Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

KicksYouInHalf posted:

So this is already a done deal so I guess it doesn't matter but I had this happen today:

Went to court to pay a speeding ticket/failure to appear fine from out of town from 2012. Talked to the prosecutor and he had me sign a plea to pay the speeding ticket and have the warrant for failure to appear recalled for a writ fee of $50. When I got to the judge, the judge decided that they would only recall the warrant for $150. I said okay since I didnt feel like arguing would help and the judge just altered the numbers on my already signed plea agreement.

Was that all legal or did I just get taken for a ride? Either way, I'm just glad to get it off my record.

A plea is an agreement between the state and the defendant. It's basically a contract. The judge has the power to accept or reject any plea at his discretion. He was telling the lawyers that they were going too lenient on you and would reject the plea.

It sounds like you got the best you could have gotten in front of that judge.

e: unless your lawyer plays golf or talks baseball with the judge, but that one would cost a lot more than the $100 difference.

BgRdMchne fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Oct 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KicksYouInHalf
Aug 6, 2007

National tragedy.
Fair enough, it was mainly the changing of an already signed document that felt gross to me.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

KicksYouInHalf posted:

Fair enough, it was mainly the changing of an already signed document that felt gross to me.

Words on paper.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

BgRdMchne posted:

A plea is an agreement between the state and the defendant. It's basically a contract. The judge has the power to accept or reject any plea at his discretion. He was telling the lawyers that they were going too lenient on you and would reject the plea.

It sounds like you got the best you could have gotten in front of that judge.

e: unless your lawyer plays golf or talks baseball with the judge, but that one would cost a lot more than the $100 difference.

Don't take this from me!

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs

KicksYouInHalf posted:

:canada:

pre:
606. PLEAS PERMITTED — (1) An accused who is called on to plead may plead guilty or not guilty,
or the special pleas authorized by this Part and no others.

(1.1) CONDITIONS FOR ACCEPTING GUILTY PLEA — A court may accept a plea of guilty only if it is
satisfied that the accused
     (a) is making the plea voluntarily; and
     (b) understands
          (i) that the plea is an admission of the essential elements of the offence,
          (ii) the nature and consequences of the plea, and
          (iii) that the court is not bound by any agreement made between the accused and the prosecutor.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

KicksYouInHalf posted:

The state doesn't get to be judge, jury, and executioner.

Sometimes that has a downside as well.

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

blarzgh posted:

Don't take this from me!

Sorry, I'll let you handle the next one about trafffic laws.

Thomase
Mar 18, 2009

Devor posted:

Where do you send your rent check?

I have no idea, this is my first rental and I expected a small amount of communication prior to take over. As long as I can get an email account to detail any issues going forward...

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Go to their office and talk to the realtor or landlord.

I ended up calling the manager of the realty and giving him poo poo. They ended up straightening things out with the energy company. They didn't resolve things with the gas company for whatever reason, but the gas company agreed to move forward if I presented them with the rental agreement.

Apparently they will provide me with the landlord information tonight when I snag the keys. Still no word on the water heater rental though. So weird. I'll contact her and she can pickup her cheques.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Do we have a lawyer goon in Denver, Co? Long story short - ex filed for divorce there, I live in Arizona. We have no assets to divide, no children, etc. I called a lawyer up there and they wanted $3k. Mostly looking to see if I should just let the case default. I'm not entirely sure how to file paperwork from out of state.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Oct 15, 2015

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

No one will answer those questions without you paying them.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Well, I figured out how to file paperwork. Self representation it shall be.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

BlackMK4 posted:

Do you fix your own plumbing?

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

You should hire a local attorney to represent you. If you don't, you run the risk that your spouse will obtain an order against you that obligates you to pay spousal/child support, takes assets you think are no assets, or otherwise some how prejudices you.

If you cannot afford an attorney, you should find a way to afford an attorney.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

CaptainScraps posted:

Do you fix your own plumbing?

Yes, but plumbing's easier to begin with and cheap and easy to fix if you mess it up.
That being said, even as a lawyer, I'd get a lawyer for my divorce.

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die

BlackMK4 posted:

Shop around, $3k sounds like a lot. I paid somewhere between $900 and $1200 for my uncontested divorce and scraps told me I got ripped off.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Illinois FOIA question: What duty does an Illinois public employee or employer have to preserve emails that do not fall under a FOIA exception? My employer (an Illinois municipality) has set up our email accounts so that anything more than a year old is deleted, whereas my father's employer (an Illinois public university) never automatically deletes emails. Must anything that might be FOIA'd in the future be preserved? Can an employee delete emails in advance of when the employer automatically deletes them?

pig slut lisa fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Oct 16, 2015

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

3000 k sounds fair for a guy out of state. I would ask for 5k for an out of state client, 2k for in state.

That's the retainer it may not cost that much.

Family law is impossible to predict so lawyers have to make sure they don't get burned.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

pig slut lisa posted:

Illinois FOIA question: What duty does an Illinois public employee or employer have to preserve emails that do not fall under a FOIA exception? My employer (an Illinois municipality) has set up our email accounts so that anything more than a year old is deleted, whereas my father's employer (an Illinois public university) never automatically deletes emails. Must anything that might be FOIA'd in the future be preserved?

Contact your city attorney.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

pig slut lisa posted:

Illinois FOIA question: What duty does an Illinois public employee or employer have to preserve emails that do not fall under a FOIA exception? My employer (an Illinois municipality) has set up our email accounts so that anything more than a year old is deleted, whereas my father's employer (an Illinois public university) never automatically deletes emails. Must anything that might be FOIA'd in the future be preserved? Can an employee delete emails in advance of when the employer automatically deletes them?

http://www.iml.org/

These people will also have your answer.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Pennsylvania employment law question:

I told my employers at the beginning of this month that I was planning on leaving at the end of the year, even though my contract only requires (well, really it suggests) giving 45 days of notice. I did this because I didn't want to be looking for work over the holidays, and because they needed a transistion time in order to train someone to do my job, because the next person under me has been here less than four months. I gave them a written letter of notice saying I intended my last ay to be January 1st, 2016. Last night at midnight, I got this e-mail:

quote:

Vargo,

As discussed on our phone call on September 30 when you gave your notice of resignation, we wish you the best in your future endeavors.

As you know, the official policy is to give a 45 day notice. While we appreciate the courtesy you offered by offering a 90 day notice period, that long of a notice period is not required. Therefore, a 45 day notice period is sufficient, which will make your official last day Monday November 16.

Again, we appreciate your contributions and wish you the best.

There's no way that's legal, right? This is a passive-aggressive way of terminating me without terminating me, correct? They don't get to tell me when I decide to quit, and I have every right to turn around and tell them they have to actually terminate me if they want me to leave in November, correct?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Vargo posted:

There's no way that's legal, right? This is a passive-aggressive way of terminating me without terminating me, correct? They don't get to tell me when I decide to quit, and I have every right to turn around and tell them they have to actually terminate me if they want me to leave in November, correct?

Either the HR department did a dumb or you just sacked yourself.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
You are actually under contract? What does it say?

If you were not under contract, it would depend. If PA is an at will state, then it is legal, but you would be entitled to unemployment from nov 16 to jan 1.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Vargo posted:

Totally legal, as far as I know. In fact, it would be policy for many companies to terminate you immediately and simply pay your salary for those 45 days.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
If you are at-will, they can kick your rear end out the door then and there and pay you nothing.
If you are under contract, that preempts at will.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Pa is at will.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Even if you aren't under contract, you can still go to HR and say, "Really? Are you firing me because I gave you too much warning that I was leaving?" I mean, what are they going to do? Fire you?

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Goddamn labor laws in the US are hosed up

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
So I double-checked my contract (offer letter? Does an offer letter count as a contract, because if not, there is no contract), and yeah, I guess this is at-will. However, the employee handbook states:

quote:

Due to the demands of the business, resigning employees are encouraged to
provide 45 days’ notice in writing to facilitate a smooth transition out of the organization. If an
employee provides less notice than requested, the employer may deem the individual to be
ineligible for rehire depending on the circumstances regarding the notice given.

But that's not really a legal document.

Really, what I'm asking for is, should I go ahead and file for unemployment? This is still a termination, correct?

Basically, if they're firing me, I want them to admit that they're doing so.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

You can always file for uc in pa. They won't stop you.

Also maybe you should talk to a lawyer before you make important legal decisions next time.

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs
Sounds like you have fallen victim to the "nice guys finish last" legal principle.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Yeah, it looks like this is on me. I made a decision in haste, and this is what happens. Oh, well. Those six weeks aren't the worst thing in the world, and I had some other stuff lined up I can just start sooner. I'll file for unemployment and be done with it.

The ironic thing is that part of my job is offering career advice and job hunting tips, but being not-a-lawyer, I've never dealt with the legal side of it, regarding employment/contract law.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Is it possible that HR thinks they're doing you a favor by letting you go early?

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

sleepy gary posted:

Is it possible that HR thinks they're doing you a favor by letting you go early?

No.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Maybe depends on how evil the company is.
My last employer basically bent over to make quitting as easy as loving possible. But that is government.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Good luck with Pa unemployment.

Let us know if you get it.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

euphronius posted:

Good luck with Pa unemployment.

Let us know if you get it.

IANAL but it isn't that hard. My former boss made me go to unemployement hearings for our small business in PA. We sacked a guy because he was flat out incapable of doing the job, just didn't get it. Not able to. Went to UC hearing with multiple documented instances of warnings, showing how we attempted to work with him etc. and he just could not do the job we needed him to. UC sided in his favor.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

jassi007 posted:

IANAL but it isn't that hard. My former boss made me go to unemployement hearings for our small business in PA. We sacked a guy because he was flat out incapable of doing the job, just didn't get it. Not able to. Went to UC hearing with multiple documented instances of warnings, showing how we attempted to work with him etc. and he just could not do the job we needed him to. UC sided in his favor.

I don't get it, were you trying to deny him unemployment because he was bad at his job?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

jassi007 posted:

Good. People who fight unemployment claims when the reason wasn't "he flashed the customers" are dicks.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

nm posted:

Good. People who fight unemployment claims when the reason wasn't "he flashed the customers" are dicks.

This was surprising to me, but from the PA site:

quote:

Unsatisfactory work performance is not considered willful misconduct where the claimant is working to the best of his/her ability. However, it is willful misconduct where the employer shows that the claimant was capable of doing the work, but was not performing up to standards despite warnings and admonitions. This is conduct showing an intentional and substantial disregard of the employer’s interests.

http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal/server.pt/community/pamphlets/10339/ucp-41__unemployment_compensation_eligibility_issues/552113

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

I don't get it, were you trying to deny him unemployment because he was bad at his job?

i was doing what my boss told me to. However I think from an employers perspective at some point if you've actually tried to work with someone to do the job you require of them, and they can't do it, you shouldn't be penalized for dismissing them. If you come to me and tell me you can do the job I describe and it turns out you can't, free money and a monetary penalty to the employer seems like the wrong outcome. The person in question basically did the equivalent of cramming the night before a test to say the right things in the interview, but turns out he didn't know the things he claimed to know, and also didn't/couldn't/wouldn't learn then when we tried to work with him.