Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Assassination Classroom also had the advantage of being by someone who already had a fairly substantial run in Jump (Majin Tantei Nougami Neuro) previously, so established author fanbase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dazoner
May 17, 2006

White People!
Definitely feel like it's wrapping up now. Gourmet world was supposed to be the final adventure... additionally, there were/are so many threads that if the author pulled them all we'd end up with a year of Sanji's having nose bleeds and no other straw hats...

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
Chapter 343 is out!

Welp, gently caress the moon I guess. Don Slime gonna drop the biggest elbow in the world. And Ichiryuu might be revived?!? Holy poo poo!

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Huzzah! posted:

Welp, gently caress the moon I guess. Don Slime gonna drop the biggest elbow in the world. And Ichiryuu might be revived?!? Holy poo poo!
I kinda felt like the implication is he was but I dunno this manga has gone completely nuts.

Seebach
Jul 14, 2012

Huzzah! posted:

Chapter 343 is out!

So is there a reason that Coco's Demon is hanging out at the gateway with all the others?

Also, they spent decades inside the clam? Plural? Over an ammount of 3 weeks?

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Spiderdrake posted:

I kinda felt like the implication is he was but I dunno this manga has gone completely nuts.

I hope so, cos he didn't fight enough previously.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
I was expecting goons to be mad that Ichiru is being revived, but I guess everyone's fine with bonkers stuff happening in this bonkers manga.

How is Toriko not popular when weak rear end assassination classroom is?

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

sharktamer posted:

I was expecting goons to be mad that Ichiru is being revived, but I guess everyone's fine with bonkers stuff happening in this bonkers manga.

Im mad, but about the lack of Tommyrod revival.

Seriously, reading this is like discovering the car you're speeding in has no breaks.

brotato
May 14, 2013

Seebach posted:

So is there a reason that Coco's Demon is hanging out at the gateway with all the others?
Maybe it's like, his demon's cousin or something.

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

Im mad, but about the lack of Tommyrod revival.
Ain't nothing to revive, that bitch got ate.

This chapter was disappointingly short but at least it looks like we're gonna get to see some crazy cooking next time.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

man he isn't gonna be revived, he's probably chilling with his adopted mom. hes just gonna say let me be in peace and revive whatherface's dead son

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

sharktamer posted:

Assassination Classroom is insanely boring coming from the dude who made Neuro.

Neuro however owned so hard I still root for the guy anyway.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Seebach posted:

Also, they spent decades inside the clam? Plural? Over an ammount of 3 weeks?

The Hyperbolic Time Bivalve

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?

sharktamer posted:

Not mad, but I honestly cannot give a poo poo about Toriko anymore recently. It's just bouncing all over the place, insane stuff happens every single week but it's so hard to care about any of it. There's no real payoff because we cut to different stuff all the freaking time.

I want it to go back to the days of Toriko getting his hand cut off and then using his bloody stump to beat the poo poo out of Tommyrod.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Huzzah! posted:

Chapter 343 is out!

Awesome chapter as usual. This manga kills it routinely.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Mulderman posted:

Not mad, but I honestly cannot give a poo poo about Toriko anymore recently. It's just bouncing all over the place, insane stuff happens every single week but it's so hard to care about any of it. There's no real payoff because we cut to different stuff all the freaking time.

I want it to go back to the days of Toriko getting his hand cut off and then using his bloody stump to beat the poo poo out of Tommyrod.

This chapter was particularly bad about that. Read it and just went "Huh? I guess that works." There's no focus, no time to make an emotional connection with any of the 30 characters they're jumping between, and the pacing is hideous.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
How many more weeks do you think Shonen Jump gave to finish this up?

Cody Banks
Mar 7, 2013

Mr. Maltose posted:

Some time before 2016 for sure.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

I'm optimistic that Toriko will end at an appropriate time and not any time soon despite all indications.

Spidder
Jan 9, 2005

Pewdiepie posted:

I'm optimistic that Toriko will end at an appropriate time and not any time soon despite all indications.

Yeah I refuse to believe this is getting cancelled and forced to an early ending while poo poo like Bleach keeps trudging through its final arc at a snail's pace after 10+ years of mediocrity.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Toriko is too cool to be canceled.

Deer King is too big to fail.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
http://bato.to/read/_/350296/toriko_ch343_by_hi-wa-mata-noboru/7

this page.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Incidently page 14 has an actual picture of the WHALE KING I just realized. Look at its goddamn mouth, it basically is a goddamn mouth, the gently caress.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Pewdiepie posted:

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Mr. Maltose posted:

Wait, are there legit rumors that toriko is getting axed?

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

pentyne posted:

Wait, are there legit rumors that toriko is getting axed?

It's the only thing I can think of, given the huge acceleration of the story lately. Like, we'll apparently never see rad cooking battles #2-4.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

While pacing in Toriko has always been pretty fast. Lately things have been moving at breakneck speed. Unless the whole cooking God thing is just another arc and we'll have wacky adventures in space or something, it all comes in way to fast. From a story perspective, we're in the endgame here. It feels very sudden and fast which often happens when a series gets the signal to wrap things up.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Does anyone happen to know where Toriko ranks on the Jump questionnaires? Bakuman taught me that high rankings are the key to staying published in Jump. It's just as possible that the Mangaka wants to wrap this sucker up and move on to something else too, not everyone wants to have Naruto length runs, and Oda is basically the only guy crazy enough to go the full One Piece and run for decades. Or maybe he's just upping the pace so it ends within 2-3 years instead of what could easily have been 5 years if he stuck to the formula and did a detailed story on the acquisition of each Full Course item.

Ultimately, I think the most likely outcome of all is everyone (myself definitely included) is overreacting to the fact that we saw a big time skip (which we're now starting to see in some detail in flashbacks) and that we probably aren't going to see all the rad cooking battles.

NowonSA fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Oct 16, 2015

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
Yeah seeing as the problem with most manga nowadays is that everything's too slow, having this rushing through absolutely everything is unfortunate. This could be mad awesome if a bit more time was taken, there's so much to explore.

Also, speaking of long running manga, is that kochikame still running? What kind of ratings does it get? It seems like dog poo poo but I bet people love it cos it's an institution.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Toriko has been pretty much stable on the 7-8 spot for a long time now. So not quite in the danger zone so to speak.
kochikame is still running and doing about the same as Toriko ranking wise.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

I think people are right to view the acceleration with suspicion when the beginning of the arc sections were introduced as:

~Gourmet World Menu 1: AIR~
~Gourmet World Menu 2: PAIR~
~Gourmet World Menu 3: Everything Else~

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Even before the time skip, wasn't the Gourmet Eclipse going to happen soon anyway? It seems like even the rushing was sort of planned back then.

Keven. Just. Keven
May 25, 2010

MY GOD. THE WILL... THE FIGHTING SPIRIT... JUST WHEN YOU THINK IT'S OVER, TSM COMES BACK STRONGER THAN EVER.
I know it seems like Toriko is getting wrapped up in a hurry but I wouldn't worry about it, DBZ went on for like a decade after someone blew up the entire moon for basically no reason.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
this looks pretty loving good im gonna start watching tonight

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~
So I'm guessing that each of the four heavenly kings are going to have their final battles with their respective kings and get their ultimate ingredients, Midora Jirou and Ichiryuu are going to team up to take down the blue Nitro/Acacia, maybe Komatsu gets Joa? Or the dragon king which no one else seems to be fighting now?

I don't really care, so long as the last chapter is one giant gay marriage between every character with Komatsu at the center.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Livebearer is going to have sex in 2016.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Pewdiepie posted:

Livebearer is going to have sex in 2016.

Libear. Its Libear.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

ANIME AKBAR posted:

So I'm guessing that each of the four heavenly kings are going to have their final battles with their respective kings and get their ultimate ingredients, Midora Jirou and Ichiryuu are going to team up to take down the blue Nitro/Acacia, maybe Komatsu gets Joa? Or the dragon king which no one else seems to be fighting now?

I don't really care, so long as the last chapter is one giant gay marriage between every character with Komatsu at the center.

toriko is obviously going to fight the final boss and it will have something to do with him having 2 gourmet demons

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Uuuugh I cant take more of this set up.
Not that I'm not really enjoying it: ITS GREAT

but please someone do something already I'm plateauing

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Uuuugh I cant take more of this set up.
Not that I'm not really enjoying it: ITS GREAT

but please someone do something already I'm plateauing

Yeah I'm the opposite. The past 20 or so chapters have been super boring other than the 2-3 pages of WHOA HOLY poo poo LOOK AT THAT while reading back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selane
May 19, 2006

DiggityDoink posted:

Yeah I'm the opposite. The past 20 or so chapters have been super boring other than the 2-3 pages of WHOA HOLY poo poo LOOK AT THAT while reading back.

It's not so much that I find it boring as it is that I just have almost no idea what's going on at this point.

• Locked thread