Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
A couple other good ones:

You mentioned Adam's way for the Grotesquery, but if you have 84 Hearts or thereabouts you can assist at the animescence hospital in the Chapel of Pyres for a Tale of Terror, Zee-ztory, Memory of Distant Shores, and Vision of the Surface each time. (Also great for those trying to make the Zong of the Zee.) Another good one is to avoid finishing the questline in Varchas, spend the day listening to mantras in the temple of Varchas for a free Memory of Distant Shores each time, then rest in the inn and choose the Courtyard event in the evening (50 mirrors check) for another 3 Memories, for a total of 7 per stay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Cantorsdust posted:

A couple other good ones:

You mentioned Adam's way for the Grotesquery, but if you have 84 Hearts or thereabouts you can assist at the animescence hospital in the Chapel of Pyres for a Tale of Terror, Zee-ztory, Memory of Distant Shores, and Vision of the Surface each time. (Also great for those trying to make the Zong of the Zee.) Another good one is to avoid finishing the questline in Varchas, spend the day listening to mantras in the temple of Varchas for a free Memory of Distant Shores each time, then rest in the inn and choose the Courtyard event in the evening (50 mirrors check) for another 3 Memories, for a total of 7 per stay.

Another reason to avoid finishing Varchas is they pay even more than the Curator does for blue scintillack, which sometimes drops from wisp-ways farming.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
Also if you finish Varchas it's totally your fault the city gets its poo poo kicked in. You monster.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I'm trying to play Fallen London but for some reason no icons show up and the page layout is all hosed up on every browser. What's the deal? It's not a java issue, I just updated it.

Also this game and setting is really cool, gently caress the haters

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Sounds like a connection's timing out, and it isn't serving the layout or images. Best I can suggest is to try again in a bit; FL occasionally suffers from server weirdness and lag, but they sort it out quickly.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
It's consistent over a couple of days and multiple attempts.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
poo poo, that's weird, it's loading fine for me on Firefox and IE. I presume you've bypassed the cache with CTRL+F5 or whatever your OS equivalent is.

If it was just Firefox, I'd suggest it might be an ad blocker or HTTPS Anywhere making something choke, but those aren't going to affect entirely different browsers. :/

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Tried it. Didn't work on chrome or firefox. Oddly, internet explorer won't even let me log into the site. The button does nothing. I'm quite perplexed.

Antares
Jan 13, 2006

Whitelist the domain in Control Panel > Internet Options and Java Control Panel > Security maybe?

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Which one do I do? Storynexus?

Antares
Jan 13, 2006

shotgun approach, *.[anything they throw at you].com

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Wait a minute... this "sunlesssetup" thing the game sent me to isn't actually fallen london, is it? That actual Fallen London url works. Where the hell was I?

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
NORTH

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
http://www.failbettergames.com/comic/

Their comic is pretty cool. This is a great setting.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
How do you get new tomb colonists after losing some? I saw an event for it in Polythreme back when I had a full complement but it's gone now that I don't.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

The Sharmat posted:

http://www.failbettergames.com/comic/

Their comic is pretty cool. This is a great setting.

Yeah, it was good, all six pages of it.

I wish they'd do more of that and less of bad gameplay.

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord

The Sharmat posted:

How do you get new tomb colonists after losing some? I saw an event for it in Polythreme back when I had a full complement but it's gone now that I don't.

Quite infrequently, you can find a tomb-colonist inside a Zee Creature's stomach. Crabs and Sharks do not a chance for this, supposedly.

The other method is the one you found in Polythreme, where you recruit a bandage-colony to play the part of one of your missing tourists. This is available 50% of the time you dock at Polythreme with Something Awaits You.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I didn't even know there were random SAY things.

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
Yeah, it usually works by varying the RESULTS of a particular action, but there are a few places in the game where an entirely different option appears for you to choose.

tirinal
Feb 5, 2007
For the interested, a preview of Zubmariner: http://www.failbettergames.com/a-first-look-at-zubmariner/

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Hopefully this does something to mitigate the content poor condition of the current midgame. Looks pretty nifty, at least.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

The Sharmat posted:

Hopefully this does something to mitigate the content poor condition of the current midgame. Looks pretty nifty, at least.

Ehhh..I worry its going to be a late game thing, with one needing a specific kind of ship to attach a "zubmarine" lowering device and the zubmarine itself...so expensive = end game. I hope I'm wrong.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Snuffman posted:

Ehhh..I worry its going to be a late game thing, with one needing a specific kind of ship to attach a "zubmarine" lowering device and the zubmarine itself...so expensive = end game. I hope I'm wrong.

watch it cost like 200 secrets or a dozen fluke cores or something equally horrible

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Pattonesque posted:

watch it cost like 200 secrets or a dozen fluke cores or something equally horrible

You need to sacrifice the Tireless Mechanic AND the Genial Magician before their respective quests end.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

double nine posted:

You need to sacrifice the Tireless Mechanic AND the Genial Magician before their respective quests end.

I'd prefer that to the secrets or the fluke cores honestly. At least I could keep Maybe's Rival and just buy an expensive engine.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
You craft it by consuming the Impeller and Salt's Song.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
Does anyone know if the Eater of Names respawns? Like an idiot I accidentally traded it in at venderbight, and I was working on the kingdom ambition.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Dramatika posted:

Does anyone know if the Eater of Names respawns? Like an idiot I accidentally traded it in at venderbight, and I was working on the kingdom ambition.

It should. Note that the spawning system in this game is a little odd: spawns have a chance of appearing, but the chance is only checked every time you load a game. So if you load your game and it isn't showing up, don't waste an hour continuously checking the spot, just reload again.

Anonononomous
Jul 1, 2007
What's a sustainable way to make money with the base ship? My Sphinxstone just ran out and I'm not sure what to do since I seem to be eating away at my capital on any trips.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

IIRC coffee to the surface is a good way to make money. THE SUN THE SUN THE SUN THE SUN THE though

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

Anonononomous posted:

What's a sustainable way to make money with the base ship? My Sphinxstone just ran out and I'm not sure what to do since I seem to be eating away at my capital on any trips.

Use the Admiral's requests to get Strategic Information, combine 2 pieces of it (right-click on it in your inventory) and convert it to Vital Intelligence, which you can turn in to the Admiral for 350 echoes a piece. Most of his requests are easily reachable, and you can ask for a different one if you get sent to somewhere like the Chelonate on the other side of the map.

The first time you give the Admiral the Vital Intelligence, it'll unlock the Voracious Diplomat, who will give you Diplomatic Agents you can take to Port Carnelian or the Khanate to set up spy networks which will get you more Vital Intelligence down the line. I've found this to be a pretty sustainable source of money as the game goes on. You can also turn the Intelligence into the Diplomat directly, which gets you more money than via the Admiral, but this can be problematic down the line: if you raise Supremacy: The Dawn Machine too high you lose access to the Admiral.

You can also do the Blind Bruiser's requests, but the profit margin isn't too great, and getting caught by the authorities can be pretty costly.

The other quick way to get money in the early game is via the First Curator in Venderbight. It's not sustainable, but it'll give you a large cash injection you can use to boost yourself up to the better ships. If you haven't got the quest, you have to find and return 7 very rare items, some of which can be got very early, and you'll get a Captivating Treasure in return which can be sold for 1000 echoes. Spoilered because half the fun is looking for them:

You can get Cosmogone from the Uttershroom via a simple sidequest involving spreading Blemmigans to other islands.
You can get Peligin from Avid Horizon for a small payment of Fragments.
You can also get Irrigo from Avid Horizon if you haven't used up your Beginner's Luck, though it's only a 50% chance.
You can get Viric from doing the early part of the Tireless Mechanic's quest, or by somehow making it to Varchas (unlikely with the starting ship but you never know.)
You can get Violant from a rare event if you wander the Khanate.
The others will have to wait till later in the game.

Lastly, you can try to start the Pulse of the Principles sidequest in Port Cecil, which will shower you in Scintillack in exchange for some uncommon items. However, Port Cecil might be far away, and it requires lucking through some tough Pages checks to start. If you're interested, keep playing chess until you lose whenever you get there, and you'll start it eventually.

e: already written too many words, but you can try trading Darkdrop Coffee to the surface as well. Going to the surface too much is dangerous, but a few trips won't do any harm. Basically, you buy Darkdrop Coffee and Fuel at the Iron Republic, sell the coffee in Vienna, and buy the supplies you need for the next run on the surface where they're cheap. It's not ideal in the early game as you need a reasonable amount of starting capital to buy the coffee and the supplies, and you don't have much hold space, but it becomes more useful as the games goes on.

Gato fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Dec 31, 2015

Anonononomous
Jul 1, 2007
OK, cool. Thanks for the tips.

I was also wondering if I should be fighting. I checked a few beginners guides when I started, and they all basically said no way, the starter ship is awful, you'll die. Fight only when you upgrade to a new ship. But the SA LP I've been checking out says fighting is super easy and a great source of supplies. It was started in February, though. So has the combat AI been upgraded and I will, in fact, die? Or were the guides out of date? It would definitely be a nice way to extend my trips with the small starting hold, but I've invested a lot in this run so I'm afraid to try it out and get killed.

Anonononomous fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Dec 31, 2015

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Anonononomous posted:

I was also wondering if I should be fighting. I checked a few beginners guides when I started, and they all basically said no way, the starter ship is awful, you'll die. Fight only when you upgrade to a new ship. But the SA LP I've been checking out says fighting is super easy and a great source of supplies. It was started in February, though. So has the combat AI been upgraded and I will, in fact, die? Or were the guides out of date?

smaller pirate ships (i.e. crack pinnaces, frigates) are fairly easy to fight if you can slip in behind their firing arc and pick them to death. khaganate ships and faustic cruisers are a little more dangerous if only because they can chunk you pretty hard if youre in the starting ship.

zee-beasts should probably be avoided. their charge attacks are tough to avoid with the starting engines and will gently caress you up hard if they hit. speaking of which, be careful if youre trying to knock out avid horizon things early on, because theres a rare spawn up there that is just deadly as the bl__dy dickens.

if youre completely lacking in principles, red honey smuggling is lucrative. the isle of cats has a fairly low-impact storyline that will give you the ability to purchase firkins of red honey for $600 that can be sold in london for $1000. of course, the honey is extremely illegal and will raise your suspicion for even purchasing it.

the venturer in london is also a good way to make early game money. he pays very well for loads of ~7 fairly easy to acquire trade goods. he will eventually go away, though, so pay attention to when he starts talking about being close to ready to depart. youll need a ship with a big hold capacity to take him to avid horizon and get the curio that boosts your next captains pages.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Anonononomous posted:

I was also wondering if I should be fighting. I checked a few beginners guides when I started, and they all basically said no way, the starter ship is awful, you'll die. Fight only when you upgrade to a new ship. But the SA LP I've been checking out says fighting is super easy and a great source of supplies. It was started in February, though. So has the combat AI been upgraded and I will, in fact, die? Or were the guides out of date? It would definitely be a nice way to extend my trips with the small starting hold, but I've invested a lot in this run so I'm afraid to try it out and get killed.

With the basic ship, there are a few things that you can fight and beat pretty consistently, and then everything else which will absolutely annihilate you. Weak-looking pirates are fine since they have a very limited arc of fire and are helpless if you get on the opposite side of them, but zee-beasts will tear you to shreds if your ship is too slow and weak to outrun or outmaneuver them.

Anonononomous
Jul 1, 2007
Is there a reason to buy the Calvary instead of the Britomart? The stats on the cheaper one look uniformly better, which doesn't seem to make much sense.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
hey, so, when the Mr Sacks storyline says that you shouldnt screw around, it means it. that son of a bitch ate all but two of my crew.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Anonononomous posted:

Is there a reason to buy the Calvary instead of the Britomart? The stats on the cheaper one look uniformly better, which doesn't seem to make much sense.

haha has that still not been fixed?

i think the assumption is that the stats have been switched around accidentally.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

paranoid randroid posted:

hey, so, when the Mr Sacks storyline says that you shouldnt screw around, it means it. that son of a bitch ate all but two of my crew.

Ho. Ho. Ho.

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
Are there other sources of mutersalt beyond trading a ridiculous amount of zee-stories in Whither? I almost got enough to finish the story with the implacable campaigner and started the bandaged poissonier, but didn't manage to finish before YASD, I'd like to know for future reference.
E: also, are extraordinary implications okay to feed to the scholar, or have I missed something major that would be better? Just hint at it, I'll look for it myself. I really don't want to spoil myself anymore than necessary to avoid anything I found to be a tedious grind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

mortons stork posted:

Are there other sources of mutersalt beyond trading a ridiculous amount of zee-stories in Whither? I almost got enough to finish the story with the implacable campaigner and started the bandaged poissonier, but didn't manage to finish before YASD, I'd like to know for future reference.
E: also, are extraordinary implications okay to feed to the scholar, or have I missed something major that would be better? Just hint at it, I'll look for it myself. I really don't want to spoil myself anymore than necessary to avoid anything I found to be a tedious grind.

YASD?

According to the wiki, the only other place to get mutersalt apart from Whither is via collecting information for the Admiral from the Mangrove College, which isn't exactly reliable. If you need zee-stories, go kill a few Jillyfish and watch them dissolve.

5 Extraordinary Implications can be traded for something significantly better. Spoilers for where and what: a Searing Enigma, at Irem.

• Locked thread