Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

Christie is worried about leaks because he's a loving blimp.

chistie demands there be no open flames or radio towers at the cnbc debate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

American People Stunned Chris Christie Is Still Running For President, Thought Dead.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
the mafia guy knows the line is tapped

Christie wants a loaf of bread, no eggs this week though. Any eggs in there, he's gonna go for a walk in the park.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
possible christie spotting over oklahoma. "drifting loose", like weather balloon.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven

Internet Webguy posted:

They don't need to raise it. I'm pretty sure the reasoning is that opening and closing statements will now take up 40 minutes of the 2-hour debate, so including commercials that would be half of the debate. Pretty sure CNBC wanted to spend more time on the actual debate rather than letting every candidate do their mini-stump speech before and after.

This.

Because the debate is now only 2hrs CNBC may start cutting candidates to have less opening/closing statements and more gong show.

Trump's victory hasn't been confirmed yet, but if he forced a network to capitulate, Trump just made the RNC and every candidate(with the exception of Carson) look like chumps.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

Montasque posted:

This.

Because the debate is now only 2hrs CNBC may start cutting candidates to have less opening/closing statements and more gong show.

Trump's victory hasn't been confirmed yet, but if he forced a network to capitulate, Trump just made the RNC and every candidate(with the exception of Carson) look like a chump.

they are slaves to their desire for higher ratings, and there's nothing they can do. The republican debate got a retarded amount of viewers. Trump is holding the entire system hostage.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

crazy eyes mustafa posted:

I love Chris Matthews muttering "Oh, God" at the very beginning

Wasn't that Olbermann?

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven

Full Battle Rattle posted:

they are slaves to their desire for higher ratings, and there's nothing they can do. The republican debate got a retarded amount of viewers. Trump is holding the entire system hostage.

Absolutely. Ad buys are everything, and Trump holds all the cards. To me the most interesting thing is how Trump will use this to bludgeon the media, his opponents, and the RNC. He now owns them.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I wonder how much of it is making them dump Rand. Next time he's gunning to get rid of the low energy that's destroying the atmosphere of these debates.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Full Battle Rattle posted:

Trump is love, Trump is life.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
A few more:

Trump raised 3.8 million and has 1.9 million on hand. Given that he's self-funding, that's not a huge deal, but the nearly four million he raised is still money not coming out of his pocket.

George Pataki raised 153k and has...13,570.55 cash on hand. He'll probably have to take the Greyhound to Colorado for the next debate.

Huck raised 1.2 million, spent 1.4 million, and has 760k cash on hand with 140k debts.

Lincoln Chafee raised 15k, spent 60k, and has 285k cash on hand (from a loan he gave his campaign).

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
I think CNBC is using 3% polling average as the cutoff. Depending on which polls they use, it could be a pretty small stage. Real Clear Politics has Kasich at 2.9, Huckabee and Paul at 2.7, Christie at 1.9, then the JV squad.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
I fully support any Donald Trump endeavor which causes Huckabee, Christie, Jindal and Santorum to drop out of the race faster. Paul would also be forced out under these demands, but I honestly want him to stick around as long as possible because he brings some sanity to the circus on a few issues and I think they need to be heard.

Martin Random
Jul 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I think we should prank Lincoln Chafee and and Lindsey Graham into thinking they won their parties nominations, make them think they're going to debate on CNN, keep up the charade as long as possible and tape it as a reality show.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
If Trump can get the debates to start excluding candidates outside the top 6, then I think we have to start considering the idea that Trump is actually an excellent politician. If Trump can use this to killshot Jeb! I'm going to die laughing.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

paranoid randroid posted:

remember when bobby jindal was supposed to be one of the exciting new republicans that were gonna shake everything up and dispel the image of the party as a bunch of old crusty white guys?

Not really, no. He got some hype and then gave a SOTU reply that confirmed he's a putz though.

Just like Rubio, actually. Only Rubio isn't an anchor baby trying to get rid of birthright citizen.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
We have one more, Lindsey Graham!

Raised: 1 million
Spent: 2 million
Cash on Hand: 1.6 million

Oh, and apparently when Rubio said he raised 6 million, he was rounding up from the 5.7 million he actually raised.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

skaboomizzy posted:

I think CNBC is using 3% polling average as the cutoff. Depending on which polls they use, it could be a pretty small stage. Real Clear Politics has Kasich at 2.9, Huckabee and Paul at 2.7, Christie at 1.9, then the JV squad.

That's brutal. CNN in the Democratic debate this week had a 1% cutoff in any recent poll from a major outlet, not average.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
The thing is, the CNBC average is "rounds up to 3," not 3, so it's really 2.5, and they only take certain polls. All 10 of the candidates who were in the last debate (the 11 minus Walker) qualify at the moment, although Paul, Kasich, Christie, and Huckabee only barely qualify.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Patter Song posted:

The thing is, the CNBC average is "rounds up to 3," not 3, so it's really 2.5, and they only take certain polls. All 10 of the candidates who were in the last debate (the 11 minus Walker) qualify at the moment, although Paul, Kasich, Christie, and Huckabee only barely qualify.

They really should just bump the cutoff up to, like, 5% and knock those four out entirely. Having 10 people up there on the debate stage is just ridiculous.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

DaveWoo posted:

They really should just bump the cutoff up to, like, 5% and knock those four out entirely. Having 10 people up there on the debate stage is just ridiculous.

I agree. Kasich is running pretty much to either be the Vice President of an Establishment pick (popular governor of Ohio) or to be the Establishment's Plan C if Jeb keeps on Jebbing and we suddenly discover that Marco Rubio attends cocaine-fueled orgies in Miami. The other three don't even have a path that viable.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
It really should be the top three.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
In defense of Jeb's fundraising vs 2011 Perry, Perry actually was the frontrunner for part of the quarter and not some 6th place wannabe.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

Philthy posted:

It really should be the top three.

There's room for a few more, but I think the 3% should be a hard 3.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

I just....what the gently caress

quote:

Host Jan Mickelson began by bemoaning that the “criminal justice system has been taken over by progressives.” In order to fight back, he argued, conservatives should look to the biblical Book of Exodus. “It says, if a person steals, they have to pay it back two-fold, four-fold,” Mickelson explained. “If they don’t have anything, we’re supposed to take them down and sell them.”

Mickelson went on to argue why jails, which he claimed are a “pagan invention,” are inferior to slavery: “We indenture them and they have to spend their time not sitting on their stump in a jail cell, they’re supposed to be working off the debt.”

“Wouldn’t that be a better choice?” the host asked.

“Well, it really would be,” Huckabee replied without missing a beat. “Sometimes the best way to deal with a nonviolent criminal behavior is what you just suggested.”

https://soundcloud.com/thinkpro/huckabee-criminal-punishment

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Hmm there is now a massive population of non-whites in prison. End Democrat rights deletion, and vote for chattel slavery!

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

The party of Lincoln is pro slavery. Seems legit.

Abner Cadaver II
Apr 21, 2009

TONIGHT!
A vote for Huckabee is a vote for the bronze age!

Right down to the horrible treatment of dogs.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Pro-slavery. G'drat.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
at the very least, pro bondsmanship

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Fuschia tude posted:

That's brutal. CNN in the Democratic debate this week had a 1% cutoff in any recent poll from a major outlet, not average.

That just makes the fact that Lessig didn't make it even funnier.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

This was brought up already in uspol or maybe this thread, but the modern prison system already basically works like this. The prisons took over, with former plantation owners as superintendents, after Reconstruction and there are still prisons with majority black populations that literally have cotton fields the prisoners pick cotton in.

Sir Tonk fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Oct 16, 2015

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

:stare:

They're seriously pushing to bring back slavery. Honest to god slavery. Black people back in the fields, cleaning houses.

What the ever. living. gently caress.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
Obligatory "What the gently caress, Huckabee" so I'm not changing the subject.

Anyway, Santorum:

Raised: 388K
Spent: 393K
Cash On Hand: 227K

Just as an aside, Rick Santorum's 2012 campaign is still in $450,000 debt, so remember if you sell something to a failing presidential campaign, you'll probably never be paid back.

I might as well throw Jim Webb in this thread rather than travelling to the other place: Raised 700k, cash on hand 300k. It seems like O'Malley is the only candidate left in either party who hasn't reported. He has another half an hour.

EDIT: Speak of the devil!

O'Malley:

Raised 1.3 million
Spent 1.8 million
806k cash on hand.

That's all the candidates!

Patter Song fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Oct 16, 2015

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Patter Song posted:

It seems like O'Malley is the only candidate left in either party who hasn't reported. He has another half an hour.

What are the consequences of not reporting?

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 22 days!
Anyone bring up the "where are you from?" comment from Trump and how much it'll probably bump his poll numbers?

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Patter Song posted:

O'Malley:

Raised 1.3 million
Spent 1.8 million
806k cash on hand.

That's all the candidates!

How do these compute, by the way? He rolled over 1.3 million from the prior quarter?

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

Fuschia tude posted:

How do these compute, by the way? He rolled over 1.3 million from the prior quarter?

Exactly.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Considering the majority of non-violent offenders are minorities who used drugs it's nice to see Huckabee fully embracing his roots. :heritage:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Grem posted:

Anyone bring up the "where are you from?" comment from Trump and how much it'll probably bump his poll numbers?

How much you want to bet Trump's internet army tried to figure out who that kid was and verify if he was actually born in Texas?

• Locked thread