Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Rental Sting posted:

I've done a good amount of debauched partying in my life, but from everything I've read, the FMP sounds like a sad, sloppy display of humanity at its worst. Also, I'm twenty-nine, so I fear that my days of enjoying such a spectacle are long passed.

It's actually ok IMO so long as you keep away from the chav scum that have found out about the place. Nothing spectacular about it, just a large open space party that goes until the sun comes up.

It's almost a shame that it exists because the beach they have it on is really one of the best I've ever seen. Beautiful crescent shape, large but not exapansive, yards and yards of fine sand before you hit the water, pretty rocky mountainside rising up around it.

raton fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Oct 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

it is not the first time I have been racist in the name of my own mistake and sadly probably not the last
Took your advice and booked a place for 10 nights with the Lighthouse Bungalows. The Koh Tao Sunlord Bungalow people didn't get back to me in time and I really want something booked when I arrive for piece of mind. If I like it then I can stay the rest of my time in Phangan and if I'm feeling the wanderlust and want to take off to Koh Tao, I figure I can do that. Again, thanks for the suggestion, Sheep Goats.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
When you arrive get to Had Rin town and then call them, they'll send a guy on a bike to take you there the first time.

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

Yeah the Sunsea/Sunlord guys are not the best hotel administrators. Super laid back, Thai style. Part of the charm for me. Also, Sunsea has a chicken tree.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Had Yuan, just around the bay from Had Rin is also super laid back and chilled, and only accessible by boat. There are some awesome parties over there if you feel like it, although expect to be surrounded by (almost entirely very friendly) people on mushrooms and MDMA. The vibe is so different from the full moon party, though.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Finch! posted:

I really liked Thong Nai Pan Noi on Koh Phangan a few years ago, but that's probably a vastly different place now. Maybe Bottle Beach on Phangan?
Ao Thong Nai Pan is my favorite too, though I haven't been in years. Aussie friend of mine basically moved there for six months recently and said it's still great. Dunno if that holds up, but in my heart it's true.

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010
Can anyone recommend tasty Cambodian dishes that don't contain coconut? It seems like it's a pretty prominent ingredient and I'm traveling with someone who hates the taste of coconut. We're traveling through Thailand and Cambodia and I'll have no trouble guiding her to good Thai dishes without it but I have zero experience with Cambodian food.

Tytan
Sep 17, 2011

u wot m8?
It's used a lot in Cambodian sweets so will most likely need to avoid those. If she can't even stand it in curries then she may have to miss Amok and the thicker soups/Samlor too.

Most other things will be fine, particularly stir fried or bbq stuff. As for something specific, Pleah Sach Ko/Beef Salad is awesome when it's made well, and doesn't have any coconut.

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen

Leviathan Song posted:

Can anyone recommend tasty Cambodian dishes that don't contain coconut? It seems like it's a pretty prominent ingredient and I'm traveling with someone who hates the taste of coconut. We're traveling through Thailand and Cambodia and I'll have no trouble guiding her to good Thai dishes without it but I have zero experience with Cambodian food.

This might be a terribly patronizing question, but has she tried eating coconut in SE Asia as opposed to western nations? The only reason I ask is because I grew up hating "coconut" because most of my exposure to it was that lovely white flaky stuff you get on some cookies and candies, or in artificial drink mixes. Then I moved to Cambodia and I understood what it meant to eat ACTUAL coconut, which is nothing like that weird poo poo.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

air- posted:

Hey SE Asia thread! I land in Bangkok late tonight and I'd be down to grab a beer tomorrow if anyone happens to be free. Doing the Vietnam, Cambodia, Thailand route and will be headed to Hanoi on Wednesday.

Further update on Vietnam, I'd be happy to meet up if anyone is along my route! I'm going to Sapa before heading southbound to Phong Nha, Hue, Hoi An, and Da Nang. Plan is still pretty much work in progress.

Very willing to go out of my way for good food and I've already been blown away by the pho and bun cha hanoi.

E: nearly forgot that I'm itching to do this in Hue:
http://asiainsider.asia360travel.com/2011/10/a-royal-dinner-in-imperial-hue/

air- fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Oct 8, 2015

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

CronoGamer posted:

This might be a terribly patronizing question, but has she tried eating coconut in SE Asia as opposed to western nations? The only reason I ask is because I grew up hating "coconut" because most of my exposure to it was that lovely white flaky stuff you get on some cookies and candies, or in artificial drink mixes. Then I moved to Cambodia and I understood what it meant to eat ACTUAL coconut, which is nothing like that weird poo poo.

It's a fair question and you're probably right on point with that. At the same time, I'd rather help her find other foods she will enjoy than second guess it. She's an adult who's willing to try anything but mushrooms coconut, and peas; that's a list a lot shorter than most people's.

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working

That's like the super cliche touristy thing to do in Hue. :( But at least I've heard the food is good.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

CronoGamer posted:

Agree with this very much. Coconut water became a big thing in the US somewhat recently and they all taste like hot liquid rear end except the ones that are unpasteurized and from Thailand which have the exact sweet oviod flavor I remember and like.

Leviathan Song posted:

It's a fair question and you're probably right on point with that. At the same time, I'd rather help her find other foods she will enjoy than second guess it. She's an adult who's willing to try anything but mushrooms coconut, and peas; that's a list a lot shorter than most people's.

Have you considered changing spouses instead of helping her through selective diet choices?

Also an adult who doesn't eat mushrooms, peas and coconut is not a short list unless she'll happily gobble calf brain and fish skin and whatever.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Senso posted:

That's like the super cliche touristy thing to do in Hue. :( But at least I've heard the food is good.

Ah I love that the suggestion to do this was from a Vietnamese friend in the states who is so bent on doing "authentic" off the beaten path kinda poo poo. Still, open to suggestions!

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

Sheep-Goats posted:

Agree with this very much. Coconut water became a big thing in the US somewhat recently and they all taste like hot liquid rear end except the ones that are unpasteurized and from Thailand which have the exact sweet oviod flavor I remember and like.

Have you considered changing spouses instead of helping her through selective diet choices?

Also an adult who doesn't eat mushrooms, peas and coconut is not a short list unless she'll happily gobble calf brain and fish skin and whatever.

She'll happily share a whole grilled fish, skin, eyes, and all. I'm not sure about brain but organs or calf fries are fine. I don't think I've ever met an adult who doesn't have 2 or 3 things they can't stand. For me it's cauliflower and scallops. Although scallops cause me to break out in hives, swell up, and puke until there is no more stomach lining so that's more my body not liking it.

I've made Thai curry at home with almond milk and it turns out pretty well. I make a fresh curry paste with real kaffir lime leaves, lemon grass, and galangal so at that point I can't tell that it's almond milk.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
No coconut is one thing. But mushrooms and coconut is just a big no no.

Wow someone else who has an even more annoying diet than overpaid diplomats

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

Leviathan Song posted:

I don't think I've ever met an adult who doesn't have 2 or 3 things they can't stand.

Me, I am this adult. You also are this adult - your scallop allergy doesn't count.

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010
So I'm on my way back to Thailand right now, third trip in four years. I'm obviously very excited. This time around I have planned less than ever and have no real objectives beyond go to Ko Tao and do a diving course then a few dives. Is it Big Blue that the thread recommends?

Is Ko Samui worth a visit. I've heard different things. Is there any windsurfing in that area? I went kitesurfing in Hua Hin a few years ago but can't find anything about windsurfing in Thailand.

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

eviljelly posted:

Me, I am this adult. You also are this adult - your scallop allergy doesn't count.

I guess I've just spent too much time in the midwest...she's relatively adventurous compared to my anecdotal experience. Most people I know who refuse to eat real vegetables.
I once went on a date with a massively overweight vegan with a soy allergy. I never got a straight answer on what that girl actually ate.

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

A Small Toilet posted:

So I'm on my way back to Thailand right now, third trip in four years. I'm obviously very excited. This time around I have planned less than ever and have no real objectives beyond go to Ko Tao and do a diving course then a few dives. Is it Big Blue that the thread recommends?

Is Ko Samui worth a visit. I've heard different things. Is there any windsurfing in that area? I went kitesurfing in Hua Hin a few years ago but can't find anything about windsurfing in Thailand.

I recommend New Way in Sairee (but I'm biased - I worked there for a long time) or Ocean Sound in Chalok (never worked there, but I know Will, the owner - SUPER nice guy, really great about staffing and runs his shop very professionally. Only downside is that it's a less fun shop - no alcohol at the shop). Big Blue is definitely on the better end of the big dive shops on the island, but I think it's not a great diving experience to be on a huge boat that drops off 50-100 divers at a dive site.

Koh Samui is fine if you have a short vacation and just need to fly in and out quick, but it sounds like you have plenty of time. No reason to go to Samui if you have the time to go to Tao.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Leviathan Song posted:

She'll happily share a whole grilled fish, skin, eyes, and all. I'm not sure about brain but organs or calf fries are fine. I don't think I've ever met an adult who doesn't have 2 or 3 things they can't stand. For me it's cauliflower and scallops. Although scallops cause me to break out in hives, swell up, and puke until there is no more stomach lining so that's more my body not liking it.

I've made Thai curry at home with almond milk and it turns out pretty well. I make a fresh curry paste with real kaffir lime leaves, lemon grass, and galangal so at that point I can't tell that it's almond milk.

I don't like squash a whole lot but I'll certainly eat it without complaint, so now you've met one. (Edit: three)

IMO when you sub out coconut for something else to make a curry what you miss most is the sweetness of the coconut rather than the actual coconut flavor. In curry though yeah, it's not essential. Of course a lot of Asian chefs think any minor alteration of their dish is the loving end of the world (then they tell you about six guys they know who all do it differently but also make their food delicious). Also it's more the mushrooms thing that throws me as there are so many different mushrooms all with pretty different flavors and all of them being delicious to the point that they're used as meat subs for vegetarians etc. How can you not like mushrooms unless you're literally three years old.

Anyway please sever just sever SEVER SEVERRRRRRRRRRRRR

raton fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Oct 9, 2015

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

Sheep-Goats posted:

I don't like squash a whole lot but I'll certainly eat it without complaint, so now you've met one. (Edit: three)

IMO when you sub out coconut for something else to make a curry what you miss most is the sweetness of the coconut rather than the actual coconut flavor. In curry though yeah, it's not essential. Of course a lot of Asian chefs think any minor alteration of their dish is the loving end of the world (then they tell you about six guys they know who all do it differently but also make their food delicious). Also it's more the mushrooms thing that throws me as there are so many different mushrooms all with pretty different flavors and all of them being delicious to the point that they're used as meat subs for vegetarians etc. How can you not like mushrooms unless you're literally three years old.

Anyway please sever just sever SEVER SEVERRRRRRRRRRRRR

That's exactly why almond milk is such a good substitute for coconut milk and a terrible substitute for actual milk, it has a sweet fruity taste like coconut and unlike coconut you can get it at least vaguely fresh in the us.

I will make sure that I deeply contemplate whether I can love someone that doesn't love mushrooms. I promise you I'll be thinking about it on the way to the altar next week. Will we marry or will I roam to Bangkok alone and unloved? Like the poor mushrooms she leaves upon the plate, she may be standing upon the dessert.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Leviathan Song posted:

I will make sure that I deeply contemplate whether I can love someone that doesn't love mushrooms. I promise you I'll be thinking about it on the way to the altar next week. Will we marry or will I roam to Bangkok alone and unloved? Like the poor mushrooms she leaves upon the plate, she may be standing upon the dessert.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Q8DgBw8zUY&t=130s

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

Holy poo poo has anyone been here?

http://travel.cnn.com/bangkok/shop/nightingale-olympic-bangkok-nostalgia-collides-back-breaking-relics-214564

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found

A Small Toilet posted:

Samui can be OK. It's slowly growing on me if I want to do the resort thing but it's still a big, nasty, smelly, expensive island. I recently spent a week at a place called Taling Ngam, at The Sunset Resort. It was excellent, if you want to do very little. I then had the misfortune of spending time in Chaweng, and it was as horrible as ever. I guess Samui is more of a resort island, with real world resort prices. It's missable, but I was really impressed with the week at The Sunset.

There are a ton of dive shops on Tao. I'm biased toward Big Blue because that's where I've done all my training but if the size of the place is a turn off (though their facilities are excellent and the vibe is pretty cool) then around the same area are options like Mojo Divers, Roctopus, New Way, and if you want to go high end, ACE Marine Images do more than just photography courses.

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

Finch! posted:

Samui can be OK. It's slowly growing on me if I want to do the resort thing but it's still a big, nasty, smelly, expensive island. I recently spent a week at a place called Taling Ngam, at The Sunset Resort. It was excellent, if you want to do very little. I then had the misfortune of spending time in Chaweng, and it was as horrible as ever. I guess Samui is more of a resort island, with real world resort prices. It's missable, but I was really impressed with the week at The Sunset.

There are a ton of dive shops on Tao. I'm biased toward Big Blue because that's where I've done all my training but if the size of the place is a turn off (though their facilities are excellent and the vibe is pretty cool) then around the same area are options like Mojo Divers, Roctopus, New Way, and if you want to go high end, ACE Marine Images do more than just photography courses.

I second big blue. I did my open water there and they were awesome. The instructor was the type to calmly but firmly walk you through everything. Never angry but never smoothing over your screw-ups. Also all of the equipment seemed really well maintained.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Add this to the list of, "How did I not know about this?" places. I've even been to it, just never in.

Finch! posted:

I prefer Lamai when I'm in Samui. It's a legit expat community. Of course it's salty as Hell and full of dirtbags, but it's endlessly entertaining and close enough to all the things you want to do while also being a real town. Bo Phut is also popular and was picked up early by the French due to the cute fishing village vibe, but I find it to be full of French (lol). I don't think Lamai would be hugely interesting for tourists, of course, but I like it. also, good trail running from there.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

I asked my Thai friends about it in group chat and most people had this false impression that it was a sports museum or something.

Barfolemew
Dec 5, 2011

Non Serviam
gently caress diving in Koh Tao* . Just go to Banyan bar and get drunk for a week. Thats what i did, it was fun.

*Murder Island.

Barfolemew fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Oct 11, 2015

Barfolemew
Dec 5, 2011

Non Serviam
I was there when all that poo poo happened in Ko Tao. How was the trial? Havent really been following the case as im stuck in shitville country.

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

it is not the first time I have been racist in the name of my own mistake and sadly probably not the last
I've been on Ko Phangan for a few days staying in the Lighthouse Bungalows. It's super quiet and deserted, even on Haad Rin, which is a serious hike up and down a hill and I haven't even bothered to make in the past couple days.

This is all nice, and what I asked for, but I think I better go interact with other humans soon. I planned to go to the Loi Lay party last night, but got lazy. Anyone have experience with the Black Moon Culture party? Is that a good time?

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
The smaller parties vary a lot more from event to event than the big one but, as a rule, many people prefer them. You should go.

When I'm in Phangan I always get a massaman beef curry from BT restaurant. BT is a short way away from Outback bar on that street that runs from the pier on the western beach across town to the eastern beach (exits next to Cactus Bar). It's on the corner if you walk west a short ways from Outback. I'm not saying it's the best ever but I sure do like it a lot.

You may see fliers around for Munchies boat tour. It's a good deal and easy to meet people on, you get to see a few of the landmarks like the Rama V rock, you stop at some of the historically boat only beaches, and get to do a little fishy lookin in the snorkeling sports (rent and bring fins if you want them, they will have snorkels and masks). If you don't see fliers and are interested literally any travel agent on the island will book you on to it. It leaves from the pier in the AM.

raton fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Oct 12, 2015

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I decided to go to Samui in the hopes of doing some windsurfing before moving on to Ko Tao, but now I've heard there isn't much wind so I might only stay for a day or two before moving on. That's the thing I've loved about SE Asia every time I visit, so easy to move around so not a big deal to check out a place and move on. Still excited to hit some beaches!

No decision on diving schools yet but will let the thread know the big decision there too!

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
Anyone ever been to Phú Quốc Island? If I ever went back to SE Asia I was considering checking it out.

Tytan
Sep 17, 2011

u wot m8?
Never been, I just know you can go there visa free if you're flying in (I think if you go by boat you will be coming from Vietnam anyway).

If you do go please make sure to complain about the drat Vietnamese stealing our island.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

I'm thinking of doing one of those Top Gear motorbike tours from Hue to Hoi An, just wondering though... who has done this before? I'm mainly curious regarding recommended riding skill level and traffic because my only experience was in rural Taiwan and traffic wasn't very busy.

Aug 4, 2010

air- posted:

I'm thinking of doing one of those Top Gear motorbike tours from Hue to Hoi An, just wondering though... who has done this before? I'm mainly curious regarding recommended riding skill level and traffic because my only experience was in rural Taiwan and traffic wasn't very busy.

Im planning on doing that this year or the beginning of next year, as far as I can tell people say to avoid highway 1 (National Route 1A) as much as you can since that is the main shipping lane filled with trucks and the road quality isnt the best. So instead of the costal route that the top gear crew took im going to take Ho Chi Minh Highway to see the Vietnam highlands.

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working

www posted:

Im planning on doing that this year or the beginning of next year, as far as I can tell people say to avoid highway 1 (National Route 1A) as much as you can since that is the main shipping lane filled with trucks and the road quality isnt the best. So instead of the costal route that the top gear crew took im going to take Ho Chi Minh Highway to see the Vietnam highlands.

Yes, that. I've driven on the A1 many times and I've also seen motorbikes under the front wheels of lorry trucks many times...

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

Comb Your Beard posted:

Anyone ever been to Phú Quốc Island? If I ever went back to SE Asia I was considering checking it out.

I found it really boring. Vietnam is great for cities, mountains, inland stuff. The beaches and islands are basically all terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ted Ed Fred
May 4, 2004

fuck this band
Does anyone know the best places to get good rates on foreign currency in Bangkok? I'm arriving next week, but I'm flying out to Tokyo and the Taipei towards the end of November and would like to arrive with cash, especially in Tokyo.

Also if anyone fancies meeting up for a drink or some food next week let me know, I'm a 31 year old dude, into music and food. I haven't been to Thailand for five years so it'll be cool to see how it's changed since I was there last. Can't wait to get out there!