Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

No worries, Vox had you covered before issue #1 was even on sale.

http://www.vox.com/2015/10/7/9468795/paper-girls-vaughan-chiang

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Anyone know when Dark Corridor #2 is coming?

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

TheQat posted:

Anyone know when Dark Corridor #2 is coming?
#3 was out on Wednesday :)

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Dunbar posted:

#3 was out on Wednesday :)

what the hell, i could swear I searched for it last night and couldn't find it. Thanks!

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Space Fish posted:

-teenage girls who swear - sassier Lumberjanes?

"Amelia Earhart of crap that does not matter" - how 12 year olds talk apparently

flush down all the 00s brogressive writers

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

So I picked up the entire current runs for Sex Criminals, Lazarus, East of West, Rat Queens, Deadly Class and Southern Bastards for less than $100. Thanks, absurd Image digital sale :thumbsup:

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

zoux posted:

So I picked up the entire current runs for Sex Criminals, Lazarus, East of West, Rat Queens, Deadly Class and Southern Bastards for less than $100. Thanks, absurd Image digital sale :thumbsup:

Yeah, but digital? I never feel like I really own them if I have them digitally, which is why I have a shelf of trades. Not disputing your choices though, rock solid.

Is this the right place to talk about Archie? I really like the reboot; Jughead is okay but not quite as good. The one thing I hate is that every issue is padded with classic Archie stories to make it seem longer.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Cloks posted:

Is this the right place to talk about Archie?

Here's the Archie Comics thread http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3560612&pagenumber=1
It could probably use a refresh since the OP has nothing about the relaunch.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

Cloks posted:

Yeah, but digital? I never feel like I really own them if I have them digitally, which is why I have a shelf of trades. Not disputing your choices though, rock solid.

You can download the 'backups' as cbz files or pdfs. I do this and store them on Google drive. So if comixology decides to be a dick and take away my comics, I'm covered.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Y'all weren't kidding about Southern Bastards. The first four issues are about the most chicken fried thing I've ever read.

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

Specialization is for insects.
Southern Bastards, Low, and Lazarus are my favorite comics running right now. Velvet is a close runner up.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Velvet's so slooooow tho.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I like Velvet a lot but I'm ready to start trade waiting for it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'm only a couple issues into Deadly Class and already I'm leery of its premise. Does it rise above it and do something interesting with the done to death framing of "orphan does awesome at secret society boarding academy"?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

zoux posted:

I'm only a couple issues into Deadly Class and already I'm leery of its premise. Does it rise above it and do something interesting with the done to death framing of "orphan does awesome at secret society boarding academy"?
Hahahaha. He doesn't do awesome. Not at all.

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

We still have not found a machine that can measure the intensity of love. We would all buy it.

zoux posted:

A large part of the series is about Marcus' teenage hubris. Dude is always biting off more than he can chew. It also has some of the funniest scenes I've read over the past year, year-and-a-half.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

pugnax posted:

Southern Bastards, Low, and Lazarus are my favorite comics running right now. Velvet is a close runner up.

Low is absolutely beautiful but after reading the first trade I thought it was awkward and poorly put together. It feels like they're trying to do an East of West thing where it's all in-media-res in a big developed and well historied world that we have to slowly learn about, but the actions that move us through the world seem jerky and hamhanded. Characters die before I care, enemies are enemies because they just told me rather than because they showed me, etc.

SB and Lazarus are awesome though.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
I think Deadly Class is probably in my top 5 ongoing books right now. I too was leery of its premise, which we've seen a thousand times before, but it really nails it. It is funny and violent and the characters are compelling.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

beergod posted:

I think Deadly Class is probably in my top 5 ongoing books right now. I too was leery of its premise, which we've seen a thousand times before, but it really nails it. It is funny and violent and the characters are compelling.

Yeah what I read wasn't bad per se, but it is a tired rear end premise. Seems like it rises above it, from what everyone is saying.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

It's briefly about entering Assassin School and hits its stride as Grungy Adolescent Allegory With Violence To Keep Things Lively.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Is that the book where he shits his pants while trying to fart? :v:

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
That's the one.

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

Specialization is for insects.

Sigma-X posted:

Low is absolutely beautiful but after reading the first trade I thought it was awkward and poorly put together. It feels like they're trying to do an East of West thing where it's all in-media-res in a big developed and well historied world that we have to slowly learn about, but the actions that move us through the world seem jerky and hamhanded. Characters die before I care, enemies are enemies because they just told me rather than because they showed me, etc.

SB and Lazarus are awesome though.

Interesting, this made me think that maybe Low is the rare book that doesn't lend itself well to trades/binging, because one of the reasons I like it is the general 'ok what the gently caress is going on now?! oh yeah we're trying to go to space!' that runs through my mind each issue. It definitely doesn't flow well, but somehow that gets smoothed out reading it with a bunch of space between issues. Actually, I think Velvet is sort of this way too.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

No Ananke, you are the demons.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
I really dig Low. The art is gorgeous, the limited color palette is cool, and the story is compelling enough. I also really dig Black Science so I may be biased.

What really sold me on it, though, was reading Remender's essay in the back of issue #1, talking about going to therapy and having a more positive outlook on life. He said he'd never written a character with unbridled optimism before, and that's what he was setting out to do with Low. After seeing how bleak Black Science can get, it was a refreshing change, and I want to see where he goes with these two titles side by side.

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

I really dig Black Science, but Low feels very chaotic to me. It is almost like there are pages missing, or I am not seeing some transitions.

I have the same with Snyder's Batman. Can't shake the feeling he uses 2 panels to tell something that should have been 3 and I'm puzzling too much to stay in the flow of the story.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

As shrill and tone deaf as she I is, I think Gillen means for us to agree with Urdr in W+D #15?

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

zoux posted:

As shrill and tone deaf as she I is, I think Gillen means for us to agree with Urdr in W+D #15?

That wouldn't surprise me, given Gillen's worldview, but to me at least Urdr only came off as utterly myopic and Amaterasu only came off as compassionate. "You're doing this wrong" is true insomuch as something has clearly gone very wrong indeed, but to throw that at someone and not even bother explaining yourself just makes you look stupid.

I'm still really glad Urdr's around to represent the whole "what the gently caress are we seriously wandering around pretending to be other culture's gods" viewpoint, but I also think we're not really supposed to like Urdr, and it's absolutely obvious her love of "truth" has only further enabled the real baddies to continue to kill and manipulate as they please.

The more I think about it, it's actually a really clever idea and critique of Urdr's viewpoint, showing that it's necessary to be self-aware while also pointing out how it can descend into self-obsession and only continue the cycle of dictatorially imposing one's ideals on others...which, like during Urdr's performance a couple issues ago, people often eat up but don't bother to truly understand or act upon.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I though they were the actual avatars of these gods. In that sense, it's ridiculous to accuse Ameratsu of willful appropriation.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Cross posting from the comics recommendation thread. Didn't notice this was recommendation thread as well.

I'm a terrible person and only really read mainline superhero books. My wife however seems to really be getting into indy stuff.

So far I've picked her up: Bitch Planet, Rat Queens, Lady Killer, and that first big rear end Saga omnibus.
She's enjoyed all those so far. She read walking dead and some invincible, but she finds super long story arcs a bit exhausting (and she's back in school and still working full time cuz she's basically wonder woman).

What do I grab next?

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

zoux posted:

I though they were the actual avatars of these gods. In that sense, it's ridiculous to accuse Ameratsu of willful appropriation.

Cassandra was always really skeptical of this idea that the Pantheon are literally gods, and always seemed to hate Amaterasu, going back to Issue #1. Apparently not even being a god has fully changed her opinion. Cassandra is also ethnically Japanese, and as a human was always immune to the gods' rapturous performances, which might play into things.

The question of whether or not they're actually avatars of the gods has always been an open question, made all the more mysterious by not really knowing who all the gods are and what they can actually do. But since it's the central conceit of the series that we accept that the gods come back for two years to be pop stars whether they like it or not, it does come off as super ridiculous.

trashbuilder
Dec 26, 2013

Look at all the poor opinions I have

Norns posted:

Cross posting from the comics recommendation thread. Didn't notice this was recommendation thread as well.

I'm a terrible person and only really read mainline superhero books. My wife however seems to really be getting into indy stuff.

So far I've picked her up: Bitch Planet, Rat Queens, Lady Killer, and that first big rear end Saga omnibus.
She's enjoyed all those so far. She read walking dead and some invincible, but she finds super long story arcs a bit exhausting (and she's back in school and still working full time cuz she's basically wonder woman).

What do I grab next?

Sex criminals

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
What is the consensus of "They're Not Like Us"?

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

SalTheBard posted:

It's Stephenson doing a riff on X-Men, in the same way Nowhere Men was a riff on the Fantastic Four. But it's better because it comes out at some point.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

Norns posted:

What do I grab next?
Pretty Deadly and Lazarus are great. The first is only 5 issues long (with #6 coming out in November). The latter has 3 discrete story arcs that are around 5 issues long each and is midway through the 4th arc.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

SalTheBard posted:

I like it. Like ElNarez said, it's very inspired by X-Men at best, knock off at worst, but I like to think of it as " X-Men, but if Xavier was an even bigger rear end in a top hat".

Art I'm mixed on. At first I thought it was ugly but its really grown on me and now I think its one of my favourite looking comics. Check out a preview of issue 1, if it doesn't look so bad that you refuse to even look at another page, check it out.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Uuuuuugh, Urdr. I guess godhood is the only thing possible that coulda cranked up her Holier Than Thou index. Whether the Pantheon are avatars of the "real" gods or not, it's not like any of them chose it let alone which god they became. If we were supposed to agree with her then Gillen's gone completely off his rocker but I don't think we were. I'm still waiting for the issues that explore Sahkmet and Minerva.

I also wasn't super jazzed about SexCrimz devoting the entire issue to the asex character but I did love the idea that anything that gives you intense pleasure can potentially grant you access to the Quiet. And that she already knew the Weeaboo Sex Angel Monster.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

Diet Poison posted:

Uuuuuugh, Urdr. I guess godhood is the only thing possible that coulda cranked up her Holier Than Thou index. Whether the Pantheon are avatars of the "real" gods or not, it's not like any of them chose it let alone which god they became. If we were supposed to agree with her then Gillen's gone completely off his rocker but I don't think we were. I'm still waiting for the issues that explore Sahkmet and Minerva.

I think you're supposed to agree with the "cultural appropriation is hosed up no matter how nice you are about it" part, and disagree with the "yell at kids for doing admittedly pretty dumb poo poo without trying to engage with them or know their whole deal" part. There's not really any completely good or completely bad guys in W+D. Except for Woden. gently caress Woden, seriously, because he is the worst.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Or whatever the gently caress game Ananke is playing at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Just started reading Fade Out after getting it from the sale. Holy poo poo this is good. It also makes me want to watch some noir.