Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ReturnOfFable
Oct 9, 2012

No tears, only dreams.
So PewDiePie was on The Late Show With Stephen Colbert last night talking about his Youtube career and Let's Play. I did not see the whole thing but there is a two minute highlight on the Late Show Youtube channel if anyone is interested. If anyone actually saw the whole thing, how was it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pM21uQR6G_Q

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
It was actually kinda good. Very natural conversation, Colbert's pretty pleasant/open about the whole thing and a lot more engaged than I expected.
They showed some Pewdiepie footage and even though everyone was sorta laughing it's still kinda cringeworthy.
Although they played up the angle of "Let's Play is playing the game with your friend" a bit which I've never been a fan of.
Also here it is:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYjJVE3XfS8

HGH fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Oct 3, 2015

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

ReturnOfFable posted:

So PewDiePie was on The Late Show With Stephen Colbert last night

Colbert has my condolences and it's sad anyone gives that shitler any large attention.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.
He's perfectly tolerable when he isn't screeching over gameplay or interacting with fans.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

EricFate posted:

He's perfectly tolerable when he isn't screeching over gameplay or interacting with fans.

Too bad his fanbase is primarily idiots who think screeching rape jokes is funny.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

'The Let's player is totally tolerable when he's not doing his job'

Well, ok I guess

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

EricFate posted:

Do you have any examples to give? I've only ever seen him as PewDiePie, so I've only ever considered it not as a character, but as his real persona.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Yardbomb posted:

Colbert has my condolences and it's sad anyone gives that shitler any large attention.

Rude.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

Jamesman posted:

Do you have any examples to give? I've only ever seen him as PewDiePie, so I've only ever considered it not as a character, but as his real persona.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulDXrM5Lwnc&t=57s

Aside from the Colbert appearance, here's a reasonably good example.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Guys its just an act he puts on to get the views, god have you guys never seen Doug Walker (Nostalgia Critic) or Noah Antwiler (SpoonyOne)? It's just a big act!

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Leal posted:

Guys its just an act he puts on to get the views, god have you guys never seen Doug Walker (Nostalgia Critic) or Noah Antwiler (SpoonyOne)? It's just a big act!

It kinda is, though. That's the problem.

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
Jesus who cares what pewdiepie did this week. Complaining about him here ain't gonna make him go away.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Leal posted:

Except SpoonyOne isn't that much different from Noah for the most part so whenever Spoony says something stupid/bad people are never sure if it's a joke or not.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Except SpoonyOne isn't that much different from Noah for the most part so whenever Spoony says something stupid/bad people are never sure if it's a joke or not.

:thejoke:

"It's just a character" was the go-to for a long time on guys like Doug the Nostalgia Critic, then we get actual people who worked with him here to talk about it and they say no, he actually is pretty dumb and doesn't understand these simple things.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:
They are characters, but not in the way they'd like to be known.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

That was his point, Spoony and Doug Walker are the same in real life as their crazy hyped up characters are.

edit: Beat, but I do agree that Pewdiepie is pretty obviously putting on a show. It's a real lovely show, sure, but from some of his non-let's play videos on his channel and interviews like that, he is perfectly capable of acting like a real human being and I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt on that.

dreezy posted:

Jesus who cares what pewdiepie did this week. Complaining about him here ain't gonna make him go away.

but also this

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I feel bad for Spoony, a lot of people poo poo on him for having legit mental issues that he was seeking medical attention for :( I used to respect Phelous at the very least until he basically made fun of Spoony for being diagnosed as bipolar.

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Danaru posted:

I feel bad for Spoony, a lot of people poo poo on him for having legit mental issues that he was seeking medical attention for :( I used to respect Phelous at the very least until he basically made fun of Spoony for being diagnosed as bipolar.

North and South always fight. Results sometimes yield comedy.

ReturnOfFable
Oct 9, 2012

No tears, only dreams.

dreezy posted:

I don't know, it's another moment where Youtube and Let's Play culture meets mainstream television. I think that's worth discussing.

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

ReturnOfFable posted:

I don't know, it's another moment where Youtube and Let's Play culture meets mainstream television. I think that's worth discussing.

A discussion is one thing. Complaining about the screaming and rape jokes like a broken record is another.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

They'll always be valid complaints.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

dreezy posted:

A discussion is one thing. Complaining about the screaming and rape jokes like a broken record is another.
Eh, it doesn't stop people from bringing up DSP and his one note. But still it was cool to see that clip and it's still surprising to see Let's Plays mentioned in a vaguely positive light on a major network show; I'd say it's probably the thing I'd never expect to see but then I saw Letterman and Hatsune Miku together...and realized that Pew Die Pie maybe wasn't so out there to see.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Yardbomb posted:

They'll always be valid complaints.

You'll always be a horrible poster

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Suspicious Dish posted:

You'll always be a horrible poster

I'd like to think I'm mediocre at worst. :saddowns:

But on-topic, if you're in the mood for watching dudes play horror games of varying quality this month, Super Best Friends have started their annual Shitstorm of Scariness, playing a spooky game a day, with Layers of Fear and Alien Resurrection so far.

Also they just finished a playthrough of Until Dawn which also fits the mood so hey.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Oct 3, 2015

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Yardbomb posted:

I'd like to think I'm mediocre at worst. :saddowns:

But on-topic, if you're in the mood for watching dudes play horror games of varying quality this month, Super Best Friends have started their annual Shitstorm of Scariness, playing a spooky game a day, with Layers of Fear and Alien Resurrection so far.

Also they just finished a playthrough of Until Dawn which also fits the mood so hey.
Matt keeps talking poo poo about Jean-Pierre Jeunet. "Some French nobody" shut up Matt.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

Yardbomb posted:

Seriously, their Until Dawn LP is TBF at top form. Whether you've seen/played it or not, it's easily worth watching.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Niggurath posted:

Eh, it doesn't stop people from bringing up DSP and his one note. But still it was cool to see that clip and it's still surprising to see Let's Plays mentioned in a vaguely positive light on a major network show; I'd say it's probably the thing I'd never expect to see but then I saw Letterman and Hatsune Miku together...and realized that Pew Die Pie maybe wasn't so out there to see.

I recently heard BBC Radio talking about PDP and other Youtube celebrities. Their "person on the street" interview was actually spot on, since the person they found said "If you want to see the games played right, you should look elsewhere. PewDiePie and the others like him are really more about the personality."

Not that that's a revelation of any kind, but I was impressed that the BBC had caught on to the nuances.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Danaru posted:

Did Konami relax suddenly on their copyright rampage through youtube? They used to claim every video I put up, but they haven't claimed anything since Sept. 3rd.

A long while back but

And this was set to private when they claimed it.

E: Yet they left my prologue videos alone

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Not sure if this has been pointed out here, but the comments on this video help me remember why Youtube is terrible.

Cangelosi
Nov 17, 2004

"It's cute," he said to himself warily, "but it's not normal."

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

I recently heard BBC Radio talking about PDP and other Youtube celebrities. Their "person on the street" interview was actually spot on, since the person they found said "If you want to see the games played right, you should look elsewhere. PewDiePie and the others like him are really more about the personality."

Not that that's a revelation of any kind, but I was impressed that the BBC had caught on to the nuances.

I can imagine the BBC might have had trouble getting sound bites with their little radio crews running around willy nilly in London shouting "HEY HAVE YOU SEEN THIS PEWDIEPIE GUY YET? MISS! MISS! DO YOU KNOW PEWDIEPIE? HOW ABOUT YOU SIR? SIR? STOP RUNNING AWAY SIR! WE WANT TO TALK TO YOU ABOUT PEWDIEPIE! WHY DON'T YOU WANT TO TALK ABOUT PEWDIEPIE? HEY! HEY!"

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

cargohills posted:

Not sure if this has been pointed out here, but the comments on this video help me remember why Youtube is terrible.

But where else can I brag about my super Mario prowess that these idiot scrubs playing don't have. MAYBE THEY SHOULD TRY BEING GOOD.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Because you need lots of skill to SEIZE THE MOMENT

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Not really LP related but sort of related to the whole YouTuber discussion & stuff.

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1snlj3r

Totalbiscuit posted:

Well, I don't know if there is really a right way to tell people this, so I guess here goes. The CT did not come back negative. The cancer in the bowel is gone, but spots have appeared in my liver. They're not operable and there's no cure. Average life expectancy is 2-3 years, though there are outliers that live much longer. I'll be back on chemo in a few weeks, with the goal of pushing it back and keeping it there for as long as possible. I fully intend to be the outlier, the average is this way because most people that get this are old and not strong anymore. Who knows what they'll come up with in the next decade? I intend to beat it for as long as possible. Gonna need some time to process all of this. I don't really feel anything right now. Thanks.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

As much as an insufferable muppet he can be, that is terrible news and I hope for him he'll have some decent time left.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Unfunny Poster posted:

Not really LP related but sort of related to the whole YouTuber discussion & stuff.

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1snlj3r

gently caress, I don't like the dude but that sucks and I hope he beats the odds.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug
You don't have to qualify wishing someone well in fighting a dire prognosis.

If there's anything I've learned in my three-year friendship with John, it's that he's a fighter. I know he'll hang in and do what he can.

Dias posted:

May he live long enough to complain about 120fps.

Well okay, that one's pretty good.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Yeah, TB might be an insufferable idiot, but unoperable cancer in your 30s is something no one deserves. May he live long enough to complain about 120fps.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

A family member of mine died of bowel/liver cancer last year and it wasn't a good time. I don't like the dude or his opinions, or anything about him really but no human being deserves that and I hope he has a good support network because the next few months are gonna be super difficult for him.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dias posted:

Yeah, TB might be an insufferable idiot, but unoperable cancer in your 30s is something no one deserves. May he live long enough to complain about 120fps.

And FOV sliders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealSovietBear
Aug 14, 2013

Bears from Space
I hope he manages to beat this. Cancer at any age is terrifying, and having it in your 30s even more so. Just scrounging the will to fight it is hard enough.

• Locked thread