Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cloudy
Jul 3, 2007

Alive to the universe; dead to the world.

a life less posted:

I think it's possible. I think a more accurate goal for your reactive dog is to have him learn to tolerate the presence of other (polite) dogs. They don't really need a canine BFF, and some may never enjoy the company of other dogs, but most can learn to cope and co-exist. I think working with a trainer is a good idea. Just re-align your expectations a wee bit.

That's really good to hear!

Yeah, my main goal is just for her to not have a totally stressed out uncomfortable reaction to butt sniffs and other random dog encounters that can't be helped. I mean, I feel like it would make her quality of life better if she didn't get stressed out during those situations. Of course if it's not a well-behaved dog on the other end there's not much anyone can do.

Also it would be awesome to not have to board her over the holidays if she could come with me to some houses that have dogs in them! But that's like an ultimate end-goal.

Triangulum posted:

I don't know about being BFFs with other dogs, but teaching your dog to tolerate others is usually possible. All of my dogs are varying levels of dog aggressive and they coexist more or less peacefully together but none of them will ever enjoy the company of a strange dog. I don't think its super realistic to expect her to eventually enjoy strange dogs but she can learn to cope with them and you may luck out and find a dog or two she legitimately likes.

And i feel you on the leash issue, it's a nightmare for people with unfriendly/DA dogs. No words strike fear into my heart faster than "It's ok he's friendly" :gonk:

Sorry, yeah, BFFs is not the end goal, but toleration totally is!

"it's ok he's friendly" is the worst thing ever. My response is always "my dog isn't." My dog is super cute so people don't care, but it helps that I myself am very frightening.

edit: proof:

cloudy fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Oct 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT

cloudy posted:

Are there success stories of leash reactive dogs coming to like other dogs? I want to work with a trainer who has a well behaved dog, but haven't started yet.

I'm just sad that my dog can't be buds with other dogs. Plus like all my relatives have dogs so it would be cool to bring her home for the holidays but right now I feel like that's a bad idea.

Haven't tried off-leash interactions cause I don't know anyone with well-behaved dogs and plus I'd just be worried she just doesn't like dogs in general. She's not aggressive though, just reactive to intense butt sniffs. Growls and if the other dog backs off the issue is dropped. So it would probably be OK. But would like to test in the most controlled environment ever.

Edit: it also sucks because there are so many people who have off-leash dogs in our public park where there are clearly signs posted to keep your dog on a leash. And they ALL run up to my dog no matter what.

My dog is leash reactive and loves other dogs...

as soon as I drop the leash.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

cloudy posted:

Are there success stories of leash reactive dogs coming to like other dogs? I want to work with a trainer who has a well behaved dog, but haven't started yet.

I'm just sad that my dog can't be buds with other dogs. Plus like all my relatives have dogs so it would be cool to bring her home for the holidays but right now I feel like that's a bad idea.

Haven't tried off-leash interactions cause I don't know anyone with well-behaved dogs and plus I'd just be worried she just doesn't like dogs in general. She's not aggressive though, just reactive to intense butt sniffs. Growls and if the other dog backs off the issue is dropped. So it would probably be OK. But would like to test in the most controlled environment ever.

Edit: it also sucks because there are so many people who have off-leash dogs in our public park where there are clearly signs posted to keep your dog on a leash. And they ALL run up to my dog no matter what.

My dog is leash/barrier reactive and I've been making an effort to work on it for close to a year now and we've just now gotten to the point where I can take him on a walk and not have him BARKBARKBARK at dogs we pass in yards and stuff. He's okay enough now that we can take him to a park and let him off leash as long as he's got something to do other than focus on the other dogs like chasing his ball. He's also cool with hanging out with dogs he knows like his agility class classmates and our next door neighbors' dogs. He doesn't actively play with them but he's okay to coexist without starting poo poo which seems to be your goal, so it is totally possible it just takes some work.

A year ago was a totally different story, I couldn't take him anywhere without it being a huge ordeal if we saw another dog. I took him to a dog behaviorist after ruling out any medical problems that would cause aggression and she gave us some stuff to work on like heeling and targeting and generally making me more interesting than being a poo poo to other dogs.

In a nutshell what you need to do is reward the hell out of her whenever she decides to ignore another dog rather than getting pissy. If she starts being an rear end you stop and turn around and walk away, if she has the opportunity to be a dick to another dog but chooses not to you stuff her full of treats. This will probably result in you looking like an idiot and your neighbors wondering wtf you're doing as you keep walking the same half block over and over again but it will get better, it just takes time.

Braki
Aug 9, 2006

Happy birthday!

Dyna Soar posted:

I probably won't go full raw food, i'll keep it at least 50% or more kibble. The kibble we have, Golden Eagle Holistic Health is supposed to be very high quality stuff and should be fine on its own.

Any food or treat that is not balanced should not consist of more than 10% of an animal's daily caloric intake or you risk running into nutritional deficiencies. Honestly the benefits of raw are limited to anecdotes. If you want to try it but are worried about nutritional balance, I know that there are raw food companies in the US and Canada that will at least formulate diets for AAFCO standards and test for potential pathogens or bacterial contamination in the food. Unfortunately, I'm not sure what is available in your area.

Unless you've put in the research to really do this correctly and be careful, I would not do it. I have seen dogs with multiple broken bones from improperly balanced raw diets.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation
*lays facedown on floor and screams inarticulately into carpet* what the gently caress happened to pi

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

Superconsndar posted:

*lays facedown on floor and screams inarticulately into carpet* what the gently caress happened to pi

PartyCrown
Dec 31, 2007

Superconsndar posted:

gibbis, people taking the poo poo rescuemoms post seriously

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Just feed your dog whatever, it'll be fine.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Braki posted:

Any food or treat that is not balanced should not consist of more than 10% of an animal's daily caloric intake or you risk running into nutritional deficiencies. Honestly the benefits of raw are limited to anecdotes. If you want to try it but are worried about nutritional balance, I know that there are raw food companies in the US and Canada that will at least formulate diets for AAFCO standards and test for potential pathogens or bacterial contamination in the food. Unfortunately, I'm not sure what is available in your area.

Unless you've put in the research to really do this correctly and be careful, I would not do it. I have seen dogs with multiple broken bones from improperly balanced raw diets.

Noted. I'll make sure to check the nutritional values.

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
What are some pros and cons of owning two dogs vs one dog? What breeds or personalities go well together? I have a house now and about an acre of electric fenced land atm. If one decides to get a second dog as a buddy for a young dog, what age should I wait to?

Note that I am not saying for sure whether or not I will get Pax a buddy, and if I do it would be like a year from now, but he likes other dogs and I think would really enjoy having a permanent friend (it would also give the cats a break tbh). I am currently transforming a finished attic into a dog proof area that Pax can stay in all day, but I don't want him to get too lonely

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I have two dogs, but the second just kind of happened and was not a planned addition to our household. We refer to him like an unplanned pregnancy.

Pros: They can play with each other so I'm not their sole source of entertainment. I don't feel as bad leaving them home alone since they have each other to hang out with either. They have different enough personalities and interests and physical abilities that if I want to do something with a dog chances are one of the two would be into it. One is an old couch potato who is good for pets and snuggles and grumping at the neighborhood children and the other is a young active dog who's good for going out and doing stuff.

Cons: Introducing a new dog to your house where your current dog has already established it as his house can be tough. My dogs didn't truly get along until I moved to a new house and they were on equal footing. They also consume twice the food, cost twice the vet bills, produce twice the poop and twice the hair. Plus walking them by yourself can be a pain in the rear end if one or both doesn't have good leash manners or one walks much faster than the other.

Dog 1 is a cattledog, Dog 2 is a cattledog/aussie mix. Like I said we didn't purposely go out and get the second dog, he just kind of happened and conveniently was the same kind of dog as our other dog. I don't think any sets of breeds do particularly better or worse together as long as they also like other dogs and you don't go out and get a dog aggressive breed to be your dog's friend or something dumb like that. Personally I'd go for a dog about your current dog's size so they can play together without risking the big dog accidentally injuring the little dog, plus they can share more toys and stuff.

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
Thanks for the input! Another quick question, do you think your dogs stay more active playing with each other than they would on their own? Pax Does like to eat, so any extra sources of exercise would be welcome

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
Based on the past 3 months I agree with all of the pros Aquatic Giraffe listed. I'll add that as you will probably get a young, less trained dog than your current one you will most likely see a decrease in the first dogs obedience. Basically they will both learn from each other, good and bad.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I clipped and filed my pups nails for the first time tonight with great success. He crashed hard after our nightly walk and moved in. I covered him with a bath towel so he couldn't see what I was doing if he woke up. I started slow and gentle making sure not to clip too much and he never budged. He'll wake up with a full pedicure and have no idea.

My wife liked it so much she asked me to do hers. I offered her a treat and told her to kennel but she just glared at me.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Ok real talk for a second. My dog was 100% house broken for a little there and now he's pissing all over the place even after I take him out. I know he can hold his bladder. Is it some form of defiance? 9 mo. Cocker

And I don't mean like UTI accidental piss it's pretty deliberate. Spiteful little poo poo

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

EXTREME INSERTION posted:

Thanks for the input! Another quick question, do you think your dogs stay more active playing with each other than they would on their own? Pax Does like to eat, so any extra sources of exercise would be welcome

Not really. They'll occasionally get the zoomies and chase each other around the house for 5-10 minutes but they spend most of the day sleeping.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Ok real talk for a second. My dog was 100% house broken for a little there and now he's pissing all over the place even after I take him out. I know he can hold his bladder. Is it some form of defiance? 9 mo. Cocker

And I don't mean like UTI accidental piss it's pretty deliberate. Spiteful little poo poo

Don't most dogs hit a defiant shithead phase as they approach 10-12 months?

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Don't most dogs hit a defiant shithead phase as they approach 10-12 months?

That's something that the trainer warned me about with Bailey. So basically dogs also have a span of time where they go "you're not my REAL dad!" before storming off to their room to write bad poetry.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Not likely defiance. Make sure he's healthy (UTIs, etc) and then go back to puppy housebreaking 101 with him. Gates. Crates. Frequent and predictable opportunities to pee, etc.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

So, Bailey's back from the vet and recovering from her surgery - if she doesn't seem to be in pain I shouldn't worry about giving her the pain pills, right? The anti-inflammatory stuff she's getting, I'm talking about the tramadol. The vet tech said that I didn't need to give it to her if she didn't seem to need it, I'm just not sure how the hell I can tell if she needs it or not.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Honestly for at least the first couple days you should just give it 'round the clock as allowed. The goal in medicine is to address pain before it becomes an issue. Because then you get riled up, stressed, it affects your healing, etc. you should never hoard pain medications for "just when you need it" imo

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Honestly for at least the first couple days you should just give it 'round the clock as allowed. The goal in medicine is to address pain before it becomes an issue. Because then you get riled up, stressed, it affects your healing, etc. you should never hoard pain medications for "just when you need it" imo

That does seem to be the general consensus with some other folks I've talked to, and I'll be following the prescription for the first several days following surgery - the question was more for later on in the week. That said, I'll probably keep on giving them to her until they run out, lord knows she's earned it.

Besides, it's not like I'm going to be popping the stuff, might as well let her get full use out of it.

EllisD
Mar 14, 2004

WHAT IS THIS BULLSHIT!?
e; nm

EllisD fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Oct 18, 2015

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

citybeatnik posted:

That does seem to be the general consensus with some other folks I've talked to, and I'll be following the prescription for the first several days following surgery - the question was more for later on in the week. That said, I'll probably keep on giving them to her until they run out, lord knows she's earned it.

Besides, it's not like I'm going to be popping the stuff, might as well let her get full use out of it.

I'd follow whatever your vet says about the meds the next week too. Better keep ahead of the pain, especially in our pets. Use it all, as directed, IMO.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
So I live in the UK, and was thinking about maybe getting a dog. It's a long way off, and I plan to do a lot more research before then, but I did have one simple question - what's a typical price for a popular breed (like, say, a Labrador) from a respectable, ethical breeder? Not that I was particularly planning on getting a Lab, I'm just trying to calibrate my expectations on what sort of price is expensive and what's (suspiciously) cheap, and they seemed like a good average.

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
Pax is forgetting his training and jumped up on a lady :(

Which is making me wonder why I took him to obedience school as a pup in the first place

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

Pax is forgetting his training and jumped up on a lady :(

Which is making me wonder why I took him to obedience school as a pup in the first place

Because dog training is a lifelong process and if you're not actively working on a behaviour, it's degrading.

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

a life less posted:

Because dog training is a lifelong process and if you're not actively working on a behaviour, it's degrading.

Yeah, I know, it's just really frustrating that he had it down pretty well and then suddenly "forgot" it over the course of like a week. I think I may need to sign up for a people greetings refresher as he gets older- I'm happy I have such a friendly and not-shy dog, but he just needs to learn not to get over excited when he greets people. I guess it may come with age a bit

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
I think what also may have really messed the process up was that some of my friends and guests let him jump on them and sort of encourage it...which means that I need to stay one step ahead of him again and block them until he sits

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax

I think what also may have really messed the process up was that some of my friends and guests let him jump on them and sort of encourage it...which means that I need to stay one step ahead of him again and block them until he sits

that makes it really, really hard to break them of it. my friends all encourage my dogs to jump no matter how many times i ask them not to and it loving sucks

Darth Walrus posted:

So I live in the UK, and was thinking about maybe getting a dog. It's a long way off, and I plan to do a lot more research before then, but I did have one simple question - what's a typical price for a popular breed (like, say, a Labrador) from a respectable, ethical breeder? Not that I was particularly planning on getting a Lab, I'm just trying to calibrate my expectations on what sort of price is expensive and what's (suspiciously) cheap, and they seemed like a good average.

i dunno about the uk but i'd expect to pay between $1200 - $2000 for a nicely bred puppy.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

One of my friends started feeding one of my dogs off of her fork at the dinner table. :psyduck:

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:
Pinch her and tell her "NO"

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I'm trying to teach Stan to greet people by sitting down first. Since he's a puppy he gets a lot of attention everywhere we go so when I see someone get all mushy and start to walk over I ask them if they can give him a sit command before giving him attention. It works most of the time but he's young so it isn't 100% yet. This way, he'll approach people in a non confrontational manner. Since he will be a big dog and capable of jumping as an adult, I want him to tackle this before he gets there. Not everyone is a dog person, especially large dogs so if he can approach people in a seated position, its better for everyone.

Even more difficult than training dogs ... training humans.

Oh and story from yesterday, we come across a husky puppy thats about Stans age. They let their dog approach and play without asking permission and invaded our space, only asking for permission after they were sniffing. It started off okay. They start playing and the husky grabs a hold of Stans lip, starts thrashing it and won't let him go. His owner instinctively said "oh they're just playing, hes fine" as blood was coming off the lip of my dog. At this point stan was on the ground trying to get away and crying. The husky wasn't letting up at all. Lip and ear had been bitten, the bite drew blood but nothing serious. I had to grab the collar of said husky and pull him off since the owner did nothing.

Verman fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Oct 20, 2015

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Lost two cats to cancer this year. Done my grieving, but really miss having a fuzzy buddy around the house. Thinking about getting another cat and maybe a Boston Terrier as I've heard they're good with cats.

I'd be a first time dog owner, though I've watched my mom's shih-tzus several times and we got along fine. Any advice or input about Boston Terriers in particular, or puppy / kitten households generally?

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

regulargonzalez posted:

Lost two cats to cancer this year. Done my grieving, but really miss having a fuzzy buddy around the house. Thinking about getting another cat and maybe a Boston Terrier as I've heard they're good with cats.

I'd be a first time dog owner, though I've watched my mom's shih-tzus several times and we got along fine. Any advice or input about Boston Terriers in particular, or puppy / kitten households generally?

I'm sorry for your loss, that must be tough. Make sure you have high ground for the cats to escape to if they've had enough

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

So two things:

1. My dog is a picky eater but my roommate's dog is not. Their food is separate, but his dog eats all of my dog's food before my dog can get to it. It doesn't help that my dog is a Yorkie and his dog is an English Mastiff, so his half cup is gone in a couple bites. Is there a way we can make sure only my dog can eat his food? I don't want him starving.

2. What the gently caress is my dog doing when he does this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6KMomk4oh4

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

KillHour posted:

So two things:

1. My dog is a picky eater but my roommate's dog is not. Their food is separate, but his dog eats all of my dog's food before my dog can get to it. It doesn't help that my dog is a Yorkie and his dog is an English Mastiff, so his half cup is gone in a couple bites. Is there a way we can make sure only my dog can eat his food? I don't want him starving.

2. What the gently caress is my dog doing when he does this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6KMomk4oh4

I keep my dog out of my cat food by feeding the cats in their carriers.

Same theory would work with yorkie in a small carrier/crate.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

That's genius! I don't know if he would go in a carrier to eat... never had one for him. May as well give it a shot.

Any idea what's up with him trying to smear his face on the floor?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

KillHour posted:

Any idea what's up with him trying to smear his face on the floor?

He's trying to "bury" the food in the blanket. Thor does that too. Probably your dog has learned that the other dog steals his food and is trying to protect it by burying it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Huh. That explains why he keeps trying to get the bowl under the towel. Thanks.