Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

ilifinicus posted:

:eng101: this only happens if you are in a party, regardless of whether your party members are near you or if you're just with a chocobo

No?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

wait poo poo I might be thinking of equal-leveled groups of mobs, not super lower level ones

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Void Ark preview posted, along with a gearset preview. Looks like it will be great at increasing DPS for your DRK

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/topics/detail/2dd46506dbce0211950ed0a6c4463d52b8d5b774

petcarcharodon
Jun 25, 2013
Nice to see Diabolos again. I can't wait to see 24 people loving up doors now.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
I really like the aesthetic for that gear.

e: oh hey there's a mq preview too, but even less there than the void ark preview

e2: better pic of the void ark gear:

Ignimbrite fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Oct 15, 2015

Skanker
Mar 21, 2013
I'm not really a fan. Pretty drab and... edgy? At least the dungeon looks cool. Diablos is one of my favorite dungeon bosses. The i175 requirement is in line with what I expected but that's such a low hurdle to overcome right now that I was hoping for a bigger challenge.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
That gear looks boring as hell.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Freak Futanari posted:

That gear looks boring as hell.
Other than the white and black color swaps probably being healer and caster I can't tell what's what.

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'

Zereth posted:

Other than the white and black color swaps probably being healer and caster I can't tell what's what.

Well the two that look exactly the same aside from the boots are the Monk and Ninja, because for some reason despite using the exact same models they need to be separate armors instead of just having STR and DEX on the same single set. The Au'Ra is in the BRD/MCH set, and then the other two are the DRG and Tank sets, Tank one probably being the one with the kilt.

Potato Jones
Apr 9, 2007

Clever Betty
The hat on the cat is very cute, but the rest isn't terribly exciting.

Pews
Mar 7, 2006

one thousand years of anime
Grimey Drawer

Potato Jones posted:

I'm hoping /assuming that's the healer one

E: nvm didn't even notice the boring all white lalafell in the picture which must be healer cuz white

Pews fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Oct 15, 2015

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Pews posted:

I'm hoping /assuming that's the healer one

E: nvm didn't even notice the boring all white lalafell in the picture which must be healer cuz white

The lalafell and mage are near-peak Amoro.

I approve.

WTF BEES
Feb 26, 2004

I think I just hit a creature?
If I'm just picking this game up again, and only have one guy with a job in the teens, should I bother picking up the expansion right away? Or would it serve me better to wait a bit?

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

WTF BEES posted:

If I'm just picking this game up again, and only have one guy with a job in the teens, should I bother picking up the expansion right away? Or would it serve me better to wait a bit?

how badly do you want to be a dragongirl

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

WTF BEES posted:

Most of the stuff that comes with the expansion is locked behind completing 2.x's storyline. That said, if you pick up the expansion before hitting level 50, you'll be able to continue earning experience and by the time you get to the expansion you'll be halfway through level 52.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

You can wait a bit, you can't even do any HW stuff until the MSQ takes you there. Buying it will allow you to keep gaining exp once you hit 50 though, regardless of how close you are to the actual content (I was level 55 by the time I finally got to it).

Unrelated, I am on the last Hildy quest chain and am sad that it's almost over :( I hope they add a new adventure that spans through the 3.x patches.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

IcePhoenix posted:

Unrelated, I am on the last Hildy quest chain and am sad that it's almost over :( I hope they add a new adventure that spans through the 3.x patches.

Yeah i'm looking forward to Hildebrant and Moogle Delivery or their equivalents in the upcoming patches myself. Plus presumably seeing what Alisaie has been up to (maybe that'll be Void Ark?)

That and not doing Fractal or Neverreap anymore.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

IcePhoenix posted:

(I was level 55 by the time I finally got to it).

:stare: I didn't realize you could get this high by just 2.x. MSQ. Did you do a lot of dungeons or something?

Because that is a significant headstart to HW. Hell, even 52 is enough. I was 50 with max rested exp when I started and ran into a grinding wall only at 58. You can just cruise through everything with that lead.

E: void ark gear looks boring but yay for a new 24 man soon!

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012
I know one dgkk dude was like half-way through level 57 when he reached Ishgard. Doing roulettes every day and only having a limited amount of time to plow through MSQ adds up after a while.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Potato Jones posted:

more tank skirts is always a good thing but generally :agreed:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

jyrque posted:

:stare: I didn't realize you could get this high by just 2.x. MSQ. Did you do a lot of dungeons or something?

Just lots of daily roulette/trials/guildhests. The latter two while I was doing my beast tribe quests because it's a five minute (at most) interlude, the former because I had always been doing it when it was available (ie: once a day) and it wasn't until I was into probably the 2.4 quests that I realized I didn't really need to do it every day anymore (unless I really wanted the GC seals). And between my "normal" job and anything else that may have distracted me I only had ~3 or 4 hours at most to play on any given night.

I haven't really done any side quests, either. I got my relic weapon recently, the aforementioned Hildy quests, and the quests to unlock a couple beast tribes for dailies.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Some more 3.1 screenshots and Void Ark pictures from a presskit here:
http://gamerescape.com/2015/10/15/ffxiv-patch-3-1-preview-main-scenario-and-void-ark/

a kitten fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Oct 15, 2015

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I had a very annoying SCH in HLDR yesterday. Got Stone Vigil HM, which was a dungeon I hadn't gotten in awhile. I did my first pull, keep it small, because I'm trying to remember how the enemies were here. Me and the DPSes melt them pretty quickly. The SCH says "do bigger pulls please, I want to get out of here" and he's basically running off to the next area before every encounter ends. So sure enough, I do a huge pull we get through, and there's the SCH just sitting there, doing nothing and having his Eos heal. So I tell him "hey we can get out of here faster if you DPS" and he replies "Too lazy xD".

Why the hell is he even playing the game? Duty finder SCHs are the worst.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

jyrque posted:

Because that is a significant headstart to HW. Hell, even 52 is enough. I was 50 with max rested exp when I started and ran into a grinding wall only at 58. You can just cruise through everything with that lead.

E: void ark gear looks boring but yay for a new 24 man soon!

I'm like 80% into 52 and just finished 2.5. I imagine I'd be much closer to 54 now if I've been doing my daily LLDR but I can't be bothered since they take so long so I've only been doing the guildhest roulettes each day. I've been ignoring non-MSQ quests too.

e: are dragoons the hunters of ffxiv?

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.

Regardless of which role a person is playing and what I'm playing this is the #1 way to cause me to become irrationally furious and cause my blood pressure to skyrocket

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Boris Galerkin posted:

e: are dragoons the hunters of ffxiv?

Hunters were the dragoons (ffxi) of WoW, now it's come back full circle.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Looks like it could be neat. The whole Void thing makes sense to bring back Diabolos, but IMO so does that bit of lore in the promo as well as the screenshots of all those coffins. Mages fleeing a calamity, put themselves into stasis or whatever, and Diabolos is there because hey, lots of sleeping mages = lots of dream power or whatever

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Sure enough, there's a "Scholars aren't DPSing enough" thread that has the usual comments you'd expect from the OF: http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/265890-useless-scholars

Figuring out how to stance dance at an early level will be my undoing, because I now expect that from every healer and apparently many are uncomfortable with a 5-second cooldown ability.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

looking gigeresque

Weltnarok
Dec 27, 2009

Is that generic hyur with the rest of his CGI party in the MSQ screenshots? Warrior of Darkness stuff already?

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
^^^: I think it's even more important which weapon is being wielded, but it's probably best to not speculate anywhere outside of an intentionally spoilery thread

seiferguy posted:

apparently many are uncomfortable with a 5-second cooldown ability.

It has a cooldown?.. I've honestly never knew that since I never had to change more frequently than that. I guess this could be turned into a joke about people not thinking ahead, but wow

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
just wanna say that krile turning out to be a lalalfell is funny and kojifox is probably slapping his forehead for that now

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Ignimbrite posted:

I really like the aesthetic for that gear.

e: oh hey there's a mq preview too, but even less there than the void ark preview

e2: better pic of the void ark gear:

Void ark is here! Everyone gets "cool" black gear. Oh, you healers? Yeah, you're stuck with the white set.

:negative:

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
The Void Dark gear is going to be like ilvl 80 isnt it? At least can do the place once to see it I guess.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Probably i200, same as eso, with some method connected to the raid giving you eso upgrade items.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Sentient Data posted:

It has a cooldown?.. I've honestly never knew that since I never had to change more frequently than that. I guess this could be turned into a joke about people not thinking ahead, but wow

Yeah. It makes sense, essentially set things up so that your tank can survive more than 5 seconds (stoneskin, adlo, regen, etc.), switch to cleric stance, drop your DoTs (shadow flare / the bios and miasmas then bane, or the aeros), then check to see how your tank is doing. Is he fine? Start casting stone 3 / broil. If not, turn off CS and cast some cures.

It's so much more fun than waiting for the tank HP to go below 70% then cast a healing spell like you're an FF12 gambit. Plus stone 3 and broil sound so satisfying.

Weltnarok
Dec 27, 2009

Sentient Data posted:

^^^: I think it's even more important which weapon is being wielded, but it's probably best to not speculate anywhere outside of an intentionally spoilery thread

Well, it seems to me like it's the glowy version of the relic weapon that shows up in like, the first cutscene of ARR? When you first make your character and they're floating around in the void, and then they suddenly gain their artifact gear/relic weapon?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

cheetah7071 posted:

Probably i200, same as eso, with some method connected to the raid giving you eso upgrade items.

No way, thats dumb.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

a kitten posted:

Hunters were the dragoons (ffxi) of WoW, now it's come back full circle.

Did 11 come out before wow?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy
Void Ark gear looks good.

• Locked thread