Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Dislike button posted:

It does not look good

Hasn't this been said for like the last 10 years now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
They are losing money and have no new products in the direct pipeline. The only new products they do have they can't produce many because of yield problems.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

That spin off probably buys them enough time to limp into 2016 and Zen. So Zen or bust

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
Now is the time when Steve calls Bill AMD calls Intel and says "you need me to be your competitor."

Durinia
Sep 26, 2014

The Mad Computer Scientist

Crotch Fruit posted:

Now is the time when Steve calls Bill AMD calls Intel and says "you need me to be your competitor."

They've already called every government agency they know and said that. It's got them some cash, but these results already include that...

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
So will we see an intel breakup after which the bastard child of half of intel and half of AMD leftovers competes with the bastard child of the other half of intel and the other half of AMD leftovers in a really awkward and inefficient way?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
We will never see a meaningful Intel breakup.

We might see Intel forced to roll off some of its minor portions like SSDs or the production of NUCs, but there's simply no sensible way to split up the CPU manufacturing.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Nintendo Kid posted:

We will never see a meaningful Intel breakup.

We might see Intel forced to roll off some of its minor portions like SSDs or the production of NUCs, but there's simply no sensible way to split up the CPU manufacturing.

Of course splitting the CPU division would be dumb, but I wounder if anyone would actually try to break up the CPU monopoly that way.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Intel has an x86 monopoly, not a cpu monopoly.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties
ARM/iOS/Android arguably present enough competition for Intel to argue that it doesn't have a monopoly on the overall personal computing market.

Yudo
May 15, 2003

I agree that Intel will never get broken up, but there really isn't any alternative to x86--ARM is not it if you actually have poo poo to do. Plus it leaves Intel as the only server chip vendor of any scale.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

sincx posted:

ARM/iOS/Android arguably present enough competition for Intel to argue that it doesn't have a monopoly on the overall personal computing market.

But you probably CAN argue that it has a functional monopoly on the general-purpose computing/software development market. (I mean, there ARE ARM devices that are both current enough to be at all useful AND aren't gatekept front-to-back, but I'm pretty sure no one's going to make the next killer iApp on a Raspberry Pi.)

is that good
Apr 14, 2012
I think if there's a pretty good case on the defence not a lot of people are going to be much happy with the prospect of getting into expensive legal proceedings without a good idea that they'll end in a set time-frame.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

WCCFtech with positive AMD rumors:

* Both Zen and K12 have successfully taped out on modern-day FinFET processes.

* AMD to make semi-custom SOC designs for Apple and Nintendo.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Question: What would Apple gain from custom silicon that it doesn't have already?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Answer: HBM-enabled APUs.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Apple has been pushing 5K displays and therefore needs significant GPU power. Getting an x86 plus significant GPU power into one chip is like the only thing AMD can do now.

Apple also likes to use multiple sources / get part sources to compete with each other on general principle.

Durinia
Sep 26, 2014

The Mad Computer Scientist

Rastor posted:

WCCFtech with positive AMD rumors:

* Both Zen and K12 have successfully taped out on modern-day FinFET processes.

Source: some guy's resume where they're included in a list. :cripes:

Gotta love WCCFtech.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
Better than Anonymous Sources

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
http://www.eetimes.com/document.asp?doc_id=1328037&_mc=RSS_EET_EDT

Looks like AMD sold off their majority stake in the assembly/test/packaging plants. They haven't had fabs for a while, now they don't own their A/T facilities either

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Because they were idle

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Overall it's really weird to think about how much faster my 4690K is than my old high-school XP 1800+. Like according to UserBenchmark that's a minimum of a 14x difference vs the 2200+, so maybe something more like 16-18x vs the 1800+. Let alone the old K6-2 400, or the improvements from SSDs, etc. I remember my dad upgrading the K6-2 400 from a Matrox Mystique to a Rage Pro so I could play Freespace. Now we have bitchin' GPUs that can do compute and poo poo, and everything Just Works.

It's disappointing the days of those performance increases are over :smith:

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Oct 24, 2015

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I guess I could post over here too. Tweaktown says that 400-series silicon just taped out. Not-top-of-the-line silicon, but silicon called Baffin and Ellesmere.

While you could argue that, like Nvidia, they are taping out their low end first before taping out their flagship, I think it's more likely that Baffin/Ellesmere cores will be integrated into Zen APUs, so they need them tested and working now, not later.

http://www.tweaktown.com/news/48121/amds-radeon-400-series-ellesmere-baffin-gpus-taped/index.html

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
Sometime ago Intel recently bought part of VIA technologies, their router chips IIRC. It appears we now might have an idea what VIA got out of it - x86 license extension.

Not much to look at when an Athlon 5350 beats it up but there is apparently either an Octacore design as well or it's hyperthreaded. Unless it can beat an Atom for perf/watt, why? VIA itself does not have the funds to compete.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

FaustianQ posted:

Sometime ago Intel recently bought part of VIA technologies, their router chips IIRC. It appears we now might have an idea what VIA got out of it - x86 license extension.

Not much to look at when an Athlon 5350 beats it up but there is apparently either an Octacore design as well or it's hyperthreaded. Unless it can beat an Atom for perf/watt, why? VIA itself does not have the funds to compete.

VIA has spent the last five years selling digital signage. I have no idea what they're trying to do...

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Paul MaudDib posted:

It's disappointing the days of those performance increases are over :smith:

Well, more significant increases anyhow. I agree it used to be awesome hearing about new CPU/GPU tech because back 15-17 years ago, a 100Mhz increase in speed was noticeable. Like, going from an old Pentium 166Mhz desktop to a K6-2 350 with almost double the memory was night and day difference. I still recall when I went from playing Quake/Quake 2 on the "system" default settings to playing on a Voodoo 2 12MB accelerator in OpenGL goodness and how much better and faster everything was.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Jim Keller immediately gets picked up by Samsung. So either he is a ronin moving from company to company working on only things that interest him or he jumped off a sinking ship. Only one of these two things, there is no other explanation

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

WhyteRyce posted:

Jim Keller immediately gets picked up by Samsung. So either he is a ronin moving from company to company working on only things that interest him or he jumped off a sinking ship. Only one of these two things, there is no other explanation

If we keep this speculation train going, this thread might be the first in SH/SC history to produce fanart.

Yaoi Gagarin fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Oct 26, 2015

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

VostokProgram posted:

If we keep this speculation train going, this thread might be the first in SH/SC history to produce fanart.

What color would his armor/lightsaber be if/when he joins Intel?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

WhyteRyce posted:

The former, since there's only so much Samsung can squeeze out of Exynos right now and the solution surprisingly isn't packing even more cores.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Qualcomm should have grabbed him first. Maybe then they could solve some of those heat problems that the Snapdragons have got.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

2018, Jim Keller leaves Samsung to join Qualcomm

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

He should have just bought TI's assets and done everything himself

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

WhyteRyce posted:

He should have just bought TI's assets and done everything himself

Would buy those chips.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Qualcomm should have grabbed him first. Maybe then they could solve some of those heat problems that the Snapdragons have got.

Qualcomm was already working on their own (presumably cooler-running) custom cores, they just weren't ready yet when everyone jumped to 64-bit.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties
So Jim Keller is this microprocessor genius who goes to a place, fixes whatever problems they have, and leaves to find other problems to solve?

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

sincx posted:

So Jim Keller is this microprocessor genius who goes to a place, fixes whatever problems they have, and leaves to find other problems to solve?

He is the Mary Poppins of processor designing.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Switching companies isn't that weird. In my line of work it's usually done because it's easier to move up (both in title and payscale) than internal promotion.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

sincx posted:

VostokProgram posted:

I choose to believe that Jim Keller is a chip design cowboy who rides into town when AMD needs him the most, fixes their poo poo, and then rides out into the sunset.

The fastest draw in Sunnyvale.

FaustianQ posted:

I think Zen will likely have better performance than Ivy Bridge, how much is debatable. 3-4Ghz is fine as well as long there is headroom. Still even then pricing determines everything and AMD just might have a good product a year too late, despite Lisa Su's confidence or Jim Keller the wandering technomancer's skill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Lowen SoDium posted:

He is the Mary Poppins of processor designing.

SuperTechEnthusiasticFixingUpTheDullChips

• Locked thread