Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Davros1 posted:

I was disgusted at Alfred punching a twelve year old girl.

I didnt like when he kicked Superman so hard his loafers disintegrated >:[ You just know they were lambskin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChrisHansen
Oct 28, 2014

Suck my damn balls.
Lipstick Apathy

Davros1 posted:

I was disgusted at Alfred punching a twelve year old girl.

Well, she did off his best bud

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I'm pretty sure she's 15, which makes it okay.

(it's not okay).

But yea, I don't know why Penguin didn't tell Gordon that Teddy had his Mom and they could have figured out how to get her back together. I'm glad I was not the only one weirded out by the Zasz scene. I mean, he walked into the room with his guns on full display and Hobb's cronies just kinda stand there. Yea, people are taking shots at Mayoral candidates and a guy walks in strapped and you don't pull out your guns on him? That's some bad security.

And I noticed the weird editing during the first part of the shootout, it was almost like they had an insert of one of the Zasz's depeche mode cronies covering him from a fire escape, but then cut it during shooting, but left the insert of Gordon looking up.

And if anything they'll do Court of Owls over Ra's Al Ghul, because Ra's is locked up with Arrow, and I know DC is very strict about having its properties in multiple shows.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe

Phenotype posted:

What the gently caress was that encounter with Zsasz? 6 armed cops with Zsasz standing in the middle of an alley, and then Bullock and Gordon start firing, and then Gordon stops and looks at something, cut to commercial, and then we're back and what the gently caress was Gordon looking at?

He was looking at was the face of Zsasz, a face he recognizes. Up until that point, nobody had a clue who was taking shots at mayoral candidates. When he sees Zsasz, he realizes that it's the Penguin, of all people. That means that his shenanigans with Penguin might get uncovered because now he's going to have to go after Zsasz, and by extension, Penguin. It's the kind of realization that would make a TV character stop to take a closer, longer look.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

ChrisHansen posted:

Well, she did off his best bud

Does he not know his best bud was threatening to reveal Bruce's involvement, which would've basically been a death sentence?

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The shootout was regular TV-shootout bad, but I really liked Zasz delivery of "unnn-expECted!" Good enunciation.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

The shootout was regular TV-shootout bad, but I really liked Zasz delivery of "unnn-expECted!" Good enunciation.

He doesn't even really seem like he's hurt or in pain. Just offended one of those plebs managed to hit him at all.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

And if anything they'll do Court of Owls over Ra's Al Ghul, because Ra's is locked up with Arrow, and I know DC is very strict about having its properties in multiple shows.

I remember reading an interview about the Court of Owls coming to Gotham and the show runner was all like, 'I can't say anything because that would spoil the mystery but who knows? It's something we will definitely consider looking at down the line to further the story.'

Which was hilarious to me because the guys running the Flash are all about trying to shove and grind through as many major storylines and characters possible before DC catches up and bans everything.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Kegslayer posted:

Which was hilarious to me because the guys running the Flash are all about trying to shove and grind through as many major storylines and characters possible before DC catches up and bans everything.

I honestly prefer this approach, one that Agents Of SHIELD shares, using the concepts behind a few villains to spur on a season long plot. Hell, I think there are probably a few too many rogues for my liking, running around and pulling hijinks. Riddler is really getting the short end of the stick.

On that note, one of my mates suggested that Kris Kringle's outfit was very Poison Ivy in this episode -- red hair, green top. Plus, there's the constant bevy of suitors that are swarming around her. I guess we'll see what's going on there when Nicholas D'Agosto (Dent) starts turning up again, but I really like that idea. Hell, she's certainly some kind of hosed up at this point -- she's got the destined to be a serial-killer name, and she's way too smart to not know that Ed's up to something. Posion Ivy, Calendar Girl, female Riddler? I'd be up for any of those plots.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Open Source Idiom posted:

I honestly prefer this approach, one that Agents Of SHIELD shares, using the concepts behind a few villains to spur on a season long plot. Hell, I think there are probably a few too many rogues for my liking, running around and pulling hijinks. Riddler is really getting the short end of the stick.

On that note, one of my mates suggested that Kris Kringle's outfit was very Poison Ivy in this episode -- red hair, green top. Plus, there's the constant bevy of suitors that are swarming around her. I guess we'll see what's going on there when Nicholas D'Agosto (Dent) starts turning up again, but I really like that idea. Hell, she's certainly some kind of hosed up at this point -- she's got the destined to be a serial-killer name, and she's way too smart to not know that Ed's up to something. Posion Ivy, Calendar Girl, female Riddler? I'd be up for any of those plots.

They already have their Poison Ivy, that one girl that was with Selina in Season One.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Zebulon posted:

He doesn't even really seem like he's hurt or in pain. Just offended one of those plebs managed to hit him at all.

Well, the guy does cut notches in himself whenever he kills someone, so I doubt pain is a very big deal for him.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe

GaussianCopula posted:

They already have their Poison Ivy, that one girl that was with Selina in Season One.

While I don't disagree with you, it has to be said that they also have thier Joker. Or they did, before they stabbed him in the neck.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern
It was cheesy as hell, but I liked the exchange between Alfred and Bruce, lifted almost word for word from Goldfinger.

"Do you expect me to walk?"
"No, Master Bruce. I expect you to run."

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Pan Dulce posted:

Does he not know his best bud was threatening to reveal Bruce's involvement, which would've basically been a death sentence?

If I remember correctly, no, he does not.

I'm really liking this new season. I was sad that Jerome got offed; was hoping for some sort of, "critical wound but still survived scenario" but, showing him on the morgue slab put an end to that. I thought he was a great Joker. There's great writing in this show. I love the under current themes of what is really good and evil and how even good guys have to do bad things for the greater good; same as in the Batman comics. Hoping that Selina kicks the poo poo out of Theo's skank niece he introduced to Bruce.

Holy poo poo I just googled "Gotham Cast" and it shows Paul Reubens playing Penguin's father. That's some nice casting there.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

[quote="radical meme" post=""451439048"]

Holy poo poo I just googled "Gotham Cast" and it shows Paul Reubens playing Penguin's father. That's some nice casting there.
[/quote]

Do you mean because he was Penguin's dad in Batman Returns, or just because he is creepy?

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Trickjaw posted:

Do you mean because he was Penguin's dad in Batman Returns, or just because he is creepy?

I had completely forgotten that he was in Batman Returns. I meant it because of the similarity in appearance. Reubens is great choice from an appearance, similarity in facial features, and creepiness also. This should be fun.

radical meme fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Oct 14, 2015

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

tarlibone posted:

He was looking at was the face of Zsasz, a face he recognizes. Up until that point, nobody had a clue who was taking shots at mayoral candidates. When he sees Zsasz, he realizes that it's the Penguin, of all people. That means that his shenanigans with Penguin might get uncovered because now he's going to have to go after Zsasz, and by extension, Penguin. It's the kind of realization that would make a TV character stop to take a closer, longer look.

Sure, but it seemed like he knew it was the Penguin before that happened. He was talking to the office workers for the other candidate that got stabbed and one of them says that the guy "dressed in really fancy clothes and walked funny." Gordon already knew who it was yeah?

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe

hatelull posted:

Sure, but it seemed like he knew it was the Penguin before that happened. He was talking to the office workers for the other candidate that got stabbed and one of them says that the guy "dressed in really fancy clothes and walked funny." Gordon already knew who it was yeah?

True. But then again, Gordon may have known, but not everyone else did, and at that point, it was just the one dead person. The connection between that murder and the attempt on Galavant's life was pure speculation at that point. By seeing Zsasz at the scene of the crime with the other candidate, the connection to the Penguin was confirmed beyond the shadow of a doubt.

Maybe. It's literally the only thing I can think of that makes any sense.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Open Source Idiom posted:

When she was first introduced, I sort of figured they were going to end up going a Dexter route with her: Working in the records room she's got a list of the 'naughty and nice' of Gotham and occasionally kills people that the GCPD and DA can't stop.

Given how uneven the first season was, I still sort of believe that they maybe toyed with the idea of the crazy killer person that Barbara became was initially meant for her and Eddie's progression into supervillainy was out of puppy love trying to protect and get close to her, even down to emulating her green clothes/reddish hair style.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

twistedmentat posted:

I'm pretty sure she's 15, which makes it okay.

(it's not okay).

But yea, I don't know why Penguin didn't tell Gordon that Teddy had his Mom and they could have figured out how to get her back together.

Penguin doesn't want anyone to obviously be looking for his mom (he said that earlier) and thinks that Gordon would probably screw it up, is a decent reason.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

Darko posted:

Penguin doesn't want anyone to obviously be looking for his mom (he said that earlier) and thinks that Gordon would probably screw it up, is a decent reason.

When Penguin normally asks for favors from Gordon, he doesn't do it because he need help. It's Gotham. He can find some shlub (or just send Zsasz) to pick up protection money. He does it because he want poo poo to hold over Gordon's head, just as he did last week.

Now Penguin ACTUALLY needs help, and doesn't want Gordon to know, so he screams at him instead.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Penguin probably doesn't want anyone else to know that he has such a weakness. Butch is okay to tell since he's been conditioned towards loyalty but he wouldn't want it spread around.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

muscles like this? posted:

Penguin probably doesn't want anyone else to know that he has such a weakness. Butch is okay to tell since he's been conditioned towards loyalty but he wouldn't want it spread around.

Didn't Penguin even wait to tell Butch? For some reason I remember him telling Butch after they killed the candidate in the office.

Butch's "Lady, we've been doing crazy stuff all day" was great.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I like the Gordon/Lee interactions.

Also I guess they didn't forget the Policeman's Union thing.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe
OK... I loved this episode. This was a good balance between the worlds of "gritty, nasty realism" and "this is some straight-up comic book poo poo right here."

The whole bit with the Wayne Knife of Punishment? I loved it. So over-the-top. So ridiculous. And when old Auntee Kroadshow finished her story, she even gave a curtsy.

And Butch... yeah, didn't see that coming.

Who's fire girl? I'm only tangentially familiar with the comic book. Is she a villain? going to be a villain? Or a sorta-villain, like Catwoman? Or is she going to be the Joker?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Yeah, Penguin was in top form tonight.

Given the outfit the girl is... Firebug? Firefly? I know I've seen them on TAS and/or BB.

Edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nq8epcID95g looks like it was Firebug in the comics, Firefly in the cartoons. Same general costume in either case.

Edit2: Next week's trailer confirms they're going with the name Firefly.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Oct 20, 2015

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

I loved that really goofy criminal Wal-mart where you could get brass knuckles and napalm.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Few blocks of Composition D laying around.

Digging this season man, the last one was a nightmare mix of pure gold, and absolute shite.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Michael Chiklis is playing anti- Vic Mackey, it's hilarious (and awesome)

The first season was trying to take itself too seriously. You can't be a comic book TV show and also be semi-serious police procedural + serialized drama, just doesn't work.

Second season has abandoned all pretense and gone full comic book camp, it's pretty good if you're into that.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Bert Roberge posted:

I loved that really goofy criminal Wal-mart where you could get brass knuckles and napalm.

Yeah, I laughed a lot at the reveal that the Merc was set up like a big box store.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

tarlibone posted:

OK... I loved this episode. This was a good balance between the worlds of "gritty, nasty realism" and "this is some straight-up comic book poo poo right here."

The whole bit with the Wayne Knife of Punishment? I loved it. So over-the-top. So ridiculous. And when old Auntee Kroadshow finished her story, she even gave a curtsy.

Who's fire girl? I'm only tangentially familiar with the comic book. Is she a villain? going to be a villain? Or a sorta-villain, like Catwoman? Or is she going to be the Joker?

you forgot the kid who exploded because he was trying to shop lift c4.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Bert Roberge posted:

Ammu-nation.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

muscles like this? posted:

Yeah, I laughed a lot at the reveal that the Merc was set up like a big box store.
Go back and check out the aisle labels too, they went all-in on it, pretty funny. The announcements were killer too.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe

Bert Roberge posted:

Oh God, yes. The Merc.

If you are good with the pause button, there are truly hilarious signs around. AK-47's at 50% of, aisle signs that tell you where you can find the hand grenades or napalm. At one point, there was a price check on brass knuckles that went over the PA system! And a 10% surcharge if you pay in money that's got blood on it.

That was such an appropriate (and ridiculous) element to the episode, and it fight right in with the whole niche that the show seems to be carving out for itself. It's becoming more like a deconstruction: what if all this goofy supervillain/superhero stuff happened in a real-life police procedural? I could live with this kind of thing. It'll be hard to maintain, but this episode was, I thought, a highlight of the early part of Season 2.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

you forgot the kid who exploded because he was trying to shop lift c4.

My wife and I called that the instant he stuffed it into his pants. The only surprise was that there wasn't an anti-theft device that activated it once he got away from the store.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Bad Guy Wal-Mart is basically the ultimate explanation for everything Batman, I hope more incarnations use it.

tarlibone posted:

My wife and I called that the instant he stuffed it into his pants. The only surprise was that there wasn't an anti-theft device that activated it once he got away from the store.
The C4 was the anti-theft device.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

tarlibone posted:

I'm trying to wrap my mind around Butch still. Poor guy can't catch a break.

I know the origin is totally different, but is there a snowball's chance in hell be becomes Clayface in some misguided attempt to get his hand back?

pookerbug
Jan 21, 2006

the vitreous humourist

Bruceski posted:

Yeah, Penguin was in top form tonight.

Given the outfit the girl is... Firebug? Firefly? I know I've seen them on TAS and/or BB.

Edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nq8epcID95g looks like it was Firebug in the comics, Firefly in the cartoons. Same general costume in either case.

Edit2: Next week's trailer confirms they're going with the name Firefly.

That makes it official. This series is part of the Batman TAS (1992) canon.

There will be no arguments against this. It has been decided.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Loving how crazy this show has got. It just makes it much better.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
They blew up that kid!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Pretty disappointed there isn't a kid blowing up gif.

• Locked thread