Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Medical report shows that Jeb's Paleo diet is paying off

When the hell did Jeb! describe himself as a "joyful tortoise?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

radical meme posted:

So Conventional Wisdom will go down the tubes this election cycle? I'm still not convinced of that. I still think, maybe even hope, that people in the establishment, on both sides, have control over GOT ground game and local sway over base voters. If they don't and if Trump doesn't take the nomination, then I think it's far more likely that we will be looking at candidate Ted Cruz, not Rubio; because if the establishment doesn't matter then Cruz has just as much money as Rubio and he's a far better public speaker. Plus Cruz has the backing of every Radio Talking Head.

Rubio is establishment, just without the horrible stench of failure Jeb! has bathed in for the last few months. He's establishment choice 2 or 3 depending on how you count Walker.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Clinton also has a much more diverse circle of advisors and makes a deal out of pointing out she lives a privileged life.

I don't blame Sanders for his advisors too much, its hard to find diversity in Vermont.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

evilweasel posted:

Rubio is establishment, just without the horrible stench of failure Jeb! has bathed in for the last few months. He's establishment choice 2 or 3 depending on how you count Walker.

Rubio's a teabagger though.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Mr Interweb posted:

Rubio's a teabagger though.

As we've discussed from the speaker fiasco there really isn't any difference anymore. Not to mention that Rubio is "one of the good ones" (like Walker) to the party elites which in this case is all that matters, especially since Bush has thoroughly poo poo the bed.

Real talk, before all of this started Rubio was pretty much the only republican candidate I thought had a shot against Hillary in the general, even with the waterboy poo poo from his past.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Somebody involved in this Benghazi issue was caught lying, and it's not who you think!

quote:

Wayne Shelby Simmons, 62, of Annapolis, Maryland, a former occasional on-air commentator who appeared on a cable news network, was arrested today after being indicted by a federal grand jury on charges of major fraud against the United States, wire fraud, and making false statements to the government.

According to the indictment, Simmons falsely claimed he worked as an "Outside Paramilitary Special Operations Officer" for the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) from 1973 to 2000, and used that false claim in an attempt to obtain government security clearances and work as a defense contractor, including at one point successfully getting deployed overseas as an intelligence advisor to senior military personnel. According to the indictment, Simmons also falsely claimed on national security forms that his prior arrests and criminal convictions were directly related to his supposed intelligence work for the CIA, and that he had previously held a top secret security clearance. The indictment also alleges that Simmons defrauded an individual victim out of approximately $125,000 in connection with a bogus real estate investment.

A March 5, 2014, letter signed by Simmons and other conservative activists urged House Speaker John Boehner to "create a House Select Investigative Committee on Benghazi -- fully resourced with staff and subpoena powers -- to conduct a thorough, coordinated investigation." Boehner announced plans to form a select committee on May 2, 2014, and the House approved it on May 8, 2014. Activists who signed on to the letter with Simmons included Judicial Watch president Tom Fitton, Fox News contributor Thomas McInerney, Fox News contributor Allen West, Center for Security Policy president Frank Gaffney, Veterans for a Strong America president Joel Arends, Secure America New president Allen Roth, Ginni Thomas, and Freedom Center president David Horowitz.

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

Is that PMC stolen valor?

Holy poo poo, this is awesome.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
So what was he? Just some dude? A grunt with delusions of grandeur?

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Maaaan I'd really like to see this catch traction in the media at large.

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty

A Winner is Jew posted:

The fact that he doesn't have a ground game is key though since it means he's either (a) not actually serious still (b) totally clueless on how modern elections work (c) actively trying to gently caress the GOP over.

Iowa is going to really show just how serious to take Trump since if he fails that with his 10 point lead he's done, and the serious candidates then get to fight it out, but only if any are left. :getin:

Fried Chicken posted:

He has been building a large and aggressive ground game actually. WaPo had an article on Trump vs Paul in Nevada the other day, about how Trump is already building operations in later stage primaries

It is getting very weird.

Yeah not sure where people are getting the idea that Trump doesn't have a ground game because he def does

http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2016-election/trumps-ground-game-iowa-soaring-aides-say-n445336

quote:

The [Trump] campaign has 12 paid staffers, the most of any Republican operation in [Iowa], comprised of an assortment of characters with varying pasts.

[...] The campaign is executing an extensive ground game operation. The next phase—identifying neighborhood leaders who commit to bringing a certain number of Trump supporters to caucus in February—should be in place by Thanksgiving, Laudner said.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Fried Chicken posted:

Red State. It was a Kevin Smith film iirc

and now that you have read that name, you are required to go google pictures of jorts
Those have gone beyond jorts and are high water JNCOs. All the denim but with a little bit of ankle showing to prove how scandalous he is.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

A Winner is Jew posted:

I really hope the Castro's are firmly in the Clinton camp, because 8 years of Hillary and then a Castro would be loving sweet!

Speaking of which...

quote:

"I am really going to look hard at him for anything, because that is how good he is," Clinton said in Texas when asked by Javier Palomarez, president and CEO of the United States Hispanic Chamber of Commerce, if Castro would make a good vice president.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Tatum Girlparts posted:

The myth that Obama was a scrappy underdog who had to claw his way into the top rather than a major establishment player who was held back initially by racist bullshit will never not be adorable.

Obama was an establishment favorite from day one, the only reason it was close is because despite what we like to pretend there were a lot of Democrats going 'eeeeh I dunno...a black guy' but those guys pretty quickly got told to nut up. Clinton's support came from typical Clinton enclaves and not a ton else. Now the core establishment and Clinton supporters are unified behind her.

Those Clinton enclaves must've been pretty big to push around the core establishment :rolleye:

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Shakenbaker posted:

Maaaan I'd really like to see this catch traction in the media at large.

Not that this is any indication that it will but it's been at the top of my facebook trending thing since it broke.

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!

Those could be meaningless words, but man would Julain Castro as VP be great

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

On Terra Firma posted:

Not that this is any indication that it will but it's been at the top of my facebook trending thing since it broke.

The GOP isn't going to let something like someone they called to testify lying under oath distract the public from who the real criminals are.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Hollismason posted:

Yea we currently basically have slavery now in our prison system.

It's not slavery, we pay prisoners.

.67/hour

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

A lot of other posters are right. Bernie Sanders, ultimately, does not care about having the Democratic nomination..

Bernie Sanders wants the American people to become directly engaged with their leaders. He wants to see a populist revolution.
Winning the presidency is just a more high profile way to make sure this happens. He has been consistent from day one that what he wants is for people to become engaged with politics, and hold their leaders accountable.
We need to keep the pressure up not just in the national election, but in the local election. We need more Bernie Sanders types in the Senate, in Congress, as Governors and as Mayors. The presidency is the ultimate prize, but not the most important.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Ferdinand the Bull posted:

A lot of other posters are right. Bernie Sanders, ultimately, does not care about having the Democratic nomination..

Bernie Sanders wants the American people to become directly engaged with their leaders. He wants to see a populist revolution.
Winning the presidency is just a more high profile way to make sure this happens. He has been consistent from day one that what he wants is for people to become engaged with politics, and hold their leaders accountable.
We need to keep the pressure up not just in the national election, but in the local election. We need more Bernie Sanders types in the Senate, in Congress, as Governors and as Mayors. The presidency is the ultimate prize, but not the most important.

gently caress that loser talk. He's gonna win.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Rollofthedice posted:

Those could be meaningless words, but man would Julain Castro as VP be great

:agreed:

Really though, I don't think that's meaningless because Castro as VP probably puts Texas in play as soon as 2020 which is loving huge and would be a massive curb stomp of republicans, something Clinton would be down with purely out of spite at this point.

A Man With A Plan
Mar 29, 2010
Fallen Rib

A Winner is Jew posted:

:agreed:

Really though, I don't think that's meaningless because Castro as VP probably puts Texas in play as soon as 2020 which is loving huge and would be a massive curb stomp of republicans, something Clinton would be down with purely out of spite at this point.

While Castro would def help with the sentiment in Texas, there would need to be a massive dem ground game, state wide, to get the votes. And as I understand it the Texas dems are among the worst organized of the state parties. Maybe if DWS were gone and someone who believed in the possibility was in charge we could get something.

E: a blue texas, or even a contested one, is still the most definite death knell for the current GOP. It'd be something to see.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
The phrase "populist revolution" is meaninglessly vague. All you need to be populist is to have a decent chunk of the public support you, Tea Party leaders are equally as populist as anyone else.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

A Man With A Plan posted:

While Castro would def help with the sentiment in Texas, there would need to be a massive dem ground game, state wide, to get the votes. And as I understand it the Texas dems are among the worst organized of the state parties. Maybe if DWS were gone and someone who believed in the possibility was in charge we could get something.

E: a blue texas, or even a contested one, is still the most definite death knell for the current GOP. It'd be something to see.

I've yet to see someone run the numbers on:

% Anglo turn out
% Hispanic turn out
% Anglo D share
% Hispanic D share
% Hispanic population
% Hispanic voter registration
% Anglo voter registration

and ever come out with an answer where Democrats can win state-wide races in Texas before 2025-2030.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Ferdinand the Bull posted:

He may know that but I'm not sure his supporters know that. I've had some issues with his supporters in the past but all in all, I get the feeling that many of them will just stop if he doesn't win.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Trabisnikof posted:

% Anglo turn out
% Hispanic turn out
% Anglo D share
% Hispanic D share
% Hispanic population

and ever come out with an answer where Democrats can win state-wide races in Texas before 2025-2030.

It's simple, gas or expel a buncha Republicans in strategic areas, preferably by felling them with their own beloved minimally regulated industry.

CheeseSpawn
Sep 15, 2004
Doctor Rope

Fojar38 posted:

Uh, what party do you think Bernie is running as?

The issue is Bernie is an outsider to the democratic party and is running as a democrat. He may have caucused with Democrats but he is not a democrat. You are not going to get a lot of establishment support no matter how popular you as an outsider. The hilarious exception is Trump and the Republican party. The party has been so dysfunctional, the base needs a straight talker and outsider to talk sense to them. Sanders fills this gap on the opposite side but the Democratic base doesnt feel as disfranchised.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Trabisnikof posted:

% Anglo turn out
% Hispanic turn out
% Anglo D share
% Hispanic D share
% Hispanic population

I don't have those numbers, but Castro on the ballot would absolutely be a huge catalyst for a GOTV movement in the mostly non voting Hispanic population that's in the state, and him pushing up that timetable about 5 years isn't that unreasonable.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

A Winner is Jew posted:

I don't have those numbers, but Castro on the ballot would absolutely be a huge catalyst for a GOTV movement in the mostly non voting Hispanic population that's in the state, and him pushing up that timetable about 5 years isn't that unreasonable.

They thought the same thing about Wendy Davis. I guess she did effectively GOTV, just for the Republicans.

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

zoux posted:

They thought the same thing about Wendy Davis.

As much as I like her, she's a white lady who's defining moment is about abortion, something majority-Catholic Hispanics are not too hot about. If Castro avoids or downplays issues like that he could absolutely be a stronger force.

Though whipping Texas dems into shape wouldn't hurt either.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I really want to see Julian Castro as Vice president for 8 years and then President in 2024.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Hollismason posted:

I really want to see Julian Castro as Vice president for 8 years and then President in 2024.

The ideal use of the clinton machine really

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Rollofthedice posted:

As much as I like her, she's a white lady who's defining moment is about abortion, something majority-Catholic Hispanics are not too hot about. If Castro avoids or downplays issues like that he could absolutely be a stronger force.

Go look up polling among Hispanic women about abortion.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I think going from head of HUD to VP would be really good because he may not be as beholden to Superpacs. Dunno though.

I think this is a pretty reliable study

http://archive.neworganizing.com/media/attachments/Report_New-Organizing-Institute_Hispanics-Future-Progressive-Strength-in-America.pdf

zoux posted:

http://latinainstitute.org/sites/default/files/LatinoAbortionAttitudesPolling.pdf

Do you mean this one?

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

zoux posted:

They thought the same thing about Wendy Davis. I guess she did effectively GOTV, just for the Republicans.

Both her and Alison Lundergan Grimes basically ran as centrist republicans and pretty much hosed their chances by doing so.

Hollismason posted:

Yeah. 8 years of the first black president followed by 8 years of the first woman president followed by 4-8 years of the first Hispanic president. How the gently caress is that not the best thing ever?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
It'd be nice if we could get a gay or lesbian into the VP spot for the Julian Castro Presidency. Then it'd be First African American president, First Woman President, First Native Spanish Speaker President, First Gay President.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Rollofthedice posted:

The "dream team" didn't do much better.

A Winner is Jew posted:

Both her and Alison Lundergan Grimes basically ran as centrist republicans and pretty much hosed their chances by doing so.

I don't think Davis running as a progressive would have helped her win either.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

A Winner is Jew posted:

Alison Lundergan Grimes

Great, now it's in my head again.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

A Winner is Jew posted:

Yeah. 8 years of the first black president followed by 8 years of the first woman president followed by 4-8 years of the first Hispanic president. How the gently caress is that not the best thing ever?

If the woman is Fiorina and the Hispanic is Rubio.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
E: I made a post and then remembered this was USPOL and not the RSF, ignore this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

zoux posted:

"Pew Hispanic 2012 posted:

Support for abortion rights also vary by age, but not by gender. Younger Latinos are more likely than older Latinos to say abortion should be legal. A majority (53%) of Latinos ages 18 to 29 support abortion rights. By contrast, majorities of Latinos ages 30 to 49 (51%), ages 50 to 64 (58%) and ages 65 and older (63%) say abortion should be illegal in “all cases” or “most cases.” Meanwhile, half (50%) of Hispanic men and half (52%) of Hispanic women say abortion should mainly be illegal.

Among Hispanics overall, there are no gender differences in views about abortion.

" Pew, 2014 posted:

Looking at all Americans, regardless of their voter registration status, whites (54%) are more likely than blacks (47%) and Hispanics (44%) to think abortion should be legal. Among all Hispanics, 51% think abortion should be illegal in all or most cases, including 20% who think abortion should never be allowed.

On the issue of abortion, Hispanics overall have long been more likely to say it should be illegal in all or most cases. Over the last decade, this view has not changed much among all Hispanics, with between 51% and 57% saying abortion should be illegal in all or most cases (Pew Research Center, 2014c)

You can't rely on female votes to win an election anyway. Abortion as an issue is a very hot-button topic among Hispanics (never mind the US as a whole), and staking out a strong position on such a polarizing issue is not very good politics if you want to win the most votes.

edit: oops, hosed up a few urls

Chelb fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Oct 16, 2015

• Locked thread