Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Fried Chicken posted:

Yeah, I mean they are actively seizing territory again. Basically all the Bush actions have utterly failed

Is there a single thing from the Bush Years Republicans can honestly point to and say "Back when we lived in the palace."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

evilweasel posted:

Everyone in Washington DC knew the truth but as long as one party denies it the media wouldn't report the truth. Once McCarthy accidentally admitted it, then the media was free to say what they knew all along. It's why the worst gaffes in Washington are when you accidentally tell the truth: the media then gets to report on it as the truth instead of reporting on the controversy.

I really hate that convention of journalism. It's related to that interview that FC posted about the unwillingness to report that the Republican party is actually uniquely dysfunctional and not just "the other side".

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Fried Chicken posted:

Politico: Jeb Cuts Back

As always with this kind of story, the value isn't any fleeting bits of information, but in considering who wants this narrative out in the public. My guess is Rubio network, since it would have the same Florida people that bring out a lot of daggers here.

That said, one interesting tidbit of verifiable (and this possibly accurate) nature:

This loving clown dropped 4.8 million on ads in NH in the past 3 weeks, getting 60% of the political advertising. And in that time period he saw his polling average drop from 9% to 8.7%

The completely unsupported statement that they are having trouble covering daily expenses I don't believe, but it being out there will piss Mr ! off and he can eat poo poo

ahahaha he's so loving done

gotta hand it to trump, he absolutely destroyed jeb!s political career just pretty much just for fun

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Is there a single thing from the Bush Years Republicans can honestly point to and say "Back when we lived in the palace."

Their buddies got a whole hell of a lot wealthier and the poor people poorer.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

zoux posted:

I really hate that convention of journalism. It's related to that interview that FC posted about the unwillingness to report that the Republican party is actually uniquely dysfunctional and not just "the other side".

It absurdly annoying. I want to beat into young journalists heads that "both sides are not equal in weight and you don't have to pretend they are."

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Mr. Nice! posted:

Nah afghanistan is worse than it was before. Even still, we shouldn't waste another god drat dollar, minute, or life in that hellhole.

Meant more for US public though. If we are talking about other countries, yeah future generations in several states are pretty well hosed.

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

"He kept us safe"

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

It absurdly annoying. I want to beat into young journalists heads that "both sides are not equal in weight and you don't have to pretend they are."

Conservatives banged so hard and often about the liberal bias that they convinced journalism it was the case. They became so afraid of being called unfair they started giving equal time to all views, regardless.

It's part of the reason that debates are letting people polling at 2% participate.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

zoux posted:

A lot has to do with how effective the "liberal media" campaign was. Media outlets that leveled on who was full of poo poo - the Republicans - saw Republicans just decide they were biased and leave in droves for Fox and Fox built a media empire based on telling people what they want to hear. If you tell the truth about politics you're probably going to tick off 30-40% of your potential audience. If you report on the controversy, you piss off the much smaller number of people annoyed you're just being wishy-washy trash. If you just support one side all the time you may piss off 40-60% of your potential audience - but you always piss off the same people and get the ones you don't piss off on lockdown. While telling the truth you may piss everyone off eventually even if they're told they're right 80% of the time.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Where does CNN fall on the spectrum? I remember being like "yeah, CNN is a reliable source of information" for a hot minute when I was in high school, but weren't we all dumb in high school?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

They get paid like peanuts if they're lucky enough to get a job (and their industry is seriously contracting), they will write what the business model of their employer tells them to write.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Phone posted:

Where does CNN fall on the spectrum? I remember being like "yeah, CNN is a reliable source of information" for a hot minute when I was in high school, but weren't we all dumb in high school?

We never stopped being dumb.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Fried Chicken posted:

"Let's disrupt Washington & create a small recession inside DC so we can have economic prosperity outside of Washington" - Jeb Bush, yesterday

You know, there is just oh so much stupidity in this sentence, it astounds. The empty late stage capitalism buzzwords that are so meaningless yet he still manages to misuse. The delight in proposing devastating a city of 600,000 mostly black people (most of whom have nothing to do with the federal government) so he can advance his political agenda. Promising to create a recession when it's what his father and brother infamously did, harming generations. Treating a recession like a good thing because he and his are so insulated from the effects... Just so much stupidity as both a rhetorical choice, and that's without treating it like a policy proposal. It reminds me of the Chicago Tribune wishing for another Katrina to hit Chicago.

Apparently DC stepped on his foot once or something

A couple of months ago:

quote:

“This morning I was in Washington, Iowa. Washington, Iowa, is a little different than Washington, D.C. It’s pretty, the people there are hard-working, they don’t think that they’re the masters of people. It’s not the most prosperous place in the world, in the United States. Sadly, Washington, D.C., is. I don’t know if you know this — Washington, D.C., has the highest per capita income in the United States. Washington, D.C., has average home values of $800,000. Washington, D.C., doesn’t have unemployment. Washington, D.C., has federal workers making significantly more than the private sector workers for lifetime jobs. Washington truly believes that it is the master of us, rather than its servant. And the next president of the United States needs to reverse that trend and put it back where it should be which is our servant focused on doing fewer things, but doing them much, much better.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/fact-checker/wp/2015/06/19/jeb-bushs-slam-against-washington-dc/

Turns out he's not talking about DC, but whatever.

In news for people who paid attention to politics in the 90s:

Dennis Hastert expected to plead guilty

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

evilweasel posted:

A lot has to do with how effective the "liberal media" campaign was. Media outlets that leveled on who was full of poo poo - the Republicans - saw Republicans just decide they were biased and leave in droves for Fox and Fox built a media empire based on telling people what they want to hear. If you tell the truth about politics you're probably going to tick off 30-40% of your potential audience. If you report on the controversy, you piss off the much smaller number of people annoyed you're just being wishy-washy trash. If you just support one side all the time you may piss off 40-60% of your potential audience - but you always piss off the same people and get the ones you don't piss off on lockdown. While telling the truth you may piss everyone off eventually even if they're told they're right 80% of the time.

I don't even know if it's a correctable problem. Now that there is so much more choice in where you get your news, people can always choose, and will almost always choose, to stay in echo chambers rather than try to get a better read on an issue or topic. There's just never going to be the authoritative source or story again, at least not like it was when the media was limited to papers and the nightly news.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Phone posted:

CNN is tabloid news. It doesn't give a poo poo whose views they are expounding, as long as its flashy and gets eyeballs. And they're even terrible at that.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Phone posted:

It's bad.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Phone posted:

CNN is one of the major offenders of what we are talking about because they got their feelings hurt over being called the Clinton News Network back in the 90's.

Actually, CNN is always going to report what draws the most viewers, their ratings are their only content driver. That's why they've done more Trump stories than any other network and why they did 24 hour round the clock team coverage of the Malaysian plane search and why Nancy Grace, arguably the worst person in the world, will never have her show cancelled

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I still maintain that CNN is actively worse than Fox News because they're trying to emulate Fox News.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Inside their bubble it was an amazing success. If anything they are having a lot of trouble now because they are having to go outside their bubble and haven't reckoned with what it was like for everyone else

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Also, CNN invented the 24 hour news cycle. It's hard to blame them strictly for that because if they hadn't done it, someone probably would've but it is on their extensive catalog of sins.

Fried Chicken posted:

Inside their bubble it was an amazing success. If anything they are having a lot of trouble now because they are having to go outside their bubble and haven't reckoned with what it was like for everyone else

Watching Dick Cheney be constantly "ARE YOU ALL INSANE? AM I THE ONLY PERSON WHO CAN SEE THE TRUTH" is great.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Phone posted:

I still maintain that CNN is actively worse than Fox News because they're trying to emulate Fox News.

Your younger sibling only lit the toilet paper roll on fire because they didn't know any better.

The older just wanted attention.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

zoux posted:

Actually, CNN is always going to report what draws the most viewers, their ratings are their only content driver. That's why they've done more Trump stories than any other network and why they did 24 hour round the clock team coverage of the Malaysian plane search and why Nancy Grace, arguably the worst person in the world, will never have her show cancelled

This is what made me lose any sort of respect for CNN. I was at a conference in a hotel for a week right as this was going down, and the hotel had CNN on in their lobby 24/7. I saw the same stupid map "WHERE DID FLIGHT 370 GO??" over and over and over again. I did not see another sort of news reported.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Phone posted:

High school never ends.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

seiferguy posted:

This is what made me lose any sort of respect for CNN. I was at a conference in a hotel for a week right as this was going down, and the hotel had CNN on in their lobby 24/7. I saw the same stupid map "WHERE DID FLIGHT 370 GO??" over and over and over again. I did not see another sort of news reported.

They set five year ratings highs for their coverage.

But do you blame CNN for giving people what they want? Do journalists have a duty to report only on things they think are important, or should they just shotgun it and let the audience decide what they are interested in?

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
Holy balls

a weakness in the Diffie-Hellman key exchange has been found

Basically the rumors about the the NSA breaking a major encryption (and the claims by Russia earlier this year to have done so) are now probably true.

Basically a majority of all protected traffic are wide open to any state willing to make a relatively modest investment (for a government) since most VPNs and a lot of SSH/HTTPS servers use this method.

I suppose it is kind of inside baseball for IT security and SIGINT, but in that field this is the biggest bombshell to drop in years.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
CNN has S.E. Cupp and Mike Rogers on regularly as political analysts. Their presentation as a real news station actually makes them more offensive than Fox News.

NoEyedSquareGuy fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Oct 15, 2015

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

Hollismason posted:

This is very interesting supposed leak on Drone Warfare we are contacting. I really like the way their website is designed as well.

https://theintercept.com/drone-papers

Wish we had a be informed thread so I can find more websites like this.

I guess this is turning into a big story. I think most of it seems reasonable, specifically the decision making for drone strikes and the relative low quantity of drone strikes.

What the problem can be is when the system becomes unreasonable, like in 2017 if a Cheney-like person becomes the decision maker, disrupts the process and proceeds to amp everything up.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I know we constantly say "oh so-and-so candidate is just running for Fox News spot/book deal" but Ben Carson is suspending his campaign for two weeks to do a book tour.

Dudes who are seriously running for president who are polling second in the primary race do not suspend their campaigns.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Fried Chicken posted:

Holy balls

a weakness in the Diffie-Hellman key exchange has been found

Basically the rumors about the the NSA breaking a major encryption (and the claims by Russia earlier this year to have done so) are now probably true.

Basically a majority of all protected traffic are wide open to any state willing to make a relatively modest investment (for a government) since most VPNs and a lot of SSH/HTTPS servers use this method.

I suppose it is kind of inside baseball for IT security and SIGINT, but in that field this is the biggest bombshell to drop in years.

Thankfully the major roadblock is access to the computing power needed to do it, limiting it to Governments and large enterprise, but still a big uh-oh.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

evilweasel posted:

They get paid like peanuts if they're lucky enough to get a job (and their industry is seriously contracting), they will write what the business model of their employer tells them to write.

*waves Journalism degree*

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

zoux posted:

I know we constantly say "oh so-and-so candidate is just running for Fox News spot/book deal" but Ben Carson is suspending his campaign for two weeks to do a book tour.

Dudes who are seriously running for president who are polling second in the primary race do not suspend their campaigns.

"suspending my campaign" is the dumbest thing of all time, and I am so glad Obama burned the gently caress out of McCain for doing it

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
I think the problem with journalism isn't that networks pander to ill-educated audiences, but that the audiences themselves are ill-educated. The people who are interested (like those posting I this thread) can find more substantive reporting from the likes of al-jazeera, the intercept, the Guardian, etc than ever before. I don't really think that framework for good journalism for mass consumption by the uninformed can exist under capitalism, at least not for more than a generation or so.

Instead, focusing on teaching critical thinking, literary and cultural criticism and communication techniques should be part of every grade in school. Unfortunately, we are probably far beyond the point at which any of this is a realistic goal for reform.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

zoux posted:

But do you blame CNN for giving people what they want? Do journalists have a duty to report only on things they think are important, or should they just shotgun it and let the audience decide what they are interested in?

I think Tomorrow Never Dies probably got Ted Turner to thinking that rolling around the Pacific in a stealth boat to create crises wasn't too bad an idea.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Impermanent posted:

I think the problem with journalism isn't that networks pander to ill-educated audiences, but that the audiences themselves are ill-educated. The people who are interested (like those posting I this thread) can find more substantive reporting from the likes of al-jazeera, the intercept, the Guardian, etc than ever before.

The Guardian is kind of going downhill recently. After Alan Rusbridger left as chief editor they've had a lot of the good writers leave, and have been occasionally putting out tabloid nonsense like this story which blames hypnosis for the death of three students even though one of them died in a car accident. The reader base is good enough that they generally get called out for it in the comments section, but at this point it's not as reputable as it was a few years ago.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

The problem with journalism is it's a big corporate operation.

There isn't a liberal media bias, and there isn't even a conservative media bias, as such. Like Fox is unabashedly the PR wing of the Republican party, but it exists because there is a market for it. The problem is that, as Zoux said, CNN et al just surrendered on the "LEEEBRAL MEEDIA" bullshit because they worried too much about their bottom line.

Step one in being a good journalist is realizing that objectivity doesn't mean putting your fingers in your ears and pretending both people/sides are equivalent. My journalistic hero is Christiane Amanpour, who basically responded to criticism of bias by saying "journalists aren't robots." And it's like, we idolize Murrow, but he was most certainly not free from bias. But he was upfront about that, which is the point.

zoux posted:

I assume this is rhetorical, but I subscribe to gate-keeper theory, so its our job to filter information and give it appropriate treatment based on its relevance.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Hodgepodge posted:

Unironically this. Just to rub it in the face of Republicans.

e: man it sure sucks to have two debate the merit of these strong candidates fighting over our votes on record and policy oh well that trump sure is funny eh?

Democrats have 2 winners, Republicans have zero. Averages out to one per party, balance achieved!

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Dennis Hastert gonna plead guilty.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

zoux posted:

Particularly not when the #1 guy is more or less absolutely certain to start raking you over the coals within the hour about it on Twitter. The attacks almost literally write themselves here.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

The Guardian is kind of going downhill recently. After Alan Rusbridger left as chief editor they've had a lot of the good writers leave, and have been occasionally putting out tabloid nonsense like this story which blames hypnosis for the death of three students even though one of them died in a car accident. The reader base is good enough that they generally get called out for it in the comments section, but at this point it's not as reputable as it was a few years ago.

And Al-Jazeera has always been terrible in Arabic, and in English retooled itself quite severely after the Arab Spring and the like.

Basically someone saying "This media I watch is good and the other people are just dummies for watching Bad Media" are falling into the same trap that they notice with other people.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Fried Chicken posted:

"Let's disrupt Washington & create a small recession inside DC so we can have economic prosperity outside of Washington" - Jeb Bush, yesterday

You know, there is just oh so much stupidity in this sentence, it astounds. The empty late stage capitalism buzzwords that are so meaningless yet he still manages to misuse. The delight in proposing devastating a city of 600,000 mostly black people (most of whom have nothing to do with the federal government) so he can advance his political agenda. Promising to create a recession when it's what his father and brother infamously did, harming generations. Treating a recession like a good thing because he and his are so insulated from the effects... Just so much stupidity as both a rhetorical choice, and that's without treating it like a policy proposal. It reminds me of the Chicago Tribune wishing for another Katrina to hit Chicago.

It reads like it was written after an all-day back and forth between all his neoliberal donors via email and conference call, and none of them were happy with it but they needed something done by EOB.

I'm sure that's how all his tweets and statements are written, but this one seems extra obvious.

His puppeteers really have to be panicking by now. He was supposed to be neck and neck with Walker fighting for the top spot at this point but he's stuck in the high single digits, firmly in the middle of the pack, and not making any progress at all. Meanwhile an egomaniac joke candidate has held a commanding lead for months and a neurosurgeon who doesn't know poo poo about history or politics and just put his campaign on hold to sell books is right behind him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Shageletic posted:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/fact-checker/wp/2015/06/19/jeb-bushs-slam-against-washington-dc/

quote:

“This morning I was in Washington, Iowa. Washington, Iowa, is a little different than Washington, D.C. It’s pretty, the people there are hard-working, they don’t think that they’re the masters of people. It’s not the most prosperous place in the world, in the United States. Sadly, Washington, D.C., is. I don’t know if you know this — Washington, D.C., has the highest per capita income in the United States. Washington, D.C., has average home values of $800,000. Washington, D.C., doesn’t have unemployment. Washington, D.C., has federal workers making significantly more than the private sector workers for lifetime jobs. Washington truly believes that it is the master of us, rather than its servant. And the next president of the United States needs to reverse that trend and put it back where it should be which is our servant focused on doing fewer things, but doing them much, much better.”

public sector workers don't make nearly as much as their private sector (contractor) counterparts. like not even close. an ex of mine's uncle was a GS15, naval academy grad, worked at one of the alphabet natsec agencies in DC.

he 'retired' and immediately went to work for a contractor in NoVA making like $500,000.

• Locked thread