Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
Probably the unfortunate dumb idiot new to MMOs that doesn't understand the concept of a tank and just thinks they are a dude that swings a sword around and is cool

why yes, I may or may not be speaking from experience with FFXI years upon years ago with WAR

edit: also I would not be upset about a dps class that swings a sword around and is cool because I am a bad sad nerd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

cheetah7071 posted:

Oh I forgot gladiators are actually supposed to have something in that slot. The jewelry situation isn't really an issue though.

In that case, it's also his first Ifrit (because he doesn't have the bracelets you get from Ifrit MSQ), so he's managed to outlevel the MSQ without doing enough sidequests to pick up accessories or a shield. Which is really loving hard on your first character.

In conclusion: MMOs are not for him.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Kitfox88 posted:

you literally get a shield as part of several gladiator class quests

in fact they're wearing the heavy iron armor chest/headpiece they probably got from the level 25 quest

which also gives you an iron scutum

seriously don't get all 'lol ur an elitist' on me, ffxiv is literally my first mmo outside of like 10 minutes of wow and even i was like 'i should probably have equipment in those slots'

I mean I'm not going to post a list of reasons why a new player might not be properly geared out and I'm not going to call you elitist but it'd be nice if the first reaction to a player like that was "this guy seems like a newbie, maybe I should say something and he might learn something" instead of "I'ma screenshot this and post it on The Internet for people to laugh at" but that's just me I guess :shrug:

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

drunk asian neighbor posted:

I mean I'm not going to post a list of reasons why a new player might not be properly geared out and I'm not going to call you elitist but it'd be nice if the first reaction to a player like that was "this guy seems like a newbie, maybe I should say something and he might learn something" instead of "I'ma screenshot this and post it on The Internet for people to laugh at" but that's just me I guess :shrug:

It's actually impossible for that player to have gotten the equipment setup he has without a shield being available to him. At some point, there's just nothing you can do to help, because you have to be willfully ignorant to get there in the first place.

Niton fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Oct 16, 2015

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I once had a PLD in Ravana HM halfway through go "oops forget to equip my shield lol" which at least he admitted to it.

Now, that's not as bad as the time I got Titan HM with a gladiator. His response? "I guess ur tankin'"

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

I ran a Sohm Ai with an Archer once. An Archer downsynched from level 60. I kinda assumed he was one of those "Raaaargh, gently caress Wanderer's Minuet" dweebs, but I asked him what the deal was anyway.

His response?

"lol I'm just lazy". I checked his profile out of curiousity and sure enough, he didn't even have Bard unlocked.

a crisp refreshing Moxie fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Oct 16, 2015

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Why not do both? Attempt to help someone out and get a shared laugh out of it with others.

I am glad I haven't run into any shieldless Glad/PLD's. The most recent 'wow this person' moment I had was a Sohm Al with a SCH who was using a GC level 40 book.

They left before I could tell them about the existence of vendor stuff.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Kitfox88 posted:

nnnggh why can't i report people like this

also i'd suck yoshi-p's dick no lie

but then again i am an actual homogay irl

Kitfox88 posted:

you literally get a shield as part of several gladiator class quests

in fact they're wearing the heavy iron armor chest/headpiece they probably got from the level 25 quest

which also gives you an iron scutum

seriously don't get all 'lol ur an elitist' on me, ffxiv is literally my first mmo outside of like 10 minutes of wow and even i was like 'i should probably have equipment in those slots'

Man this is just too funny. THE GREATEST COMMUNITY OF ANY MMO! I like how in your screenshot you didn't remind him he uses a shield, I'll assume you called him a fag. Ifrit is a lvl 20 quest btw. And his armor is in the 40's range.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie

fount of knowledge posted:

I ran a Sohm Ai with an Archer once. An Archer downsynched from level 60. I kinda assumed he was one of those "Raaaargh, gently caress Wanderer's Minuet" dweebs, but I asked him what the deal was anyway.

His response?

"lol I'm just lazy". I checked his profile out of curiousity and sure enough, he didn't even have Bard unlocked.

I got into a story queue with a person that had THM at 56 but not black mage unlocked. I mean it was just Preatorium but why???

Pews
Mar 7, 2006

one thousand years of anime
Grimey Drawer

Tenzarin posted:

Man this is just too funny. THE GREATEST COMMUNITY OF ANY MMO! I like how in your screenshot you didn't remind him he uses a shield, I'll assume you called him a fag. Ifrit is a lvl 20 quest btw. And his armor is in the 40's range.

"THE BEST COMMUNITY OF ANY MMO!" isn't really saying much

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

Tenzarin posted:

Are you competing with stux for least-funny troll attempts or something?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Reoxygenation posted:

I got into a story queue with a person that had THM at 56 but not black mage unlocked. I mean it was just Preatorium but why???

I don't recall but you have to kinda look up how to get the upgraded jobs right? It doesn't lead you to the upgraded job guy does it? Or was there a quest for that?

I'm thinking its possible.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Tenzarin posted:

I'm legit glad that your posting is so terrible that even though you're kind of agreeing with me, it doesn't seem like you're agreeing with me so I don't get sucked into your black hole of badness

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Tenzarin posted:

Stop posting.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

I'm legit glad that your posting is so terrible that even though you're kind of agreeing with me, it doesn't seem like you're agreeing with me so I don't get sucked into your black hole of badness

Holy poo poo someone else gets it!

Fishious
Jan 9, 2008

Tenzarin posted:

Doesn't that make it worse? He is in the level 40s and still doesn't use accessories or a shield, how do you gently caress up this bad. The community in this game is amazing and great to me but I don't do something that blatantly awful.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Fishious posted:

Doesn't that make it worse? He is in the level 40s and still doesn't use accessories or a shield, how do you gently caress up this bad. The community in this game is amazing and great to me but I don't do something that blatantly awful.

Whats wrong hows he playing the game?

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

I HATE ALL FORMS OF FUN AND ENTERTAINMENT. I HATE BEAUTY. I AM GOLDJAS.

Tenzarin posted:

Whats wrong hows he playing the game?

It's pretty obvious he's just trolling.

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

This game's community is worse than WOW's because in wow the people who can't pass silver proving grounds don't get patted on the back when they complain it's too hard and they have no interrupts as a mage.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Boris Galerkin posted:

Did 11 come out before wow?

It came out over two years before WoW.

Edit: Oh yeah, multiple pages. Well, at least my reply had more detail.

staplegun
Sep 21, 2003

Hnnng why is there no decent striped shirt I just want to make an undertale glamour set.

I'll even change to Lalafel, just, please!

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Technogeek posted:

It came out over two years before WoW.

Edit: Oh yeah, multiple pages. Well, at least my reply had more detail.

The way you talked about the history and general MMO features makes it sound like you backed Wildstar.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Please don't be triggered by this screenshot because of the quest I have up.

nehezir
Aug 9, 2011

Stalwart Guardian of the Lewd

Kitfox88 posted:

nnnggh why can't i report people like this

also i'd suck yoshi-p's dick no lie

but then again i am an actual homogay irl
Its his hair, I bet.

Boten Anna posted:

id go straight for yoshi-p and i can confirm from meeting him irl that i totally fangirl melted

How's his booty, girl? Gotta know if there's anything to hug.

Truga posted:

I really like your av. Alpha owns.
thanks. I had a cropped Kokone one from one of the full color pages, and an Alpha with shades one somewhere...I might post them at some place.

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/1672788/blog/15115/

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

How did you find my blog

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Tenzarin posted:

The way you talked about the history and general MMO features makes it sound like you backed Wildstar.

Another thing about this game which is just terrible to people who actually play and work for the gear is look at the new 24 man raid the Void Ark you have be 175 to enter..... ok so which means its going to drop 190+ gear same on par with alexander..... also the raid will be like all the others no challenge what so ever they hand people in this game candy all the time. Nothing at all to work towards.. No sense of self accomplishment that makes MMO's fun. That in my opinion is the worst part of this game. They keep making it easier and easier. This game has nothing special look at the Zeta's they should be incredibly long to get time consuming you hardly see them around but fantasize when you do. They made them even easier to get know you can get them in 3 weeks or less. Nothing to it.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

I like when people say stuff like relics should be like that but holy gently caress when a game actually has things like that it's so goddamn crushing

why yes I have mostly burned out on PSO2, why do you ask

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Technogeek posted:

Another thing about this game which is just terrible to people who actually play and work for the gear is look at the new 24 man raid the Void Ark you have be 175 to enter..... ok so which means its going to drop 190+ gear same on par with alexander..... also the raid will be like all the others no challenge what so ever they hand people in this game candy all the time. Nothing at all to work towards.. No sense of self accomplishment that makes MMO's fun. That in my opinion is the worst part of this game. They keep making it easier and easier. This game has nothing special look at the Zeta's they should be incredibly long to get time consuming you hardly see them around but fantasize when you do. They made them even easier to get know you can get them in 3 weeks or less. Nothing to it.

Have you given Wildstar a shot? It was so hard everyone quit! You could be the ONE!

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Tenzarin posted:

Have you given Wildstar a shot? It was so hard everyone quit! You could be the ONE!

AND DIABLO as a boss? We're waiting for how long for this patch and it's just regurgitated content. Even the minion 'arena' is a joke. You made a giant room and then are reusing minions to facilitate a team. It's just very disappointing. All of it is just lazy.

nehezir
Aug 9, 2011

Stalwart Guardian of the Lewd
I do long for something a bit closer to "hard" content, myself.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I should have to punch myself in the dick at least three times to get any good piece of gear.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

There's a difference between technically hard content and content that is "hard" because it requires horrendously obscene timesinks and/or ludicrous droprates

Usually you get a lot of folks on the OF that idolize the latter (as in FFXI/EQ/RO tier timesinks) because they're idiots

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
too many troll posts in this page

Fishious
Jan 9, 2008

Hivac posted:

Usually you get a lot of folks on the OF that idolize the latter (as in FFXI/EQ/RO tier timesinks) because they're idiots

I'm pretty sure it's because in the real world they have nothing to their name but spare time and they want it validated.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Hivac posted:

There's a difference between technically hard content and content that is "hard" because it requires horrendously obscene timesinks and/or ludicrous droprates

I played so much on Bro, an old SA RO private server.

ess-vid
Jun 27, 2013

Hivac posted:

It's more they idolize what they think is the reward, they want to spend the next decade idling in populated areas with the +1 Holy Sword of Poopsocking that's near impossible to obtain (but was mogmailed to them by SE for being "loyal" or whatever).

Remember that the same people screamed blue murder about the entire relic chain. Titan was Literally Impossible, Atma required three billion fates, Animus had FATEs that only popped once a year, Novus forced you to RMT, Nexus meant running Garuda twenty hours a day for months, Zodiac took thousands of dungeon runs, and Zeta needed hundreds of dungeon runs for the tomes to buy the items you had to run thousands of Garudas to attune. It was the worst grind in the history of gaming (no really, they actually claimed this) and no one ever completed one.

It kind of makes me hope the first step of the new relic grind is just a rehash of the Atma step from 2.2, simply for the entertainment of the OF screaming about theoretical maximums of RNG and competing for the right of being the One True Statistical Outlier via claims of grinding HW fates for drops since before 3.0 even launched.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

ess-vid posted:

Animus had FATEs that only popped once a year

The rest of this is all hyperbole but this was the worst part of the entire relic chain, by a lot. I waited for Everything's Better to pop for three and a half hours, accidentally swapped weapons at some point while waiting, and had to wait another 3 hours for it to come back up. Six and a half hours on one third of one quarter of one ninth of that relic step, just because I screwed up one pop.

ess-vid
Jun 27, 2013

Niton posted:

The rest of this is all hyperbole but this was the worst part of the entire relic chain, by a lot. I waited for Everything's Better to pop for three and a half hours, accidentally swapped weapons at some point while waiting, and had to wait another 3 hours for it to come back up. Six and a half hours on one third of one quarter of one ninth of that relic step, just because I screwed up one pop.

Oh I remember, that wasn't even one of the longer ones, as before they adjusted them there were a few that had six or even eight hour spawn cooldowns. Hours that you had to sit there doing absolutely nothing, mind, because the roving bands of Atma farmers and the people also doing Animus meant doing things like crafting was a nonstarter, since the FATE would be burned down before your skills even came off cooldown from switching classes.

Funnily enough, Animus was the OF's least hated step because Trackable Progress... lauded, of course, by people that weren't actually doing it (they were still busy whining about Atma because they didn't get the drop by the third FATE in the zone). Everyone actually doing it loving despised it for all of the forced downtime with the FATEs and world mobs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

ess-vid posted:

It's more they idolize what they think is the reward, they want to spend the next decade idling in populated areas with the +1 Holy Sword of Poopsocking that's near impossible to obtain (but was mogmailed to them by SE for being "loyal" or whatever).

Remember that the same people screamed blue murder about the entire relic chain. Titan was Literally Impossible, Atma required three billion fates, Animus had FATEs that only popped once a year, Novus forced you to RMT, Nexus meant running Garuda twenty hours a day for months, Zodiac took thousands of dungeon runs, and Zeta needed hundreds of dungeon runs for the tomes to buy the items you had to run thousands of Garudas to attune. It was the worst grind in the history of gaming (no really, they actually claimed this) and no one ever completed one.

It kind of makes me hope the first step of the new relic grind is just a rehash of the Atma step from 2.2, simply for the entertainment of the OF screaming about theoretical maximums of RNG and competing for the right of being the One True Statistical Outlier via claims of grinding HW fates for drops since before 3.0 even launched.

Oh, so they complain about both types when they're relevant then bitch how they're too easy once progression has moved past them and changed for newer players to catch up faster. Cool. I'm glad I don't actually read the OF. I'm glad Technogeek is here to provide the Greatest Hits edition.

• Locked thread