Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Desk Lamp posted:

Turning off Now on Tap should bring the swipe gesture back.

It does not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

madkapitolist posted:

Whats the best screen filtering solution? I am currently using llama lab's automate to dim my screen according to light detected but 0% is still too bright for night. I was using Lux but it was using significant battery and would interfere with installing apk's sometimes due to screen filtering.

What are some other solutions? The more automated the better. I am using a rooted moto x 2014 pure.

Weird. I've got the Verizon version of your phone (and a Nexus 4 before that) and I've been using Lux without ever seeing it in the battery monitor. The apk thing is a little annoying, especially since Lux us supposed to be a le to automatically pause for that, but how often are you really sideloading apps?

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

madkapitolist posted:

Whats the best screen filtering solution? I am currently using llama lab's automate to dim my screen according to light detected but 0% is still too bright for night. I was using Lux but it was using significant battery and would interfere with installing apk's sometimes due to screen filtering.

What are some other solutions? The more automated the better. I am using a rooted moto x 2014 pure.

Twilight is another one, never used any noticeable battery for me. Anything that changes the display like that will stop the install button from working, it's a security feature so a screen changing app couldn't conceal the button behind something else and trick you into pressing it.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

I had something similar with my N5 after the 6.0 MMS. Googling told me its Pushbullet. I uninstalled it and Mighty Text, rebooted, and I'm back in MMS business.

Here is a thread about it:

https://productforums.google.com/forum/m/#!topic/nexus/VW_L9kVVy8g

Ah! Makes sense that it's PushBullet, since it's my only other "texting" app. Bummer, I generally I really like the app.

Guess I'll uninstall for now. Thanks.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
For what it's worth, Reddit users with new Nexus devices (and screenshots to prove it) are saying that the devices have the wrist flick camera shortcut out of the box, but it's been disabled with an OTA. Sounds weird.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

FistEnergy posted:

For what it's worth, Reddit users with new Nexus devices (and screenshots to prove it) are saying that the devices have the wrist flick camera shortcut out of the box, but it's been disabled with an OTA. Sounds weird.

Well that would be lovely. Patent issue?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Red Warrior posted:

Well that would be lovely. Patent issue?

Just as easily possible that google just broke something by accident. I mean, it is google after all....

Master Stur
Jun 13, 2008

chasin' tail
Anyone know what's up with a phone's reported available storage being less than it should by a decent amount? Mine's off by 1.5GB and a factory reset didn't help :shrug:

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Master Stur posted:

Anyone know what's up with a phone's reported available storage being less than it should by a decent amount? Mine's off by 1.5GB and a factory reset didn't help :shrug:

They advertise total storage on the phone and then the Android install takes up some space, so you're left with Total Storage - Operating System = What You Can Use

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Been setting up my 2015 Moto X the last few days and yeah ran into most of the already known issues....crackle notifications, battery life and heat but I'm gonna stick it out for at least the next year and hopefully longer. Phone was ordered and delivered in under 10 days in my chosen boring black/grey. I have had nothing but iphones since 2006 but my foray into android was started last year with a 2013 Nexus 7 tablet I bought used for $150 that I adore and still gets lots of use.

Gorgeous screen, although I agree it's pushing too many pixels at the expense of battery like a lot of android phones these days. I have every notification pretty much turned off and it still eats 8% just sleeping overnight compared to (sorry to be that guy) but my 2014 iPhone 6 will go from 77% to 76% overnight with notifications on whereas the MX will go from 97% - 89% overnight without the sim card even in it yet but yeah the Moto stuff on so I'll have to review that. I do see that most of the battery usage is obviously the screen 64% but also wifi at 23% but I assume if I have that disabled overnight it's just going to constantly search for T-Mobile's crappy signal (I'm 3 miles from a major highway where it's strong). Screen time this morning is 2 hrs and it's dropped from 89% down to 61% (now 60% because I just looked again) just poking around with the phone and checking email/awful and not watching videos/playing games, etc. I assume if i just let the phone lay around for 3 days it would be dead just like my Nexus 7 would be, meh. I'm not a gamer and usually watch videos on my other devices when traveling so I should be okay with the battery but I'll have to see how it does streaming music and using golfshot gps during a 5 hour round this Saturday - this usually hammers my iPhone from 99% down to 30%. I have a 7800 powerbank for a backup if I go camping and won't be near an outlet for a few days so hopefully that will work too.

The turbocharging works seemingly just like the Apple lightning in terms of topping the phone off from 60-100 in under 30 min.

I have T-Mobile so I really need the Band 12 and wifi calling stuff worked out and enabled in order for this to work long term.

I'm in $499 + California sales tax for the 64G version and another $60 for a 128G sd card so right around $600 all in.

Transition notes:

1. a combo of JRiver and Google music so far seems to be able to replace iTunes.
2. The $18.99 Amzn Fire premium headphones work perfectly (volume, pause, play, advance) on my Moto X as well as my co-workers Nexus 5 and LG G4.......only the pause/play was supported by my Nexus 7 though. They are perfect for non-sound isolating walk/talk use. Samsung S6 headphones only support pause/play.
3. I still need to test this on my car (2013 BMW) but there shouldn't be any issues.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Oct 15, 2015

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Noooooooooo, Clove UK just emailed me that they'll receive stock of the 5X two days later than first reported. :argh:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Keyser S0ze posted:

Gorgeous screen, although I agree it's pushing too many pixels at the expense of battery like a lot of android phones these days. I have every notification pretty much turned off and it still eats 8% just sleeping overnight

Huh. Mine only loses about 2.5% overnight, sometimes less.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Only had it 3 days so maybe it will improve or I'll find more poo poo to disable.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yeah, it takes a few days for google services to get settled in on a device.

I'm finding I'm able to use my phone all day, let it sit overnight without plugging it in, plug it in first thing in the morning, and the turbocharging has it to 100% before I walk out the door.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I should just order the Nexus 5x and not wait for in depth reviews, right.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

FogHelmut posted:

I'm in the same position for the 6P.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
The only trainwreck of a Nexus phone was the Verizon Galaxy Nexus so I'd say you're pretty safe just ordering it.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Hot new deal from OnePlus: Trade in your brand new Samsung flagship for a OnePlus 2!

quote:

The OnePlus marketing team is at it again with another, well, interesting offer. The company is currently running a contest — yes, a contest — that gives those interested a chance at the opportunity to trade in their recent Samsung flagship phone for a OnePlus 2. Yes, you read that right: You can enter for a chance to trade in your Samsung flagship for a device that costs half as much and has a more limited feature set. To cap things off, only 50 people will get to take advantage of this wondrous opportunity.

:master:

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
They're coming out with a newer phone soon too, aren't they? Are people that stupid? Obviously they must be.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

FogHelmut posted:

At this point you'll probably have in-depth reviews before the device is shipped. Google also has a 14 day return policy

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I had a non-Verizon Galaxy Nexus, and it while it functioned fine, it was pretty lacking in the screen and camera.

gariig posted:

At this point you'll probably have in-depth reviews before the device is shipped. Google also has a 14 day return policy

What is the current ship date?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

^^^ I had a sprint galnex. Was happy with it aside from the lovely coverage, and resulting lovely battery life. Then I dropped it, cracked the screen, and a week later got tired of running my thumbs over broken glass.

FogHelmut posted:

That's what I did this morning. I literally got out of the shower and walked straight to the computer room and ordered.

And if Halo 5 had any split screen at all I'd have gotten an xbone too.

I love gadgets and have poor impulse control.

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Oct 15, 2015

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

OnePlus is brilliant at coming up with all these stupid ways to get people phones other than just selling it to them

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

FogHelmut posted:

What is the current ship date?

Looks like the 5x has better availability. Looks like you are looking at a week for delivery. You still get the 14 day return. The 6p is like a month out

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Blue Footed Booby posted:

^^^ I had a sprint galnex. Was happy with it aside from the lovely coverage, and resulting lovely battery life. Then I dropped it, cracked the screen, and a week later got tired of running my thumbs over broken glass.

That's what I did this morning. I literally got out of the shower and walked straight to the computer room and ordered.

And if Halo 5 had any split screen at all I'd have gotten an xbone too.

I love gadgets and have poor impulse control.

I'm just not seeing any good alternative in the price range. There is the Moto X but I'm pretty ambivalent based on their history of software updates.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Keyser S0ze posted:

The turbocharging works seemingly just like the Apple lightning in terms of topping the phone off from 60-100 in under 30 min.

You see the turbocharging benefit more when starting at near empty.

Master Stur
Jun 13, 2008

chasin' tail

FogHelmut posted:

They advertise total storage on the phone and then the Android install takes up some space, so you're left with Total Storage - Operating System = What You Can Use

No I already know I can only use 9.5G of the 16. The available is still 1.5G less than the 9.5 minus apps/pics/cache/misc. I can't find a clear answer to this

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

I, too, was hoping for the chance to trade in my top of the line $800 investment for a broken chinese piece of poo poo

Isn't this, like, one of the classic examples of a scam? Up there with Nigerian princes?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Master Stur posted:

No I already know I can only use 9.5G of the 16. The available is still 1.5G less than the 9.5 minus apps/pics/cache/misc. I can't find a clear answer to this

New phones use F2FS for their /data partitions instead of EXT4. The used-even-when-empty space is essentially a block management reserve, and on top of the file table already being designed with NAND in mind it's a hell of a lot gentler on your phone's storage chip than other file systems.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007
I was having problems with SMS, and then not receiving MMS. Finally tracked down the issue; upgrading to Marshmallow seems to have changed a default APN setting I guess.

To fix:
Settings> Wireless & networks More...> Cellular networks> Access point names > click on default setting> Username> edit from "Not Set" to "None"> three dot in the upper menu> Save APN

That was seriously the whole loving problem, it seems.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
I'm still trying to eke out life of my Nexus 4 and lately I've noticed a problem. It can't maintain a stable connection to any 5ghz Wifi network. 2.4 is fine but 5ghz can't even handshake half the time and manages to top out at 0.30Mbit on a throughput test. This used to work fine but I can't remember when it changed, I just noticed recently. I've tried it with 2 different routers and no luck. Is the radio on this thing just going or is this a known issue?

Vimto
Sep 11, 2001
Manchester City F.C
Nexus 5x ready to collect tomorrow from the Carphone Warehouse.

:shlick:

Boywunda
Jun 25, 2003

After flashing Android 6.0 to my Nexus 5, I noticed something in Hangouts. Previously I had all of my Hangouts and SMS conversations in one view. Now, SMS and Hangouts conversations have separate views and I have to keep toggling back and forth. I even have the "Enable merged conversations" checked off.

Any ideas? Or is this expected?

Edit: NM, I found the issue, Under my SMS settings I had SMS as my default messaging account. Changing it to my Google account fixed this and properly merged conversations.

Boywunda fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Oct 15, 2015

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

Vimto posted:

Nexus 5x ready to collect tomorrow from the Carphone Warehouse.

:shlick:

My order has been marked as in production and card has now actually been charged, so they must be shipping US orders very soon.

Master Stur
Jun 13, 2008

chasin' tail

Sir Unimaginative posted:

New phones use F2FS for their /data partitions instead of EXT4. The used-even-when-empty space is essentially a block management reserve, and on top of the file table already being designed with NAND in mind it's a hell of a lot gentler on your phone's storage chip than other file systems.

Ah OK, thanks!

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

Master Stur posted:

Is it a Nexus you've recently used a factory image on? My N6 lost roughly that amount too, TWRP has a 'resize' option that fixed it.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

My G2 just went from getting full reception anywhere in the house to barely anything. Is there anything I can do to try to fix it, or do I have to see about warranty repair?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
First of all check if its just your phone, or affects other phones on the same provider

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

worst song, played on ugliest guitar
I'm tired of waiting for an android update to remedy this problem. About 50% of the time when I go to the 'desktop' of my tablet from an app, the wallpaper takes about a second to show up. Second generation Nexus 7.

It's a small thing, but it just makes the tablet feel so shabby. Is there a fix for this? In every other respect it's still chugging along fine and doing everything I need a tablet to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Just download more RAM.