Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.

Eyud posted:

You should just replace all those words with "set your FOV to whatever you think looks good and have fun".

I think 180 looks pretty rad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

advion
Jul 25, 2005

tater_salad posted:

I really should buy a 1/2 off irscing sub but the start times always meant I was stressed getting kids to bed so I could race at a decent time.

So do the race after that?

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Eyud posted:

You should just replace all those words with "set your FOV to whatever you think looks good and have fun".

There is more to it than that.

Tony Montana fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Oct 15, 2015

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

GhostDog posted:

I also did the FOV section, can someone please tell me that what I've written makes sense? :)

It helped me a lot. Thanks.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
Please let fov chat die now, some people find it important and some dont, it's not an indicator of skill or maturity.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

advion posted:

So do the race after that?

But like job and stuff I think when I was doing trucks my choices were 10 or midnight..

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

GhostDog posted:

And a reminder that Patrick Giranthon is a SCE modding treasure and pretty much every track he converted to SCE in the last year or so is quality. Here's Road Atlanta: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUUStGeX0U4

Thanks for this by the way, I downloaded a bunch and have been driving the Super V8 all over them tonight. Good stuff.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

OhsH posted:

Please let fov chat die now, some people find it important and some dont, it's not an indicator of skill or maturity.

I don't know if I agree. Listening to people that have gone before you, using the recommendations of the technical people that designed the software and putting these things before your own ideas because you respect knowledge is both mature and a skill.

As I said last time this came up, you can drive around in first gear if you want too. But that just devolves into 'do what makes you feel good' which isn't much to discuss. An objective discussion about how to configure parts of the simulation for best results, in quantifiable medium like racing as opposed to other kinds of gaming, usually ends up with the recommended FOV settings are recommended for reasons.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
At the correct FOV (which I am currently using, 22-4* depending on seating position), I can't see jack poo poo from the cockpit on my 24" monitor, if I was planning on driving with other people you bet your rear end I would be using an unrealistic FOV.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Define what 'jack poo poo' is.

I can't see my tacho or much left or right at all with the correct FOV I use in iRacing. For many years I thought that was silly so pulled it back and sucked, getting incidents, misjudging braking and slides.. iRacing just seemed to be an impenetrable spergland that I just wasn't willing to commit to the time to get good enough to really compete.

FOV changed it all for me, now I'm used to it I'm getting the best results I've ever gotten.

I do drive with other people, with a system that counts every wheel you put wrong and I've never driven better than with a 45 degree FOV. I have buttons to look left and right and you don't even do that much anymore when you've got enough experience (and the spotting software helps) to know where another car is without having to stare at it.

Do whatever you like.. but when you want to focus in on a medium where it matters, I'm just expressing what made a huge difference for me. It just took me accepting that perhaps I didn't know what I was talking about and maybe these people that do it a lot do.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

I'm glad you found the FOV that works best for you. :)

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
I added a disclaimer to the FOV section:

quote:

This is a touchy subject because it goes into "let me tell you how to play this game right" territory. Just consider this my personal opinion, you're obviously free to play the game the way you see fit.

I'll leave it at that.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

The PC Sim Racing Thread - FOV and physics

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Did we even have a physics slapfight yet? Maybe we should start one just to get it out of the way?

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Tony Montana posted:

190E Evo 2 cockpit at 23*, I had to verify that was indeed as far back as I could go without clipping through the headrest. Works just fine for driving, you could even say it's pretty correct; I also can't see anything at all around me and looking right and left shows me seat/metal.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Is that 23 FOV? Okay, if you have to go that low you can't even see cars that are practically in front of you it's time to fudge the numbers a bit. And look into ways to get the monitor closer.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

365 Nog Hogger posted:

At the correct FOV (which I am currently using, 22-4* depending on seating position), I can't see jack poo poo from the cockpit on my 24" monitor, if I was planning on driving with other people you bet your rear end I would be using an unrealistic FOV.
Yeah, I feel like having the technically accurate FoV with a small monitor is kind of a bad situation because you end up with so little peripheral vision and looking around can be distracting (with a controller, not sure if it'd be better or worse with a wheel to reach for a button) as you're trying to focus on driving.

In fact, if you watch the Emptybox video, he explicit states that his theoretically correct calls for 55 (or thereabouts) degrees, but he uses a 65 (or thereabouts) because it is a decent compromise between :rice: speed thanks to to distant objects wrapping (90 degrees) and forced tunnel vision (see a couple posts back). As long as you don't have it ridiculously unrealistic so you can see straight out the side window while looking straight ahead on a single monitor, you're probably not completely ruining your potential even if you might be able to do a bit better (at the potential cost of it feeling right, even if it technically is).

It's nice to have a section there as reference for people who are interested in messing with it to at least see their theoretical and then work towards something that feels good.

SealHammer
Jul 4, 2010
Click to understand my bad faith posting.

Tony Montana posted:

I can't see my tacho or much left or right at all with the correct FOV I use in iRacing. For many years I thought that was silly so pulled it back and sucked, getting incidents, misjudging braking and slides.. iRacing just seemed to be an impenetrable spergland that I just wasn't willing to commit to the time to get good enough to really compete.

FOV changed it all for me, now I'm used to it I'm getting the best results I've ever gotten.

I do drive with other people, with a system that counts every wheel you put wrong and I've never driven better than with a 45 degree FOV. I have buttons to look left and right and you don't even do that much anymore when you've got enough experience (and the spotting software helps) to know where another car is without having to stare at it.

Do whatever you like.. but when you want to focus in on a medium where it matters, I'm just expressing what made a huge difference for me. It just took me accepting that perhaps I didn't know what I was talking about and maybe these people that do it a lot do.

you sound like the kind of guy who'd get mad when he gets beaten by someone who uses an xbox controller

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Hehe, yeah come to iRacing with an xbox controller. That'll work out just great.

SealHammer
Jul 4, 2010
Click to understand my bad faith posting.

Tony Montana posted:

Hehe, yeah come to iRacing with an xbox controller. That'll work out just great.

If you can win a race with a phone, you can win a race with a gamepad, yeah?

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

365 Nog Hogger posted:

190E Evo 2 cockpit at 23*, I had to verify that was indeed as far back as I could go without clipping through the headrest. Works just fine for driving, you could even say it's pretty correct; I also can't see anything at all around me and looking right and left shows me seat/metal.

drat they sacked Fernando Alonso already? :D

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

SealHammer posted:

If you can win a race with a phone, you can win a race with a gamepad, yeah?

Really? hehe I'd like to see that, you got a link or something? We're not talking about an oval are we?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

GhostDog posted:

Did we even have a physics slapfight yet? Maybe we should start one just to get it out of the way?

Inside Sim Racing put up a video of the new expansion for The Crew because Ubisoft invited them to a press day for it and the comments on that video are amazing. I'm still annoyed that "Outside Sim Racing" isn't the highest rated comment.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
I guess with enough persistance you can control a car with just about anything. Or at least a sim car where you don't have to deal with bumping around at 160mph and 2g while operating sensitive devices.

On that note: http://www.virtualr.net/mouth-controlled-sim-racing-using-quadstick-video

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

It's worth a look to occasionally pop into iRacing's 'iRacers with Physical Challenges' subforum and check out some of the stuff they've hacked together to let them race. Like wheels with the shifter paddles modified to be analog paddles to function as accelerate and brake for people in wheelchairs. There was a video floating around a while back of a dude who had muscle problems in his left arm and somehow managed to find a setup that worked well enough for him to race in top splits.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
When your monitor is across the room then yeah, you can't really see anything

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Dream Pack 2: Much less dreamy
I spent the $7.99 despite only really being interested in the Countach. It sounds nice. That's my review. :effort:

Cojawfee posted:

When your monitor is across the room then yeah, you can't really see anything

It's 30-32 inches away but ok.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
On FOV can we all just agree on these two things:
  • There is a "correct" FOV setting which produces the most accurate image for your screen size and seating position.
  • There is a minimum useful FOV, below which the loss in ability to see around your vehicle outweighs the distortions caused by an inaccurate FOV setting.
If your seating and display situation allows for your "correct" FOV to be usefully large, it's probably best to at least try using that first. If not, do what feels like the best compromise.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I also like to ignore science and math and do things based on feelings.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

Norns posted:

I also like to ignore science and math and do things based on feelings.

Im glad sim racers are so loving serious aall the time

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Yes clearly I was being stone faced serious.

Of course it's okay to prefer one thing over the other. But a proper setup improves laptimes.

And why is anyone surprised by spurge posts in a thread where people spend 300 plus dollars on toy pedals.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
Because nobody can talk about fov without getting absurdly superior about the way they do it, me included

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

FOV will become irrelevant in 2016 when we are all giving ourselves nausea with our Rifts. :colbert:

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

xzzy posted:

FOV will become irrelevant in 2016 when we are all giving ourselves nausea with our Rifts. :colbert:

This is the good answer

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

i like to click on the button that says RACE then push pedals and steer with my bargain DFGT wheel.
Sometimes I beat the AI, sometimes they beat me.. Sometimes I beat some folks online.. othertimes i"m dead last..

But.. I have lotso fun.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

And I just spent 600 dollars on audio and pedal poo poo to make my setup super dumb.

We all have mental problems. It's cool.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Norns posted:

And I just spent 600 dollars on audio and pedal poo poo to make my setup super dumb.

We all have mental problems. It's cool.

:goonsay: my mental problem is far superior to yours :spergin:

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

xzzy posted:

Right on.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
BTW, the Porsche 911 GT3 Cup won the voting for SCE bonus car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?

GhostDog posted:

BTW, the Porsche 911 GT3 Cup won the voting for SCE bonus car.

:ughh:

Not surprised.

• Locked thread