Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Sekenr posted:

Good old Witcher, of course there has to be the same loving thing. Had the misfortune of having a drink at the wedding and now the drunk effect won't go away. Way to ruin your own game with one simple solution, CDPR.

Was this on PC? Because it went away like instantly for me. AND I DRANK ALL THE BOOZE

ymgve posted:

Another thing I noted about 1.10/DLC performance - loading times seems much longer now, especially fast traveling within the same region (This is on a PC with a SSD)

Yea I thought it was just me, but they definitely seem longer than before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Charlie Brown posted:

I've came across a few untranslated crafting things, I'm assuming they'll be decent.

If you go talk to the merchant outside the Runecraft guy (his related quest should pop up when you first load up the DLC) you can get the quest relating to those - they're level 38 and slightly better than the top of the line Witcher gear from the base-game (and have a related achievement I believe).

elpaganoescapa
Aug 13, 2014
DLC is awesome so far but it gave me a lot of weird graphical bugs. Like it will randomly switch focus during cutscenes and normal gameplay and now when I go to the inventory there's a black square behind Geralt that blocks all the stuff at the top of the screen like weight carried and all that. Also it seems to me like the framerate dropped a little.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Jesus Christ, the Iris's Fear boss. Even with the alternative control scheme the last part of that fight is an infuriating bitch.

I like the design of a lot of the DLC bosses, but the controls still aren't quite sharp enough to prevent some bullshit deaths.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

PantsBandit posted:

I actually found the Yrden secondary to be the strongest of the signs. It lasts a long time, does decent damage, and almost always makes enemies flinch on hit.

Oh and it's super useful against flying enemies too.

Quen overall is pretty broken. Regain chunks of health by being attacked, 25% damage reflect, splash damage and knockdown chance when pierced. Max out intensity and it's very nicely op.

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

This is the best kitchen ever.

Bugblatter posted:

Jesus Christ, the Iris's Fear boss. Even with the alternative control scheme the last part of that fight is an infuriating bitch.

I like the design of a lot of the DLC bosses, but the controls still aren't quite sharp enough to prevent some bullshit deaths.

Caretaker was much, much worse.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

StoneOfShame posted:

I was killed by Caretaker 3-4 times before I realized that he was healing by killing the little ghost dudes. I felt like an idiot but once I figured that out I just used a combination of bombs to kill the ghosts and just staying up in his grill and staggering him when he tries to focus on them instead of Geralt and killed him the first try (that I actually knew what was going on)

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
I wonder if they will continue expanding Velen in the next expansion or if will be exclusively Toussaint. There's still a lot of space that could be filled out in Velen.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

StoneOfShame posted:

Caretaker glitched out on the last stage for me. He summoned the dudes he heals from, but he and said dudes all just stood there while I took out the last chunk of his health.

Iris's Fear on the other hand I just quit after dying several times from the one hit strike at the end because Geralt dodged forward even though I was holding the directional stick in the correct direction. Was even being very disciplined and moving in that direction ahead of time to ensure the direction would be correct.

You can't have sludgy controls for the sake of realistic animation and Souls-lite punishing precision-demanding bosses at the same time, CDPR. I mean, you can obviously, it just sucks.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Wild Hunt cosplay, it looks absolutely amazing:

http://imgur.com/gallery/vcyEh

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

This is the best kitchen ever.

Bugblatter posted:

Caretaker glitched out on the last stage for me. He summoned the dudes he heals from, but he and said dudes all just stood there while I took out the last chunk of his health.

Iris's Fear on the other hand I just quit after dying several times from the one hit strike at the end because Geralt dodged forward even though I was holding the directional stick in the correct direction. Was even being very disciplined and moving in that direction ahead of time to ensure the direction would be correct.

You can't have sludgy controls for the sake of realistic animation and Souls-lite punishing precision-demanding bosses at the same time, CDPR. I mean, you can obviously, it just sucks.

I just parried him a lot and held on with a bit of swallow and quen, parrying was the easier than dodging and allowed more opportunity to counter.

420 Gank Mid posted:

I was killed by Caretaker 3-4 times before I realized that he was healing by killing the little ghost dudes. I felt like an idiot but once I figured that out I just used a combination of bombs to kill the ghosts and just staying up in his grill and staggering him when he tries to focus on them instead of Geralt and killed him the first try (that I actually knew what was going on)

I forgot bombs existed and it took me like 6 attempts untill I was quick as poo poo with killing his buddies. It was very painful.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Hoo boy, this game runs a lot worse on PS4 than it used to. Way more hiccups in the menus and I get a lot of loading during the dialog now.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

pik_d posted:

How close did they get to Ciri before she ported out of the convention? :ohdear:

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

You can take out all the Caretaker's snacks at once with Alt Aard.

Is anyone else having problems with some of the DLC trophies unlocking on PS4?

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Well, the wedding quest is hands down the highlight of the series.

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008

Swedish Horror posted:

The (minor HoS spoilers) wedding sequence is amazing. Everything about it is wonderful.

Just started this and holy crap it's Arkham Knight's Batman-Joker relationship, exactly.

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

pik_d posted:

Awesome.

Edit - I wonder why they went with a Wild Hunt trooper instead of the Navigator. (still awesome)

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

elpaganoescapa posted:

DLC is awesome so far but it gave me a lot of weird graphical bugs. Like it will randomly switch focus during cutscenes and normal gameplay and now when I go to the inventory there's a black square behind Geralt that blocks all the stuff at the top of the screen like weight carried and all that. Also it seems to me like the framerate dropped a little.

I had the same issue. I had to delete the install and redownload the entire game. Verifying didn't fix poo poo. Thankfully, it only took 2 hours and I told it to do it while I slept but still.

Anyways I finally finished Family Matters. What was that little imp thing all about?

Poolparty
Aug 18, 2013

Did you put in the circus merchant who is more interested in playing gwent than selling his wares?

Also the whole hostage negotiation scene was great.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

I finally bought Witcher 3 and started the prologue. I'm at some tavern asking about Yenn.

Before I get too far in this: are there any decisions to watch out for that mean you can't return to a place and you'll permanently miss out on some item that can't be found elsewhere?

I hate making choices that are irreversibly regrettable, especially when it comes to neato gear. Thanks, all.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

pmchem posted:

I finally bought Witcher 3 and started the prologue. I'm at some tavern asking about Yenn.

Before I get too far in this: are there any decisions to watch out for that mean you can't return to a place and you'll permanently miss out on some item that can't be found elsewhere?

I hate making choices that are irreversibly regrettable, especially when it comes to neato gear. Thanks, all.
Not for a good while. You can even go back to White Orchard to pick up poo poo later (particular herbs, Gwent cards, that kind of thing) if you want to get the story moving as well. Actually there might be only one area that you only get to access once. The island with the seven five dwarves.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I haven't gotten to the expansion stuff yet but for those who have read the comic that came with it: we all agree it's pretty dumb, right? I hope it's not canon to the games. It's really poorly written and seems like whoever did it worked on a really broad outline at best of what happened in TW2. (Vergen is suddenly a democracy, everyone knows Saskia is a dragon, Iorveth died on the way back to his home planet, Geralt is just kind of hanging out in the six months between games instead of looking for Yennefer, etc etc)

Also holy poo poo Saskia's tits. Holy poo poo. :stare:

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
Just finished the DLC, and I have to say overall I liked it even more than the main quest (I felt it went too far off the rails at the end). They did a good job painting Olgierd as an evil rear end in a top hat and they never really backed down on that while leaving you at the end of question what kind of person he'd have been without the pact, someone worth saving or not.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

The Sharmat posted:

Also holy poo poo Saskia's tits. Holy poo poo. :stare:

Is that in the comic? I certainly haven't found her in the game so far.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Riso posted:

Is that in the comic? I certainly haven't found her in the game so far.

In the comic she has crazy tits, even by comic standards.

EDIT: I suppose it's worth pointing out Dandelion is the narrator. We can pretend it's because of him. Or Philippa, somehow.

The Sharmat fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Oct 15, 2015

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Was this on PC? Because it went away like instantly for me. AND I DRANK ALL THE BOOZE

Yes and I found another dude with the same problem after yesterdays furious googling. So if you are on PC and still drunk in the morning - reload the save because console command doesn't work. Getting drunk again offers only temporary solution, Geralt sobers up but the effect returns after every cutscene or conversation.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Pierson posted:

I'm just about to start playing and how necessary are sidequests in this game? I heard that they actually give poo poo-all for exp and all you really get is gold, so I should just do the ones that sound interesting and skip ones that sound boring. That about right?
That's actually the worst thing you can do because there's no way to tell what a side quest develops into in this game, it's different than other RPGs in that regard. There were people in the thread who declined Dandelion's quest because it didn't sound that interesting and oh boy what a way to miss out.

pmchem posted:

When it comes to gear you can't miss out on much but also you won't care about 99% of unique gear in the game as the only thing that matters are the Witcher sets. The thing to remember is to collect everything with Dimeritium in its name and never sell it because you'll badly need that stuff to craft the final sets and it will cost a fortune to buy from the couple of merchants who sell it.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Sidequests are good, treasure hunts and points of interest should just be done when you feel like it. Even the actual sidequests though...there's so drat many of them, I'd think you'd get burned out trying to do every single one of them in a single game.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Apparently I forgot to loot the desk after the encounter with Menge. I didn't realize it could be looted, so I gave a key to the fat guy and geralt was like "idk what it goes to but he had this on him, lol"

whoops

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Apparently I forgot to loot the desk after the encounter with Menge. I didn't realize it could be looted, so I gave a key to the fat guy and geralt was like "idk what it goes to but he had this on him, lol"

The desk doesn't say what the key is for, you can only find out about that in dialog. It would tell you about Dandelion, but Djikstra will do that too.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

The Sharmat posted:

In the comic she has crazy tits, even by comic standards.

EDIT: I suppose it's worth pointing out Dandelion is the narrator. We can pretend it's because of him. Or Philippa, somehow.

Anyone got a picture of that?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Pyromancer posted:

The desk doesn't say what the key is for, you can only find out about that in dialog. It would tell you about Dandelion, but Djikstra will do that too.

I didn't do the fightout, I snuck out after doing the deed and burned the place to the ground. I wasn't able to ask that piece of dialogue because if you do it sets him off and causes combat.

edit: why does the narrator and dandelion have different voice actors, when the narrator is supposed to be dandelion??

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Riso posted:

Anyone got a picture of that?

It is in the "Hearts of Stone extras" folder in the main Witcher directory if you bought the expansion online.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

GreenBuckanneer posted:

edit: why does the narrator and dandelion have different voice actors, when the narrator is supposed to be dandelion??

The Narrator is supposed to be a much older Dandelion I think.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
It is, but even so, he doesn't sound like an older Dandelion. I actually thought he was Vesemir at first.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

Palpek posted:

When it comes to gear you can't miss out on much but also you won't care about 99% of unique gear in the game as the only thing that matters are the Witcher sets. The thing to remember is to collect everything with Dimeritium in its name and never sell it because you'll badly need that stuff to craft the final sets and it will cost a fortune to buy from the couple of merchants who sell it.
Yeah, the best source of dimeritium (I keep thinking it's pronounced dimaterium) is witch hunters (well, their shackles) and I was a bit short for the last tier so I decided in my wisdom the best place to get some more was to pick a fight with some random guards around Oxenfurt by casting signs around them. That's when I found out random guards are way up scaled (level 46).

I finished up selling some relic swords (but not before checking down if they could be broken down to dimerwhatsit) to raise the funds instead.

Pyromancer posted:

I got Menge to cough up that the loot was in Kovir which seemed vague to me but if you give that information plus the key to Dijsktra he's content with that. Also, don't worry about Triss being able to look after herself. That was pretty badass, actually.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Just did the very long wedding sequence that is the first of three things you get tasked with doing and everybody was right, it's just tremendous fun from start to finish.

Taking a moonlight stroll with Shani at the end of that and seeing everybody/everything that I'd encountered throughout the day was pretty cool too.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
DLC armor stuff :

So I found two pretty cool armor but none with the stats I'd like.

Ofieri armor: solid defense and good sign bonuses, light.
Viper school armor: very good defense nd that's all, medium.

Is there any new armor with melee or mixed offensive bonuses ?

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Goddamn, the boss fight at the end of Scenes of a Marriage is absolutely kicking my arse on Death March right now. My hand is aching so much that I physically can't finish it tonight. I'm getting about 3/4's of the way through and then getting one shotted because I get sloppy for a second. I'll crack it tomorrow, but bravo to whoever designed that fight, it's genuinely hard.
The caretaker was pretty easy once you figured out what was going on, it just took a long time to wear it down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

gently caress, super pissed to learn that you can't get the viper gear if you don't buy it the first time. I wanted to save my money for the auction and the game gave no indication that the vendor would disappear afterward. That doesn't happen for any of the other important diagrams and there's really no reason for her to, other than to dick over players.