Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zoux
Apr 28, 2006

tsob posted:

I'm surprised the show doesn't have him running to New York for bagels or pizza for the gang, to Philadelphia for cheese steaks and so on as a bit of comedy just because he can. If you have the power to do stuff like that, why wouldn't you? Doesn't even always have to be food, he could be running to Chicago for a lecture or Los Angeles for a stand up show or something too. Just having him enjoy the freedom that kind of power can grant to make the world smaller basically. If he can cover a mile a second or more (which seems reasonable given some of the stuff the show has done) he could run anywhere in the US in under an hour I think. Which might not be worth it for food, but could be worth it for a good show or to escape a lovely day and enjoy some sunshine or what have you, so long as the act doesn't leave him physically drained. Which it doesn't seem to in most cases.

He ran to Coast City for pizza pies one time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

MacheteZombie posted:

That's a Clickhole article guys, a site run by the Onion as a parody of clickbait sites.

:thejoke:

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Decius posted:

They also missed the chance to have Flash asking him for advice every few episodes and him being at a different beach in a different part of the world, partying with different people every time, just chillin' for the next 15 years.

drat that's a great idea, imagine the writers all trying to figure out how to fit it into the shows budget.

writer 1 : Ok so this week we're having barry run to the taj mahal to have the father - son talk

writer 2: how much will that cost for a 2 minute scene

writer 1 : $900000000000

writer 1 : gently caress it just say that his dad is like really low on money, uhm he's in a trailer park........how much does the dad actor cost anyway?

writer 2 : $900000000

writer 1 : this motherfucker is getting written out NOW!

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

MacheteZombie posted:

That's a Clickhole article guys, a site run by the Onion as a parody of clickbait sites.

It doesn't mean they don't have a good point. :colbert:

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

People were answering it earnestly which I will not allow.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Theory: Eobard knows about Earth 2 and the Flash there because in the Future, a Flash of Two Worlds scenario also happened in their respective futures. Eobard recognizes the helmet and knows that some multiverse poo poo is starting to happen and needs to book it before a/the Flash shows up. This hypothetical event may have also involved Zoom (and I'd imagine Eobard not being particularly amenable to a team up with someone who'd just as likely kill him). That Zoom was defeated and at some point later was sent back into the past. Zoom is now sending mooks because he's trying to gauge the power of the Flash here without any risk to himself (this may be independent to the rest of the stuff I said before)

Alternate Theory: Zoom is setting up something and needs the Flashes distracted.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Barry, as a tourist, wouldn't know where to get good pasta in Italy.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Aphrodite posted:

Barry, as a tourist, wouldn't know where to get good pasta in Italy.

But The Flash, as a superhero, would likely get pointed in the right direction.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I would like to see Jay Garrick powered up and Barry not for a few episodes this year.

Jay is the best.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
How would Jay's hat stay on while he is running? Does he run with his neck slight bent and his head angled downward?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Spacebump posted:

How would Jay's hat stay on while he is running? Does he run with his neck slight bent and his head angled downward?

:biotruths:, but instead it's a Flash lightning bolt and the text says "Speed Force"

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
The aerodynamics of the hat push it downward when moving fast, increasing the friction coefficient.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Does anyone have that Caitlin glare gif? I need it presently.

e: Nevermind, found it:

Senerio fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Oct 15, 2015

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Spacebump posted:

Whenever questioning literally anything about The Flash, the answer is "the Speed Force."

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib
I hope Earth 2 Wells is Zoom. In fact I hope every seasons final villain is Wells in disguise. The final episode when Flash goes up against Grodd just have him change his voice to Wells.

Every season you would think 'nah, they're not going to do that again,' and every season you would be wrong. It would be fantastic.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

MrFlibble posted:

I hope Earth 2 Wells is Zoom. In fact I hope every seasons final villain is Wells in disguise. The final episode when Flash goes up against Grodd just have him change his voice to Wells.

Remember when I killed your mother Barry, I talked just like thiiiisssssss!!!

That said, I'm still putting my money on Earth-2 Barry's dad to be Zoom, just because it offers so much drama.

catch22
Feb 17, 2006
I wanna see Jay in the Allen-style Flash suit :flashfap:

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Two Tone Shoes posted:

Creating the Speed Force was Waid's excuse to bring Jay, Jesse, Johnny, and Max into the book because he was a huge nerd for classic characters and wanted to make a speedster family all connected by their mutually similar powers having a single source. Everything else after that was just a happy and dorky incidental followup. He's often said if he knew the Speed Force was gonna get so big and mystical and crazy he would've given it a way better name. He moved Wally out of Barry's shadow in The Return of Barry Allen, which happened before the words "Speed Force" were ever uttered together.

The Return of Barry Allen is where he brought back Jay, Johnny and Max, and there was the whole scene where Wally is trying learn Johnny's formula while Max is talking about the "zen of speed", which I think was the beginning hints of the SF or at least the shared origin of all of their powers (for example, Max mocks Johnny for using his formula, dismissing it as the source of his powers and calling it a "mental trick" that works for him).

I do agree with you, he also wanted to tie everyone's powers to a single source. But the same arc where he named the Speed Force is where he also had Wally link into it and give him a bunch of abilities that specifically set him above and apart from all the speedsters he had brought in, and by that extension Barry himself. I still argue he did this as a way to make Wally a more distinctive and mythologically important Flash, since otherwise he was still wearing the same costume and doing the same stuff as Barry.

Another - worse - example of Waid trying to set Wally apart from Barry was his weird refusal to use basically any of the Rogues. Even when he brought them back he almost immediately sidelined them and tried to replace them with the super lame Replicant. The best thing Johns ever did was bring them back and make them more distinct and cool than they had ever been before.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

Guy A. Person posted:

The Return of Barry Allen is where he brought back Jay, Johnny and Max, and there was the whole scene where Wally is trying learn Johnny's formula while Max is talking about the "zen of speed", which I think was the beginning hints of the SF or at least the shared origin of all of their powers (for example, Max mocks Johnny for using his formula, dismissing it as the source of his powers and calling it a "mental trick" that works for him).

I do agree with you, he also wanted to tie everyone's powers to a single source. But the same arc where he named the Speed Force is where he also had Wally link into it and give him a bunch of abilities that specifically set him above and apart from all the speedsters he had brought in, and by that extension Barry himself. I still argue he did this as a way to make Wally a more distinctive and mythologically important Flash, since otherwise he was still wearing the same costume and doing the same stuff as Barry.

Another - worse - example of Waid trying to set Wally apart from Barry was his weird refusal to use basically any of the Rogues. Even when he brought them back he almost immediately sidelined them and tried to replace them with the super lame Replicant. The best thing Johns ever did was bring them back and make them more distinct and cool than they had ever been before.

Well yeah, he brought them in but he didn't really connect them aside from "Jay's an old friend and asked a favor." Terminal Velocity and the lead in issues were the guts and foundation of The Speed Force and the Flash family (brought in Jesse and Bart on top of everything). I'll grant there were hints but that's not really what I was getting at. Before the idea that was Speed Force was even solidified he wrote the definitive arc about Wally stepping out from under Barry's shadow.

You can't really compare superpower dicks across eras. Nothing Waid ever did would ever match the ridiculous crap you would see Silver Age Flash doing. We just think of it as absurd because it's less removed than the pre-crisis stuff. Wally can punch someone into orbit, sure. Barry punched dudes hundreds of years into the future. Wally only got more powers after Terminal Velocity, and this is pretty far into Waid's first run at that point. Not long after things get into Morrison/Millar's hands where it gets really whacky. I think he only gained one power there ("lending" speed) and lost another (couldn't vibrate/phase proactively anymore) under Waid. Pretty modest change, I think, unless I'm missing something.

I agree on the villains thing. Waid's got a real hit or miss record on villains (Thawne, Kadabra, Savitar? Great! Replicant, Cobalt Blue, Kobra? Kind of lame, despite being part of good arcs).

Funny thing about Johns is I always kind of disliked how he seemed to just want Wally to be more like Barry. Wrote him back into having a secret identity, made him work a civilian job for the police force, brought back his "goofy" silver age villains, reverted his costume to look more like Barry's over time, even made a hit villain who's entire schtick was "you're not as good as Barry Allen" while having both of said villain's arcs wrap up with Barry showing up at the end because Wally needed him and couldn't handle flying solo.

Just goes to shows completely different takes on a character can work well when written appropriately.

Two Tone Shoes fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Oct 15, 2015

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Two Tone Shoes posted:

Funny thing about Johns is I always kind of disliked how he seemed to just want Wally to be more like Barry. Wrote him back into having a secret identity, made him work a civilian job for the police force, brought back his "goofy" silver age villains, reverted his costume to look more like Barry's over time, even made a hit villain who's entire schtick was "you're not as good as Barry Allen" while having both of said villain's arcs wrap up with Barry showing up at the end because Wally needed him and couldn't handle flying solo.

At the time I didn't have a problem with Johns' schtick because I was just discovering the Flash, but it really was a bad harbinger of things to come-- turning Bart Allen into Neo-Wally because gently caress character progression the 00s Titans must be as much like the 80s Titans as possible, Green Lantern: Rebirth, all the way up to bringing Barry Allen back and putting Wally into character limbo. A lot of good did come out of most of those moves, but they will never not seem incredibly arrogant and creatively septic.

It's especially frustrating because the original work Johns did with Flash villains both brand new and updating classic Rogues was really good.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Two Tone Shoes posted:

Well yeah, he brought them in but he didn't really connect them aside from "Jay's an old friend and asked a favor." Terminal Velocity and the lead in issues were the guts and foundation of The Speed Force and the Flash family (brought in Jesse and Bart on top of everything). I'll grant there were hints but that's not really what I was getting at. Before the idea that was Speed Force was even solidified he wrote the definitive arc about Wally stepping out from under Barry's shadow.

You can't really compare superpower dicks across eras. Nothing Waid ever did would ever match the ridiculous crap you would see Silver Age Flash doing. We just think of it as absurd because it's less removed than the pre-crisis stuff. Wally can punch someone into orbit, sure. Barry punched dudes hundreds of years into the future. Wally only got more powers after Terminal Velocity, and this is pretty far into Waid's first run at that point. Not long after things get into Morrison/Millar's hands where it gets really whacky. I think he only gained one power there ("lending" speed) and lost another (couldn't vibrate/phase proactively anymore) under Waid. Pretty modest change, I think, unless I'm missing something.

I agree on the villains thing. Waid's got a real hit or miss record on villains (Thawne, Kadabra, Savitar? Great! Replicant, Cobalt Blue, Kobra? Kind of lame, despite being part of good arcs).

Just goes to shows completely different takes on a character can work well when written appropriately.

:swoon: Man it is so nice to geek out about 90s Flash comics again.

Anyway, I agree with everything you wrote, I think I just differ in that I believe everything mentioned about Waid's run (adding the family of speedsters and the Speed Force, shying away from the old villains) was his way of differentiating Wally and Barry, which I do think he was still doing long into his run. I guess my original comment about Wally being "more important" than Barry was inaccurate and I should have said it was a way to set him apart, whereas I think what Johns did was pretty blatant one-upmanship.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I wish this show had Barry always eating food when he isn't fighting crime. Jay should be doing the same but get fat because his powers aren't working.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Spacebump posted:

I wish this show had Barry always eating food when he isn't fighting crime. Jay should be doing the same but get fat because his powers aren't working.

It did in the early parts of the 1st season. He was always chowing down on something, and then it was like they forgot.

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.

flosofl posted:

It did in the early parts of the 1st season. He was always chowing down on something, and then it was like they forgot.

Didn't Caitlin give him hyper calorie bars or something? I wish we actually saw him eating those sometimes.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Aphrodite posted:

:biotruths:, but instead it's a Flash lightning bolt and the text says "Speed Force"

Wish I had photoshop skills.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

flosofl posted:

They haven't done it this season, but last year whenever everybody got together and were eating they'd all share one pizza while barry would have like four to himself.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

As much as goons love consistency, food and eating are probably super annoying from a production standpoint. Every bite they eat during a take they don't use probably has to be spit out because he can't eat 4 slices of pizza per scene or however many takes is required because 90% of his marketability is being a skinny young pretty person.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

hi liter posted:

As much as goons love consistency, food and eating are probably super annoying from a production standpoint. Every bite they eat during a take they don't use probably has to be spit out because he can't eat 4 slices of pizza per scene or however many takes is required because 90% of his marketability is being a skinny young pretty person.

Food is also a continuity nightmare

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
Captain Cold needs to reform and settle down with Patty so they can raise lots of little Snart-Spivots.

(I just wanted to say 'Snart-Spivot')

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart

Unkempt posted:

Captain Cold needs to reform and settle down with Patty so they can raise lots of little Snart-Spivots.

Would this be when you sneeze, fart, spit and vomit all at once?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

PaganGoatPants posted:

Wish I had photoshop skills.

If I was at home I'd have just made it, but I have nothing useful on my work PC and also probably shouldn't be making a Flash emote at work.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Unkempt posted:

A snart-spivot should be what it's called when milk comes out of your nose when you laugh. Which is what nearly happened when I read your post.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

it's kind of crazy how there are supposed to be two more speedsters showing up. Especially can't wait to see how they include Wally

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

You mean Wally "Harrison" Wells?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Two Tone Shoes posted:

Creating the Speed Force was Waid's excuse to bring Jay, Jesse, Johnny, and Max into the book because he was a huge nerd for classic characters and wanted to make a speedster family all connected by their mutually similar powers having a single source. Everything else after that was just a happy and dorky incidental followup. He's often said if he knew the Speed Force was gonna get so big and mystical and crazy he would've given it a way better name. He moved Wally out of Barry's shadow in The Return of Barry Allen, which happened before the words "Speed Force" were ever uttered together.

It's kind of weird that the Speed Force as a concept is only about 20 years old, because I tend to think of it as a pretty important part of the whole Flash mythology they have.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Wheat Loaf posted:

It's kind of weird that the Speed Force as a concept is only about 20 years old, because I tend to think of it as a pretty important part of the whole Flash mythology they have.

Flash was a pretty bad seller for a long time. Waid's run was a massive shot in the arm, the Return of Barry Allen was a huge hit and he never really slowed down from there. I remember having to actually hit a different shop at the time to find parts of Terminal Velocity there was so much demand on them.

And for all the negative Johns talk, his run on Wally is every bit as good as Waid's.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Sorry if this has been brought up already but if Earth-2 is full of Earth-1 dopplegangers, then does that mean that there's a Garrick-1 just strolling around somewhere? Seems kind of weird that they didn't immediately think to just check that to see if Jay was lying or not. Has that been A Thing in the comics at all? Or do they just not care because hey comics and multiverses and who cares?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Sometimes it works that way, sometimes it doesn't. In the comics, there's usually not a Barry Allen on Earth-2 or a Jay Garrick on Earth-1. They may follow that on the show, or not.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

VDay posted:

Sorry if this has been brought up already but if Earth-2 is full of Earth-1 dopplegangers, then does that mean that there's a Garrick-1 just strolling around somewhere? Seems kind of weird that they didn't immediately think to just check that to see if Jay was lying or not. Has that been A Thing in the comics at all? Or do they just not care because hey comics and multiverses and who cares?

It has been. Very recently there was a story where refugees from E2 came over to E1 and were treated like second class citizens, especially if you already existed on E1. It's worth noting that not everyone has a doppleganger across the two worlds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Zoom is clearly Earth-2 Snart.

• Locked thread