Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

zoux posted:

They set five year ratings highs for their coverage.

But do you blame CNN for giving people what they want? Do journalists have a duty to report only on things they think are important, or should they just shotgun it and let the audience decide what they are interested in?

I can think of at least one clear example where journalists have a responsibility not to report: suicides. There is clear data that sensationalist reporting on suicides increases the suicide rate, often with new suicides mirroring the publicized suicide.

This has especially clear relevance if you view mass shootings events as a form of "suicide by cop".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

computer parts posted:

And Al-Jazeera has always been terrible in Arabic, and in English retooled itself quite severely after the Arab Spring and the like.

Basically someone saying "This media I watch is good and the other people are just dummies for watching Bad Media" are falling into the same trap that they notice with other people.

I'm not really sure what you're saying. Do you disagree with the notion that certain publications might have better information or less bias than others?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I can think of at least one clear example where journalists have a responsibility not to report: suicides. There is clear data that sensationalist reporting on suicides increases the suicide rate, often with new suicides mirroring the publicized suicide.

This has especially clear relevance if you view mass shootings events as a form of "suicide by cop".

Honestly it's weird that the media has kept to that particular gentlemen's agreement after they've abandoned almost all of the traditional norms of American journalism, but you're right, and the media rarely reports on suicides. It also shows they can police their own content, they just don't.

Though there is a trend of reporting on people that who kill themselves because of being bullied, or soldiers because of PTSD and so on. I'm of two minds on that, because like you said suicide coverage often leads to copycatting, but also I think people need to know how some of their fellow citizens are struggling.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

public sector workers don't make nearly as much as their private sector (contractor) counterparts. like not even close. an ex of mine's uncle was a GS15, naval academy grad, worked at one of the alphabet natsec agencies in DC.

he 'retired' and immediately went to work for a contractor in NoVA making like $500,000.
[/quote]

In some fields, government jobs not only pay better but offer way better benefits and hours. You're less likely to get a 6 figure government job, but more likely to get a $15-25 an hour one with benefits that FAR outstrip what you'll get in the private sector. Government jobs are sought after because of the high floor more than anything else. From what I understand, unless you know Assembly or dirt on someone in power, the 6 figure jobs are pretty much nonexistent

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The Oregon shooter was obsessed with serial killers and one of his motivations for the shooting was to become famous in the news like his heroes.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Luigi Thirty posted:

The Oregon shooter was obsessed with serial killers and one of his motivations for the shooting was to become famous in the news like his heroes.

It's pretty well documented how the way the media covers these shootings encourages future shooters.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 216 days!

Epic High Five posted:

Democrats have 2 winners, Republicans have zero. Averages out to one per party, balance achieved!

Uh oh guys, looks like Clinton won too hard :ohdear:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...58c9_story.html

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Epic High Five posted:

In some fields, government jobs not only pay better but offer way better benefits and hours. You're less likely to get a 6 figure government job, but more likely to get a $15-25 an hour one with benefits that FAR outstrip what you'll get in the private sector. Government jobs are sought after because of the high floor more than anything else. From what I understand, unless you know Assembly or dirt on someone in power, the 6 figure jobs are pretty much nonexistent

We must eliminate these cushy lower-middle-class government jobs, so that everyone can be a wage slave for Walmart. Only then will we be freed from the tyranny of the government teat.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Impermanent posted:

I'm not really sure what you're saying. Do you disagree with the notion that certain publications might have better information or less bias than others?

I disagree with the notion that any single news agency (or small group thereof) can give you a realistic take on the news.

This doesn't mean watching Fox News is required, but that you're going to miss a lot (either intentionally or by happenstance) if you stay within a particular subgroup.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

it's loving hilarious how transparently the media wants to sink hillary

not that hillary isn't a hilarious idiot for picking that fight to begin with, but god drat

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

zoux posted:

It's pretty well documented how the way the media covers these shootings encourages future shooters.

Future shooters are future ratings

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Epic High Five posted:

quote:

public sector workers don't make nearly as much as their private sector (contractor) counterparts. like not even close. an ex of mine's uncle was a GS15, naval academy grad, worked at one of the alphabet natsec agencies in DC.

he 'retired' and immediately went to work for a contractor in NoVA making like $500,000.

the $15-25 an hour jobs all require a college degree, require trolling USAJOBS.gov for months (itself a form of hell), and generally pay a fair wage for extremely competitive jobs. and to top it off, unless you're ex-military you have a slim-to-none chance at even getting an interview nowadays.

it is wholesale myth that public sector workers in the DC are overpaid w/r/t private sector jobs. there's just as many fields where the government "overpays" as there are where the government "underpays," IT/comp sci, and security/defense related to name a few.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Devor posted:

We must eliminate these cushy lower-middle-class government jobs, so that everyone can be a wage slave for Walmart. Only then will we be freed from the tyranny of the government teat.

ding ding ding. the people who claim that the government overpays administrative assistants are the same people who legitimately think that someone with a college degree making $15-25/hr in one of the highest COL areas in the country are being 'overpaid.'

fun fact: you can not even afford a one bedroom apartment on your own in DC making $25/hr.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
Hey guys I know we've been looking for one of them there house speakers, how about we get one of the old ones like Denny Hastert!?

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2015/10/former-house-speaker-dennis-hastert-plead-guilty-hush-money-case

quote:

Lawyers for former House Speaker Dennis Hastert (R-Ill.) told a federal judge on Thursday that Hastert would be pleading guilty to federal charges related to the payment of hush money to cover up alleged sexual misconduct during his days as a gym teacher and wrestling coach at Yorkville High School in Illinois.

Oh gently caress.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

this_is_hard posted:

the $15-25 an hour jobs all require a college degree, require trolling USAJOBS.gov for months (itself a form of hell), and generally pay a fair wage for extremely competitive jobs. and to top it off, unless you're ex-military you have a slim-to-none chance at even getting an interview nowadays.

it is wholesale myth that public sector workers in the DC are overpaid w/r/t private sector jobs. there's just as many fields where the government "overpays" as there are where the government "underpays," IT/comp sci, and security/defense related to name a few.
[/quote]

My experience is as a licensed pharm tech from before I went into IT, and for techs there is a very real demand at places like the VA and the callcenters, and a college degree is absolutely not required to be a tech. You're probably right in regards to other industries though, I imagine if I tried to get a cushy government spot (unless working for a state school counts?) I'd have a lot more trouble going for an IT position.

Sad thing is that gov jobs used to be considered the boring, secure but lower paying counterpart to private sector jobs across the board. Now they're a hot commodity because private sector is so dismal if you don't have specific skills that can't be farmed out (yet)

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I'm glad that JEB! has been consistently showing that he's not just a boring, middle of the road, compromise but actively all of the worst aspects of his miserable party. He would have been just as disastrous as any Tea Party President and Trump destroying him has been hilarious.

Epic High Five posted:

Sad thing is that gov jobs used to be considered the boring, secure but lower paying counterpart to private sector jobs across the board. Now they're a hot commodity because private sector is so dismal if you don't have specific skills that can't be farmed out (yet)

This is exactly it. Ten years ago government was were you went if you didn't mind sacrificing higher pay for job security and nice benefits. Now that the private sector has been gutted all those people are envious of the lavish lifestyles of those that were taking lower salaries a decade before and wanted them to suffer like they do.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Oct 15, 2015

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
JEB is a fuckboy

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Epic High Five posted:

quote:

Nope. I don't have the study on hand (phone posting, it was from ~2010 iirc) but those jobs that do compensate better than their private sector equivalent require more degrees, credentials, and experience to get in the public sector, and the correspondingly older employees in them. The study found that correcting for age, education, and experience the public employee is less compensated than the private sector equivalent.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

this_is_hard posted:

The key here is retire. The big benefit is a pay and benefits package relatively early. I'm of an age that my cohort is at the point of military retirement. Stay on long enough to get benefits, then you're free to seek pay anywhere else without worry about security. Double dipping even happens in the public sector. Relative of mine retired from one state university system, packed up and moved to the next state and took the equivalent job there but without benefits. Her salary more than doubled. And because she could do this in her 40s, she can keep going for another 20-30 years at that pay level.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

this_is_hard posted:

ding ding ding. the people who claim that the government overpays administrative assistants are the same people who legitimately think that someone with a college degree making $15-25/hr in one of the highest COL areas in the country are being 'overpaid.'

fun fact: you can not even afford a one bedroom apartment on your own in DC making $25/hr.

also the same people who think that college staff make too much money.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Fried Chicken posted:

Holy balls

a weakness in the Diffie-Hellman key exchange has been found

Basically the rumors about the the NSA breaking a major encryption (and the claims by Russia earlier this year to have done so) are now probably true.

Basically a majority of all protected traffic are wide open to any state willing to make a relatively modest investment (for a government) since most VPNs and a lot of SSH/HTTPS servers use this method.

I suppose it is kind of inside baseball for IT security and SIGINT, but in that field this is the biggest bombshell to drop in years.

lawl everyone has been using the SAME HARDCODED RANDOM NUMBER

the same one

so the NSA spent a year to break that one random number and can now read everyone's encrypted traffic that uses that number

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

evilweasel posted:

the same one

so the NSA spent a year to break that one random number and can now read everyone's encrypted traffic that uses that number

Let me pretend to be shocked.

Thiough I do not give a poo poo if the NSA reads my email or texts.

Oh no, they're gonna read my boring texts to the dude I am going to have Thai with this weekend :ohdear:

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

also the same people who think that college staff make too much money.

yeah it's just a race to the bottom.

I work my rear end off and make $12/hr, and some government schlub is making $20? What's that? I'm being exploited?!

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

this_is_hard posted:

yeah it's just a race to the bottom.

I work my rear end off and make $12/hr, and some government schlub is making $20? What's that? I'm being exploited?!

I find those people lie about their income.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I actually plan to work in Federal or State Government but mostly for the benefits. Being a person who is disabled I can get a better "weight" score or whatever in some states. I think also it will forgive my student loans. Then when I have experience go to work in the private sector.

It's really the only situation where persons with disabilities are actively sought out. So I'm all for state government and federal jobs.

Like in the Disability Career Sources magazine there are advertisements for working at the CIA.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

evilweasel posted:

the same one

That's exactly what happened with DVDs, they were all using the same loving key, when it got out, they decided to just use a different random number and it got recracked in about a day.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Fried Chicken posted:

quote:

Nope. I don't have the study on hand (phone posting, it was from ~2010 iirc) but those jobs that do compensate better than their private sector equivalent require more degrees, credentials, and experience to get in the public sector, and the correspondingly older employees in them. The study found that correcting for age, education, and experience the public employee is less compensated than the private sector equivalent.

Pretty sure you have it exactly opposite - public sector jobs with significant qualification requirements tend to pay less (including benefits), while public sector jobs that don't require degrees pay better, and overall public sector employees are compensated a bit better when corrected for age, education, and experience.

http://www.cbo.gov/sites/default/files/cbofiles/attachments/01-30-FedPay.pdf

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Let me pretend to be shocked.

Thiough I do not give a poo poo if the NSA reads my email or texts.

Oh no, they're gonna read my boring texts to the dude I am going to have Thai with this weekend :ohdear:

nah they are just going to maybe blackmail you and thousands of others with something they got from these records to carry out their political will, it's really not a big deal

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Enkmar posted:

nah they are just going to maybe blackmail you and thousands of others with something they got from these records to carry out their political will, it's really not a big deal

What could they possibly blackmail me with?

OMG YOU TEXTED A DUDE ABOUT MEETING UP TO gently caress!

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Kalman posted:

Pretty sure you have it exactly opposite - public sector jobs with significant qualification requirements tend to pay less (including benefits), while public sector jobs that don't require degrees pay better, and overall public sector employees are compensated a bit better when corrected for age, education, and experience.

http://www.cbo.gov/sites/default/files/cbofiles/attachments/01-30-FedPay.pdf

Per appendix A, this study looks at overall averages, the one I am referring to looked at specific job overlap to compare. As a result the private sector average will be dragged down by a large number of poorly paying jobs that there isn't a government equivalent for (eg fast food worker) and government jobs boosted by the decent paying ones there isn't a private sector equivalent for (eg artillery man)

E: Christ on the cross what happened to my formatting there

Fried Chicken fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Oct 15, 2015

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

This is basically "I'm not worried about protecting freedom of speech because I have nothing to say", hth

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

This or literally any other scenario you could imagine

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Bi Now Gay Later, having sex with any person of any gender, including yourself, in or out of the confines of a relationship or marriage is a shameful act and should only be done in secret, and preferably in the dark. This is America god drat it.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Some people won't be happy until basically everyone is making $12/hr at best, with no benefits or job/healthcare security whatsoever. The end goal is basically a perma-temp workforce grateful to have a job at all, and where everyone must reinvent themselves constantly at their own expense until they die at work in their late 70s.

These people also happen to be funding most of the current presidential and congressional candidates.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

greatn posted:

Bi Now Gay Later, having sex with any person of any gender, including yourself, in or out of the confines of a relationship or marriage is a shameful act and should only be done in secret, and preferably in the dark. This is America god drat it.

The poster-appropriate joke is something about being a celibate monk.

Fried Chicken posted:

This is basically "I'm not worried about protecting freedom of speech because I have nothing to say", hth

Nah. I would prefer that, you know, the government didn't warantlessly collect and store private communication of its citizens, but I am not terribly worried about it personally because I am the most boring gently caress in the world and nothing I do is remotely worth anyone's time.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Serious question: is there any reasonable way for America to leave Afghanistan without it being a humanitarian disaster? I mean right now with American support the government can't even hold onto cities, and I assume that if the USA left that all the local kleptocrats would pack up the treasury and flee before the collapse, while everyone else who cooperated gets massacred. But America staying indefinitely is unacceptable too.

What's the best solution? A power-sharing agreement with the Taliban? Trying to merge the country with Pakistan?

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

Lessail posted:

JEB is a fuckboy

Dick on display from winter swimming.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Nah. I would prefer that, you know, the government didn't warantlessly collect and store private communication of its citizens, but I am not terribly worried about it personally because I am the most boring gently caress in the world and nothing I do is remotely worth anyone's time.

I feel sorry for the dude you're meeting for Thai now.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

A Winner is Jew posted:

I feel sorry for the dude you're meeting for Thai now.

lol, he's a very nice dude who teaches ESL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

Mojo Threepwood posted:

Serious question: is there any reasonable way for America to leave Afghanistan without it being a humanitarian disaster? I mean right now with American support the government can't even hold onto cities, and I assume that if the USA left that all the local kleptocrats would pack up the treasury and flee before the collapse, while everyone else who cooperated gets massacred. But America staying indefinitely is unacceptable too.

What's the best solution? A power-sharing agreement with the Taliban? Trying to merge the country with Pakistan?

No, correct, probably, definitely, definitely.

There is no best solution, the whole thing is an obscene clusterfuck of epic proportion. I say we annex the whole thing. Yeah it's terrible and dumb but so is every loving other thing we do so who cares. There's our stable middle east ally , the 51st state, eat poo poo Guam/Puerto Rico :patriot:

• Locked thread