Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boogle
Sep 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

Brain In A Jar posted:

Looking for some advice on not getting my resume binned immediately.

I have a very unusual name, and I have a feeling it's causing a lot of my applications to get canned before people even read them. I've considered applying for jobs under my middle name, using it as an email address, in all my correspondence, etc. etc., but I'm worried that employers will see this as dishonest if I get to any official document stage and have to say "actually, my name is really ____".

As much as I got poo poo for it growing up (and still quite frequently as an adult) it's the name I was given and I'm used to it. It would feel weird throwing it away for the sake of career progression but at the same time I don't want to be stuck forever losing out on jobs just because of my name.

Anyone experienced this, or have any advice or tips in the area?

Institutional racism is alive and well. If you have a more "white" sounding middle name, use it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

princecoo
Sep 3, 2009
I applied for a Customer Service position a while back with the local council. $64k a year, great benefits, and in a role I'd absolutely crush in my sleep.
Got an interview, it was a panel type situation, which was new for me. Three people interviewing me at once - HR, the person who would be my direct line manager and her boss, I think.

Went in, and I'm still sure I nailed the interview; I have 3 degrees (Bachelors of Performance Dance - useless, but people seem to find it fun - Bachelors of Media Communications and a Bachelors in Business) lots of experience in management and supervisory roles, and I could answer all their questions without a single problem. They seemed impressed. I really thought I had it in the bag.

But no. I got the call a week later, and they said that while I was a strong candidate, and they would absolutely love for me to keep applying for other positions in the company (plus standard "we'll keep your rsume/detils on file etc etc), I was unsuccessful. I asked for some feedback and they said that I seemed nervous at first, which apparently means that I do not think quickly in high-speed situations. This was the only negative feedback I recieved. After a bunch of positives.

Am I alone in thinking this is a complete cop-out? I'll admit I was surprised by the panel - I hadn't had a heads up over that little surprise, but after the initial introductions and once over before the interview "proper", I was pretty okay with it. Like I said, I thought I nailed the interview.

If there was a better candidate, just tell me, don't feed me some bullshit line.

Anyway, I've kept up applying for anything they advertise that I think I have a shot at, and the only slight glimmer of hope was when a Grants Officer position opened up, I applied, but then the position description and salary changed, and I recieved an email urging me to re-apply. I did. That was 4 weeks ago, and I have not heard a peep since.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Brain In A Jar posted:

I have a very unusual name, and I have a feeling it's causing a lot of my applications to get canned before people even read them. I've considered applying for jobs under my middle name, using it as an email address, in all my correspondence, etc. etc., but I'm worried that employers will see this as dishonest if I get to any official document stage and have to say "actually, my name is really ____".

As much as I got poo poo for it growing up (and still quite frequently as an adult) it's the name I was given and I'm used to it. It would feel weird throwing it away for the sake of career progression but at the same time I don't want to be stuck forever losing out on jobs just because of my name.

If you're having problems getting to the interview stage, please post your resume here so we can figure out if there's some glaring red flag you might have missed. What is your first name?

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

Brain In A Jar posted:

I would absolutely use your middle name if you feel more comfortable and/or think it will give you a better chance. It might seem weird if you then ask people to call you by your first name, so I might start by having people call you your middle name when you get the job and slowly transition.

I'm totally curious what this "unusual name" is...

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

princecoo posted:

I applied for a Customer Service position a while back with the local council. $64k a year, great benefits, and in a role I'd absolutely crush in my sleep.
Got an interview, it was a panel type situation, which was new for me. Three people interviewing me at once - HR, the person who would be my direct line manager and her boss, I think.

Went in, and I'm still sure I nailed the interview; I have 3 degrees (Bachelors of Performance Dance - useless, but people seem to find it fun - Bachelors of Media Communications and a Bachelors in Business) lots of experience in management and supervisory roles, and I could answer all their questions without a single problem. They seemed impressed. I really thought I had it in the bag.

But no. I got the call a week later, and they said that while I was a strong candidate, and they would absolutely love for me to keep applying for other positions in the company (plus standard "we'll keep your rsume/detils on file etc etc), I was unsuccessful. I asked for some feedback and they said that I seemed nervous at first, which apparently means that I do not think quickly in high-speed situations. This was the only negative feedback I recieved. After a bunch of positives.

Am I alone in thinking this is a complete cop-out? I'll admit I was surprised by the panel - I hadn't had a heads up over that little surprise, but after the initial introductions and once over before the interview "proper", I was pretty okay with it. Like I said, I thought I nailed the interview.

If there was a better candidate, just tell me, don't feed me some bullshit line.

Anyway, I've kept up applying for anything they advertise that I think I have a shot at, and the only slight glimmer of hope was when a Grants Officer position opened up, I applied, but then the position description and salary changed, and I recieved an email urging me to re-apply. I did. That was 4 weeks ago, and I have not heard a peep since.

Why in God's name do you have three BAs?

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

UberChair posted:

I just got bitch-slapped by the long arm of corporate downsizing, and I'm in the market of looking for a new job, which means it's time to dust off the old resume. A few things: This was my first job out of college which I held for a solid 3 years of good performance before the layoffs hit, and my old boss has written me a personal letter of rec. With that in mind, what should I look to do on my resume? I realize the OP states to downplay academic achievement after the first few jobs, but I'm not sure if it's still fresh enough to really make a mark. Maybe just list the research projects I worked on and keep it short and simple? Should the letter and any other be attached to the resume/CV when I send it in? I'm a little rusty at all this. Thanks!

Depends on what types of position you're applying for and how much they emphasize academics. You're right in thinking that your most recent job is more important than your education if you're applying to similar positions. If you have relevant research projects that you worked on, then I think it's fine to list them. If they were part of a paid research position, however, I'd put that as employment history.

I personally get a bit annoyed when candidates send in materials that I didn't request and I don't review them as a rule. Part of the application process is your ability to sell yourself as a worthwhile candidate for this position in a limited amount of space. If you're adding extra stuff to the application that I didn't request, it shows to me that you're not willing to follow procedure and also are probably not confident in yourself. If they request references or recommendations, that's a different story. But I'd say no, don't send it in.

Not Grover posted:

I am applying for a program coordinator job at the college I graduated from 2 years ago. The position is mostly administrative in nature and has been vacant for about a year or so, and up until very recently it was only open to licensed veterinarians (program director). Now, they have opened it up to licensed vet techs (which I am) who would do essentially the same job with some differences as far as classes and things, who would be titled program coordinator. I have my application all put together and am getting my thoughts together in a cover letter. My:

I guess I'm looking for input or thoughts about applying for a job when you might be or feel minimally qualified. This is a job I would really love to have and do - I am very committed to student development and learning. Thoughts?

When I get applicants who are borderline qualified for a position, I personally like it when they're self-aware of that fact and bring it up in their cover letters. I'd much rather have someone who admits that they have some stuff to learn and they're willing to learn it rather than someone who exaggerates and lies about their experience to me. That being said, you don't want to come off as unqualified and just begging for a job either. It's a tough line to walk. From a hiring manager's perspective, you want to show that a) you're willing to learn things you don't know for the position and b) you won't be a burden while you're learning. Demonstrate through your resume and CV that you can work and learn independently. If the applicant pool isn't very competitive, I think you'd have a good shot.

Brain In A Jar posted:

Use your middle name if you're worried about your first. You can put your first initial in your resume if you feel really strongly about it like "S. Elizabeth Smith." Any company that makes a big stink about you using a different name on the job than the one you applied under is not one you want to work for anyway. I've seen plenty of applicants using maiden names, initials, etc.

princecoo posted:

They found someone better qualified/more charismatic than you (or a person who has some connection to the hiring committee) and they chose that person over you. They gave you a generic response because there really wasn't anything wrong with anything you said or did, just that the other person had something better than you.

princecoo
Sep 3, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Why in God's name do you have three BAs?

I think a better question would be "Why in Gods name do you have three BAs and still work in retail as a shitkicker at a large supermarket chain?"

Short answer is I did the Media Comm BA because while I was dancing I figured I'd lke to maybe be a journalist/writer of some kind as a backup career once my body couldnt' dance professionally anymore.

Then, when I couldn't get a job with it in the small town I'm in, and resorted to working in retail, I worked my way up to management and got interested in Business, so thought I'd do that too.

The Professional Dance degree is shady - I was young and very good at what I did, and essentially got given the BA with minimal effort because I'm pretty sure they were padding their resume by going "Hey look, this good dancer with this big company graduated from us! Aren't we great?". Catch was I had to do a bunch of performances with them for a couple of years, which was actually pretty good. I'm not especially proud of it, and of course I leave that part out.

And as for why I have a dead end job in a small town instead of say, moving to where I know better jobs exist, I'm stuck here. My wife is 9 months out of getting her Masters in Medical Science, and has a ludicrously good job in a Pathology Lab here - to the tune of $130k a year. We have 2 kids and at the moment, we both don't really want to uproot since we're on to a good thing on that end. Better jobs exist in her field, but they're in major cities (good) but they don't have on-call work (which is where the money is) and generally don't become available unless someone dies (because major city jobs are so coveted, people get them and then never ever move).

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one
Regarding the name situation: I have a last name that, when 90% of people hear it, look at me like I'm nuts and ask in complete sincerity if I am joking or not. Now you guys are making me nervous. What can you do about a weird last name?

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

AbrahamLincolnLog posted:

Regarding the name situation: I have a last name that, when 90% of people hear it, look at me like I'm nuts and ask in complete sincerity if I am joking or not. Now you guys are making me nervous. What can you do about a weird last name?

Can you guys please just say what these ridiculous names are so we can all peer over the top of our horn-rimmed glasses and pass judgement already?

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.

Okay I'm curious, what is your last name?

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE
I'm guessing Hitler.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one
I don't want to give it out for obvious reasons, but if you remove the apostrophe in it, it's a catchphrase from an older generation. Imagine something along the lines of "Coolio" or any equally dated catchy phrase. Most people immediately think I am loving with them when they hear it, I usually have to show people my ID before they believe me.

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

Yeah I'm also not really comfortable giving my name because it's really obviously identifiable. Sorry rubberneckers :(

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

I don't want to give it out for obvious reasons, but if you remove the apostrophe in it, it's a catchphrase from an older generation. Imagine something along the lines of "Coolio" or any equally dated catchy phrase. Most people immediately think I am loving with them when they hear it, I usually have to show people my ID before they believe me.

Your name is Mike Pancake, isn't it?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
that dudes name is certainly McLovin

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

I'm thinking it's either Trippin or Dontgothere

E: Talktothehand

Dark Helmut fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Oct 14, 2015

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

No no his last name is totally Frankiesaysrelax.

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

Vulture Culture posted:

If you're having problems getting to the interview stage, please post your resume here so we can figure out if there's some glaring red flag you might have missed. What is your first name?

I've put my resume up as a PDF here:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1vqsaG8CIGHeFZCaFgtWGE2T2s/view?usp=sharing

You'll note that my experience is all over the place from a bunch of contracting. To make the best of this, I always reorder and re-edit the education, experience, and skills sections to tailor to best fit the requirements of all the positions I apply for.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I took a job 3 months ago and in our company check-in meeting today, it was all but explicitly stated that my department is going to get the axe. What's the best way to explain this in interviews if I'm interviewing before that happens?

GobiasIndustries fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Oct 15, 2015

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up
"They are eliminating my entire depart due to x reasons"

There's no shame in that game. The more you can illustrate that others are affected and it's not just you being let go, the better but really just the above statement should suffice. If you really want to poop rainbows, follow it with a glass half full statement like "It sure is unexpected and a bit disappointing, but I'm just viewing this as an opportunity to find a better long-term fit"

stickykeys
Sep 9, 2015
I saw a website that says when you're asked "Tell me about yourself" you should spend 10 minutes running through what's on your CV, what you do in your job. But I spoke to someone who has experience with recruitment who says she doesn't like people who answer like that since it's already on the CV and talking about your job isn't telling people about yourself.

An answer she suggested was tiny compared to what I'd planned and started off talking about how many kids she had, where she used to live but then did move onto why she choose to move into her current career. The whole thing was probably 30-60 seconds, went into no detail at all about what was on her CV ... I suppose the intention was to show a bit of personality, give the interviewer the chance to ask her to expand

Is that a good way of answering that question?

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
Don't start off an interview by talking about your kids. That being said, you should definitely aim to build a personal connection with the interviewer where appropriate and try to find some shared interests or something.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
Never ever mention age, identifying gender, religion, political affiliation, home life, or anything else that might be used to discriminate against you in such a way that you could never possibly prove it.

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

stickykeys posted:

I saw a website that says when you're asked "Tell me about yourself" you should spend 10 minutes running through what's on your CV, what you do in your job. But I spoke to someone who has experience with recruitment who says she doesn't like people who answer like that since it's already on the CV and talking about your job isn't telling people about yourself.

An answer she suggested was tiny compared to what I'd planned and started off talking about how many kids she had, where she used to live but then did move onto why she choose to move into her current career. The whole thing was probably 30-60 seconds, went into no detail at all about what was on her CV ... I suppose the intention was to show a bit of personality, give the interviewer the chance to ask her to expand

No. "Tell me about yourself" is "Summarize your professional life in 2-3 minutes". It is not NOT NOT anything about your kids or where you live or your life's story. "How you got into this field" maaaay be relevant but I'd err on the side of only mentioning it in passing or if you have a documented extreme passion (e.g. "I won a national competition on Chocolate Teapot Manufacturing in High School and decided I would pursue this industry ever since".)

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
But I think in all of that, you should drop hints that suggest you will be able to stay at the company long term. Companies often flag things that suggest you will not be there long, like "Oh, I moved here with my husband and we're planning on starting a family soon" is a huge, huge red flag (even though it's complete bullshit but that's what happens). But if there are things that tie you to the area (e.g. family) then definitely mention that in passing, but don't make a big deal about it. You want them, if they're talking about you, to bring these points up as reasons you might stay a long time, rather than make it seem like you're trying to sell yourself.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

stickykeys posted:

Don't read your CV back to me. I hate that, and it makes me think you can't communicate.

A woman might mention her kids in the context of "I'm done having kids." It's a preemptive strike, of sorts. It's a good idea to try to get the interviewer to see you as a person and not a set of skills, though.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

I'm interviewing for an internal auditor job tomorrow (specifically IT Internal Audit). I've worked in IT the last 8 years. I have an MBA and a PMP. I feel mostly prepared for the interview, just asking if anyone has any insight on some oddball questions I may not have thought up or any other information on how to make myself stand out. I know the company (since I currently work for the company), I talked to the lady who's position is being filled since she took another position in the company as well for information and suggestions, I have some audit specific questions that I anticipate and have answers and examples for, as far as generic interview questions (handled conflict, accomplishments, weakness, etc). Just looking for any additional insight anyone may have.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008

sheri posted:

I'm interviewing for an internal auditor job tomorrow (specifically IT Internal Audit). I've worked in IT the last 8 years. I have an MBA and a PMP. I feel mostly prepared for the interview, just asking if anyone has any insight on some oddball questions I may not have thought up or any other information on how to make myself stand out. I know the company (since I currently work for the company), I talked to the lady who's position is being filled since she took another position in the company as well for information and suggestions, I have some audit specific questions that I anticipate and have answers and examples for, as far as generic interview questions (handled conflict, accomplishments, weakness, etc). Just looking for any additional insight anyone may have.

Go to glassdoor.com for your company and look at interview reviews to see if there's any common goofy questions, theyre almost always reused. Also Google the top most common interview questions and talk through them to yourself. Don't just think about what you'd say, literally say it out loud as if you're laptop just asked them to you.

Those two in combination should give you a decent preparation for both the common questions everyone asks as well as the goofy dumb questions that some companies love to ask.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

How important is resume organization?

Context: I'm the senior member of my team, and do the technical screenings for potential team members. I see resumes organized in a few different ways: a lengthy overview of skills and abilities at the very start before work history, skills and abilities listed with the corresponding job, or the more traditional skills and abilities listed in their own section.

Seeing all these different styles makes me paranoid that my style is not what people want these days.

My resume style:
Short summary of qualifications "a service engineer with 8 years of experience specializing in..."
Work history
Education
Certifications
Trainings
Technical skill list

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
I'm currently applying for a job in a small boutique consulting firm (they only have 2 reports on glassdoor, both pretty brief).

Already had an hour long interview with the team and another one that took almost 2.5 hours and involved me preparing a report and a presentation for the company's founder.

They've just invited me for the "final interview" next week. Am I correct in my assumption that it's probably going to be the one about the compensation?

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
It will probably include a discussion of compensation at the end, but at a consulting firm, don't treat it as a formality. There could easily be a few case interviews and some senior partners to impress. But at this point, they clearly like you so it might be your's to lose.

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

How important is resume organization?

Context: I'm the senior member of my team, and do the technical screenings for potential team members. I see resumes organized in a few different ways: a lengthy overview of skills and abilities at the very start before work history, skills and abilities listed with the corresponding job, or the more traditional skills and abilities listed in their own section.

Seeing all these different styles makes me paranoid that my style is not what people want these days.

My resume style:
Short summary of qualifications "a service engineer with 8 years of experience specializing in..."
Work history
Education
Certifications
Trainings
Technical skill list

You do the screening: what do you like better? :)

I like work history, skills/certifications, then education, but what I would say is it depends on where you are strongest. A recent grad should put education first unless they have really good experience. someone with a Harvard MBA might emphasize that before skills, and a very technically proficient person will want to highlight their technical skills.

But the key thing is a readable layout that lets people skim. It's one page, as long as it's easy to read and the resume is generally applicable for the position, the recruiter will see all the sections.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

Brain In A Jar posted:

I've put my resume up as a PDF here:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1vqsaG8CIGHeFZCaFgtWGE2T2s/view?usp=sharing

You'll note that my experience is all over the place from a bunch of contracting. To make the best of this, I always reorder and re-edit the education, experience, and skills sections to tailor to best fit the requirements of all the positions I apply for.

This isn't too bad. The only thing that drives my little anal-retentive brain crazy is that your indentations for your bullet points and the lines after bullet points are all over the place.

Also who the heck still uses Office XP? Why even refer to a specific version of Office?

Oh and structural is spelled wrong on the same line as "proofreading" :lol:

stickykeys posted:

If I ask you to tell me about yourself in an interview context and you spend 10 minutes talking about your kids and where you used to live, I won't even continue with the interview after that because I already know I don't want you anywhere near where I work. Thanks for coming by! We'll let you know when we make a decision (but it's already no)!

I think this question is stupid for an interviewer to ask in my field, but if I were to ask it, I would be asking it to gauge two things: 1) your ability to communicate and 2) how you think about yourself as a person. Warning signs would be too much/too little ego like I often hear people talking about internships as if they were this heroic lone figure who led the project to success, mumbling, disorganized responses (jumping forward and backward in time is common, rambling, incomplete sentences, etc.), or just saying something weird (like the aforementioned talking about kids).

Also if you spend 10 minutes answering it, you will have not gotten the job as by about minute 7 I will have stabbed myself in the jugular with my pen, ending my miserable existence. Spend 2-3 minutes on it tops. Maybe 5 if you've got extensive experience. It's an elevator speech not an opportunity to monologue.

Xandu posted:

Don't start off an interview by talking about your kids. That being said, you should definitely aim to build a personal connection with the interviewer where appropriate and try to find some shared interests or something.

But don't be weird about it. Chat with me about the weather for a few minutes or ask me how my weekend was or something, but I dislike candidates who treat me like we're insta-BFFs or something. It creeps me out.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.

stickykeys posted:

Some might find this to be bad advice (and I'd love to hear answers to the contrary, to be sure) but personally I'm just honest about my actual hobbies and poo poo. The tip here is to keep your answers short and interesting, I feel. Maybe others will disagree but that's always worked for me. Also, tell them things they might actually want to hear. Don't give TMI info.

Bad example:
"Well, I'm a huge nerd and it shows. I drink a ton of alcohol and spend all my free time on a forum I paid ten bucks to be on. I photoshop cats into japanese animes and post them on Imgur to try to earn the respect of anonymous internet users. I have a huge collection of violent video games. I have never dated a woman who wasn't fat and also several men. I drive an '80 Pinto; I once rear ended a nun. On most weekends I'm thinking about which member of Team Rocket is hotter and coming to the frightening realization it might be Meowth. I smoke three packs a day and mostly eat ramen noodles. I don't watch sports and I hate Family Guy."

Good example:
"In my off time I enjoy going to science fiction conventions and working on art. I'm also a gamer."

Give them a line like that and they'll be interested and want to hear more. Again, just keep your answers short and simple and it'll be fine.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

How would you go about putting on a whole bunch of unfinished projects/etc on a resume? I was laid off so I had a couple of large projects that never got finished because of that, and the rest were unfinished generally because of money issues. I never really 'finished' much and had very few continuous projects and I'm wondering how to word it? Is it something that you can mention on a resume?

I'm an Engineer for reference, and even though I worked in manufacturing I did very, very little production support and I was mostly in R&D. We only had 4 people in Engineering before the layoffs started, so it wasn't a large company at all.

Knight Corgi
Jan 5, 2014
To make it short: how to save your resume in an extremely selective industry when you have many work experiences that last only 6 months of it, for each of them?

Let's contextualize first:
So let's say you graduated from a leading business school. All of the internships were good. The got your first job, and you might know that this industry is tough as nails regarding your CV. It's almost like a single misstep is enough to single you out from this industry. You were treated like a God and your boss begged you for staying in his company. He promised you a rise and a promotion on the spot. But you're young and ambitious, you want to play it big.
What happened is, after the first job, which lasted only one year, you land on another job, in the same industry, but this time, it's your time to shine with your beautiful business cards. Yup, you're among the world's most powerful and selective companies. Congratulations. And not only you joined this company but before doing so, you had the choice between a shitload of them. Everybody wanted you. During the first few months, you had to travel in a foreign country, work with a foreign team, and at the end, you were praised for your job. However, you still didn't get to know your local team back home. And then, after the first few successful cases, this time, you work with your local team. Somehow, you are hated by your manager. While he was unfair in his review of your performance, you decided to leave and join the other company. You'd rather come off clean than to have a terrible reputation in your company.
You joined the other company that wanted you few months ago. However, the person who really wanted you had to leave few weeks later. You're all alone again. During the first few months, you were praised again. And then later on, your new manager hates you for personal reasons. More than before since you get officially fired, in a very unconventional manner. I will pass on the details on why and how you got fired but now you have nothing left, except your resume filled with 6 months jobs.

So now, how do you stay in the industry? I guess that everybody knows about it, I mean, it's more than suspicious of having two 6 months job on your resume. You're either not loyal or just terrible.

Thanks. It will be almost life saving if you have any tips.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Knight Corgi posted:

To make it short: how to save your resume in an extremely selective industry when you have many work experiences that last only 6 months of it, for each of them?

Let's contextualize first:
So let's say you graduated from a leading business school. All of the internships were good. The got your first job, and you might know that this industry is tough as nails regarding your CV. It's almost like a single misstep is enough to single you out from this industry. You were treated like a God and your boss begged you for staying in his company. He promised you a rise and a promotion on the spot. But you're young and ambitious, you want to play it big.
What happened is, after the first job, which lasted only one year, you land on another job, in the same industry, but this time, it's your time to shine with your beautiful business cards. Yup, you're among the world's most powerful and selective companies. Congratulations. And not only you joined this company but before doing so, you had the choice between a shitload of them. Everybody wanted you. During the first few months, you had to travel in a foreign country, work with a foreign team, and at the end, you were praised for your job. However, you still didn't get to know your local team back home. And then, after the first few successful cases, this time, you work with your local team. Somehow, you are hated by your manager. While he was unfair in his review of your performance, you decided to leave and join the other company. You'd rather come off clean than to have a terrible reputation in your company.
You joined the other company that wanted you few months ago. However, the person who really wanted you had to leave few weeks later. You're all alone again. During the first few months, you were praised again. And then later on, your new manager hates you for personal reasons. More than before since you get officially fired, in a very unconventional manner. I will pass on the details on why and how you got fired but now you have nothing left, except your resume filled with 6 months jobs.

So now, how do you stay in the industry? I guess that everybody knows about it, I mean, it's more than suspicious of having two 6 months job on your resume. You're either not loyal or just terrible.

Thanks. It will be almost life saving if you have any tips.
So let's say I hate you for having to have read that. You could sum up everything you wrote with, "I've changed jobs three times in the past year because my managers hate me." Also, why don't you post what industry you're in, because that matters a lot for what advice people have to off.

But, seriously, you're the reason that several 6-month stints are a red flag. You come across as needy and tough to get along with. And it sounds like you always have one foot out the door. Take a deep look at yourself and see if your behavior is the reason your managers always seem to hate you.

Knight Corgi
Jan 5, 2014

Dik Hz posted:

So let's say I hate you for having to have read that. You could sum up everything you wrote with, "I've changed jobs three times in the past year because my managers hate me." Also, why don't you post what industry you're in, because that matters a lot for what advice people have to off.

But, seriously, you're the reason that several 6-month stints are a red flag. You come across as needy and tough to get along with. And it sounds like you always have one foot out the door. Take a deep look at yourself and see if your behavior is the reason your managers always seem to hate you.

Yeah, it's indeed a bit long. But I thought that giving out details might put things out clearly, i.e. great reviews do exist and I have proof.
I edited out because rumors may spread, but screw it. It's management consulting. While I do understand that behavior is something to fix, right now I need to fix this unemployment situation asap. No idling allowed.
The only thing is, the very first job was perfect. Boss and managers loved too much all of the contributions. So that's why I'm turning back to them, just in case they have a position to offer. But if not, well, I really fear not being able to come back in the industry.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

Knight Corgi posted:

I edited out because rumors may spread, but screw it. It's management consulting. While I do understand that behavior is something to fix, right now I need to fix this unemployment situation asap.

Yeah I pretty much guessed management consulting. Sorry dude, you are the common link between managers being unhappy with you after the grace period, and there is a long line of business school grads waiting to fill the empty position you left behind (especially if the companies are as elite as you're implying).

I get the impression that you start out as a go-getter and then quickly get an attitude when you get negative feedback. I mean six months before jumping ship? Come on. You sure aren't displaying good judgement and as an employer I would stay the heck away. I've always heard that industry was 'up or out' and it's pretty clear the direction you've intended to go and the direction you're going.

If you get a job in your industry again, it will probably be with a lower tier firm that wants to include your former employers in their pamphlets, sorry.

Knight Corgi
Jan 5, 2014

BadSamaritan posted:

Yeah I pretty much guessed management consulting. Sorry dude, you are the common link between managers being unhappy with you after the grace period, and there is a long line of business school grads waiting to fill the empty position you left behind (especially if the companies are as elite as you're implying).

I get the impression that you start out as a go-getter and then quickly get an attitude when you get negative feedback. I mean six months before jumping ship? Come on. You sure aren't displaying good judgement and as an employer I would stay the heck away. I've always heard that industry was 'up or out' and it's pretty clear the direction you've intended to go and the direction you're going.

If you get a job in your industry again, it will probably be with a lower tier firm that wants to include your former employers in their pamphlets, sorry.

Yeah that's what I fear... But anyway, only solution is getting back to that smaller firm and cool down a little. So I guess it's pretty much dead for now, and my best bet is that smaller firm. Although it is as selective, there's also less competition because it's not as famous. But now my worst fear is that they are not doing well this year so they might not want to recruit anybody...
Anyway, there's already an appointment planned with one of the managers. Not sure when yet, but will contact soon, according to him. I hope this is a good sign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

Rosalind posted:

This isn't too bad. The only thing that drives my little anal-retentive brain crazy is that your indentations for your bullet points and the lines after bullet points are all over the place.

Also who the heck still uses Office XP? Why even refer to a specific version of Office?

Oh and structural is spelled wrong on the same line as "proofreading" :lol:

Thanks!

I appreciate the input – I've fixed the two text issues and I'm going to fix the alignment on the indented lines as soon as I can.

I guess I'll try applying for stuff under my middle name. Can't hurt to try and see what happens.