Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Yeah, you should def. be a hobbit IMO. Hobbit supremacy.

That being said I'm currently playing a beorning and they are pretty great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan
Well, it's decision time. Brandywine is up for transfers and that's where my main is. I wonder if I should go to Landroval now. I'd like to wind up where Nazgun goes so I can join up if I decide I really want to be in a kin, but I fear that Landroval will fill up and y'all will decide to go to Brandywine. Tough decision. Now of course, when I say "main" I mean lvl 30 minstrel, but still. That took a long time to get to and I'd rather not do it again - I'm finally starting to see some content I've never seen before...

Thoughts?

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
I am also on Brandywine and looking to move.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

They've already had to beef up Landroval to increase the server's capacity, and that was after just the two lowest population servers were allowed to transfer. If I were you guys, I'd wait to see if those of us on Silverlode are even able to move to Landroval before going there. They might close it down before we have the option.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Yeah my understanding is that transfers are going to be open for a while so it isn't like waiting will hurt you at all.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

They originally were going to end free transfers on October 1st but the timeline got pushed back quite a bit. They put out another update saying transfers off of closing worlds would remain free indefinitely so there's no need to rush to a decision.

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011
I've got characters I want to keep on Brandywine AND Silverlode, can I transfer both to one server (such as Landroval)?

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender

Haerc posted:

I've got characters I want to keep on Brandywine AND Silverlode, can I transfer both to one server (such as Landroval)?

Yes, they gave everyone an additional (3?) character slots, for a total of 8.

I'm not sure what to do if you have more than that.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

alucinor posted:

Yes, they gave everyone an additional (3?) character slots, for a total of 8.

I'm not sure what to do if you have more than that.

I think it was two, which still owns because I think that's like giving everyone who plays a free to play game 10 bucks worth of stuff.

As far as servers go, I hate to join in on the scare off new players with confusing concerns thing again but the transfers will keep going without much delay based on Frelorn's words, the hardware will come once the server code runs smoothly on it without complaints or hiccups. Long story short: Moving to Brandywine could involve waiting until Christmas, if Landroval blew up (RIP) then it would make the most sense to just go to Arkenstone or Gladden, all the remaining servers will have 3-5 times the players of Silverlode and be lots of fun. Brandywine will (even on brand new hardware) still be a whole lot of 15 year olds pvping on orcs going "i fukn ownt u fageT".

Also if any of you like watching stuff on twitch check out twitch.tv/bludborn, he's a cool dude with a level 100 of every class and Frelorn (community manager of the game) goes on there and drinks beers with him, leaks small amount of news about the game, and gives away 1000 turbine point codes several times a week. Just gotta follow him, wait for a giveaway, and type a keyword like !keyword or whatever he says to be entered each time.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Speaking of when does one enter the code in the new store? I don't want to accidentally buy something considering how limited my TP is.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

Arkenstone is the least populated of the 5 remaining servers so I'd prefer to not go there if Landroval closes. Gladden should be the backup IMO. Yes I know that all the remaining servers will have boosted populations, but I'd rather not go to the one that's likely to be the lowest pop going forward, it'll probably be the first to become a ghost town.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
Yeah, I'll second for Gladden. Goons want to move to a big, active server. If Landroval & Brandywine are out, that pretty much leaves Gladden as the preferred destination.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Goddamn it hobbits leave my goddamn pies alone jesus christ.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Landroval>Gladden>Brandywine would be the way to prioritize servers imo.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

I just came across some recent activity numbers that reflect the beginning of server transfers. Brandywine is #1 with over 100,000 weekly logins, no other server is even close. Gladden, Landroval, and Arkenstone are almost identical with around 60,000 logins each. Crickhollow is a ways behind those three. It looks like Arkenstone has seen the largest population jump so far which surprised me. It'll be interesting to see how this plays out when all servers can transfer, but it appears Crickhollow will be the lowest population server. I don't think that really changes anything, Landroval is still my preference because of its community. Gladden has had a pretty solid population for a while now.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
Arkenstone was chosen to be the new unofficial Oceanic server, so that's probably why it's seen such an increase in traffic.

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

PLEASE DO NOT BACKSEAT MODERATE

Evil Fluffy posted:

Landroval>Gladden>Brandywine would be the way to prioritize servers imo.

This is what was agreed upon like 5 pages ago...

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Dick Trauma posted:

Goddamn it hobbits leave my goddamn pies alone jesus christ.

Pies are their birth right.

Also my new favorite quote from the rangers of Ithilien in Eastern Gondor is "Seeing that pile of troll teeth raises my spirits."

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

Oxphocker posted:

This is what was agreed upon like 5 pages ago...

It wouldn't keep coming up if the question didn't get asked on nearly every page by people that don't want to read the thread :derp:

AskYourself
May 23, 2005
Donut is for Homer as Asking yourself is to ...
Hey DT I know you from the IT threads !

You are on silverlode ? What's you ign ?

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
This is one of the less important sales I've posted here but all cosmetics are 30% off for the weekend meaning probably until 3 AM eastern if anyone cares, if you're a dwarf Hauberk of the Mirrormere is really amazing looking. Other options are bare chested dwarf, and that one bloody bear head I don't remember the name of.

Bonby
Jan 13, 2008

Annoying Dog

extra stout posted:

This is one of the less important sales I've posted here but all cosmetics are 30% off for the weekend meaning probably until 3 AM eastern if anyone cares, if you're a dwarf Hauberk of the Mirrormere is really amazing looking. Other options are bare chested dwarf, and that one bloody bear head I don't remember the name of.

Hey I actually have a bunch of TP sitting there so I'm defo gonna check that out.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I had a bunch of TP, but then I bought, like, eleven character slots for reasons that escape me now.

Cnidario
Mar 22, 2013

Just transferred my all my toons from Brandywine to Landy. Looking forward to shooting the breeze with some goons.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

The Haunted Burrow did not fill me with seasonal joy. Doing the Inn Association initiation did however. At max drunk you can't even see walls as you run madly over hill and dale.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

Are there any decent new cosmetic items with the Fall Festival? That's the only reason I ever do festivals anymore, they're basically the same every year now.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

ruffz posted:

Are there any decent new cosmetic items with the Fall Festival? That's the only reason I ever do festivals anymore, they're basically the same every year now.

I checked for you and forgot to post so now I don't remember the name used, but there is a new shield you wear on your back (cosmetic), new war pony style, new regular mount, and I think a new cloak, all of (probably) the same theme, which is a red and white tree. I'll get the pony in a couple of days and post if it sucks or owns.

Also if anyone genuinely likes helping out Turbine do some hardware tests on the new servers, or if you don't care about Turbine at all but have a lot of hard drive space and badly need 100+ turbine points, check this out.

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?580306-Help-us-test-the-new-Datacenter-this-Saturday-October-24th-5-7PM-Eastern-and-win-prizes

BobbyBaudoin posted:

Hey I actually have a bunch of TP sitting there so I'm defo gonna check that out.

I think that particular sale ended before you posted but I still want to say Undertale is a real cool game, nice avatar/link combo.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
Summary of the Update 17 preview livestream thing they just did:

-It will be ready within a few weeks...what? I thought they were shooting for January now, things are on track if not very early.

-Two new epic battles in Minas Tirith, one is essentially the enemy approaching the city and your defense, the other they did not show video of it it sounds like it'll be Grond breaking through the gates and poo poo hitting the fan. There will be a duo, triple, and six man version but I forgot which is which. Lots of voice acting done for this including the return of the Gandalf voice guy.

-New crafting you already have heard about which will fortunately not include an update to the guild part as I'm still not maxed out with them. Post about this will probably be on lotro.com Monday.

-The new battles will also yield more merit, and costs have been changed since beta making the people freaking out on the forums hopefully calm down now.

-Harvesting while mounted, new updates to cosmetic weapons such as one handed hammers and swords all being interchangeable and working fine with the animations, a fix to a bug that was crashing instances rarely, other stuff I can't remember.

edit

If anyone wants more details without watching a long twitch stream upload with a scratchy microphone I'll also mention they actually like the idea of war-pigs and are either jokingly or maybe actually considering them, they hinted that we will not be going to Mordor yet and there is more Gondor content to be seen in 2016, PVP balancing and improvements are still thought about but not actively worked on it sounds like. I would expect any plans for PVMP or housing updates to become on their plate once Update 17 is not only out but polished up and bug fixed.

extra stout fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Oct 22, 2015

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

If we're not going to Mordor immediately after Update 17 I guess that means we'll be going to Harondor (Southern Gondor) instead? I'm not sure what else they'd be planning on.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Florida.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
Rhun, or better yet, Umbar.

Manxome Foe
Apr 6, 2005

Beware the Jabberwock, my son! The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
I just came back to the game after a long hiatus. I see that server transfers are happening at some point. Is there a set server that goons will be moving to? I'm trying to get my characters squared away and choose a main before I dive in.

fuccboi
Jan 5, 2004

by zen death robot
Hows osgiliath? I heard its no better than moors. Do creeps still have to 5v1 to get a kill?

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

Brave New World posted:

Rhun, or better yet, Umbar.

I'm still holding out hope that they'll someday add northern Mirkwood. I assume that they have plans to eventually get to every named area on the map like Rhun, Dagorlad and Wilderland. They've taken some names off of the map that used to be there, probably because they scrapped plans to go there. Turbine doesn't give out much information beyond their plans for the next half a year usually.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

Update 17 is now live. What is this crazy bizarro world we're living in where Turbine releases something ahead of schedule?

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

ruffz posted:

Update 17 is now live. What is this crazy bizarro world we're living in where Turbine releases something ahead of schedule?

I'm real confused by this but it looks like a really nice update. So they said Fall, then pushed it to Decemberish, then a week ago said it'd be a few weeks and they must've just been loving with us because I'm downloading it now and reading the patch notes.

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?580912-Update-17-Release-Notes

Some highlights:

New region is Old Anorien containing Minas Tirith, Anorien means "Sun-land" if I remember, and I think it's considered to be Northern Gondor in the books, haven't checked in game yet.

Two New Epic Battles
-The Defence of Minas Tirith (solo/duo and three player)
-The Hammer of the Underworld (solo/duo and six player), fight to hold the city gates against the great siege ram Grond—and the Witch-king of Angmar himself!
Victory boxes for these battles contain roughly 50% more Supreme essences than prior Epic Battles and,
for the main quests, grant three times as many Stars of Merit. With this update, Epic Battle Promotions have been raised from 236 to 256.

Epic Volume IV, Book 4: Siege of the White City

All 6-man and 12-man Roving Threats now have a chance to drop Morgul Crests. This will probably be a hugely missed opportunity by some, and a really good reason to make friends. Takes much less effort, talent, time than learning all the tricks in Ruined City or Dome of The Stars. As far as the drop rate goes we'll see, there's already good reason to kill a few RTs a week so even if it's only one person looting one an hour I'd do it.

Anfalas Scrolls of Empowerment and Star-lit Crystals have been added to the Merit Commitee barter NPCs for 250 and 500 Stars of Merit, respectively. Also pretty big deal, those scrolls were 60 gold and those crystals were often 250 to 300 gold, you can probably do the math and see which one is the good deal.

Crafting Stuff, pasted half of it for crafting nerds
Crafters now have access to a tenth crafting tier: the Anórien crafting tier. Crafters of this tier can use Poplar, Anórien Skarn, Zircon, and Tattered Anórien Parchments to craft items for level 100 characters.
All crafting nodes can now be harvested while mounted.
All crafting materials stack to 500.
There is no longer a distinction between Vegetable, Grain, and Pipe-weed Farmlands. There is now only one kind of Farmland.
East Gondor craft nodes have been replaced with the tier 10 craft nodes also found in Old Anórien.

Imbued Legendary Items
DPS / Main Item Legacies have been granted 4 more available tiers and can unlock an additional 4.
Imbued stat Legacies have been granted 6 more available tiers and can unlock an additional 3.
All other imbued legacies have been granted 3 more available tiers and can unlock an additional 6.
Imbued Burglar Tools and Champion Runes have significantly more Incoming Healing Rating.

Ok if you want anymore than that or to see the minor class balances just go click the link. Also I know this new content is free to VIPs, I don't remember how long they typically wait to sell it for points but I'll post once I get any news on that. Going to ask the Arkenstone folks if they can ask Frelorn.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Content packs are always open to buy immediately. Probably 795 points or so

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Oh cool. I just finished Hytbold today. That was... anticlimatic. I can now move on with this but I don't think I have enough TP to purchase it. I'm shy about 300 points probably. No rush.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

extra stout posted:

So they said Fall, then pushed it to Decemberish, then a week ago said it'd be a few weeks and they must've just been loving with us because I'm downloading it now and reading the patch notes.

Usually when Turbine gives a window like "Fall" it means the last week or two. They more recently made it sound like it'd be coming out in November, but then today boom there it is.

extra stout posted:

New region is Old Anorien containing Minas Tirith, Anorien means "Sun-land" if I remember, and I think it's considered to be Northern Gondor in the books, haven't checked in game yet.

In Talath Anor (the northern-most area in the update) there's two new paths to unreleased areas. To the northwest is labeled "Northern Gondor" and to the northeast is "North Ithilien". I'd imagine they're going to connect East Rohan with Northern Gondor with one of the next updates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

It's nice to see that the seasonal event can actually be enjoyed by low levels. I'm used to other games where most of the content requires high or even max level characters.

EDIT: After having tried farming I love that there's now only one kind of farmland.