sabot/Harpoon missiles for the wings help put that little extra hurt on a weakened destroyer that your guns can't *quite* take out.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

The phase beam is a pretty solid primary weapon.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

Anticheese posted:

The phase beam is a pretty solid primary weapon.

It's deceptively good, tricky to use though unless you have some good backup with kinetic damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

It's deceptively good, tricky to use though unless you have some good backup with kinetic damage.

That's where Imperium-outfit wolves come in.