Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Look at these bike riders trying to out-victim each other. Typical :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
A bicyclist will never know what it's like to have a car pull out in front of them and slam on their brakes from nowhere when they're doing 90 on the highway

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

PCOS Bill posted:

A bicyclist will never know what it's like to have a car pull out in front of them and slam on their brakes from nowhere when they're doing 90 on the highway

No, but it sure happens when we are doing 25 mph.
Also dooring, which we're basically forced to deal with because of poorly placed bike lanes.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

nm posted:

No, but it sure happens when we are doing 25 mph.
Also dooring, which we're basically forced to deal with because of poorly placed bike lanes.

Please, you think motorcycles are immune to idiots opening their doors?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

PCOS Bill posted:

Please, you think motorcycles are immune to idiots opening their doors?

You're not legally mandated to ride 2 feet away from car doors.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

nm posted:

You're lucky to get two feet of clearance on some of the streets where I live if there's anyone else around

nm
Jan 28, 2008

PCOS Bill posted:

You're lucky to get two feet of clearance on some of the streets where I live if there's anyone else around
That's not all day everyday in downtown with poo poo tons of parallel parked cars.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

nm posted:

You're not either.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Krakkles posted:

You're not either.

CVC 21208
(a) Whenever a bicycle lane has been established on a roadway pursuant to Section 21207, any person operating a bicycle upon the roadway at a speed less than the normal speed of traffic moving in the same direction at that time shall ride within the bicycle lane. . .
Yeah, there is a "hazardous conditions" exception, but unless basically every bike lane in an urban area is going to be a hazardous condition, yes, we are.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Yes how dare those philistines restrict you to the lane designed for your chosen mode of transport.

Hey, I get it, man. I think I should be allowed to drive my jeep over anything it'll handle, be it curbs, highway dividers, small sports cars, midsize sedans, children, whatever.

The world is so unfair!

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

Krakkles posted:

Yes how dare those philistines restrict you to the lane designed for your chosen mode of transport.

Hey, I get it, man. I think I should be allowed to drive my jeep over anything it'll handle, be it curbs, highway dividers, small sports cars, midsize sedans, children, whatever.

The world is so unfair!

U mad?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Krakkles posted:

The world is so unfair!

As long as it's not bicycles.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I would much rather cyclists just take the lane on a regular basis, rather than eliminating all kinds of parking and mandating bizarre, long light cycles everywhere so we can have paths that cyclists don't even seem to like that much. The idiots in my city can't even seem to grasp the concept of going over 30 km/h downtown in a car, so slowing down a little bit extra for a cyclist is no biggie.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Krakkles posted:

The world is so unfair!

Bike lanes are poorly thought out for their stated use. You wouldn't think too highly of a road that repeatedly crossed a railroad track without any kind of crossing safeties.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Krakkles posted:

The world is so unfair!

Don't think anyone saw this as anything but you deflecting that you made a dumb comment and got called on it

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Pop quiz!

You are approaching an intersection where two slip roads merge and continue together as one direction of a two-lane road. The slip road joining from the right has right of way, you are on the left slip road and have a yield sign.

A car is approaching from the right. You are approaching the yield sign.

Do you:

- yield
- gun it to zoom out ahead of the approaching car so fast that they barely have to brake to merge behind you
- pace them into the intersection, ignore their "hi, I'm here" horn blip, fail to yield in any way and then attempt to force them off the road; when they brake and merge behind you, set your cruise control to 10 below the speed limit and continue tapping on your mobile phone.

An rear end in a top hat chose the third option this morning. I have you on dashcam, you fucker, and I hope the long horn blare I gave as you were trying to push me into the ditch aggravated your tinnitus.

I shoulda seen it coming as they were pacing me into the junction and slowed down to merge behind them - discretion is the better part of valor and all that - but I could not believe someone would actually behave like that when they knew a car was approaching that had the right of way.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

Pop quiz!

You are approaching an intersection where two slip roads merge and continue together as one direction of a two-lane road. The slip road joining from the right has right of way, you are on the left slip road and have a yield sign.

A car is approaching from the right. You are approaching the yield sign.

Do you:

- yield
- gun it to zoom out ahead of the approaching car so fast that they barely have to brake to merge behind you
- pace them into the intersection, ignore their "hi, I'm here" horn blip, fail to yield in any way and then attempt to force them off the road; when they brake and merge behind you, set your cruise control to 10 below the speed limit and continue tapping on your mobile phone.

An rear end in a top hat chose the third option this morning. I have you on dashcam, you fucker, and I hope the long horn blare I gave as you were trying to push me into the ditch aggravated your tinnitus.

I shoulda seen it coming as they were pacing me into the junction and slowed down to merge behind them - discretion is the better part of valor and all that - but I could not believe someone would actually behave like that when they knew a car was approaching that had the right of way.

So what you're saying is you don't understand the principle of how yield signs and right of way work.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

PCOS Bill posted:

Why would one be doing 90 on the highway?

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Crotch Fruit posted:

So what you're saying is you don't understand the principle of how yield signs and right of way work.

?

I had the right of way, they had the yield sign, they did not yield.

Was that not clear? Perhaps I got my left and right mixed up.

E: nope, I reread it and it seems p clear to me.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Cage posted:

Why would one be doing 90 on the highway?

Keeping up with the flow of traffic outside the far right lane?

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
Driving in to work today I was behind this Ford Explorer that looked like they had lowered the suspension. Then I noticed the thing just bouncing all over the place so I assume it wasn't intentional and just had completely broken poo poo, but the guy obviously didn't know where he was going based on his late lane changes for a turn, so I got around him since we had two turn lanes and sped off in order to make a green light. He made the light too and I guess decided I had challenged his manhood so he came zooming up behind me and changed to the left (of 3) lanes at the last second. Just as he did that the guy in front of me for seemingly no reason merged to the left, so the guy swerved back right in front of me, then back left in front of the guy, all the while bouncing his top-heavy explorer all over the place. Whatever, I made all the green lights and work is just up ahead so I merge over to the right lane for the parking, then looking up ahead I see that explorer has now swerved into the far right lane and now has two wheels up on the sidewalk before swerving back down and coming to a stop at the red light. Hopefully he has learned the physical limitations of speeding and swerving in a 4,500 lbs SUV with busted suspension.

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.

?

I guess he's asking why you would slow down to merge behind the other person?

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

PenisMonkey posted:

I guess he's asking why you would slow down to merge behind the other person?

I'm going to guess because the lanes merge and clearly the other person wasn't paying attention (both facts clearly stated in the post.)

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

?

My bad, all the first person/third person going on there is confusing, as well as the part where they "pushed me (<- you) into the ditch" implied you were the car on the ramp.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

I think a picture would have helped but :effort:

In essence it's two one-lane ramps merging, the right ramp has ROW and the left ramp must yield. Dude on the left ramp paced me into the intersection so he was parallel to me in the resulting single lane after the merge point, and tried to push me off the road.

It's a weird intersection and if you're on the left ramp you have to check over your right shoulder for oncoming traffic with the right of way, but the yield is very clearly marked and it's after a stop sign so it's not like you'd be traveling too fast to check for oncoming traffic and yield.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I saw the ghetto version of the Portlandia bicycle rights guy today. I was coming up to a traffic light in the left of two lanes, and saw a rusty, beach cruiser bike coming off the sidewalk between some parked cars, but still moving generally in the same direction as traffic. When I stopped in line at the light, I saw the guy was cutting diagonally across the road behind me, yelling things along the lines of "gently caress you, I'm on a bike". Then he got on the sidewalk on the left side of the road and continued on still yelling at cars.

I rarely see any spandex clad cyclists around here, but tons of people with regular street clothes and no helmet who dawdle out into traffic without much thought (both on bikes and on foot).

inkjet_lakes
Feb 9, 2015

88h88 posted:

I'm honestly just glad it was late at night and the only thing they hit was a wall... Also imagine being the parents of the kid driving and having to come to terms that the child you tried to raise right turned out to be a stupid little twat who killed his friend and himself. :/

Good friend of mine was first on scene to this, on his first day of Paramedic ride-alongs as part of his Medicine degree: http://www.yorkpress.co.uk/news/1297962.crash_horror_inquest_verdicts/
Poor bastard kept his poo poo together til they got back to base & he realised he had brain matter on the soles of his boots.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

inkjet_lakes posted:

Good friend of mine was first on scene to this, on his first day of Paramedic ride-alongs as part of his Medicine degree: http://www.yorkpress.co.uk/news/1297962.crash_horror_inquest_verdicts/
Poor bastard kept his poo poo together til they got back to base & he realised he had brain matter on the soles of his boots.

How is a 2.8l audi a4 (making a whopping 190hp in a 3500lb car) a "powerful" car?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

nm posted:

How is a 2.8l audi a4 (making a whopping 190hp in a 3500lb car) a "powerful" car?

UK nanny state

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

nm posted:

This is in Europe, where double-digit horsepower requires you to fill out a stack of horsepower-intent permits and walk past a series of protesters before you can fire it up in the presence of a specially licensed police constable.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

nm posted:

Well it's certainly more powerful than a basic 100hp 1.6 (or worse a diesel)

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

nm posted:

Tabloid hyperbole. Much like all those "World Championships" American sports have.

Plus it can do a o-60 of 7.5 seconds so its not exactly slow either.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Foxtrot_13 posted:

Tabloid hyperbole. Much like all those "World Championships" American sports have.

Show me any NFL style football team outside of the US. Canada doesn't count since they neutered the field size.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
Anyone else get really annoyed when some rear end leaves his fogs on 24/7? That poo poo makes it hard to see at night, son. You can turn them off, there is a little toggle.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
^^^ Yes, kill everyone who uses their fog lights 24/7.

Foxtrot_13 posted:

Plus it can do a o-60 of 7.5 seconds so its not exactly slow either.

I'm pretty sure my old SUV could manage that. It's not slow, so much as it's just not at all fast.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3zHRQn_IShw&feature=youtu.be&t=1s

Title on YouTube is misleading

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I love sovereign citizen videos.

Also her voice. Holy poo poo.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

PT6A posted:

^^^ Yes, kill everyone who uses their fog lights 24/7.

I'm pretty sure my old SUV could manage that. It's not slow, so much as it's just not at all fast.
Definitive proof the 2.8L A4 is a slow turd:
code:
2007 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LTZ 4X4 Compare Car 0-60 mph 7.5 | Quarter mile 15.6
  Auto Trans. | 8 Cyl Eng. | 4WD	| Crossover / SUV

2012 Toyota 4-Runner Limited Compare Car 0-60 mph 7.7
  Crossover / SUV

2003 Chrysler PT Cruiser GT Turbo Compare Car 0-60 mph 7.0 | Quarter mile 15.6
  Auto Trans. | 4 Cyl Eng. | FWD | Crossover / SUV
But at least it beats a couple vehicles! :haw:
code:
2007 Dodge Caliber 1.8 S Compare Car 0-60 mph 12.1
  Manual Trans. | 4 Cyl Eng. | FWD | Crossover / SUV

2013 Toyota Prius C Compare Car 0-60 mph 10.7 | Quarter mile 18.0
  Hatchback / Wagon

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
It's possible that my lifted TJ is faster, though I haven't really timed it. 0-60 in seven seconds is not fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

nm posted:

FWIW, my insurance considers anything over 150hp a "specialty" car and won't even touch anything over 200hp. 190 (official) hp in Europe probably puts you in top fifth if not top tenth for passenger cars.