Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

One thing I liked about HP-UX was LVM.

That's about the only thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Raerlynn posted:

Isn't that a packet storm? I've had a bad switch do that too.
GM read all about in PC Magazine, and it's why larches should clearly be blamed for not implementing a Token Ring network to prevent this from happening in 1996.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

ponzicar posted:

Do it as quickly as possible, smile, say "have a nice day", and then quickly leave. You shouldn't care what she thinks, and since you provided quick and excellent service, you aren't at fault.

For a person like this, respond to everything as if they gave you a compliment. Not sarcastic. Imagine you're gaslighting the person and you want to make them think that they're trying to say mean things but only nice things are coming out of their mouth.

:argh: My computer is broken AGAIN
:) Click Click Click Fixed!
:argh: You're trying to make me look stupid
:) I'm glad I was able to quickly resolve the problem, have a great day
:argh: This always happens and I angry angry angry
:) I'm flattered, have a great day, I'm always here to help.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

larchesdanrew posted:

"I've seen this before when a network card dies. It's probably a bad network card somewhere."
"What made you think it was the ASR? Why would you even check that?"
"It's probably a virus"
"I've seen etherblasts before and this is probably an etherblast." (what)

Ether Blast
:techno:

And the funny thing is, there is no such thing as that in Network speak that I coul find from a quick Google Search

Malek fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Oct 15, 2015

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
Or it's just his strange term for voltage overloading a port? No idea.

Malek posted:

Ether Blast
:technobabble:

And the funny thing is, there is no such thing as that in Network speak that I coul find from a quick Google Search

:golfclap:

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
A quick and dirty greasemonkey script to really improve the quality of post in the IT threads.

http://pastebin.com/5aXYpbzB

On topic, I was handed a ticket yesterday to help get some of our customer facing support guys a webserver. I asked them for more information on what they are requesting and the response included something about how their personal VMs have 2GB of memory and 2 CPUs so he would expect the webserver to have more resources allocated to it. This is one of my pet peeves, assuming that because a service is important it must need more memory or cores than an unimportant service. Your tiny web service is probably going to be perfectly happy with 2 GB of memory and 2 CPUs given that the current version of it is completely happy with less memory and fewer cores.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I thought an ether blast was when you take one huge sniff of ether and then pass out on the floor knocking over everything you can on your way down. Do that in a lovely server room and you could do some damage.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
See, on a network cable, the information is represented by binary ones and zeroes.
As time goes on, the ones and zeroes zooming through the cable will hit the sides and put little dents nicks along the edges.

This doesn't affect the zeroes, but sometimes the ones can get misaligned and get stuck in a nick and cause a huge traffic jam that we call an Etherblast. The solution is to unplug both ends of the cable, reverse the whole cable and plug it back in. It'll reverse the flow and you're back in business!

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

See, on a network cable, the information is represented by binary ones and zeroes.
As time goes on, the ones and zeroes zooming through the cable will hit the sides and put little dents nicks along the edges.

This doesn't affect the zeroes, but sometimes the ones can get misaligned and get stuck in a nick and cause a huge traffic jam that we call an Etherblast. The solution is to unplug both ends of the cable, reverse the whole cable and plug it back in. It'll reverse the flow and you're back in business!

Excellent :golfclap:

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Jesus, this is beautiful

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

But then won't I get stale and reversed data from the ones and zeroes that were stuck? Goddamn computers are hard.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

HardDisk posted:

But then won't I get stale and reversed data from the ones and zeroes that were stuck? Goddamn computers are hard.

Just make sure to hold the entire length of the cable vertically for a couple minutes before plugging it in. Gotta let those stale bits drain out.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
Coming up on my one year anniversary at the company, and my senior coworker who has been here for four years and built most of the facilities we use just told me he is leaving at the end of the month. I do not want his job. There is so much poo poo and so many projects that I will inherit just because he and I are the only techs in the region.

:shepicide:

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

The Fool posted:

Just make sure to hold the entire length of the cable vertically for a couple minutes before plugging it in. Gotta let those stale bits drain out.

Don't forget to grab a bit bucket first.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

:golfclap: You're on a roll

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

captkirk posted:

A quick and dirty greasemonkey script to really improve the quality of post in the IT threads.

http://pastebin.com/5aXYpbzB
SA isn't a hugbox and it never has been. If "I won't see things I might not agree with, so I won't be offended for no reason" is "improve the quality", I hope you feel better.

Also, you can just set an ignore list, which might be easier than greasemonkey. But oh no! I pointed out how somebody was doing something backwards again! How dickish.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Just Offscreen posted:

Coming up on my one year anniversary at the company, and my senior coworker who has been here for four years and built most of the facilities we use just told me he is leaving at the end of the month. I do not want his job. There is so much poo poo and so many projects that I will inherit just because he and I are the only techs in the region.

:shepicide:

$$$$?

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.

evol262 posted:

SA isn't a hugbox and it never has been. If "I won't see things I might not agree with, so I won't be offended for no reason" is "improve the quality", I hope you feel better.

Also, you can just set an ignore list, which might be easier than greasemonkey. But oh no! I pointed out how somebody was doing something backwards again! How dickish.

It's not what you're saying, it's the way that you act like an over the top prick about everything. You sound like Comic Book Guy from the Simpsons, or maybe me when I was 15.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

Hahaha why do you think he is leaving? He has the same title as me plus a "senior" and i'll bet isn't paid any more.

Just Offscreen fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Oct 15, 2015

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Sinestro posted:

It's not what you're saying, it's the way that you act like an over the top prick about everything. You sound like Comic Book Guy from the Simpsons, or maybe me when I was 15.

I don't care. There are only so many ways to say it. You can read whatever inference you want into my posts. I do not care, and we don't need to derail the thread with a "evol sounds like a dick" conversation again. Can we move on?

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
I apologize, I forgot about quoted text. A patched version is out: http://pastebin.com/BjCpiZG8

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Kazinsal posted:

If I'm a wizard, I'm one who overthinks things.

i mean i'd just use init=/bin/sh but that's just me

fromoutofnowhere
Mar 19, 2004

Enjoy it while you can.

evol262 posted:

I don't care. There are only so many ways to say it. You can read whatever inference you want into my posts. I do not care, and we don't need to derail the thread with a "evol sounds like a dick" conversation again. Can we move on?

Except you do care, otherwise you wouldn't be here posting and replying. The issue with you is that he was telling a story, one that didn't require you to drop your dirty dick into to prove how much better something could have been if he had been up to snuff with current technologies or techniques.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

The Fool posted:

Personally I just unplug both ends, then blow in one end to clear out the bits.

It's easier and faster that way.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

evol262 posted:

I was more of an OpenSolaris fan, though I did like 10 more than AIX6 (AIX 4 being an obvious mess, and 5L being better than Sol9 and below). Solaris and AIX are both pretty stable (minus the already mentioned UFS problems, but ZFS-on-root is ok). SVM is an obvious mess that nobody should use, but that I've run into way too often in Solaris shops. Loved the hardware, hated AIX, and I can't even really put my finger on why. Heavy usage of inittab? Maybe. A bunch of variant-specific commands? Maybe, but that applies to every UNIX. LPARs? Maybe (they're cool, I just like zones better). At least it's still better than HP-UX.

I had someone come to me with a request to put some old HP-UX servers that had been on a shelf somewhere back into production. The operations teams began playing hot potato with the request while I took the requester aside and very politely explained that nobody in this entire company was crazy enough to sign up to support crap hardware for a crap OS that had been sitting on a shelf for the last four years, and that the real need was to get funding for eliminating whatever factors made them think HP-UX was a solution to any 2015 problem.

We're a mixed Solaris and Linux shop. I wrote our current Solaris deployment blueprint. It had some great features but Linux is completely eating its lunch now. Aside from a few legacy applications that still don't run on Linux, the only thing keeping Solaris around is sub-capacity licensing on SPARC. We can afford to do some things on LDOMs that would cost 5x as much to do in a VMware guest. Oracle's x86 virtualization stack would let us replace that problem with a different one but we're content to suffer with SPARC for the next 18 months or so.

I will miss ZFS when the time comes to ditch Solaris. It's not the best performer in the world but for 90% of the things I do, it beats hell out of Linux LVM.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

fromoutofnowhere posted:

Except you do care, otherwise you wouldn't be here posting and replying. The issue with you is that he was telling a story, one that didn't require you to drop your dirty dick into to prove how much better something could have been if he had been up to snuff with current technologies or techniques.

What the hell is the issue? Kazinsal came in stroking himself off with a story that made it seem like he was some elite hacking dude out of a bad 90's TV drama. We made fun of what he wrote for a bit, Evol called him out and end of story.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

BaseballPCHiker posted:

What the hell is the issue? Kazinsal came in stroking himself off with a story that made it seem like he was some elite hacking dude out of a bad 90's TV drama. We made fun of what he wrote for a bit, Evol called him out and end of story.

No poo poo. What he did worked, but was perhaps the dumbest way to do it. Plus, major luck involved because really? MD5?

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Renegret posted:

Personally I just unplug both ends, then blow in one end to clear out the bits.

It's easier and faster that way.

Your forceful ejection of the bits will cause more dings in the shielding, degrading your cable even further and causing more etherblasts.

The best way to clear a cable is with a tone tester, the sound waves harmlessly clear 1s and 0s.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

flosofl posted:

Plus, major luck involved because really? MD5?

Uh, isn't it not lucky at all since he included the $1$ at the start of his hash which indicates the hash to use?

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Nerds getting mad about other nerd not being nerdy enough for their nerd standards.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

fromoutofnowhere posted:

Except you do care, otherwise you wouldn't be here posting and replying.
The only I'm replying because the thread doesn't need a derail about it. We don't need a "I took a psych class in high school, and you do care because...". I don't. Take my word for it and move on with the thread.

captkirk posted:

Uh, isn't it not lucky at all since he included the $1$ at the start of his hash which indicates the hash to use?
Yes, shadow (well, cracklib) doesn't care as long as you specify. Blowfish matters, but suse does blowfish anyway.

Zorak of Michigan posted:

I will miss ZFS when the time comes to ditch Solaris. It's not the best performer in the world but for 90% of the things I do, it beats hell out of Linux LVM.

Maybe btrfs will be ready by then. Or just use zfs on linux if you don't need a supported RHEL config or anything. LVM is ok for non-mass-storage stuff, but its RAID functionality is sorely lacking, and mdraid sucks. Any SAN vendor is nicer for real storage, obviously, but I sort of miss being able to throw thumpers on the network as iscsi targets.

I still also like zones (and jails) somewhat better than LXC or docker. Especially branded zones. But I guess once you don't have legacy applications anymore, those don't matter as much.

Personal take is that I'd avoid Oracle VM like the plague unless you've really got a lot of Oracle middleware or need the licensing save on RDBMS. It's just... lacking, even compared to Xen Orchestra (though close to on par with the official XenServer client)

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

:vince:

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

RHEL 7 with XFS on LVM was pleasantly surprising. For my day to day filesystem management it's almost as easy as AIX.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Raerlynn posted:

Isn't that a packet storm? I've had a bad switch do that too.

"Jabbering NIC" is what we called it at my old job.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

alg posted:

RHEL 7 with XFS on LVM was pleasantly surprising. For my day to day filesystem management it's almost as easy as AIX.

As long as you don't need to shrink a file system. And as long as you have a new enough kernel to not hit this http://xfs.org/index.php/XFS_FAQ#Q:_Why_do_I_receive_No_space_left_on_device_after_xfs_growfs.3F

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

wank wank you're a pro vaper I'm not wooptiedoo...

I'm probably overreacting, but putting the complaint/issue in the subject line of an email, not adding anything to the body of the email is dickish. In this case, the coworker actually did add something to the body, just a lowercase signature...

And yeah I've posted and complained about this before in this thread, possibly also admitted to maybe overreacting... certain people do this regularly. Very irritating.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

captkirk posted:

As long as you don't need to shrink a file system. And as long as you have a new enough kernel to not hit this http://xfs.org/index.php/XFS_FAQ#Q:_Why_do_I_receive_No_space_left_on_device_after_xfs_growfs.3F

:stare:

It's all DBs, web servers and file shares so we never shrink systems... That 2nd thing though

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Happened to catch this comment in one of the setup tickets. This genius was tasked with routing a number to point to a certain extension.

"It said point to extension 2300, i pointed it to 2300 but I guess it was the wrong 2300"

I think whenever anyone in that department complains about the new QA procedures I'm going to point to this and let it speak for itself.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

drukqs posted:

I'm probably overreacting, but putting the complaint/issue in the subject line of an email, not adding anything to the body of the email is dickish. In this case, the coworker actually did add something to the body, just a lowercase signature...

And yeah I've posted and complained about this before in this thread, possibly also admitted to maybe overreacting... certain people do this regularly. Very irritating.

If the network was down... how did he expect the email to be sent?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

alg posted:

:stare:

It's all DBs, web servers and file shares so we never shrink systems... That 2nd thing though

FYI, this is already backported and fixed in RHEL 7.1 (kernel-3.10.0-210.el7)

• Locked thread