Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

My favorite part is layering photos of abortion with gay pride parade.

Also the "feminist" watering her garden while whining abut feminism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

'HYPER LIBERAL'

It's nice when they just make up random new insults on the fly.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Haven't had much time to practice this one, I call it Hyper Liberal 3.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I like how they list BOX OFFICE SMASH-HIT Unstoppable, to make you think he directed the 2010 film with Denzel Washington and Chris Pine. When actually, he directed some lovely documentary with Kirk Cameron.

He also directed Saving Christmas, the Kirk Cameron hit!

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

I love the idea that someone them protesting his free speech ins't free speech.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It's a comma apocalypse is, what, it is.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

The Kins posted:

Gears of War 4 looks like a bit of a departure from the rest of the series stylistically...
Because the guy on the cover has a neck?

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012
There's a pretty good idea for a movie in the Supreme Court declaring violence is speech and all laws against assault and murder are unconstitutional.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!
I'm not sure if it's terrible, but my local theater is playing some movie called Woodlawn with this synopsis:

quote:

After a government-mandate, Tony Nathan, a gifted high school football player, and other African-American students desegregate Woodlawn High School in Birmingham, Alabama in 1973. As cross burnings and riots erupt in the city, Tandy Gerelds, the Woodlawn Colonels football coach, struggles to ease racial tensions between his players. It's only when Gerelds allows Hank, an outsider, to speak to his team that real change begins. Hank, who has been radically affected by the message of hope and love he experienced at a Christian revival meeting, tells the players a "better way" is possible through following Jesus. More than 40 players, nearly the entire team, black and white, give their lives over to Jesus Christ and the spiritual change has a profound effect on the coach, the school and the community.

Boy howdy I'm sure all those folks in 1973 Alabama have never been exposed to evangelical Christianity.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

So Remember the Titans but the players get along because of religion, instead of just, you know, not being assholes?

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I wondered what the Capalert site had to say on Remember the Titans and I was surprised under "Offenses to God" they didn't go into taking points off for referring to the Greco-Roman mythology.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

Mordiceius posted:

I like how they list BOX OFFICE SMASH-HIT Unstoppable, to make you think he directed the 2010 film with Denzel Washington and Chris Pine. When actually, he directed some lovely documentary with Kirk Cameron.

You mean he directed the Box office smash the size of the Chrysler building?!!?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SsYqFDmLR8

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

JediTalentAgent posted:

I wondered what the Capalert site had to say on Remember the Titans and I was surprised under "Offenses to God" they didn't go into taking points off for referring to the Greco-Roman mythology.

Probably they never learned about the mythological Titans in (home)school and were never curious as to where the word "titan" came from.

I was curious how badly CapAlert would slam The Last Temptation of Christ, only to find that it has never been reviewed! How will good Christians know to avoid a movie where Jesus lusts after Mary Magdalene?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

CAP has some weird blind spots. He loves Star Trek and Mary Poppins and would get furious with people who called them at all blasphemous. This was back when he responded to e-mail.

He also hated Star Trek the Next Generation because Riker was promiscuous.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Isn't Mary Poppins essentially a witch? Otherwise she's powered by time travelling nanites or she's an angel.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

JediTalentAgent posted:

Isn't Mary Poppins essentially a witch? Otherwise she's powered by time travelling nanites or she's an angel.

Or, in the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, she's God, and responsible for defeating the Antichrist Harry Potter. . Alan Moore is weird.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Jack Gladney posted:

CAP has some weird blind spots. He loves Star Trek and Mary Poppins and would get furious with people who called them at all blasphemous. This was back when he responded to e-mail.

He also hated Star Trek the Next Generation because Riker was promiscuous.

Back when I was like 11 I emailed CAP about his Sin City review, because his abhorrence of Hartigan killing himself made no sense to me. I actually got a reasonably thoughtful reply; I kind of wish I still had that email so I could dig it up, but the general thrust of it was that in CAP's view of Christian theology, suicide is never acceptable regardless of the reasons- even if you're dying to save another, it's still a mortal sin. He was also kind of appalled that I'd seen the movie; I don't remember if I mentioned that I was a kid or if he could just tell (probably the latter).

In hindsight, I probably should have pointed out that that's basically what Christ did, but I probably wouldn't have gotten quite as nice of a reply.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Oct 19, 2015

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

LORD OF BUTT posted:

In hindsight, I probably should have pointed out that that's basically what Christ did, but I probably wouldn't have gotten quite as nice of a reply.

Or worse, you could have gotten an enthusiastic layman's attempt to reconcile God's and therefore Jesus' foreknowledge of his fate and the idea of free will.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
His review of the 1999 movie "The Straight Story" has sort of a strange paragraph in it considering the place drugs/alcohol held/hold as part of 'sins'. Keep in mind, this IS 1999 when smoking was seemingly treated a lot differently in the eyes of the public compared to just a few years later to where movies sort of dropped smoking in large part almost overnight, people were starting to form groups to push for smoking in films to warrant mandatory R ratings, price of smokes got really expensive, etc.

(Bolding mine)

"Another element of possible entertainment ignominy might be noted in the reason for part of Alvin's ill health -- smoking -- for which the only "visible" consequences were a chewing out by a doctor. I have not incorporated smoking into the CAP analysis model. If I do, the integrity of the CAP analysis model would not be compromised but scores will generally be even lower than now. And likewise the scores of some of the more than 260 movies already analyzed should be lower. But then, if smoking in entertainment is determined to be a significant influence, the scores *should* be lower. What do YOU want me to do about smoking in the movies? Bottom line: is it a sin to smoke?"

They include drugs/alcohol content as things to mark against a film in the ratings, but somehow smoking isn't on that level?

The News at 5
Dec 25, 2009

I'm Chance Everyman.
Anybody bring up how Saving Christmas won Worst Picture at the Razzies this year?

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
No one has because The Razzies are very, very dumb.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

AGirlWonder posted:

I'm not sure that I mentioned it before, but my church's youth group does a monthly movie night. Last Friday, we watched John Q. I always love when we watch films that aren't explicitly Christian, and not just because they're usually better-made. It's not exactly a great movie, and it's surprisingly political in a way unexpected of an evangelical youth group, but the kids got a lot out of it. Next time we'll probably watch Dead Poet's Society, which I regrettably haven't seen. The kids are set on watching Star Wars soon, so we'll also be doing that. Do you all have any suggestions for "secular" movies with Christian themes, or even themes that would lead to good conversation about spirituality? For example, we watched Jurassic Park a few months ago and it was a huge hit. We do watch Christian movies, but good ones are harder to come by and we all know it.
The Iron Giant

The whole self sacrifice and death and rebirth bits are obvious as anything, but you can really get a lot out of the non-violence and de-escalation themes too.

http://www.wired.com/2009/08/a-decade-later-the-iron-giants-weaponized-soul-still-stirs/

As mentioned before, Iron Man is a fantastic secular conversion story, but for all the appeal of a weapons manufacturer who dedicates himself to peace after nearly dying to his own weapons, it ultimately leaves unquestioned the same base assumptions about the ability of violence and power fantasies to bring peace that virtually all superhero films, and action films in general, do. The Iron Giant presents a different point of view. Perhaps that is why the Iron Giant was a colossal failure at the box office, and Iron Man one of the biggest hits of the past decade.

Robotnik Nudes posted:

Did anyone suggest The End of Evangelion yet? Your group will live its use and handling of religious themes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-TTwFujxU0

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Cardboard Box A posted:

The Iron Giant

The whole self sacrifice and death and rebirth bits are obvious as anything, but you can really get a lot out of the non-violence and de-escalation themes too.

http://www.wired.com/2009/08/a-decade-later-the-iron-giants-weaponized-soul-still-stirs/

As mentioned before, Iron Man is a fantastic secular conversion story, but for all the appeal of a weapons manufacturer who dedicates himself to peace after nearly dying to his own weapons, it ultimately leaves unquestioned the same base assumptions about the ability of violence and power fantasies to bring peace that virtually all superhero films, and action films in general, do. The Iron Giant presents a different point of view. Perhaps that is why the Iron Giant was a colossal failure at the box office, and Iron Man one of the biggest hits of the past decade.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-TTwFujxU0
You're overlooking the whole thing where Iron Man is never redeemed, ends up working for Big Gubmint, and then Captain America and his band of rebelling true patriots kick the poo poo out of him for turning into a Nazi. Also Tony Stark's got crippling alcoholism and other mental health problems. He does need jesus but he constantly fails to live up to any set of christian values, instead bowing to capitalistic and government-based absolvement.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

coyo7e posted:

You're overlooking the whole thing where Iron Man is never redeemed, ends up working for Big Gubmint, and then Captain America and his band of rebelling true patriots kick the poo poo out of him for turning into a Nazi. Also Tony Stark's got crippling alcoholism and other mental health problems. He does need jesus but he constantly fails to live up to any set of christian values, instead bowing to capitalistic and government-based absolvement.

His suggestion reads like an unwitting parody of SMG's Iron Man review.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Oct 27, 2015

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
No but seriously to that person in the church, watch Groundhog Day in your church group. Everybody will like it and there are lots of things to discuss when you're done.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

MrBling posted:

No but seriously to that person in the church, watch Groundhog Day in your church group. Everybody will like it and there are lots of things to discuss when you're done.
andie macdowell was fine as hell in the 90s. discuss

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

coyo7e posted:

I'm just taking the first movie on it's own instead of as part of the Marvel Cinematic Universe

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

coyo7e posted:

andie macdowell was fine as hell in the 90s. discuss

Second.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Cardboard Box A posted:

I'm just taking the first movie on it's own instead of as part of the Marvel Cinematic Universe
I'll die happy if they go up to and through the Civil War in the movies, but I suspect it'd be way too politically volatile to have half of the most popular heroes from Marvel film and comics, literally become the Illuminati and work with weirdos like Namor and Black Bolt, and then have Captain America be like, "yo, you dudes are sick and twisted ya know?"

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

The Time Dissolver posted:

No one has because The Razzies are very, very dumb.

This. The Razzies have always been a circlejerk (certainly all film awards are) by disgruntled screenwriters and Hollywood insiders.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

More Xenosaga than Eva tbh.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

SSNeoman posted:

loving Zohar emulators. Never leave them lying around guys, it just cause troubles.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

that film's website posted:

“In God We Trust” is a psychological action horror trailer created with the meager budget of £1200.

“In God We Trust” serves as a demonstration piece designed to attract the attention of Film Studios and potential investors utilising a “Look what we have created with no resources, imagine what we could do with a reasonable budget” approach.
:sigh:
Well looks like we're not even getting an off-brand live action Evangelion movie.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

SSNeoman posted:

Theres a blast from the past. What the gently caress even happened in that game?

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

I just found the Dove Foundation's website. If your ever in Wal Mart and see films with that blue dove logo on them, this is who is in charge of them. http://www.dove.org/

Right away, They approved Pixles for all familes. http://www.dove.org/review/11438-pixels/

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

BigRed0427 posted:

Theres a blast from the past. What the gently caress even happened in that game?

God lost his battery and some German kid wanted to restart the universe.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
2God2Undead

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sxz-Y-c2UUc

I see it's hitting theaters on National Atheists' Day :smuggo:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Is that Robin Givens?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

DeusExMachinima posted:

2God2Undead

gently caress yeah Ray Wise. Half tempted to watch it just to watch him chew the scenery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

DeusExMachinima posted:

2God2Undead

I don't even know what to make of this. This is hilarious. You could maybe argue that the first one was kind of subtle, this one just goes full on that there is some government agency of evil atheists who are looking to destroy all Christianity.

• Locked thread