Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Endless Mike posted:

I meant specifically in working with banks. That said, it's not like magnetic strips are particularly secure, so I doubt it's a significant decrease in security, and I really, really doubt they're dumping a whole lot of power such that it can be skimmed from any significant distance.. That said, Samsung Pay is also token-based. The base LoopPay tech I'm sure doesn't do that, but that's where working with the banks comes in.

Right, but I'm saying going to a bank to work with them is a much easier idea if your technology is slightly more secure than yelling across the room and hoping everyone forgot their pens.
Granted you need to get one part of your skimming apparatus within a few inches of the reader, but it's not hard to conceive of plausible items being left near them that seem inconspicuous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Khablam posted:

The slow adoption rates of any kind of credit card security in the US is bizarre to me. There are teens in France with credit cards, who could have been conceived on cheap wine paid for with chip+pin. Literally a generation behind.

Corporations in the US constantly bitch about the cost of upgrades, government is powerless to order any change because they're owned by the corporations, and the cost/benefit analysis still favors paying for a breech instead of fixes.

We're getting there, but yeah it's taken way too long. No one gives a poo poo about the average joe until it's time for an election, and even then it's just lip service.

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue

Endless Mike posted:

I have an Apple silicone case and it's not sticky at all nor was it ever. Maybe you should stop spilling syrup all over yours.

This has had me laughing hysterically to myself for hours now.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I played with an iPhone 6S display unit today and, unsurprisingly, someone has already managed to gently caress up 3D Touch so badly that there's a thumb-sized section of discolored pixels in the middle of the screen. How drat hard do you have to push for that to happen?

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue
I'm imagining some baby boomer guy in dad jeans mashing his finger into the screen with increasing frustration as nothing happens because he's not actually pressing anything which responds to force touch.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

TinTower posted:

The CurrentC alliance is loving hilarious.

"I know what the future of mobile payments is! QR codes!"

Besides, anyone saying "Oh, Apple Pay has totally failed" is kind of expecting Apple to only develop for American audiences. In countries with 21st century technology, Apple Pay adoption skyrocketed because the hardware is already there.

Actually, in Australia, where we've had chips for about 7 years, contactless has come standard on all new cards for about 3 years, and signatures stopped being accepted over a year ago, all the banks basically told Apple to gently caress off, because Apple Pay didn't do anything we weren't already doing, and they didn't want to pay apple's cut. Our government puts very strict limits on interchange fees, and is in the process of lowering them further, so they are much much lower than in the US.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Endless Mike posted:

I have an Apple silicone case and it's not sticky at all nor was it ever. Maybe you should stop spilling syrup all over yours.

We all know it's not syrup making it sticky.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Kazy posted:

There's practically nowhere in the US that takes chip cards, even though the deadline was last month.

Where do you shop? Literally every place around here takes them, even the lil stores. And I live in the boonies

Sandwich Fight
Oct 11, 2004

Explosion

Croc Monster posted:

I'm imagining some baby boomer guy in dad jeans mashing his finger into the screen with increasing frustration as nothing happens because he's not actually pressing anything which responds to force touch.

I checked out all the Live Photos some dad took on the best guy display model and it was very creepy with the upward angle and look of confusion.
I can't seem to post it from Awful but maybe that's a good thing...

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Khablam posted:

ApplePay is token-based and very secure from the ground-up by design. LoopPay is broadcasting a faked-magstrip into the air which just sounds hilariously bad. There are multiple orders of magnitude of difference in the effective security, there.

The slow adoption rates of any kind of credit card security in the US is bizarre to me. There are teens in France with credit cards, who could have been conceived on cheap wine paid for with chip+pin. Literally a generation behind.

I think this article covers it pretty well, even some of the comments are smart. Some of them anyway:

http://www.economist.com/blogs/economist-explains/2014/10/economist-explains-18

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Rick posted:

I think this article covers it pretty well, even some of the comments are smart. Some of them anyway:

http://www.economist.com/blogs/economist-explains/2014/10/economist-explains-18

I've read similar before, but this doesn't explain why the directive to switch was given in 2014 and not 2000 like elsewhere. Simply saying "there was no legislation to change" doesn't explain why no one made such.
But anyway this is a needless aside.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Does anyone else have this issue where if you swipe to the search screen all the way to the left that it won't register swipes to go back to the right?

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

The Lord Bude posted:

Actually, in Australia, where we've had chips for about 7 years, contactless has come standard on all new cards for about 3 years, and signatures stopped being accepted over a year ago, all the banks basically told Apple to gently caress off, because Apple Pay didn't do anything we weren't already doing, and they didn't want to pay apple's cut. Our government puts very strict limits on interchange fees, and is in the process of lowering them further, so they are much much lower than in the US.

Well nothing about Australia matters because your internet sucks, digital prices are ridiculous and you might as well be stuck in 2004 forever.

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue

Sextro posted:

Well nothing about Australia matters because your internet sucks, digital prices are ridiculous and you might as well be stuck in 2004 forever.

And also because spiders.

gnrk
Apr 1, 2008
If I go into an Apple store to pick up a SIM-free phone, will they bother me about my carrier plan at all? Can I walk in, pay them money, and leave without activating anything or mentioning my carrier at all?

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

Put blue and red chicken in mouth plz
Speaking of Apple Pay, when are store-specific cards going to be supported? Mine can't be added yet.

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

Khablam posted:

I've read similar before, but this doesn't explain why the directive to switch was given in 2014 and not 2000 like elsewhere. Simply saying "there was no legislation to change" doesn't explain why no one made such.
But anyway this is a needless aside.

because america = land of the free (market), deregulation, market failures, etc.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

gnrk posted:

If I go into an Apple store to pick up a SIM-free phone, will they bother me about my carrier plan at all? Can I walk in, pay them money, and leave without activating anything or mentioning my carrier at all?
If you're buying outright, they'll take your money and let you walk off.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Why is my phone saying "Wi-Fi" in the status bar randomly? Is this something having to do with Wifi Calling or Wifi Assist? I hadn't noticed this until I enabled Wifi Calling, so I'm assuming it has something to do with that?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Yes, it just means Wifi calling is enabled.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

If you have wifi calling on it, it will say the carrier followed by Wifi when it's using wifi calling.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

SeANMcBAY posted:

Yes, it just means Wifi calling is enabled.

Any reason it would just randomly go on and off? I'm connected at work with a full signal, but only notice it says Wi-Fi a couple times a day.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Any reason it would just randomly go on and off? I'm connected at work with a full signal, but only notice it says Wi-Fi a couple times a day.

The wifi connection may not be stable enough. Mine has been doing that too ever since Comcast updated my router last week and turned it into a piece of poo poo.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

SeANMcBAY posted:

The wifi connection may not be stable enough. Mine has been doing that too ever since Comcast updated my router last week and turned it into a piece of poo poo.

Haha you use a Comcast router? Why...?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Because Comcast loooooves to pass the buck if you aren't using their hardware.

Oh DNS lookups started failing 30 minutes ago? Oh yeah that's your router, you should buy a new one from us. We can't help you until you do that.

Granted I still wouldn't use their router, but not all of us are going to be comfortable managing stuff like that.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

xzzy posted:

Because Comcast loooooves to pass the buck if you aren't using their hardware.

Oh DNS lookups started failing 30 minutes ago? Oh yeah that's your router, you should buy a new one from us. We can't help you until you do that.

Granted I still wouldn't use their router, but not all of us are going to be comfortable managing stuff like that.

I've never used a Comcast router, and only briefly used one of their modems in the past 10 years, and I've never had them refuse service because of it.

E: I think if you have their Xfinity X1 service, they require you to use their router. gently caress that.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Michael Scott posted:

Haha you use a Comcast router? Why...?

I actually bought this one (Motorola SBG6580), but Comcast can somehow push updates to it without my knowledge apparently.:(

To get back on topic, is it true that iOS 9 lets you install compiled apps without being registered to a dev account now? It would be cool to get GBA4IOS again.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

empty baggie posted:

E: I think if you have their Xfinity X1 service, they require you to use their router. gently caress that.

Nope, I have X1 and use my own router. Maybe some regions require it, not all areas have the same features enabled.

They do have a hard sell on their hardware though. They really, really want you to buy in on everything.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

SeANMcBAY posted:

I actually bought this one (Motorola SBG6580), but Comcast can somehow push updates to it without my knowledge apparently.:(

To get back on topic, is it true that iOS 9 lets you install compiled apps without being registered to a dev account now? It would be cool to get GBA4IOS again.

Kinda. You still need a dev account, but a free one will do.

Edit: except you do need the source and xcode 7. So not compiled. If there is another way, i'm curious.

Double Edit: \/ Comcast is terrible and their customer service shifty, I've heard it both ways when dealing with it in the same configuration from them, although each rep on their own has been consistent. I would doubt that they aren't rated in some way based on sales.

Grassy Knowles fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Oct 15, 2015

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
sorry to continue the derail but i have been told repeatedly that i must use the comcast combo modem/gateway (cisco dpc3941t) because i have their phone service (cheaper than not having it, lol). would rather be using the motorola sb6183 i was using before. fortunately it's not that bad, i just use my rtn66u as the AP (bridge mode on the cisco device barely works)

iphone content: had my first crash/reboot with the 6s today, while closing out the mail application. i try to avoid closing things as much as possible, guess i'll be avoiding it more now!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I actually had the hardest freeze I've ever had on iPhone last night: I was Airplaying music to my Apple TV, then decided to take a picture of my cat. Opening the camera completely froze the thing and I had to do a hard reset.

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue
So after you rebooted, did you take the cat picture?

:justpost:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Of course.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

SeANMcBAY posted:

https://github.com/jessemillar/GBA4iOS

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Thanks. Now I can play the best iOS game again, WarioWare: Twisted.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Welcome to the most popular issue among Android owners, who respond to every Google-led attempt to fix battery life with "eh, Facebook will just find a way to negate it."

I've found MLB's At Bat app sometimes does this, too. In MLB's case, the media player after watching a video continues to have media control (as detectable by the lockscreen controls showing up) and it drains your battery like nuts. Has to be fixed by force closing it from the task switcher.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
So thats what happens behind Facebook's vague rear end "Thanks for using Facebook! We made some improvements! See ya in two weeks!" update notes.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
I hope they do fix it, been using the website since the battery usage was egregious

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

WiFi calling only kicks in when the cellular signal is weak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

are you guys on facebook all the time or what? haven't noticed it turning my phone into a hot plate or anything..

just turn off background app refresh. i turned it off years ago and never quite noticed why it ever needed to run in the background