Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DaRealAce
Dec 27, 2004
Touch It.. No I dont want to... TOUCH IT!

Shrimpy posted:

I used to have the same issue and it was all tied to my name. TSA Pre had my middle name and whenever I booked I included it, but our office didn't.

You can use the Universal Enrollment website to ensure you're using the right name: https://universalenroll.dhs.gov/workflows?workflow=service-status

Is this only for TSA-PRE or also Global Entry?

I tried my name exactly as approved on my Global Entry application and it came back with nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice
Marriott: 92 nights this year
Southwest: 38 flights this year
Car: Spread out amongst too many companies to bother tracking, bah

I just signed a short term lease on an apt for my current gig, no more hotel! No more points, but I can actually leave my laundry and food here and sleep in my own bed every night, so that's been great. I'm also driving the 400 roundtrip miles weekly since air travel is impractical, but I should hit my A-list preferred and companion pass for next year by the end of this year based on credit card points. The weekly living expenses allowance is generous, too. Living the dream!

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.

DaRealAce posted:

Is this only for TSA-PRE or also Global Entry?

I tried my name exactly as approved on my Global Entry application and it came back with nothing.

I only have TSA Pre (because I'm an idiot and didn't know about the $15 Global Entry piece), so my one data point says "TSA Pre".

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

Ynglaur posted:

What is the likelihood that Delta would upgrade me to Platinum or Diamond if I called them?

I'm guessing 0% chance since the rules for the medallion tiers say you have to hit both mileage and dollars. I had dollars but was like 3000 miles short of hitting Gold last year and there was nothing they could do about it besides offer to let me buy MQMs for an unreasonable price.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Ynglaur posted:

On Delta, I have almost enough dollars for Diamond. My miles and segments are firmly in Gold territory, and unlikely to reach Platinum by the end of the year. What is the likelihood that Delta would upgrade me to Platinum or Diamond if I called them?

It's not like they'll take away your status if you ask.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

TheWevel posted:

I'm guessing 0% chance since the rules for the medallion tiers say you have to hit both mileage and dollars. I had dollars but was like 3000 miles short of hitting Gold last year and there was nothing they could do about it besides offer to let me buy MQMs for an unreasonable price.

No offense meant, but there's a big difference between spending six grand and fifteen grand with an airline and that probably is reflected in the response to request.

Mooecow
Aug 2, 2005

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I can think of 3 out of 80something upgradeable domestic segments I did not receive an upgrade that weren't IRROPS or me trying to hop an earlier flight. Even IRROPS I usually get bumped up.

You're doing better than I am, I think I get upgraded about 75% of the time. But I fly almost exclusively Monday morning / Thursday night which tends to be pretty difficult. The few times I flew on a different day my upgrades always cleared 5 days out and I was confused why the upgrade list wasn't 50+ people long.

Delta: 117,366 MQMs / 136 Segments. Currently DM, Plat next year but will be DM after next weeks flight
Marriott: 188 nights (103 stayed, 80 rollover, 5 credit card bonus). Plat for the next couple years
Hertz: Presidents Circle this year and next

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Delta: 75,819MQM; hit PM my last trip. Not likely to hit DM but will rollover a bunch next year.

Marriott: Gold, not likely to touch Platinum there this year.

Avis: Preferred Plus. Not that will get me anything meaningful.

Speaking of Platinum on Delta, I chose the 4 domestic upgrade certs as my "gift". Does anyone know if these even guarantee anything? I know they put me near the top of the upgrade list but I've had some coworkers get burned by them.

Looks like I might be pulling in enough next year to hit Diamond so at least I got that going for me.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

Higgy posted:

Speaking of Platinum on Delta, I chose the 4 domestic upgrade certs as my "gift". Does anyone know if these even guarantee anything? I know they put me near the top of the upgrade list but I've had some coworkers get burned by them.
If you use a RUC to try and upgrade, the only people that should be higher than you would be Diamond members using one too. Not sure how you would get burned by one, because even if you try and use it, and your upgrade doesn't clear, you hold onto it for use later.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
69,355 PQM on UA but I've got a personal trip to Europe and a trip to PDX booked, leaving me only 14,000 short of 1K requal. I've got one more paid J trip to China to be booked and that will take care of that, so I should be good.

I'm also at 21 of 25 required stays to requal for SPG Plat so that should be no big deal between now and the end of the year.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Is SPG Gold vs Plat much of a difference? We get Gold via the SPG Amex (and spending way too much money on that card) but just curious whether it is worth much.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

smackfu posted:

Is SPG Gold vs Plat much of a difference? We get Gold via the SPG Amex (and spending way too much money on that card) but just curious whether it is worth much.

In my experience the difference in benefits between SPG Platinum and Gold is way wider than the difference between Gold and no status at all.

As SPG Gold, that would would get me upgrades to nicer studio-style rooms (often a corner room on a higher floor). Once I hit Platinum, I got automatically upgraded into suites on probably 80% of my stays. Platinums also got access to club lounges, regardless of what room you booked or were upgraded into.

While they have rooms on club levels that are otherwise "standard style" if they were on a different floor, I've never once been upgraded into such a room as a gold member. I assume that's per policy.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
What do I do with 36k Amex Rewards? I'm probably going to trade them for Avios for short-haul AA domestic awards for friends/family, but are there better uses?

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
https://www.reddit.com/r/churning/comments/3dwl1z/faq_different_ways_to_use_american_express_mr/

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

I had actually confirmed I got registered for an AA elite status challenge needing 5k/9k/25k EQPs respectively. I had a trip in mind for a few weeks from now, and if I wanted to, I could dole out about $1500 to get a fare class that'll put me right around 6.5k EQP, and the other 2.5k to reach plat are pretty doable but I'd at least have gold. My instinct tells me though that unless I can absolutely hit plat and I'll be flying something like 8-10+ times in the next year that it's not worth the money though, right? Otherwise I can save about a grand and burn some UR points (I kind of need to)/cash to fly on Virgin Atlantic and be in a better class if I wanted. I still don't completely understand the auto-upgrades, but it seems like it just puts in a request and then you have to use the 500-mile upgrades any way if you actually want to upgrade, should one be available?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

AA Platinum isn't that good since you're still on stickers. I would not spend a thousand dollars to get AA Platinum again even if I were still doing 40+ segments. AA keeps offering it to me for $699, so that should give you an idea of what the cash value upper bound is.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

That's what I figured but I appreciate the feedback. I know people are offered to purchase it, though I figured you had to have at least some level of status (maybe not). I hadn't booked anything at all so I may just burn my UR points.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I think I'm gold still, or something.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

smackfu posted:

Plat is much better than Gold as kitten smoothie pointed out. It is particularly nice when you visit international SPG properties as the upgrades and whatnot tend to be more awesome.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Dumb question: why would Delta send out a schedule change notice that doesn't seem to be a change?

Original booking:

Schedule change mail:

(The yellow highlighting is GMail's fault.)

Maybe it was an aircraft type change?

smackfu fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Oct 14, 2015

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

smackfu posted:

Dumb question: why would Delta send out a schedule change notice that doesn't seem to be a change?

Original booking:

Schedule change mail:

Did the operating carrier change on either segment? It doesn't appear to have but that would trigger the email.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?
That, or perhaps an aircraft type change.

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

smackfu posted:

Original booking:

Schedule change mail:

You don't have seats on the return segment anymore, so I'd guess equipment change.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Good news - maybe AZ finally updated the last of their lovely A332s with an interior from 1996!

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Thanks for the ideas. It seems like that AZ route randomly switches between A332s and B772s now. But ours is an A332. Oh well.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

AA Platinum isn't that good since you're still on stickers. I would not spend a thousand dollars to get AA Platinum again even if I were still doing 40+ segments. AA keeps offering it to me for $699, so that should give you an idea of what the cash value upper bound is.

Platinum is nice for international lounge access and priority luggage, which you don't get at gold. That being said, you can buy international lounge day passes for fairly cheap.

I considered it since I'm like 10k short and am now mostly international, but it just isn't worth it at $50/day or whatever it is for a lounge pass. And after 14 hours 15 minutes for luggage isn't that big of a deal.

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

I STOLE A PIE FROM ESTELLE GETTY
RIP US Airways!!!

Higgy posted:

Delta: 75,819MQM; hit PM my last trip. Not likely to hit DM but will rollover a bunch next year.

Marriott: Gold, not likely to touch Platinum there this year.

Avis: Preferred Plus. Not that will get me anything meaningful.

Looks like I might be pulling in enough next year to hit Diamond so at least I got that going for me.

You can use regionals for Delta One on JFK-SFO/LAX, which are no longer complimentary.

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

"I hereby retire from Mafia"
Please turbo me if you catch me in a game.
Oh well new minimal travel job... Going to be at 59500 + a few SEA-PDX trips at the end of the year unless I do something. Seriously considering doing SEA-NRT-SIN-NRT-SEA to visit some former work friends and eat curry in Kuala Lumpur so I can hit Platinum again. $900 flight + cheap hotels so I can get upgrades on about a dozen domestics next year...

Higgy posted:

I just used them for the first time. Wife and I are going SEA-OGG so I called before picking them and made sure there was space to get upgraded immediately. There was so I selected them, waited a few hours for them to show up in my wallet with cert numbers and called back. Worked great. Wouldn't use them till I knew there was space on the flight I wanted though.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

You get em back if they don't post, just like Globals.

turing_test
Feb 27, 2013

Is anyone familiar with how Delta Medallion upgrades work with flight interruptions? My flight yesterday was delayed due to mechanical issues with the plane, so I missed my connection and was rebooked on a later flight. My upgrade cleared on rebooking despite there being a ton of platinum medallion members on my flight (I'm Silver, and my second leg was originally in Comfort+).

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

IRROps usually get rebooked in fully Y, which clears before discount fare classes. Comfort+ does not matter.

Check:
http://cwsi.net/mupc/

You're a FO (Flying Orchid lmao) and in Y, you clear before all but DM, PM and GM in Y.

The Risk
Mar 6, 2014
I am trying to plan my flights for the rest of the year and I want to be efficient selecting airlines to get high tier status on both.

I fly AA and United and would like to see if there is an easy way to figure out how many points/pqm I will make in my current reservations and new ones.

Both airlines have lovely websites and provide no functionality to looks this up easily.

Is there some software or something else that does not require any effort or spreadsheet?

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

Grimey Drawer
After looking at my work travel schedule for the rest of the year, and having a personal trip to Europe for Christmas, I'll be about 15k miles short of Diamond for Delta. To anyone else that has been in this situation before, is it worth a mileage run to bump myself up to Diamond, or just roll over what I got, which would be silver already with a big chunk of Gold taken care of too. MQDs are not an issue because I have the $25k card spend taken care of.

Edit: poo poo, no. I'll only be 5k miles short because I'll hit the next $25k card spend MQM bump from my Amex platinum Delta card. I should be able to do a cheap domestic MR and knock this out.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

DJCobol posted:

After looking at my work travel schedule for the rest of the year, and having a personal trip to Europe for Christmas, I'll be about 15k miles short of Diamond for Delta. To anyone else that has been in this situation before, is it worth a mileage run to bump myself up to Diamond, or just roll over what I got, which would be silver already with a big chunk of Gold taken care of too. MQDs are not an issue because I have the $25k card spend taken care of.

Edit: poo poo, no. I'll only be 5k miles short because I'll hit the next $25k card spend MQM bump from my Amex platinum Delta card. I should be able to do a cheap domestic MR and knock this out.

If you travel overseas at all in Y, the global upgrades alone are worth it imo.

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

The Risk posted:

I am trying to plan my flights for the rest of the year and I want to be efficient selecting airlines to get high tier status on both.

I fly AA and United and would like to see if there is an easy way to figure out how many points/pqm I will make in my current reservations and new ones.

Both airlines have lovely websites and provide no functionality to looks this up easily.

Is there some software or something else that does not require any effort or spreadsheet?

For AA I use Mile Calc (http://www.milecalc.com/) but I do still track them/add them up in a spreadsheet

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

Grimey Drawer

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

If you travel overseas at all in Y, the global upgrades alone are worth it imo.

I don't travel outside the US or Canada for work, but I want to take a few international trips next year. I plan on using my platinum choice to get the 4 RUCs, and then if I hit Diamond, taking the 4 GUCs and the 25k bonus miles. I still need to get on the upper deck of a 747 before Delta retires them all. I'm planning BNA-DTW-ICN-PEK trip because the only routes I can see that Delta will have next year will be DTW to NRT and ICN. And I've just about gotten my new car down payment fund where I want it, so I plan on buying a new BMW 4 series next year and doing European delivery next fall.

DJCobol fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Oct 19, 2015

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

"I hereby retire from Mafia"
Please turbo me if you catch me in a game.
A few years ago I was going to do a run from Atlanta to Singapore to hit Diamond but decided to do rollover instead. Now that GUCs are a thing I would be doing that in a heartbeat (assuming they are as easy to use as they appear, I haven't looked)

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

AdrenalinG posted:

RIP US Airways!!!
Well, you know, even though the wife was taken her husband's name, it's questionable as to who's calling the shots.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Arzakon posted:

A few years ago I was going to do a run from Atlanta to Singapore to hit Diamond but decided to do rollover instead. Now that GUCs are a thing I would be doing that in a heartbeat (assuming they are as easy to use as they appear, I haven't looked)

Ha, that's the route I was looking at. BNA-ATL-JFK-NRT-SIN-NRT-JFK-ATL-BNA. If my second card spend MQM bump comes through though, I think just a transcon between ATL and LAX round trip will take care of me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Arzakon posted:

I've had very good luck with GUCs.

I don't think I would take the RUCs for the PM gift, but I guess since they work on lie-flat transcon they might be more valuable now?