Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Battlefront's package deals do up the initial investment but are a decent discount.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

e: ^ Command gives you every single patch for FREE! :smug:

2 years of periodic patches providing progress on your program purchase!

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

dtkozl posted:

It does have operations where you have a core force that if you do not keep alive you they are gone for good as well as ones where ammo is tracked and retained.

This bullshit resulted in one of my Abrams with yellow track damage losing said track about 200 meters into the next mission in Black Sea :argh:

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

uPen posted:

This would be pointless, it would just be a resting place for shattered Eastern front units. Norway being on the map at all is an artifact of the projection they're using, it not part of the game.

Right, except Hitler had a hardon for the idea that the allies would attack Norway and dedicated valuable men, naval power, earmarked costal defense resources, etc to defending Norway.

Personally, if you are going to have a garrison requirement at all for the Axis, in the Western Front, it seems only natural to include Norway (or just cut it off the map).

Depending on how the turn structure goes, with the addition of operation torch, Italy should be in the war more than 12 turns.

And while it turns out the Italian navy remained loyal to the king after the Armistice, it did not necessarily turn out that way--given some of the Italian armed forces defected to the Italian Social Republic.

Also, the armistice itself was not a sure thing on either side. Not only did it require a coup within the fascist leadership, the Allies thought very seriously of rejecting it altogether.

If I'm a more paradox minded version of Gary Grigsby, and believed in the use of events to flesh out the full possibilities of the war, I might have chosen to model that.

Even given the historical outcome the Germans tried very hard to neutralize the Italian fleet after the armistice (thus the sinking of the Roma) and to capture what was left of the Vichy fleet at Tulon during operation Lila--which was part of the German occupation of Vichy post operation husky.

As it turned out operation Lila failed and the French were able to scuttle their ships, but this was a close fought thing that was won because of a few minutes delay on the prt of the Germans.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

ZombieLenin posted:

Depending on how the turn structure goes, with the addition of operation torch, Italy should be in the war more than 12 turns.

Well, they did kinda surrender not long after Operation Husky IRL, and turns are weeklong in WitW.

But yeah, WitW isn't a very good game.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
WITE/WITW really barely touches on the political and very-high-level-strategic aspects of the war, which can create some really odd situations where you're not really sure who you're representing and just what you should be capable of and how the victory conditions really fit into the the bigger picture if you think about it too much.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Don't think to much about it. Just buy WitP instead.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Pharnakes posted:

Don't think to much about it. Just buy WitP instead.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
WITPAE, of course.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
re: WitW, I don't think you should be expecting any kind of detailed naval warfare aspects in a serious European WW1/WW2 land campaign game. Decisive naval battles are fought over a few hours, a few days at most. Major ground battles are fought over a timescale of several weeks to several months. You really don't want to play a War in the West/East game at War in the Pacific resolution level, and vice versa.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".
Regarding Combat Mission, I picked up Red Thunder as the Eastern Front is the most interesting to me, and am loving it thus far. I'm still getting used to the game, but for future reference, where's the best place to go to find multiplayer partners? And how does PBEM (or I guess the cool kids use Dropbox now?) work versus the old school PBEM that you'd find in SPWAW? One of the more convenient things I liked about SPWAW PBEM was that you could play 2-3 turns a day and not worry about having to coordinate hours at a time with your opponent.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Partners will either be official forums, other grog forums, or in here. We occasionally do goon-v-goon games where everyone gets assigned a squad and puts in orders to their team leader. Team leaders plot and then someone runs the turn. It's a loving [i]AWESOME/i] thing.

For PBEM, get H2HH (Head 2 Head Helper, I think it has a new name now) because it automates the process 100% and makes it EXTREMELY simple to use. If you and an opponent are both active and online you can get SEVERAL turns a day in. It's invaluable.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum

LogisticEarth posted:

Regarding Combat Mission, I picked up Red Thunder as the Eastern Front is the most interesting to me, and am loving it thus far. I'm still getting used to the game, but for future reference, where's the best place to go to find multiplayer partners? And how does PBEM (or I guess the cool kids use Dropbox now?) work versus the old school PBEM that you'd find in SPWAW? One of the more convenient things I liked about SPWAW PBEM was that you could play 2-3 turns a day and not worry about having to coordinate hours at a time with your opponent.

Use dropbox (turns are generally too big to be email attachments) and I get all my games over at http://www.theblitz.org/index.php

The blitz has turned out to be a good community. Solid dudes, most of them old, rarely do I get someone just dropping off the face of the earth or trying to game the system by tricking noobs into lovely quick battles. I generally just do the scenario of the month and you can always ask for a game. Like DM said use h2hh or cm helper (same thing, different versions I forget which is newer) and line up as many games as your schedule/interest cant stand.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

We occasionally do goon-v-goon games where everyone gets assigned a squad and puts in orders to their team leader. Team leaders plot and then someone runs the turn. It's a loving [i]AWESOME/i] thing.

This is the best thing you can do with pants on. We should have another match sometime.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

gradenko_2000 posted:

WITE/WITW really barely touches on the political and very-high-level-strategic aspects of the war, which can create some really odd situations where you're not really sure who you're representing and just what you should be capable of and how the victory conditions really fit into the the bigger picture if you think about it too much.

Apparently Decisive Campaigns: Barbarossa will be good at addressing these issues.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

I've watched each of the Combat Mission goon-vs-goon LPs but have somehow always missed grabbing a spot in one of them. Advertise here next time someone starts one!

Do Italy or Black Sea next

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Black Sea would be hilarious for a goon LP, especially if everyone's expectations on survivability are based on WW2 games.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
I found it a ton of work and super annoying to try and get goons to do what is needed to win but then im a stubborn rear end in a top hat with the charisma of a tree stump. it would be nice to play one as something low key maybe.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
Gah, and I just picked up Black Sea and everything......

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
What am I, 3-0 as high command in your cm thread grey? We should do an all star game at some point. Who is the biggest bastard.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

dtkozl posted:

What am I, 3-0 as high command in your cm thread grey? We should do an all star game at some point. Who is the biggest bastard.

He he he. Just do the proper officer thing of blaming your subordinates.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Grey, how did you earn your red text? I miss the immortal PACCOM avatar.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Drone posted:

Grey, how did you earn your red text? I miss the immortal PACCOM avatar.

Someone got mad about video wargames.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum

Grey Hunter posted:

He he he. Just do the proper officer thing of blaming your subordinates.

Since I always win that means it was all me and not my subs that meant the victory!

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."

dtkozl posted:

Since I always win that means it was all me and not my subs that meant the victory!

I think you'll find that I won your Combat Mission Tournament, making me the best Combat Mission player.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Regarding political stuff in DC : Barbarossa. I'd commented on how much more fun it is when your subordinates go and gently caress off to do their own thing in some games. He responded with this.

Cameron Harris posted:

Subordinates do indeed present obstacles within the game.

They don’t deliberately disobey orders but they will obstruct and obfuscate if your relationship with them is poor. The worse your relations are with your three Theatre Commanders, the more effort (PP) you have to put into making them do something.

Command friction is present and can see the Armies, and Panzergruppes, under each of your Theatre Commanders, gaining movement bonuses and penalties dependent, once again, on your relationship levels.

Additionally they’ll find ways of NOT providing Command Focus (gives advantages) to one of those new fangled Panzergruppes if you aren’t on speaking terms.

It goes both ways though. As the German Operational Commander you are subject to interference from above from both your immediate boss and Hitler. The degree and frequency of this depends on your relationships and the overall strategy you have chosen.

Stalin is a little different.

If you’ve got subordinate troubles you can, if you wish, have Commissar Khruschev pay them a visit. Problem resolution in the Red Army in ’41 was of a terminal nature.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Nenonen posted:

Black Sea would be hilarious for a goon LP, especially if everyone's expectations on survivability are based on WW2 games.

Despite being a bastard who dropped off the face of the internet this summer, I agree with this statement. Especially in the special hell that is goons managing other goons.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Seems like Battlefront is planning expansions for basically every Combat Mission game before coming back to Black Sea, so at this pace... 2-3 years until the first expansion? :smithicide:

Also something about upgrading the games (engine) to "4.0", paid patch of course...

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
I still have the roll20 map we used in the first red thunder goon vs goon game on my account somewhere, jukebox full of advance war/patriotic soviet songs and all :allears:

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Looks like the guys who made the old Hannibal single player game are making a Napoleon single player game.

http://www.slitherine.com/games/victory_glory_napoleon

I enjoyed Hannibal so hopefully this one is as good.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Asehujiko posted:

I still have the roll20 map we used in the first red thunder goon vs goon game on my account somewhere, jukebox full of advance war/patriotic soviet songs and all :allears:

panther_side_shot_on_an_is2.gif

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

panther_side_shot_on_an_is2.gif

The mathematical precision required to pull off that maneuver was so oddly fitting for the German team. Also a great lesson in how important morale is when dealing with actual human opponents!

e:

:allears:

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Panzeh posted:

Looks like the guys who made the old Hannibal single player game are making a Napoleon single player game.

Looks like it's a port of the boardgame Napoleon in Europe with a different title?

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Fintilgin posted:

Looks like it's a port of the boardgame Napoleon in Europe with a different title?

It's not, the same way Hannibal isn't a port of Hannibal:Rome vs Carthage despite having a similar theme.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Someone saying CM 4.0 made me try to look in to it. I'm an idiot for expecting their site to halfway function on a mobile device. Regardless, found a roadmap post on their forums and for anyone else like me who didn't know about it:

Their next family will be Battle Of the Bulge themed. Very little detail beyond timeframe (Oct-Jan 1944-45) and VERY basic unit details (US and Germany).

They're planning "Battle Packs" of scenarios and/or campaigns for existing games. First one is for CMBN and will tie the modules and vehicle packs together a little more.

They plan to start on FI's second module, "Gothic Line." This will take Italy through the end of the war.

Then they will start RT's first module. No details beyond, "The details are a little fuzzy at present, though it is safe to say it will be packed full of fun. Think winter combat and the inclusion of Waffen SS and LW forces not seen in Red Thunder." Hopefully the fun isn't limited to a $10 patch.

They haven't forgotten about Black Sea allegedly.

4.0: "Besides new content we are starting work on Upgrade 4.0 very soon. We aren't sure when it will be ready for release, or specifically what will be in it yet, though we do have a long list based on your suggestions, so no worries there. What I can say is we're focusing this Upgrade on long standing requests. I can think of one that was first suggested sometime around 1998."

Maybe this means they'll FINALLY fix their inexplicably unplayably poo poo performance! Unlikely though. Maybe it'll be a TacAI overhaul so it isn't a stupid piece of poo poo! Or maybe it's just AI in general so scenarios don't break after you know the scripting! The fact that they have very little idea themselves about what it'll contain is SUPER worrisome for a loving TEN DOLLAR PATCH!

"In semi-related news we're working hard on a new website, new store, and new Repository. It's been a while since we've overhauled these aspects of Battlefront and it's definitely time we did."

I just want their games to run well, I'll accept the terrible TacAI if I can just get 6030 FPS from my loving modern gaming rig.

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe she's born with it.
Maybe it's
cosmoline.

ruthless german efficiency :ghitler:

I'd be all over a new goon CM LP. I'd particularly like to see how all of the fancy modern stuff works in CMBS. This is probably wishful thinking on my part but are there actual on-map air units like helicopters, or just drones? I'd be all over having an air cav unit.

TehKeen fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Oct 15, 2015

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

Panzeh posted:

Oh this is fantastic! Last I heard the guy was working on another ancient era game so this comes completely out of left field for me.

The map looks straight-up awful, though. The art in general, really. Hopefully it's less offensive without jpeg compression.

e: oh it's not related to Hannibal: Rome & Carthage? I'm confused now. Makes sense though.

Alikchi fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Oct 15, 2015

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

TehKeen posted:

ruthless german efficiency :ghitler:

I'd be all over a new goon CM LP. I'd particularly like to see how all of the fancy modern stuff works in CMBS. This is probably wishful thinking on my part but are there actual on-map air units like helicopters, or just drones? I'd be all over having an air cav unit.

They're not on-map on-map, but they exist. They work like the Red Thunder air support, except super more modern and vicious.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

And on-map Tunguskas will make mince meat out of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Panzeh posted:

It's not, the same way Hannibal isn't a port of Hannibal:Rome vs Carthage despite having a similar theme.

Weird. The mini map literally says the title of the board game.